Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson says Luck's contract affects Colts Defense

lollygagger8

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He shouldn't have made the comment at all then. What he said about what needs to be done moving forward is obvious. It's the past that he needs to fully set the record straight on.

The defense isn't going to take awhile to build because Luck has a big contract. It's going to take awhile because for the 4 years Luck was on a rookie contract he's failed to hit on his draft picks as he mentioned, and failed in FA. Lucks contract is only a recent hinderance.

Moving forward...

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/7/2016 at 2:37 PM, lollygagger8 said:

He couldn`t build an offensive line or a defense.
 He needs to Actually be Great the next few years to get back to even.
  This season will be another pass for him by daddy Irsay.
 I hope it is his Last pass based on performance. Go Colts! Whip dem Bears! :applause:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The comment is not helpful to the Colts organization.

I did a sweep of media outlets yesterday....   ESPN,  NFL.com...   CBS Sports,  NBC Sports,  Bleacher Report...

Everyone says Grigson looks like he's blaming Luck for Grigson's failures.     

That's why the butt-hurt.        This is a self-inflicted wound.      It was not necessary.     The Colts have enough problems surrounding the franchise at 1-3,  that we didn't need to pour gasoline on our own fire.

You can look no further than Zak Keefer for the "gasoline pouring."  l listened to the whole thing in real-time on Thursday, and nothing stood out to me other than the fact that I thought it was a good interview. Grigson saying he missed on defensive draft picks in '13 and '14, and that he can't afford to make those mistakes moving forward, does not translate to "It's Andrew Luck's fault we have a bad defense." It just doesn't, no matter how you spin it.

Keefer went out of his way to tweet those pull-quotes from the interview, prior to tweeting out the link for the full audio, because he knew it would generate clicks, and now like clockwork, every sports media outlet is running with the story. It's a joke, and of course, Colts fans are just eating it up.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You can look no further than Zak Keefer for the "gasoline pouring."  l listened to the whole thing in real-time on Thursday, and nothing stood out to me other than the fact that I thought it was a good interview. Grigson saying he missed on defensive draft picks in '13 and '14, and that he can't afford to make those mistakes moving forward, does not translate to "It's Andrew Luck's fault we have a bad defense." It just doesn't, no matter how you spin it.

Keefer went out of his way to tweet those pull-quotes from the interview, prior to tweeting out the link for the full audio, because he knew it would generate clicks, and now like clockwork, every sports media outlet is running with the story. It's a joke, and of course, Colts fans are just eating it up.

No idea why everyone is defending him this little our of context quote isn't what hurt him him. Him sucking the past 4 years is what hurt him this just brings it up again weather it's right or wrong. I'm sure the media could see with their own eyes that he is a trash GM before this little quote. The real joke is this front office.

I not a Grigson fan. Trent Richardson, loosing that pick, blown picks, HONESTLY for a guy whos strong suit was player evaluations I think he is FAIR at best. And I think that is being kind!! Draft better and you have a better defense, just that simple. Amazing the Patriots, pay Brady a boat load of money and they have a defense. Grigson bothers me & even if what he said was true, which I don't think it is, hes passing the buck, & IMO conversation like that should be kept in house!

10 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

No idea why everyone is defending him this little our of context quote isn't what hurt him him. Him sucking the past 4 years is what hurt him this just brings it up again weather it's right or wrong. I'm sure the media could see with their own eyes that he is a trash GM before this little quote. The real joke is this front office.

Agree

4 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Draft better and you have a better defense, just that simple. Amazing the Patriots, pay Brady a boat load of money and they have a defense. Grigson bothers me & even if what he said was true, which I don't think it is, hes passing the buck, & IMO conversation like that should be kept in house!

What's funny, is that's essentially what he said. That he has to draft better, or else the defense isn't going to improve.

And it's interesting that you bring up the Patriots, considering that today they released G Jonathan Cooper, the guy that they JUST traded Chandler Jones for this past offseason. That is a huge bust for a talent like Jones, an explosive LB with really good pass rushing skills, that's playing well for Arizona, for an offensive linemen that doesn't even make it through week 5. They got a draft pick out of the deal, so it's not a total loss, but ultimately they ended up on the wrong side of that deal. They really could've used Jones against Buffalo last week.

39 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

What's funny, is that's essentially what he said. That he has to draft better, or else the defense isn't going to improve.

And it's interesting that you bring up the Patriots, considering that today they released G Jonathan Cooper, the guy that they JUST traded Chandler Jones for this past offseason. That is a huge bust for a talent like Jones, an explosive LB with really good pass rushing skills, that's playing well for Arizona, for an offensive linemen that doesn't even make it through week 5. They got a draft pick out of the deal, so it's not a total loss, but ultimately they ended up on the wrong side of that deal. They really could've used Jones against Buffalo last week.

They could have but the Patriots lost that game because of the offense not the defense. If you score no points, you will almost certainly lose. The difference between the Colts and Patriots MOST of the Patriot moves work out for the most part. We are like less than 50% on our moves. Thats to bad about Cooper he has been tought of highly, I like him, but glad it didn't work out for the Patriots!!

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

By everyone,  I was referring to the media.....

As to agendas.....

The Indianapolis Colts are more than just the organization and its fan base.

The Colts are 1/32nd of the NFL.     There are 31 other teams and their fan bases.   When the GM says something like what Grigson said publicly,  the whole NFL community responds.  

Right or wrong,  fair or not,   that's what happens.

To pretend no one else should be bothered simply because you're not bothered misses the Big Picture.         And the big picture says it was not helpful,  but worse, it hurts the organization.     And it simply wasn't needed.

So what? Exactly who cares that really matters?

I couldn't care any less what the media spins into what they want to make themselves a story with.

How does it hurt the organization?

Irsay has pretty think skin as pretty much the whole front office does.

You seemed more bent over it that is needed when it makes no difference.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I couldn't care any less what the media spins into what they want to make themselves a story with.

I'm not the only one who's bent....    look at this this thread.

And it doesn't help the team.     There will be questions brought into the locker-room by the media.

And they'll ask Luck...   and they'll ask other players....        that doesn't help.

And when Luck meets with the game day broadcast crew a few nights before the game,  they'll ask about it too,  and they'll report about it on the broadcast.... 

It will go on and on.....      especially if the team struggles....    just like the story about Grigson and Pagano hating each other last year surfaced and got more intense during the season.      That didn't help either.

Things like this rarely make "no difference"....

Just because it makes no difference to you,  doesn't mean it makes no difference to to other people.

The Colts don't live in a vacuum,  or a bubble.

I'm not saying this is going to ruin the Colts season.      Only that it wasn't helpful and it shouldn't have come from the GM.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

This team has people who say the stupidest stuff at times.

Embarrassing.........

Just out of curiosity have you read or listened to the whole interview?

I think if you took the time what Grigson said was not out of line or stupid. Don't judge without putting it in context as it was said.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not the only one who's bent....    look at this this thread.

And it doesn't help the team.     There will be questions brought into the locker-room by the media.

And they'll ask Luck...   and they'll ask other players....        that doesn't help.

And when Luck meets with the game day broadcast crew a few nights before the game,  they'll ask about it too,  and they'll report about it on the broadcast.... 

It will go on and on.....      especially if the team struggles....    just like the story about Grigson and Pagano hating each other last year surfaced and got more intense during the season.      That didn't help either.

Things like this rarely make "no difference"....

Just because it makes no difference to you,  doesn't mean it makes no difference to to other people.

The Colts don't live in a vacuum,  or a bubble.

I'm not saying this is going to ruin the Colts season.      Only that it wasn't helpful and it shouldn't have come from the GM.

You didn't even read it or listen to it did you?

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have several times....  and posted about it.

By the way,  one last add.....     Because Andrew Luck is Andrew Luck,  it's entirely possible that this will completely blow over and be totally forgotten.  

My objection is a good GM should've been smart enough never to say that publicly.      And our GM, a guy who I back for 4 years.......   wasn't.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have several times....  and posted about it.

By the way,  one last add.....     Because Andrew Luck is Andrew Luck,  it's entirely possible that this will completely blow over and be totally forgotten.  

My objection is a good GM should've been smart enough never to say that publicly.      And our GM, a guy who I back for 4 years.......   wasn't.

So what you are saying means more to you than the players themselves?

Where in Grigsons comments was he not truthful?

I just think you are making too big of a deal of it because the media has blown it up. Context is everything but some just don't get that concept.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You may not care what the media says but you sure get butt hurt anytime someone criticizes Irsay, Grigs or Pags on this board

Why do you insist on defending them on every single thing?

16 hours ago, Bogie said:

Well, for once he is right about something. Luck's contract is insane and it will be impossible for them to build a team for years to come since they're strapped down to this massive contract to a quarterback, who is very prone to getting injured again. Luck already is under poor protection as evident from the four games this season. All that money was paid to a QB who could easily get hurt in the next game and then that's a bunch of wasted money. 

Look at Baltimore after Flacco's massive deal or the Saints after Brees big contract. And Luck got paid more than both of them and he don't have a Super Bowl ring or the stats to truly defend such a crazy contract. Luck is 3-8 as a starter since that epic stomping they had in the AFCCG 2 years ago. There is absolutely nothing to justify that insane contract whatsoever. 

I concur

3 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

You may not care what the media says but you sure get butt hurt anytime someone criticizes Irsay, Grigs or Pags on this board

Why do you insist on defending them on every single thing?

Just because I don't share your opinion or point of view on things you call it butt hurt?

I am sorry you are so sensitive.

20 hours ago, Bogie said:

Well, for once he is right about something. Luck's contract is insane and it will be impossible for them to build a team for years to come since they're strapped down to this massive contract to a quarterback, who is very prone to getting injured again. Luck already is under poor protection as evident from the four games this season. All that money was paid to a QB who could easily get hurt in the next game and then that's a bunch of wasted money. 

Look at Baltimore after Flacco's massive deal or the Saints after Brees big contract. And Luck got paid more than both of them and he don't have a Super Bowl ring or the stats to truly defend such a crazy contract. Luck is 3-8 as a starter since that epic stomping they had in the AFCCG 2 years ago. There is absolutely nothing to justify that insane contract whatsoever. 

Luck's contract isn't insane, he's a franchise QB and we had to sign him. Any team in desperate need of a Good QB would've signed him to that contract with his potential GREAT talent. In 2 seasons he wont even be the highest paid player, why you cant comprehend what I am saying just baffles me when we discuss this. What would you suggest, just not sign him and let him walk? Trade him? He is only 27 years old so not having a SB win yet shouldn't shock anyone, I didn't think he would even come close to a SB win until season 6 or 7 when he entered the league after a complete rebuild and we made it to the AFCCG in his 3rd season. It took Peyton 9 seasons before he won one. Remember the "epic stomping" your Saints took in the NFCCG in 2006 against a Rex Grossman led Bears team 39-14? Then Brees was 7-9 in 2007 and 8-8 in 2008 but yet went on to win the SB in 2009. Football is a strange game, let Luck's career play out a bit before you say he isn't worth the money. How about the previous 4 years from 2012-2015 when Luck was getting paid peanuts? Why couldn't Grigson at least build an Above Average Defense that would help Luck out more? Luck isn't the problem at all this season, he only has 3 INT's and the Colts are averaging 27 Points a game.

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Luck's contract isn't insane, he's a franchise QB and we had to sign him. Any team in desperate need of a Good QB would've signed him to that contract with his potential GREAT talent. In 2 seasons he wont even be the highest paid player, why you cant comprehend what I am saying just baffles me when we discuss this. What would you suggest, just not sign him and let him walk? Trade him? He is only 27 years old so not having a SB win yet shouldn't shock anyone, I didn't think he would even come close to a SB win until season 6 or 7 when he entered the league after a complete rebuild and we made it to the AFCCG in his 3rd season. It took Peyton 9 seasons before he won one. Remember the "epic stomping" your Saints took in the NFCCG in 2006 against a Rex Grossman led Bears team 39-14? Then Brees was 7-9 in 2007 and 8-8 in 2008 but yet went on to win the SB in 2009. Football is a strange game, let Luck's career play out a bit before you say he isn't worth the money. How about the previous 4 years from 2012-2015 when Luck was getting paid peanuts? Why couldn't Grigson at least build an Above Average Defense that would help Luck out more? Luck isn't the problem at all this season, he only has 3 INT's and the Colts are averaging 27 Points a game.

Don't waste your time with him.

He doesn't get it.     He'll never get it.      He's not interested in getting it.

He's interested in his opinion and his opinion only.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So what you are saying means more to you than the players themselves?

Where in Grigsons comments was he not truthful?

I just think you are making too big of a deal of it because the media has blown it up. Context is everything but some just don't get that concept.

1.   How do you know what this means to players?

2.   The main point I've made about Grigson's comment is that he should have never ever said it publicly.

2a.    We can debate whether it's true or not,  but saying it publicly I don't think is a debatable issue.     We've seen the aftermath, and it's not pretty.

3.    The needed context is that it shouldn't have been made public.    Everything after that is on Grigson for making it public when there was no need to.       Some things are best left behind closed doors.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It appears YOU'RE the one who hasn't followed this thread.

Because if you had,  you would've noticed at least FOUR of my posts that would've answered your questions.

In one, I posted the link to the story from NFL.com and said that it had a link to the audio,  and that Grigson's comment was at the 3:45 mark of the story.

In another,  I said that Grigson's comment was only about 5 seconds long...

And in a third,  I listed all the websites I have visited and read and that I had heard about the story on the NFL channel of XM radio....    

plus,  that there was a fourth post that noted that NFL radio devoted at least an entire segment (maybe two) called Ryan Grigson and Andrew Lucks contract.

At this moment,  this thread is 4 and a half pages long....   that's roughly 140 posts....   there are many, many more people who are bothered by this than just me....    I think your view is the minority view,  not mine.

1.   How do you know what this means to players?

2.   The main point I've made about Grigson's comment is that he should have never ever said it publicly.

2a.    We can debate whether it's true or not,  but saying it publicly I don't think is a debatable issue.     We've seen the aftermath, and it's not pretty.

3.    The needed context is that it shouldn't have been made public.    Everything after that is on Grigson for making it public when there was no need to.       Some things are best left behind closed doors.

1- You are the one who brought up Luck and said he would blow it off, not me.

2- So when Grigson says nothing most give him crap about not saying nothing and when he does he still gets crap?

3- Like I said, context is everything and you and a few more have made an issue out of this when there was no issue. You can swallow all the media kool aid you want.

It appears YOU'RE the one who hasn't followed this thread.

Because if you had,  you would've noticed at least FOUR of my posts that would've answered your questions.

In one, I posted the link to the story from NFL.com and said that it had a link to the audio,  and that Grigson's comment was at the 3:45 mark of the story.

In another,  I said that Grigson's comment was only about 5 seconds long...

And in a third,  I listed all the websites I have visited and read and that I had heard about the story on the NFL channel of XM radio....    

plus,  that there was a fourth post that noted that NFL radio devoted at least an entire segment (maybe two) called Ryan Grigson and Andrew Lucks contract.

At this moment,  this thread is 4 and a half pages long....   that's roughly 140 posts....   there are many, many more people who are bothered by this than just me....    I think your view is the minority view,  not mine.

Yes all the Grigson haters are jumping on the media bandwagon. Not surprising.

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes all the Grigson haters are jumping on the media bandwagon. Not surprising.

That's what happens in the real world.     This is bigger than just the Colts family.    The media makes it so.

By the way.......   if you'd like to end this hear and now...   I'd be perfectly fine with that.     You have your views, and I have mine and we're in opposite corners....

Perhaps that would be best?

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's what happens in the real world.     This is bigger than just the Colts family.    The media makes it so.

By the way.......   if you'd like to end this hear and now...   I'd be perfectly fine with that.     You have your views, and I have mine and we're in opposite corners....

Yes I agree with ending this. But my last comment is the media is not the real world. They sensationalize issues to give themselves more attention. I guess you could call it the real fake world?

IMO the disconnect seems to be on the whole reset button theory Superman laid out earlier. Irsay, Grigson, and Pagano may indeed be looking at this as a reset,  and willing to overlook the past and start with a clean slate. However the fans, media, etc... are not going to buy into that philosophy. Right or wrong most are not going to be willing to just give them a "mulligan" and disregard all the past mistakes. 

I believe for people to move past it Grigson needs the players from this past draft to be looking like they are going to be key pieces/high level players by the end of this season; and he needs to knock both the next draft and free agency out of the park. If he manages that I believe most people will be willing to swallow the bitter pill of the 2nd reset. 

On 10/8/2016 at 2:11 AM, Superman said:

Polian said that same thing while he was still with the Colts, multiple times.

I really only remember about the part of the difficulty drafting top D prospects because of the success of the team, not much about salaries and / or cap space.  Doesn't mean I recall very well either.

It's really a non issue to me, with so many other important things to be addressed.  And besides, anybody that follows football knows these things are true due to draft rules, salary cap rules, and market pay for elites and stars.  The league by choice has designed itself to be the culmination of creating parity.

On 10/7/2016 at 3:09 PM, theanarchist said:

Ya, this is excuse making at it's finest. I fail to see how Luck signing the big deal this off season has effected the paltry results of the defense over the previous 4 years. Do your job Mister Grigson. Start drafting players that are going to make a difference and quit making excuses. If you draft right you don't have money concerns with those players for 4-5 years. I'm ready for this guy to go. Ive been pretty silent to this point but I'm sick of him.

I just don't think he can do the job. He has proved it.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm gonna qoute you for a suggestion for this one

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Don't waste your time with him.

He doesn't get it.     He'll never get it.      He's not interested in getting it.

He's interested in his opinion and his opinion only.

On 10/7/2016 at 0:07 PM, Superman said:

No, he didn't. 

The most the Broncos paid Manning in a given year was $19m in 2015, after his postseason bonuses. Second highest was $18M in 2012. 

The Colts are paying Andrew Luck $44m in 2016.

But the main difference is the Broncos drafted better than the Colts have. Part of that is Von Miller at #3, but the other part is Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Danny Travathan, Sylvester Williams, Kayvon Webster, Bradley Roby -- all defensive contributors, mostly starters, on rookie contracts. 

How much of that 44m is against the cap

What a shame. We have found a true franchise QB and pay him what all the other good QBs will be making in a year or two. What a shame. It's really hard on a GM when you have found a franchise QB, it just really makes it tough to build a good team if you have a great QB. I wonder how other teams win in this league since Grigson says it's hard to build a team if you have to pay a good QB. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

And your opinions are any better?

Sorry, with some of the lame comments you have made I doubt it.

I am reasonable which you are not......  I think it was a horrible coaching job today...   now put on your rose colored glasses and tell us all how great Pags and Grigs are