• Luck
    • Griffin
    • Another Position
    • Trade the 1st pick

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RG3. Everyone has been talking about Vick these last couple of years and right here is the younger. bigger, faster (track speed) version who can pass/run. Manning is the starter but you can mix plays in right away with RG3. Imagine Manning and RG3 in the backfield together? Is it going to Manning or RG3? If to Manning, could he pass to RG3? If to RG3, Is he gonna pass or is he gonna run? Colts take the south and go on to win the superbowl next year, Manning retires a colt, and RG3 will be ready to run this high powered O into the future. Problem solved. No charge.

RG3. Everyone has been talking about Vick these last couple of years and right here is the younger. bigger, faster (track speed) version who can pass/run. Manning is the starter but you can mix plays in right away with RG3. Imagine Manning and RG3 in the backfield together? Is it going to Manning or RG3? If to Manning, could he pass to RG3? If to RG3, Is he gonna pass or is he gonna run? Colts take the south and go on to win the superbowl next year, Manning retires a colt, and RG3 will be ready to run this high powered O into the future. Problem solved. No charge.

Did you really just suggest a double QB package? hahaha

The A-11 offense is destroying high school and small college defenses. It may be the wave of the future.

It would really be something to see Vick and Newton paired in a backfield running it.

I don't think high school and small college defenses really compare to the NFL...

The wildcat, option, etc are fads in the NFL. They may work for a 6 games or so, until DCs figure out how to stop it. Same would happen with the A-11, it's not a long term solution to your offense.

Let's take a look at the past SuperBowl Champs going back to 2005...

GB- Rogers

NO- Brees

PITT- Big Ben

NYG- Eli

IND- Peyton

NE- Brady

You need star QBs to win SuperBowls these days. Big Ben is the weakest QB on that list and he was ranked the #5 overall QB by ESPNs John Clayton before the 2011 season.

Do you see Vick on that list? Rogers is the most mobile QB on the list and he rarely runs unless they are in the redzone.

We would be making a terrible mistake if we missed the opportunity to draft Andrew Luck with the #1 pick. He's the most "NFL ready" draft prospect this decade.

I think Andrew Luck is still a pretty safe pick even if Peyton is healthy. Granted, he may not want to stay if he finds out Manning is 100% and may play for 4 full years, but it's probably better to just take it in case.

I would rather trade the pick, but you never know what kind of risk that might bring...like winning some Super Bowls with Manning. That's a pretty awful idea. :manning:

It's a bad deal to build your team around possibly the most hyped prospect of the decade?

C'MON MAN

Peyton isn't healthy and will never be back to 100%, but for the sake of argument lets pretend he is...

You trade Luck for what? 3-4 years of more of Peyton and then????...Then we are terrible again, and have no QB.

Star QBs like Luck don't come around every single year in the draft.

Everyone is blinded by PM right now. Don't get me wrong, Peyton is my favorite player of all time, but his days of being the #1 QB in the league are over. Nobody knows for sure if he will ever be healthy again and we sure as heck wont know before the $28 million bonus deadline. Either PM restructures his contract (which he should considering we paid him $26 million to not step foot on the field last year) or he's gone, and even if he does restructure we will still take Luck #1.

Actually star QBs are in every single draft. Lets say Barkley decided to enter the draft this year. If you think there is a debate about RG3 or Luck, imagine if barkley was available too...

I am not sure that a player being the most "hyped" player in a decade is a good thing. All hype does is make someone or something sound better than they truly are (this years eagles team for example).

Yes, you trade the top pick for manning and more picks in the next 4 years. We build a great young team and win another SB and within the next 4 years we draft a QB to replace manning with one of our extra 1st or 2nd round picks we get from trading down.

Gabbert was supposed to be the best QB last year until Car said they were going with Newton.

To me, by releasing Manning and drafting Luck we are trading Manning and 2 1st rnd and 2 2nd rnd picks for Luck. If Manning can play next year, not trading down is just plain stupid.

wow people still wanna draft Luck if Peyton is healthy and will play a few more years.

hmm....how many times do this needs to be said, LUck will not sit and wait!!!

at least read the poll question correctly

Actually, the question on the poll and the question posted by the original poster were different. Poll question was if Peyton is healthy and stays (no time frame mentioned) and the first post stated "For this poll, lets say PM is playing for us this upcoming season. Who do you want?"

So, based upon the question in the post which put a time frame of this upcoming season, I voted for Luck. Meaning he'd take over in 2013.

If I knew Peyton was going to be here 4-5 more years, then I'd trade the pick for more picks and players to fix the defense. Of course, we have to "assume" Peyton would remain healthy for 4-5 more years.

Actually star QBs are in every single draft. Lets say Barkley decided to enter the draft this year. If you think there is a debate about RG3 or Luck, imagine if barkley was available too...

I am not sure that a player being the most "hyped" player in a decade is a good thing. All hype does is make someone or something sound better than they truly are (this years eagles team for example).

Yes, you trade the top pick for manning and more picks in the next 4 years. We build a great young team and win another SB and within the next 4 years we draft a QB to replace manning with one of our extra 1st or 2nd round picks we get from trading down.

Gabbert was supposed to be the best QB last year until Car said they were going with Newton.

To me, by releasing Manning and drafting Luck we are trading Manning and 2 1st rnd and 2 2nd rnd picks for Luck. If Manning can play next year, not trading down is just plain stupid.

Actually even when Barkley was thought to be coming out there was no debate. Luck was considered a better prospect. A few people are claiming there is a debate between RG3 and Luck now because A.) RG3 won the heisman and B.) people need some kind of story for the draft. Luck is still viewed as the better player and again, has been consistently the best prospect (out of all positions) for the past 2 years.

As for Gabbert...it was clearly a case of people falling in love with Gabberts size and arm strength it what was considered a weak QB draft at the time (ended up being a pretty good one). I admit that McShay considered him a great prospect and I just never understood it. I watched alot of Gabbert in college and I never saw what the hype was about. He was a slightly above average college QB who played in a spread offense and was the king of checkdowns. I also never saw Gabbert really command that offense and never got a sense of him being a leader of that team.

Having seen plenty of Luck and Gabbert in college there is absolutely no comparison in terms of their college careers. Luck has looked far far more impressive than Gabbert ever has IMO.

It's a bad deal to build your team around possibly the most hyped prospect of the decade?

C'MON MAN

Peyton isn't healthy and will never be back to 100%, but for the sake of argument lets pretend he is...

You trade Luck for what? 3-4 years of more of Peyton and then????...Then we are terrible again, and have no QB.

Star QBs like Luck don't come around every single year in the draft.

Everyone is blinded by PM right now. Don't get me wrong, Peyton is my favorite player of all time, but his days of being the #1 QB in the league are over. Nobody knows for sure if he will ever be healthy again and we sure as heck wont know before the $28 million bonus deadline. Either PM restructures his contract (which he should considering we paid him $26 million to not step foot on the field last year) or he's gone, and even if he does restructure we will still take Luck #1.

"star" wow.... To much koolaid....he has yet to play a down in the NFL he's far from a star, you already had it right a the first time "prospect".

Ok now see I'm about to answer your question, but you have to answer mine next, cause no has yet. K good.

We already kno Peyton will make the offense great again, so we draft defense and with 4 yep 4 first round picks on defense the next 2 years that defense will beable to carry Peyton through his golden year, which I believe he'll be great until the day he calls it a quits. So add in a 1st round runningback the following year maybe 2nd 3rd round linemen and were a great team without Peyton, like Baltimore and Seattle of the early 2000s.

IF, Peyton ain't himself next year trade up with your 2 1st rounders and take a "star", which I still wouldn't suggest but would understand.

But keep in mind I believe all athletes are overpaid(altho I believe the best should get paid the most per market), and if were going to do this for Peyton, Irsay, after he pays him the bonus, should talk to Peyton about a pay cut. And Peyton should agree.

Now remember you said for the sake ofthe argument.

So my question to you, if Andrew is a bust where do we go from there? Especially if Peyton is cut, that same media who is stirring all this crap up will be the ones with the O faces saying what did u guys do. Not to mention the back lash of the fans.

I think Andrew Luck is still a pretty safe pick even if Peyton is healthy. Granted, he may not want to stay if he finds out Manning is 100% and may play for 4 full years, but it's probably better to just take it in case.

I would rather trade the pick, but you never know what kind of risk that might bring...like winning some Super Bowls with Manning. That's a pretty awful idea. :manning:

In what way can you assume Manning will be fit for four more years? He's 35 and with 3 neck surgeries over the last year or so. They don't even know if he'll be fit to play EVER AGAIN. I think assuming Luck will sit behind Manning for four more years is ridiculous.

And on another point, what makes you think Manning coming back will win us Super Bowls? Manning took us to two in 12 years, winning one of them. Yet after a year out of the game, a dodgy neck, ageing and in a poor team suddenly his return will send us to Super Bowl glory?

I understand your love for Manning, we all do - but sometimes it seems a bit like blind faith.

In what way can you assume Manning will be fit for four more years? He's 35 and with 3 neck surgeries over the last year or so. They don't even know if he'll be fit to play EVER AGAIN. I think assuming Luck will sit behind Manning for four more years is ridiculous.

And on another point, what makes you think Manning coming back will win us Super Bowls? Manning took us to two in 12 years, winning one of them. Yet after a year out of the game, a dodgy neck, ageing and in a poor team suddenly his return will send us to Super Bowl glory?

I understand your love for Manning, we all do - but sometimes it seems a bit like blind faith.

Olly, you must have missed Doogs wonderful explaination of how when Manning comes back his age will magically be 31 instead of 36? Didn't you know that when you have 3 neck surgeries and spend a yr. out of football, you somehow come back 5 yrs. younger than before. It must be great living in Doogs world of magical funland, but here in the realm of reality, thats not how things work.

"star" wow.... To much koolaid....he has yet to play a down in the NFL he's far from a star, you already had it right a the first time "prospect".

Ok now see I'm about to answer your question, but you have to answer mine next, cause no has yet. K good.

We already kno Peyton will make the offense great again, so we draft defense and with 4 yep 4 first round picks on defense the next 2 years that defense will beable to carry Peyton through his golden year, which I believe he'll be great until the day he calls it a quits. So add in a 1st round runningback the following year maybe 2nd 3rd round linemen and were a great team without Peyton, like Baltimore and Seattle of the early 2000s.

IF, Peyton ain't himself next year trade up with your 2 1st rounders and take a "star", which I still wouldn't suggest but would understand.

But keep in mind I believe all athletes are overpaid(altho I believe the best should get paid the most per market), and if were going to do this for Peyton, Irsay, after he pays him the bonus, should talk to Peyton about a pay cut. And Peyton should agree.

Now remember you said for the sake ofthe argument.

So my question to you, if Andrew is a bust where do we go from there? Especially if Peyton is cut, that same media who is stirring all this crap up will be the ones with the O faces saying what did u guys do. Not to mention the back lash of the fans.

Yes, STAR. This most hyped QB since some dudes named Peyton Manning and John Elway, ever heard of them?

What if he's a bust? Well then we're >>>ed...There is no reason to believe he will be a bust though?

What if we pay Peyton $28 Million and he isn't able to play in 2012? Then we have no cap room to give Andrew any kind of supporting cast and we will surely have another terrible year.

Do you honestly believe PM will be able to show us he can play before the bonus deadline? HIGHLY doubtful and he's not going to restructure his contract so we can trade him, that would diminish the team he would go to. He's going to be cut and probably retire or possibly play in NY, Zona, DC, or somewhere else.

By the way I know I was suppose to "pretend" Peyton is 100% for the poll but I don't find that realistic.

Olly, you must have missed Doogs wonderful explaination of how when Manning comes back his age will magically be 31 instead of 36? Didn't you know that when you have 3 neck surgeries and spend a yr. out of football, you somehow come back 5 yrs. younger than before. It must be great living in Doogs world of magical funland, but here in the realm of reality, thats not how things work.

If that works, why don't we send Peyton back to get 6 additional neck surgeries and take 2 more years off football. By this method, he will return at 21 years old, and we can play him for another 15 years!

Yes, STAR. This most hyped QB since some dudes named Peyton Manning and John Elway, ever heard of them?

What if he's a bust? Well then we're >>>ed...There is no reason to believe he will be a bust though?

What if we pay Peyton $28 Million and he isn't able to play in 2012? Then we have no cap room to give Andrew any kind of supporting cast and we will surely have another terrible year.

Do you honestly believe PM will be able to show us he can play before the bonus deadline? HIGHLY doubtful and he's not going to restructure his contract so we can trade him, that would diminish the team he would go to. He's going to be cut and probably retire or possibly play in NY, Zona, DC, or somewhere else.

By the way I know I was suppose to "pretend" Peyton is 100% for the poll but I don't find that realistic.

no i didnt mean restructure so we can trade him, i mean so we can pay top FA to come here so we can do a 3pete, witrh PM at the helm, lets not for get we are only 1 year removed from a 10-6 team(everybody hurt/poor coaching) and 2 from a SB contending team.

but if PM isnt healthy or doesnt think he'll be ready by the dead line(which i think he is nowIMO) then we of course he should push that date back or cut him and then resign him at a much cheaper rate.

BUT....with that said...because the media has put such a twist on this, and has everybody in a up roar, and thinking hes the villian, Peyton is gonna say, "Mr. Irsay im not healthy yet and i dont know if ill be able to play come the start of the season." So he'll get cut so no one looks like that bad guy, but some how he'll be healthy enough to get signed by someone else and will be ready the start of the season, oh its a merical... thats the way PM is, always taking the high road.

^this

Id prefer them to take Luck and I think they will.

But IF* Peyton is given a clean bill of health I wouldnt be mad if they traded down either. Slightly letdown, but not mad.

He has a clean bill of health now, contact and all since December if that rumor is true. It remains to be seen if he gets the power back. He'll probably get it eventually, but March 8th is the due date. With that..Luck.

He has a clean bill of health now, contact and all since December if that rumor is true. It remains to be seen if he gets the power back. He'll probably get it eventually, but March 8th is the due date. With that..Luck.

Youre right. I guess if his arm strength is returning by the deadline would be the way to put it.

Using the word hype undercuts your own arguement.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hype

hype

1   [hahyp] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA verb, hyped, hyp·ing, noun Informal .

verb (used with object)

to stimulate, excite, or agitate (usually followed by up ): She was hyped up at the thought of owning her own car.

to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods; promote or publicize showily: a promoter who knows how to hype a prizefight.

to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) by ingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc. (usually followed by up ).

to trick; gull.

noun

exaggerated publicity; hoopla.

an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.

a swindle, deception, or trick.

The #1 rule of business - buy low, sell high.....right now, Luck is at an all-time high......

I have been told about this post, remarkable isn't it? I don't know why people don't do it more often!

If that works, why don't we send Peyton back to get 6 additional neck surgeries and take 2 more years off football. By this method, he will return at 21 years old, and we can play him for another 15 years!

Forget that! If we're serious about rebuilding let's do this properly. Sign LOADS of undrafted FAs, enough to fill squad requirements. While we do that, let's send out everyone aging - Reggie, Saturday, Brackett etc, call up Marvin, Edge and the gang, even get in contact with Bob Sanders again. Send them all to a hospital for a couple of years and give them 6 neck surgeries each - not to forget no football and no exercise art all! Bam, team full of elite rookies. Thank heaven for the magical anti-aging tactic, Doogan!

We're sure to win SBs this way, as long as we don't draft Luck, then we've got no chance, even with our attack of 21 year old Peyton, Reggie, Marvin and Edge. Mathematical fact.

Forget that! If we're serious about rebuilding let's do this properly. Sign LOADS of undrafted FAs, enough to fill squad requirements. While we do that, let's send out everyone aging - Reggie, Saturday, Brackett etc, call up Marvin, Edge and the gang, even get in contact with Bob Sanders again. Send them all to a hospital for a couple of years and give them 6 neck surgeries each - not to forget no football and no exercise art all! Bam, team full of elite rookies. Thank heaven for the magical anti-aging tactic, Doogan!

And while we're at it, sign up the old Saints 'Dome Patrol' linebackers and sign them up, get them to have a load of neck surgeries and they'll be back, good as new!

Could someone please make a case for Luck without using ridiculous hype like "best since", "sure thing", "once in a generation", and "stupid not to"? Just make a simple case based on stats and experience like you would for any other rookie.

Watch some film and make up your own mind. "They" say a lot of stuff, but the only place you"ll find negative mentions of him are here, people wanting to tear an acl ect. His game looks polished to me.

My point is that Elway and Manning were also hyped. They seemed to have pretty decent careers...

Aside from those two, not many QBs drafted number 1 have had steller careers. I think only Elway, Aikman, and the Manning brothers played in a SB and won. They account for 7 SB victories (so far) between them in the nearly 30 years since Elway came in the league. Ryan Leaf was hyped just as much as Manning in 1998 and how did that turn out. Tim Couch was supposed to be a great Pro QB. Alex Smith may yet pull his career back from the brink, thanks to Jim Harbaugh, I think. Jamarcus Russell I discount because of the Al Davis factor. No way in heck he should have ever been a #1 overall pick.

I'll boil it down to this, IMO Luck has as much chance of having a Carson Palmer-ish carreer as a Manning-esque career. And Carson Palmer is not capable of leading his team to the Super Bowl. I would rather, assuming Manning is reasonably healthy, go with 4 more years of Manning and trade the top pick for talent to put around Manning. At the same time, be looking out for a QB to groom as Manning's replacement in later rounds, not necessarily in this coming draft.

Aside from those two, not many QBs drafted number 1 have had steller careers. I think only Elway, Aikman, and the Manning brothers played in a SB and won.

That is because not many teams have the "opportunity" to pick at #1 overall. One must truly perform at the lowest level to "achieve" the number one pick. What is a better measure is to look at how 1st round QBs perform.

1. Joe Namath - pre-consolidation days, picked by both NFL (Cards) and AFL (Jets), SBIII

2. Bob Griese - 1st round (4th overall) pick Dolphins, SBVII and SBVIII

3. Terry Bradshaw - 1st overall pick Steelers, SB IX, X, XII, XIII

4. Jim Plunkett - 1st overall pick Patriots, SB XV, XVIII

5. Jim McMahon - 1st round (5th overall) pick Bears, SB XX

6. Phil Simms - 1st round (7th overall) pick Giants, SB XXI

7. Doug Williams - 1st round (17th overall) pick Bucs, SB XXII

8. Troy Aikman - 1st overall pick Cowboys, SB XXVII, XXVIII, XXX

9. Steve Young - signed with USFL LAExpress, SB XXIX

10. John Elway - 1st overall pick Colts to Broncos, SB XXXII, XXXIII

11. Trent Dilfer - 1st round (6th overall) pick Bucs, SB XXXV

12. Ben Roethlisberger - 1st round (11th overall) pick Steelers, SB XL, XLIII

13. Peyton Manning - 1st overall pick Colts, SB XLI

14. Eli Manning - 1st overall pick Chargers to Giants, SB XLII

15. Aaron Rodgers - 1st round (24th overall) to Packers, SB XLV

Of the 45 SBs to date, 1st round QBs led the winning teams 24 times. That is over 50%

If you want statistics closer to home, look at this thread : http://forums.colts....ping-bench-qbs/

It documents all the QBs picked by the Colts throughout history, and you can judge for yourself if 1st round picks are more successful than later round picks.

Granted, there is no guarantee that a 1st round QB pick will lead you to win a SB. However, the chances are much better for a 1st round QB pick than a later round QB pick.

History has shown that.

That is because not many teams have the "opportunity" to pick at #1 overall. One must truly perform at the lowest level to "achieve" the number one pick. What is a better measure is to look at how 1st round QBs perform.

*SNIP*

Granted, there is no guarantee that a 1st round QB pick will lead you to win a SB. However, the chances are much better for a 1st round QB pick than a later round QB pick.

History has shown that.

All that is irrelevant to the discussion. The real question is if Luck is too good of a prospect to pass up. In my mind, I don't believe any player can be that until he has proven himself in the NFL. Manning has proved himself, Luck has not yet. Therefore, I would rather have 4 years or so of Manning than 10+ years of Luck. Assuming Manning is healthy. Think about it this way, there are several teams who would instantly become SB favorites if a healthy Manning joined their team. Ravens, Jets, 49ers to name a few.

All that is irrelevant to the discussion. The real question is if Luck is too good of a prospect to pass up. In my mind, I don't believe any player can be that until he has proven himself in the NFL. Manning has proved himself, Luck has not yet. Therefore, I would rather have 4 years or so of Manning than 10+ years of Luck. Assuming Manning is healthy. Think about it this way, there are several teams who would instantly become SB favorites if a healthy Manning joined their team. Ravens, Jets, 49ers to name a few.

"Assuming Manning is healthy (BEFORE MARCH 8TH)"...I don't see that happening

Peyton is 36 years old and has a bad neck. Do you really think he can play 4 more years at a high level after having 3 MAJOR neck surgeries in under 2 years? If we were positive he was going to come back before next season at 100% health, I could see your argument. In fact, I would probably agree with you, but the fact of the matter is that it's VERY doubtful he's coming back in the same shape he was in for the first 13 years of his career.

That being said, the time is now to start to build around a QB who has been touted as "once in a generation".

That's not the real question. The real question is who should the Colts pick as their QB for the future given that Peyton will be 36 this upcoming season, and is uncertain of coming off 3 neck surgeries healthy enough to play at a top level. Even if Luck or RG3 aren't there in this upcoming draft, the Colts need to pick a QB for the future, or they are doomed to repeat this past season. And they are better off using their first round pick (even if it wasn't the #1 overall pick) on that QB. History has shown that 1st round QBs have a better probability for NFL success than later round QBs.

The main flaw in your analysis is the massive assumption that Peyton will be healthy enough to play this upcoming season. The fact of the matter is that we don't know if that is the case yet. In the absence of such knowledge, the management needs to make contingent plans. The past management was fired for failing to make contingent plans in the scenario when the starting QB goes down to injury.

You got me thinking about building a team vs building a team around a franchise QB. So I ran a couple of trade scenarios based on the rumor that Jeff Fisher wants Luck.

The Colts trade #1 and #34 to the Rams for Picks #2, #33, #66 and #97, so basically they are swapping picks in rounds 1 and 2 and then getting back to back picks in rounds 3 and 4. I think this would go a long way into still getting, perhaps, a franchise QB in RGIII and yet getting a lot of additional picks to build up a team.

Of course, I have no idea how Grigson will do the draft, but the players they've been looking at at the Senior Bowl are guys projected in round 3-6 rather than 1 and 2. So te additonal picks would give them a lot more flexibility to either trade and move up or just get more picks.

That's not the real question. The real question is who should the Colts pick as their QB for the future given that Peyton will be 36 this upcoming season, and is uncertain of coming off 3 neck surgeries healthy enough to play at a top level. Even if Luck or RG3 aren't there in this upcoming draft, the Colts need to pick a QB for the future, or they are doomed to repeat this past season. And they are better off using their first round pick (even if it wasn't the #1 overall pick) on that QB. History has shown that 1st round QBs have a better probability for NFL success than later round QBs.

The main flaw in your analysis is the massive assumption that Peyton will be healthy enough to play this upcoming season. The fact of the matter is that we don't know if that is the case yet. In the absence of such knowledge, the management needs to make contingent plans. The past management was fired for failing to make contingent plans in the scenario when the starting QB goes down to injury.

First post of the thread:

Lets say Peytons healthy and stays

Everything I posted was based on that scope. If you want to ignore that and go off on a tangent, go ahead but I am not going down that path, in this thread.