Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis Thinks He Can Play Olb

Mexicolt

I asked Robert via twitter if he thought he could be an OLB in a 3-4 scheme... I accidentally said he is a RE in a later tweet where I said the best RE in the league deserved a new contract..., he made sure to correct me saying he is LE, but he answered he thinks he could play it...

Now I wouldn't expect him to say he couldn't but he didn't need to answer the question if that was the case... Gotta tell you, I love this guy, I am a huge huge huge fan of his, I truly want us to bring him back.

I love how he played this year, the way he handled himself even though he wanted a new contract, no complains, he show up to work..

This guy has answered like three or four of my tweets

Hope you'll answer! Colts forums speculating A LOT, could you play 3-4 OLB? I say heck yeah...@RobertMathis98

q10xx_normal.jpg

ROBERT MATHIS

@georgepelaez im a LE bro...i feel that i could play it though

2 hours ago via web

Gotta tell you, I love this guy, I am a huge huge huge fan of his, I truly want us to bring him back.

I love how he played this year, the way he handled himself even though he wanted a new contract, no complains, he show up to work..

Agree with this!! From what I remember, he never once mentioned anything about his contract. Just went out and had another solid season with around 10 sacks if I remember correctly. I didn't like how Wayne went to the media with all of his "I'm not going to make it easy on them" stuff. I loved how Mathis just went to work! I hope we re-sign him

I think Mathis is they type of athelete that could play any position you asked him to... He would need to develop his coverage skills but he has the speed to keep up with tight ends in coverage thats for sure.

Should be interesting to see what the new HC does. It'll take time and a lot of new players in key positions if we are going to transition to the 3-4... but I'm all for it!

Its good to know Robert is willing to move to a new position. I must admit I would be a tad bit scared to see robert lined up on his feet vs. in a pass rushing stance. But you never know it could pay off he could be good at LB if moved there. Will take time to adjust though.

If memory serves me correctly, two years ago Mathis boycotted OTA's over his contract situation (as did Reggie Wayne), but he showed up to camp and subsequently performed in a top notch way. Last year there were no OTA's to boycott, but again, he showed up and did his job, as one would expect he should do as player under contract.

I love the combo of Freeney and Mathis and I hope he can be re-signed. He's a dynamic, key player and it sounds like he still wants to be with the Colts. I hope Pagano and Grigson feel the same way.

Get ready for a major shake up. Our defense has sucked for years with this stupid notion that speed wins games. Stopping the offense wins games and this is Pagano's school of thought. I guarantee you the fans in Baltimore are outraged at this hire, it means nothing but bad news for their chances.

I think he's probably more suited to it than Freeney is that's for sure (which makes me sad since Dwight has been one of my favorite players). It's a bit late in his career to learn a new position, but I wouldn't bet against him.

We'll see though, don't even know what kind of defense we're going to run yet so it might not even be an issue.