Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players That You Like Right Now

Just thought it could be fun to list some of the prospects that you think are worth checking out - and see how others on the board like their game as well... I'll start with a few.

RB:

Dalvin Cook, Florida St. - Really like his game changing speed, ability to create yards after first contact, and receiving talents. I'm a little concerned about the early struggles, but all in all I see a lot of potential here. 

Wayne Gallman, Clemson - He's a well rounded running back. Not necessarily home-run-hitter speed, but he does have some explosiveness to him. Effective in the passing game, can block and receive well. 

WR:

Ryan Switzer, North Carolina - Has been comped to Julian Edelman. I like how sure handed he is, he's been fantastic catching the football so far. Good quicks, and has return ability to boot.

OL:

Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky - With all the investment in offensive line that we put into the draft last year, I have to say I'm less antsy to draft one. But I would still be excited to land this guy. I think he will be a good starting guard at the NFL level, he's an really good college LT who has more of a guard's frame. He handled the next guy on this list really well in a head to head matchup, which speaks to his talent. 

Edge Rusher:

Tim Williams, Alabama - Snap for snap he was the most disruptive pass rusher in the country during the 2015 season. This guy has some definite pass rushing skills, which we need badly. He's got a quick first step, a twitchy athlete, with a good spin move. The main problem with him is his recent arrest. 

Dawuane Smoot, Illinois - A highly athletic edge rusher. Good burst, looks fast and has good size to him. His production so far this season has been lower than I thought it would, I'll certainly be looking for it to rise, but I like what I see in terms of his burst as a pass rusher. 

LB:

Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt - Athletic, long, well rounded linebacker. He can go sideline to sideline, and has the traits to be a strong coverage linebacker at the NFL level. 

CB:

Marlon Humphery, Alabama - Suffocating cornerback who shut down top prospect JuJu Smith-Schuster in their matchup. I haven't watched him too closely, but that performance against USC impressed me. 

Jourdan Lewis, Michigan - Twitchy, athletic CB who is small for the NFL. Plays hard and is very productive on the field. I think his skills will find him a place at the next level. 

I'm a big fan of Ryan Switzer. He's just so elusive in space!

I'll add some players:

Nick Chubb- perfect combination of size,speed,power, and agility. Only negative is his health moving forward after a devastating knee injury. 

Reuben Foster- heat seeking missile of a linebacker. Sideline to sideline range. I think he'll be one of the best linebackers in the league soon. 

Caleb Brantley- very disruptive lineman. Just explodes into the backfield 

These are all guys I like at positions of need for the Colts...

OLB - Charles Harris, Dawuane Smoot, Derek Barnett, Daeshon Hall

ILB - Anthony Walker Jr., Azeem Victor, Jalen Reeves-Maybin

CB - Desmond King, Cordrea Tankersly, Jamar Summers

RB - Royce Freeman, Wayne Gallman

7 hours ago, Gavin said:

The list is a month old....    it was put out before the college season even started.

Right now,  it's almost out of date.

Kiper and McShay both have top 10 kids at each position that are more current.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The list is a month old....    it was put out before the college season even started.

Right now,  it's almost out of date.

Kiper and McShay both have top 10 kids at each position that are more current.

I just now noticed that. I will say this. I value Mcshay and Kipers scouting ability. I think overall they are solid evaluators. I think they can tell you with pretty good accuracy if an ILB is agile and has good sideline to sideline speed BUT what they don't tell you is so and so ILB had so many stops before the first down marker or for so and so minimal gain.

That's where PFF comes in and excels at in my opinion and they are also good at evaluating as well I have noticed. I pay attention to what Kiper and Mayock and so on says but I do like the extra bit that PFF can tell you. Not that it will always translate to the NFL but it is added info that Kiper and the Mcshays of the world don't necessarily keep track of or don't tell you. What they can tell you is so and so ILB moves well and has a int or two and maybe a pass deflected which is only part of being a good cover ILB

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

These are all guys I like at positions of need for the Colts...

OLB - Charles Harris, Dawuane Smoot, Derek Barnett, Daeshon Hall

ILB - Anthony Walker Jr., Azeem Victor, Jalen Reeves-Maybin

CB - Desmond King, Cordrea Tankersly, Jamar Summers

RB - Royce Freeman, Wayne Gallman

I like what you have. I really like Smoot and his under the radar. I would add Humphrey CB and Mixon RB. 

46 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like Jabril Peppers. Michigan is calling him a LB and that's what I want him to be for the Colts. A Deone Bucannon type.

I like Dalvin Cooke, Fournette, and Royce Freeman at RB.

Carlos Watkins

Charles Harris

DJ Smoot

If I had to pick one guy that I think the Colts FO/Coaching staff will fall in love with, it would be Peppers. I think he fits perfectly into what they are trying to do with the secondary right now. A combo of Peppers/Geathers/Green provides a ton of positional flexibility and allows the Colts to put guys in a position to succeed regardless of matchup. 

If it came down to an option of Charles Harris/Tim Williams/Jabril Peppers, it would be hard for me to pass on Peppers.

11 hours ago, BCoop said:

Mixon might be my favorite RB in CFB. I thought he was a true sophomore though?

RS Sophomore so he can come out this year. He was suspended 2 yrs ago for punching a female student in the face. I'm sure the video and all will resurface around draft time. He's the real deal. He is my favorite RB. I like McGuire from Louisiana La in the Sun Belt as a dark horse

RB: Nick Chubb and Wayne Gallman

WR: I don't think we need to draft one high, so I'm gonna throw Tim Patrick from Utah in here - he probably could be had with a late round pick or as a UDFA. He's a huge WR at 6'4'' - 6'5'' and he's the only real offensive weapon for Utah. He had a good game matching up against Adoree Jackson last week ( video here :

I think this is the type of big bodied, mobile receiver we are currently missing.

Edge Rusher: Myles Garret, Tim Williams, Charles Harris

DL: Jonathan Allen

LB: Reuben Foster!!!

CB: Jourdan Lewis, Teez Tabor

S: Jabrill Peppers

On 10/6/2016 at 1:19 PM, BCoop said:

If I had to pick one guy that I think the Colts FO/Coaching staff will fall in love with, it would be Peppers. I think he fits perfectly into what they are trying to do with the secondary right now. A combo of Peppers/Geathers/Green provides a ton of positional flexibility and allows the Colts to put guys in a position to succeed regardless of matchup. 

If it came down to an option of Charles Harris/Tim Williams/Jabril Peppers, it would be hard for me to pass on Peppers.

Yeah Peppers is the type of guy we need. He just makes play. We could move him all over the field and have him play man. Label him a LB on paper but he's a defensive game wrecker. I'd take him over any edge rusher not named Myles Garrett.

25 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I'm watching this BC - Clemson game. 

Still like Wayne Gallman who I mentioned before but here's a guy who is impressing me...

Harold Landry, Edge, Boston College

Just started looking at RB's....

Gallman is very impressive.      For running backs who could go in the 2nd and 3rd round,  he's among my favorites.

I absolutely love Peppers, he's one of the best players in this whole draft in my mind. I'm not sure he we will have the chance to draft him and Grigson has been going for different type of players at the LB position.

I've been watching a lot of Clemson games lately and Ben Boulware seems like such a Grigson-type LB pick. Limited athleticism, limited in coverage, not very rangy, but good run stuffer and straight up dog and emotional leader of the defense. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we end up with him in the draft.

From the linebackers I've been hearing a lot of hype about Florida's Alex Anzalone. He's been injured a lot in his career but he's making waves this season and seems like his stock is rising. I haven't looked too deep into him, but I might have to do it today against Fournette(if he plays).

I'm adding Derek Barnet to my list. I was looking at him before when some analyst mocked him to us. I saw tape and didn't like it. I'm watching him live now against Texas A&M. I don't think he's a first round guy but I'd take him in the 2nd to play Sam. I really like what I'm seeing right now. He plays the run very well and creates pressure. He's a fringe 1st/2nd round pick. 

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I just watched some of FSU vs Miami game. I like RB Dalvin Cook. He looks to have speed, power, good size and can catch. Looks like a feature back possibility.

It's extremely early but do you think he will be there in the middle of 2nd round?

I highly doubt he makes it out of the 1st round. Anything is possible but he'd have to have serious issues to fall to the 2nd. 

It is not enough to say you like one guy over another but also what type of defense does the College team play.   4-3 vs 3-4.   We drafter Werner from 4-3 defense and he did not translate well to the 3-4.  Now he's out of the league.   You list some linebackers but really what will he be line in our defense.  It is great that the person you might put out shows spectacular ability, puts up big numbers, but the translation to our team is important.  We don't have anyone from an entire draft class on our team or in the NFL for that matter.

37 minutes ago, klh7768 said:

It is not enough to say you like one guy over another but also what type of defense does the College team play.   4-3 vs 3-4.   We drafter Werner from 4-3 defense and he did not translate well to the 3-4.  Now he's out of the league.   You list some linebackers but really what will he be line in our defense.  It is great that the person you might put out shows spectacular ability, puts up big numbers, but the translation to our team is important.  We don't have anyone from an entire draft class on our team or in the NFL for that matter.

Defensive schemes don't really matter when it comes to projection in the NFL. A pass rusher is a pass rusher. Werner didn't fail because he couldn't transition into a 3-4 OLB. He failed because he was a poor athlete and mediocre pass rusher who beat up on ACC teams in college. Any edge rusher should be able to play in any system. The differences between a 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE are minimal . Weight and power are like the only things that can affect a pass rushers success but those can be gained. 

51 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Defensive schemes don't really matter when it comes to projection in the NFL. A pass rusher is a pass rusher. Werner didn't fail because he couldn't transition into a 3-4 OLB. He failed because he was a poor athlete and mediocre pass rusher who beat up on ACC teams in college. Any edge rusher should be able to play in any system. The differences between a 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE are minimal . Weight and power are like the only things that can affect a pass rushers success but those can be gained. 

So if weight and power can be gained, then our strength and conditioning coaches should be fired as well.   Our offensive line needs to step it up and be stonger, and should have been so for a couple of years.  Werner was a pass rusher, and as you say, "a pass rusher is a pass rusher", then it should have made no difference mediocre or not.  I think he played out of position.  I think there are other examples out there beside Werner.  Unfortunately he gets picked because he was a first round draft choice.  If he was picked in late rounds would it be much of an issue, maybe not.