Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson says Luck's contract affects Colts Defense

lollygagger8

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

No I am not.  In fact, he wouldn't even be the first Colts GM to resign.

ok.  Feb 8, 1984 - Ernie Accorsi, the talented general manager of the Baltimore Colts, suddenly resigned Is this what you're talking about ? 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Good point. But that don't fit into the narrative that supports their claim that Grigson is the worst.

He's not be great, particularly in the 2013 and 2014 seasons.  He's made some good moves, some bad.  He's probably been below average all things considered, but he's had decent 2015 and I think 2016 drafts.  Those drafts aren't going to save his career though if we keep putting out an underachieving team.

2 minutes ago, digroute88 said:

ok.  Feb 8, 1984 - Ernie Accorsi, the talented general manager of the Baltimore Colts, suddenly resigned Is this what you're talking about ? 

Yes.  He drafted John Elway, traded him away, lost a bunch of games, and then resigned right before the move.

10 minutes ago, digroute88 said:

Maybe Mr. Grigson will read this and take it to heart .

Sorry for my ninja edit.  Accidentally hit send.  

Yeah, it's hard to say what his future is.  In the video for the article, Bob Kravitz thinks that Irsay will stick it out for a while.  I mean, while we're not going out and purposefully doing bad or calling plays that we know will fail, but it's pretty hard to not think of 2011 when I watch this team. 

13 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

What an awful excuse.  

4 years of a small cap hit and nothing really to show for it.  

Ryan Grigson is either dumb or he thinks all the fans are dumb.  

It's not Luck's fault the roster sucks.

Still remember the excitement of people saying we had good cap space to use and get better. 

Spent some good money the last few years for fringe players.

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Ok and spent big money on the free agency players before and see how that turned out this is just a poor excuse he's not good at recognizing the talent we need

That's fine, I don't disagree with that.

Maybe he's not good at recognizing talent. He's left a lot of meat on the bone, as another poster put it.

But it's not an excuse. No one is excusing him, that's for sure. But the reality is that a business -- which the Colts are -- is limited in the amount of cash they can spend. The Colts are committed to something like $190M cash this season, IIRC. Luck is a big chunk of that. It's a very real consideration. 

37 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

What an awful excuse.  

4 years of a small cap hit and nothing really to show for it.  

Ryan Grigson is either dumb or he thinks all the fans are dumb.  

It's not Luck's fault the roster sucks.

No, not at all, and I don't think that's what Grigson is saying.

I don't understand why we can't say "Grigson didn't draft well or handle FA well in the past" and at the same time recognize that they were limited this offseason due to Luck's new contract. We've known that Luck's deal would come with limitations for a long time.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

First thing Grigson said is that they've missed on picks. And that's the primary reason the defense isn't where it should be. Werner, no first for Richardson, D'Joun Smith, Hughes, Andrew Jackson, etc., etc. That's reason #1.

However -- and I said this during the offseason, and it's still true -- when you commit a bunch of cash, you can't just go on a spending spree. 

where did he say this?

6 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

where did he say this?

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/10/7/13203774/ryan-grigson-gave-terrible-reason-why-colts-defense-is-work-in-progress-andrew-luck-contract

I don't know if it's the first thing he said, but he did say it before he mentioned Luck's contract. 

We have missed on picks. That’s for sure, we have, and I have to do better in that respect. But when you compile all four drafts I think we’ve done a good job, I think we really have. The offensive side of the ball is definitely going the right direction. I think a lot of teams throughout the league, objectively, from scouting departments would say we’re pretty strong on the offensive side of the ball. I mean obviously our quarterback [Andrew Luck], the tight end position. We have a young offensive line, we’ve got to get some cohesion up front, but again we used four draft picks this year on the offensive line [and] all four of them are contributing, at times three are starting. So it’s a good start, there’s going to be bumps whenever you deal with rookies.

“The defensive side of the ball, you know we’ve never come out and said it’s Super Bowl or bust this year. We have a defense that is a work in progress, and when you have to tighten up once you pay Andrew what we did, it’s going to take some time to build on the other side of the ball. So we’ve got young players like Clayton Geathers, T.J. Green, Henry Anderson has played some really good football for us as well, David Parry is a starter. We’ve got a lot of players on that side of the ball that are on the come, but nothing’s ever perfect. There are no utopias on an NFL team and we’ve just got to keep every year trying to do better and we’ve won a lot of football games here, our coach has won, I don’t know, 44 games out of 70 I believe, and it’s a pretty darn good winning percentage. So we have a lot of things to be proud of, but at the same time we’re 1-3 and the expectations around Indianapolis are always going to be high because of the great success this franchise has had.”

I'm just over it all. Players that Grigson drafted or brought in need to make plays or Grigson needs to go along with those players. That's pretty much all that needs to be said at this point. Whats done is done over the last 4 years. Water under the bridge. I am not happy that he has shown a certain amount of ineptitude at his job. I'm not happy Irsay was willing to take the risk of putting up with the ineptitude the next 4 years but is what it is and this is why we are where we are at. There has been bad decisions starting at the very top. There has been multiple layers of failure starting at the top of the food chain

2 hours ago, Superman said:

No, he didn't. 

The most the Broncos paid Manning in a given year was $19m in 2015, after his postseason bonuses. Second highest was $18M in 2012. 

The Colts are paying Andrew Luck $44m in 2016.

But the main difference is the Broncos drafted better than the Colts have. Part of that is Von Miller at #3, but the other part is Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Danny Travathan, Sylvester Williams, Kayvon Webster, Bradley Roby -- all defensive contributors, mostly starters, on rookie contracts. 

Isn't that only more damning for Grigson?  Was Elway a scout before he took the GM role?

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/10/7/13203774/ryan-grigson-gave-terrible-reason-why-colts-defense-is-work-in-progress-andrew-luck-contract

I don't know if it's the first thing he said, but he did say it before he mentioned Luck's contract. 

This is a better version of the story in that it gives more information than the OP version   

2 hours ago, Larry Horseman said:

Do yourselves a favor and listen to the entire interview: http://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/media/play/27375889/

Florio via Zak Keefer totally pulled that quote out of context. As @Superman said, Grigson actually said the main problem is bad drafting on the defensive side of the ball. When I first read the quote, I was going to say it is egregious, but in the context of the entire interview, he is just being realistic, and actually admits he has messed up. 

Thanks for the interview in it's entirety Larry. I appreciate that. Why did Grigson mention Reggie Wayne? Is he on the roster right now? Is he contributing to Colt wins right now? No. Also, why did that sports DJ/radio personality say that Ryan built up the roster right way thru WRs & TEs? Most INDY fans remember what future HOF QB Peyton Manning grilled HOF GM Bill Polian on in their 1st interview the quality & protection schemes of the offensive line. 

Is it a crime to give LUCK toys on offense first? No, but with a good to great OL in front of your franchise guy your likelihood of success rapidly increases though. Okay sure, a number of picks up front haven't panned out & Grigs deserves some credit for admitting he's made mistakes. Whatever that quote was about adversity leading to greatness was a foolish thing to say over the air since INDY fans will go "Oh okay, since our club is going to struggle this season, we will achieve Lombardi excellence next yr huh? Alright Ryan. I'm going hold you to that assertion too."

I didn't glean any useful information from that interaction other then when we lose everybody be as silent as a church mouse & not say 1 word all the way home. 

2 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Isn't that only more damning for Grigson?  Was Elway a scout before he took the GM role?

A lot of the nucleus of that team was already in place before Manning arrived. Once they signed Manning, Elway knew it was basically a 4-year window to win, and he put all of his chips on the table. He didn't at any point have to blow up and entire roster and start over. He did absolutely kill it in FA though... Manning, Talib, Ware, Sanders, amazing signings.

1 hour ago, Thewholefnshow28 said:

Don't worry guys we still have a few more seasons of him.  Blows first round picks and uses his QB's contract as a crutch. Totally feel confident he will magically turn it around.

Maybe Grigson will have the team ready just before it's time for Luck's next contract.

2 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Ya, this is excuse making at it's finest. I fail to see how Luck signing the big deal this off season has effected the paltry results of the defense over the previous 4 years. Do your job Mister Grigson. Start drafting players that are going to make a difference and quit making excuses. If you draft right you don't have money concerns with those players for 4-5 years. I'm ready for this guy to go. Ive been pretty silent to this point but I'm sick of him.

I concur

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's fine, I don't disagree with that.

Maybe he's not good at recognizing talent. He's left a lot of meat on the bone, as another poster put it.

But it's not an excuse. No one is excusing him, that's for sure. But the reality is that a business -- which the Colts are -- is limited in the amount of cash they can spend. The Colts are committed to something like $190M cash this season, IIRC. Luck is a big chunk of that. It's a very real consideration. 

I understand that but bringing it up in an interview like it's gonna help him look good was wrong anyway and trying to put luck under the bus is big no no anyway who else been putting the team on their back like luck has? He was just stupid mentioning that

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

A lot of the nucleus of that team was already in place before Manning arrived. Once they signed Manning, Elway knew it was basically a 4-year window to win, and he put all of his chips on the table. He didn't at any point have to blow up and entire roster and start over. He did absolutely kill it in FA though... Manning, Talib, Ware, Sanders, amazing signings.

But didn't Elway put most of that nucleus in place?  He built a good team without knowing who his QB would be and he was smart enough to realized the Tebow wasn't going to cut it.  I feel like Grigson would have kept rolling with Tebow if he were in Elway's shoes.  

I don't like his experimental projects.  He waste practice squad room for people like Swoope and Adongo.  We should be developing players who have experience playing the game.  If we were a regular conference championship caliber team I wouldn't complain.

2 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

But didn't Elway put most of that nucleus in place?  He built a good team without knowing who his QB would be and he was smart enough to realized the Tebow wasn't going to cut it.  I feel like Grigson would have kept rolling with Tebow if he were in Elway's shoes.  

He got hired in '11, took Von Miller with the #2 overall pick, and acquired Manning in that same offseason. That's a pretty sweet arrangement to walk into.

20 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Maybe it is. Elway wasn't a scout, but he ran an Arena League team. He runs their drafts, but he's had subordinates who set up the board since he's been in Denver. Not taking anything away from him, he's done a great job. He's obviously better than Grigson, not even close.

13 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I understand that but bringing it up in an interview like it's gonna help him look good was wrong anyway and trying to put luck under the bus is big no no anyway who else been putting the team on their back like luck has? He was just stupid mentioning that

I don't see it that way. 

I've been saying, I think they all reset with this offseason, from Irsay on down. You can look at it as a new regime, if you separate the ill feelings for Grigson. New focus, new approach, everything, and it starts with nailing the draft, especially for OL. 

So when Grigson says it's going to take some time to build, to me, it reinforces that they're only looking forward, not litigating the past.

And the fact of the matter is, just like Grigson said, they've missed picks in the past, and they didn't have the flexibility to spend this offseason like they did the previous few seasons. Simple fact, doesn't matter whose fault it is, it's the truth. Would be the truth if it were a new GM saying it, just like it's true when Grigson says it.

Moving forward, they have one chance to throw some money at the roster, and that's next offseason. They should be ~$60m under the cap, before doing anything with Mewhort or Moncrief. They can splurge on a player or two in 2017, and I think they should, but only for the right guy, and only a defensive front player.

3 hours ago, indy1888 said:

Yep he's going to take some heat over that comment.  Not a very smart thing to say considering Luck was a bargain for the early part of his career. I know Grigson thinks he is the smartest man alive but he's actually pretty dumb if he thinks that explanation will fly with most.

hard to believe he said that, if for no other reason, that he has not used that type of excuse before (or reasoning if you don't think it's an excuse).