Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Unknown as in never once had an NBA franchise or modern day pro team 

I hear you...but Kentucky is every bit as much a basketball hotbed as Indiana is..

........people used to say basketball wouldn't go in Charlotte because they only cared about college ball..

...with all the UK and Louisville players in the NBA, there should have been a team there long time ago..Memphis and NOLA are actually smaller markets than Lousiville

54 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I hear you...but Kentucky is every bit as much a basketball hotbed as Indiana is..

........people used to say basketball wouldn't go in Charlotte because they only cared about college ball..

...with all the UK and Louisville players in the NBA, there should have been a team there long time ago..Memphis and NOLA are actually smaller markets than Lousiville

NO is a way better location for pro teams than Louisville 

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

why....?  NOLA is a poorer city...

Wouldnt a Kentucky-Indiana rivalry be a natural

...not to mention Kentucky-Memphis

NO is a very popular place in the US plus a tourist attraction no one gives s damn about Kentucky 

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

NO is a very popular place in the US plus a tourist attraction no one gives s damn about Kentucky 

Tourists don't go to ballgames....because their not fans of the team...obvioulsy

I'm sensing a hatred of Kentucky,....independent of basketball. Am I right there?

Great way for the Cavs to close out the Raptors. Pressure back on the Warriors to follow suit. It will be interesting to see which one of those teams lose first. I have a feeling the Warriors will sweep now as well. Loved what I seen out of Washington today, a team I have had high hopes for. It's 2-2 now so they have a nice chance to beat the C's IMO. Even if it goes 7, they can win a Game 7 in Boston if Wall is redhot.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great way for the Cavs to close out the Raptors. Pressure back on the Warriors to follow suit. It will be interesting to see which one of those teams lose first. I have a feeling the Warriors will sweep now as well. Loved what I seen out of Washington today, a team I have had high hopes for. It's 2-2 now so they have a nice chance to beat the C's IMO. Even if it goes 7, they can win a Game 7 in Boston if Wall is redhot.

Wall was pretty insane during that 26-0 run.

32 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Tourists don't go to ballgames....because their not fans of the team...obvioulsy

I'm sensing a hatred of Kentucky,....independent of basketball. Am I right there?

I don't hate Kentucky at all it's just funny you think it's a better place for a pro team then hopping NO 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Their Roster is Very Good, I hope they beat Boston because I think they matchup much better with the Cavs than Boston does.

Yeah, I still don't see either team beating them in a 7 game series.

We will get Warriors vs Cavs again which will be a glorified three point contest lol.

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Yeah, I still don't see either team beating them in a 7 game series.

We will get Warriors vs Cavs again which will be a glorified three point contest lol.

I agree, I predicted Warriors/Cavs before the season started. I see no reason to believe it wont be. That series basically will come down to who makes their 3's and who doesn't. LeBron could and may average 35 a game but it wont matter if guys like Korver and Smith aren't hitting 3's. Role players will be huge. Green needs to step up and play the series of his life to help out Curry, Thompson, and Durant. I would put Green on LeBron and have Durant check Love if I am the Warriors. Green has the girth and toughness to do so and it would preserve Durant's energy on the Offensive end. Guarding Love doesn't require a lot because all he does is stand out by the 3 point line. Durant has the length to affect Love's shot as well.

Although both teams are hot right now. No way are the Warriors sweeping the west! Those are real teams in the other bracket. They will give Houston 1 game and San Antonio 2 Games. The Cavs.. well they will sweep.

I say let LeBron do his thing.. Don't let the other standers get you.

31 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Although both teams are hot right now. No way are the Warriors sweeping the west! Those are real teams in the other bracket. They will give Houston 1 game and San Antonio 2 Games. The Cavs.. well they will sweep.

I say let LeBron do his thing.. Don't let the other standers get you.

Celtics played well against the Cavs all year.  The Celtics have a confident John Wall they need to worry about before anything else.

On 5/5/2017 at 6:24 PM, Synthetic said:

I think a better question would be what will be your excuse? I know if LeBron loses the Finals, you're going to go nuts hating on him. That's a given. 

You are the biggest LeBron hater I think I have ever seen on a sports forum, and I used to hate LeBron myself. I pretty much don't engage with you on this topic of LeBron, cause you always end up going in a circle of saying "Yeah he's great, but let me tell you why X, Y, and Z is better, and why he'll never be close to them!". I never see you talk about LeBron, without bringing up a bunch of other names from past decades to say how he's not as good as them. And most of the guys you bring up to compare him to, are impossible to truly make a side by side comparison, cause they played in different eras back when there was no zone defense. The change of zone defense has made the game far more complex than it ever was. Watch a game from the 80's or 90's and watching a modern game today is like apples and oranges cause the defenses are completely different and the style of play has been forced to evolve around the rule change of zones.  

I've seen a lot of LeBron haters over time, but none of them go the length you go to overly slam him every chance you get. It's truly mind-numbing at times. I almost want to ask if you're going to suggest it's "rigged" if he repeats this year, but you've already made those kind of suggestions before. 

LeBron don't have to beat the Warriors again to accomplish greatness. He already established his greatness last year coming back from a 3-1 deficit to beat a historically great team as a major underdog. He will go down in history for accomplishing that feature that had never been done before. Only LeBron haters, come up with this saying that he has to beat them again to earn some respect. I learned last year, that nothing will ever satisfy this man's haters. Even if he wins it this year, I'm sure there will be some other excuses not to give him credit. It will be something, I'm sure of it. Just the fact LeBron don't get credit for beating them last year, proves that nothing is ever enough for his haters.

The Warriors won 73 games last year, and this year they got another super star and still won 67 games. 

They are the overwhelming favorite to win the Finals. Just like last year, probably even worse this year. Most sports outputs are giving them over 50% chance of winning. They were overwhelming favorites during the regular season.

The Cavs are a good team, not a great team. If they lose the Finals, it won't be a shock to anyone since Golden State is such a loaded team and they got a new superstar.  

How about your boy Durant? Not like he don't have help, going to a team that won 73 games without him. Durant's team is way more stacked than the Cavs. You would be crazy to even argue that the Warriors aren't a loaded team with superstars. 

I went over this with you last year, when I showed you that article from Five Thirty Eight that demonstrated as good as LeBron is as an individual player, he's rarely ever been a favorite in the Finals. Only twice was LeBron a favorite in the Finals; 2011 vs Dallas and 2013 vs San Antonio. He went 1-1 as a favorite. LeBron was a slight underdog when he beat OKC in the Finals 2012, and a major underdog this past year when he won again. 

It's no different this year. LeBron haters can try to say the Cavs are "great" but they're not compared to Golden State.

So if he loses, it won't be a shock since he's going to be a major underdog yet again. But I am positive to his haters, they'll just use this to label him a choker, regardless of the fact he came back down 3-1 to beat a historically great team last year, and they'll circle the wagons to talk about MJ and whatever to bash him. Same story it always is.

I am probably actually a bigger LeBron hater then him.  Coltsbestever doesn't really hate on him.  He's able to have his own opinion on LeBron as far as one of the greats to ever play.  He's mentioned numerous times he'd put him in his top 5 ever if he beats a healthy Warriors team this year.  Sure coming back down 3-1 in the finals is impressive, no one's ever did it.  He can't get a pass for getting rocked in 4 other NBA finals can he?  He's also one of the only players in NBA history to hand pick his team the past 7 years or so.  He's GM, coach and player.  No need to mention MJ's name, he didn't need 7 games to win the finals.  I'll admit it, if LeBron wins this year, I will give him even more respect.  I gave him quite a bit last year for coming back down 3-1 to win the Finals and a ring for the Cavs.  What's it been, about 100 years for a Cleveland pro sports title?  Even though I dis like him he's still going to go down as the best SF of all time once he's done. 

On 5/5/2017 at 6:53 PM, Jules said:

I have to jump in here a bit. WHO is calling him the GOAT all the time? Like list real names who call him the GOAT in the media and even on this forum right now? Like exact people......

I will say he has potential to be the GOAT though and anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

BTW Kareem and Jordan.......yeah they got cases for being the best too. Pat Riley once said Kareem to him WAS the best of all time.  I prefer an argument actually for Kareem then Jordan worship by everyone that often lacks deep substance.

Jordan? MJ is the universal chosen one by the media. He always has been. He still is. I find it ironic too since this is the same MJ that needed the "bad boy Pistons" to be declawed by rules so MJ himself could win it all. No the league was not "tougher" back then. It was actually catered to hand and foot for MJ to succeed in

Okay you want reasons why he is the GOAT if someone says he is? 

1) A team with Lebron on it contends for a title, every damn year. Even if that team is lacking.

2) A team with Lebron removed from it, does not contend for a title.

3) Lebron is an all time leader right up there with the best of all time in most major statistical categories.

4) Kobe is my all time favorite personal player, but even he never could contend without a good team around him and talent. Ever.

5) Lebron has never had a top notch coach in the league

6) With his size, speed, package etc......Lebron is a rare once in a lifetime phenom.

7) And he is adapting his game with age and getting BETTER with age. He is actually evolving with age with his game.

8) I said he might be.

9) Cause a top 10 list is better then a top 7 or 8.

10) I am getting tired.

Bonus: That comeback last year in the finals btw WAS the stuff the best are made of. Even if don't happen again this year I am absolutely positive that Lebron won't go down with a huge fight.

Bonus #2: Still not sold the Warriors are the bees knees like everyone says. Like if you want to crown their aazzes go and crown them. I don't also see how the Warriors are being tested as heavily in the west as people make it out to be. The competition out there can be dreadful as well at times.

For the record don't say Kyrie and his 3 point shot was the be all and end all of last years finals. Thats like saying the Artest 3 in Lakers/Celtics was the end of it all and that Artest was more the MVP then Kobe.

Let me ask you this question.  When has LeBron contended without Bosh, Wade, Irving or Love?  Kobe had Pau Gasol on the 2008-09 and 2009-10 Lakers title teams and then a bunch of roll players(Odom, Fisher, Artest, Ariza, Bynum(who was always hurt) Farmar etc).  Here's another honest question for you.  How many legit future hall of famers has LeBron played against in the East in his career?  It's less than 5, Jordan played against 39 in the East alone over his career.  The league is so soft now a days, it was much tougher to win back in the 80's and 90's because it was more physical and the talent alone was much better.  The league catered to big guys back in the day not guards which they do now(just like Isiah Thomas just mentioned last week on Mike N Mike).  I am not saying LeBron's not a top 5 player ever, he'll go down as the best SF to ever play, but best ever?  I beg to differ for numerous reasons, but that's why we are all able to have our own opinion.  I'd personally take Kobe or MJ, a few of you guys would take LeBron, it's all good :thmup:

Well at least the Celtics/Wizards and Rockets/Spurs are good to watch.  Game 5 will decide the winner of each series in my opinion.  I think the Spurs could get a game or 2 against the Warriors and I think the Rockets could pull out a game against the Warriors.  If the Celtics win, I think the Cavs sweep them.  If the Wizards win, I think they can get 2 games, because there a tougher match up.  Either way, can we just fast forward 2 weeks and get to the Cavs Warriors finale?  I am looking forward to that. 

5 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Either way, can we just fast forward 2 weeks and get to the Cavs Warriors finale?  I am looking forward to that. 

Definitely gonna be fun. But nervousing lol. I Rooted for Warriors in 2015 just was cool to see a new team. Then in 2016 I was happy for LeBron (I felt bad for him in 2015) At least he won for Cleveland. Now this year, I just don't want to see the Cavs win again haha. I'm all out for GS, it's gonna be scary for them, LeBron is a man possessed.  

29 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Let me ask you this question.  When has LeBron contended without Bosh, Wade, Irving or Love?  Kobe had Pau Gasol on the 2008-09 and 2009-10 Lakers title teams and then a bunch of roll players(Odom, Fisher, Artest, Ariza, Bynum(who was always hurt) Farmar etc).  Here's another honest question for you.  How many legit future hall of famers has LeBron played against in the East in his career?  It's less than 5, Jordan played against 39 in the East alone over his career.  The league is so soft now a days, it was much tougher to win back in the 80's and 90's because it was more physical and the talent alone was much better.  The league catered to big guys back in the day not guards which they do now(just like Isiah Thomas just mentioned last week on Mike N Mike).  I am not saying LeBron's not a top 5 player ever, he'll go down as the best SF to ever play, but best ever?  I beg to differ for numerous reasons, but that's why we are all able to have our own opinion.  I'd personally take Kobe or MJ, a few of you guys would take LeBron, it's all good :thmup:

2006-2007 Cavs went 50-32 and made the Finals with no one other than LeBron

2008-2009 Cavs went 66-16 with not much support (LeBron was that team's leader in points, rebounds, assists, and steals per game)

LeBron has contended without support.  He hasn't won without support, but no one - including Jordan - has won without support.  Jordan had great players around him, like Pippen and Rodman.

It's also hard to criticize LeBron for a supposed lack of talent in the East.  He's gone up against guys like Jimmy Butler, Paul George, John Wall, Giannis, Wade, Bosh, Carmelo.  Not only that, but LeBron doesn't play exclusively against the East.  He's the best player in the league when it includes/included guys like Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Anthony Davis, Boogie Cousins, Kawhi, Tim Duncan, and many others.

LeBron is also one of the most physical players, so to criticize him for today's game being soft doesn't make sense.  His athletic abilities would let him do just fine in the rougher basketball era of the 90s.  Watch some Nick Wright clips and he goes into some really good detail about LeBron.  LeBron > Kobe in almost every individual statistical category.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

2008-2009 Cavs went 66-16 with not much support (LeBron was that team's leader in points, rebounds, assists, and steals per game)

LeBron has contended without support.  He hasn't won without support, but no one - including Jordan - has won without support.  Jordan had great players around him, like Pippen and Rodman.

It's also hard to criticize LeBron for a supposed lack of talent in the East.  He's gone up against guys like Jimmy Butler, Paul George, John Wall, Giannis, Wade, Bosh, Carmelo.  Not only that, but LeBron doesn't play exclusively against the East.  He's the best player in the league when it includes/included guys like Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Anthony Davis, Boogie Cousins, Kawhi, Tim Duncan, and many others.

LeBron is also one of the most physical players, so to criticize him for today's game being soft doesn't make sense.  His athletic abilities would let him do just fine in the rougher basketball era of the 90s.  Watch some Nick Wright clips and he goes into some really good detail about LeBron.  LeBron > Kobe in almost every individual statistical category.

So true Kobe isn't close to the monster that is LBJ

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

You make some good points for sure but Jordan played much better competition.  Let me ask you an honest question.  If LeBron isn't "soft" and could easily play in the 80's or 90's why does he complain/flop so much?  Other than Manu G and Harden, I've never seen a player flop more than LeBron.  Jordan did have Pippen and Rodman, Rodman rebounded and played defense he averaged like 5PPG, it was pretty much Jordan and Pippen.  When did LeBron win a title without Bosh n Wade or Kyrie and K Love?  Does he get a pass for being swept in 2007?  Does he get a pass for being favored to win in 2011?  Does he get a pass for losing in 5 in 2014?  If so I think we agree.  Also, Kobe beats LeBron in the clutch category and ring category. 

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Definitely gonna be fun. But nervousing lol. I Rooted for Warriors in 2015 just was cool to see a new team. Then in 2016 I was happy for LeBron (I felt bad for him in 2015) At least he won for Cleveland. Now this year, I just don't want to see the Cavs win again haha. I'm all out for GS, it's gonna be scary for them, LeBron is a man possessed.  

I agree with you, I'd love a Rockets Wizards, Wizards Spurs, Celtics Spurs or Celtics Rockets Finals!  Something new but it won't happen!

9 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

im starting to think we should move him.  its too risky that he leaves and the pacers get nothing in return.  he will probably be 30+ by the time lebron retires too

a top three pick, preferably first and a good player would be enough for me

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

im starting to think we should move him.  its too risky that he leaves and the pacers get nothing in return.  he will probably be 30+ by the time lebron retires too

a top three pick, preferably first and a good player would be enough for me

It's a tough situation.  George is a superstar but if he doesn't want to be in Indy, the Pacers should deal him and get some young talent.  Starting over isn't the end of the world.  If George makes one of the all NBA teams he's due to get a $200+ million extension from Indy to which is pretty hefty.  I am sure they'd like him to commit to stay but if he doesn't they can't let him pull a Durant and leave and get nothing in return.