not bad if it pans out as i think

LE - Mathis

DT - Johnson

DT - Harris

RE - Freeney

MLB - Brackett

OLB - Sims

OLB - Connor

2 spots that are up for grabs are the OLB spot and 2nd DT spot Moala and Harris should compete for that, Sims should compete with Angerer for the other spot. I am thoroughly convinced the reason why we let clint sessions walk is because how good connor played last year in his place

LE - Mathis

DT - Johnson

DT - Harris

RE - Freeney

MLB - Brackett

OLB - Sims

OLB - Connor

2 spots that are up for grabs are the OLB spot and 2nd DT spot Moala and Harris should compete for that, Sims should compete with Angerer for the other spot. I am thoroughly convinced the reason why we let clint sessions walk is because how good connor played last year in his place

You think Conner can oust Angerer? I'm not so sure, TBH. Maybe on obvious passing downs because Conner's better at defending the pass outside than Angerer is, but I think Angere is the much better run defender. I kinda wish we hadn't given Brackett the length we did last year... I think Angerer could be a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher-esque MLB for us...

I doubt Moala starts.

Freeney, Harris, Johnson, Mathis

Anderson, Nevis, Moala, Hughes

Foster will be rotated in at all positions.

On obvious passing downs I expect to see us use a rotation looking like this:

Freeney, Anderson, Foster, Mathis with Harris being subbed in to that rotation when we'd like to collapse the pocket a bit more.

You think Conner can oust Angerer? I'm not so sure, TBH. Maybe on obvious passing downs because Conner's better at defending the pass outside than Angerer is, but I think Angere is the much better run defender. I kinda wish we hadn't given Brackett the length we did last year... I think Angerer could be a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher-esque MLB for us...

I doubt Moala starts.

Freeney, Harris, Johnson, Mathis

Anderson, Nevis, Moala, Hughes

Foster will be rotated in at all positions.

On obvious passing downs I expect to see us use a rotation looking like this:

Freeney, Anderson, Foster, Mathis with Harris being subbed in to that rotation when we'd like to collapse the pocket a bit more.

you know whats funny, ive never been to big on Moala, everyone seems to be on his bandwagon saying how much he improved. I watched every single colts game and constantly saw him on his A :madder: :madder: . yea he made a few good plays but i would feel more comfortable with AJ and Harris starting. And I share the brackett sentiment with you...He is a good leader though i will give him that. We are in total agreement with the d-line and rotation

you know whats funny, ive never been to big on Moala, everyone seems to be on his bandwagon saying how much he improved. I watched every single colts game and constantly saw him on his A :madder: :madder: . yea he made a few good plays but i would feel more comfortable with AJ and Harris starting. And I share the brackett sentiment with you...He is a good leader though i will give him that. We are in total agreement with the d-line and rotation

According to advanced stats (Tackle Factor. Google it, I don't want to try to explain it, but it's kind of like a QB rating for defensive players... Kinda) Moala was one of the worst DT's in the league last season. I've seen very, very little to be impressed with by him.

DT:

NT - AJ (NT on run downs), Harris (NT on passing downs)

UT - Moala, Nevis, Mathews rotation

DE:

Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Foster (Hybrid DT/DE), Anderson (Hybrid DT/DE)

Not sure how much progress Chick has made. I would not be shocked if Anderson or Chick gets cut after pre-season.

DT:

NT - AJ (NT on run downs), Harris (NT on passing downs)

UT - Moala, Nevis, Mathews rotation

DE:

Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Foster (Hybrid DT/DE), Anderson (Hybrid DT/DE)

Not sure how much progress Chick has made. I would not be shocked if Anderson or Chick gets cut after pre-season.

Chick is as good as gone IMO. He just hasn't worked out. I don't see us dropping Anderson after we just signed him, but we are D-line heavy this season...

Freeney, Mathis, Harris, Anderson, Hughes, Moala, Nevis, Foster, Johnson

Of that group I'd say Anderson or Moala are most likely to be cut and signed to the practice squad. Moala most likely because I don't see him being swiped by many other teams. JMO though, and I've been vocal in this thread about why I don't feel good about Moala.

LDE: Robert Mathis, Jerry Hughes

LDT: Antonio Johnson, Fili Moala, Demario Pressley

RDT: Tommie Harris, Drake Nevis,

RDE: Dwight Freeney, Eric Foster, Keyunta Dawson (?)

WLB: Ernie Sims, Kavell Conner, Tyjuan Hagler

MLB: Gary Brackett, Cody Glenn

SLB: Pat Angerer, Phillip Wheeler

LCB: Jerraud Powers, Justin Tryon, Kevin Thomas

FS: Antoine Bethea, Chip Vaughn

SS: Melvin Bullit, Aaron Fransisco, Mike Newton

RCB: Jacob Lacey, Chris Rucker, Cornelius Brown

guess it will be a roster spot between Pressley and Anderson..Pressleys resume leaves litte to be desired but we will see should be interesting. Like our depth on the D-line either way

guess it will be a roster spot between Pressley and Anderson..Pressleys resume leaves litte to be desired but we will see should be interesting. Like our depth on the D-line either way

Yeah, I think Anderson doesn't make past August 30th; I think he gets cut. He's too expensive, and he's not going to get that much playing time with Hughes playing in front of him. Pressley making the squad is big question mark, however.

Dang we are lacking at CB now that I see what we have. I think afalava will play some this year at safety. I also feel that Frathis, Harris, and AJ will be our starting d-line rotation. I am very excited we are bringing in good defensive players that can stop the run!

Chick is as good as gone IMO. He just hasn't worked out. I don't see us dropping Anderson after we just signed him, but we are D-line heavy this season...

Of that group I'd say Anderson or Moala are most likely to be cut and signed to the practice squad. Moala most likely because I don't see him being swiped by many other teams. JMO though, and I've been vocal in this thread about why I don't feel good about Moala.

Are Moala and Anderson even eligible for the practice squad? Anderson, at least, is a 4 year veteran. Practice squad is for players less than 2 years experience, I think.

Moala and Anderson have played too many games to be PS eligible at this point. You are probably right, John Chick will be gone. Gone will also be the $1 mil. signing bonus we gave him, the highest for a CFL player signed in the NFL. Harris being suggested as NT for passing downs is also based on the fact that I'd rather have Moala for lesser downs rotating in at UT with Nevis and Mathews. Besides, other than being aware about the draw play, true NT play on passing downs is not needed. Harris is experienced enough to do that. But it ultimately depends on which Harris we get.

Besides, one injury to AJ, and a phone call to Pat Williams is almost a must, IMO. I do think we carry 10 D-linemen. Last year, due to injuries (mainly to CJ), we carried 10 O-linemen (Ugoh and Linkenbach made the roster), that will not happen this year. It will 9 O-linemen and 10 D-linemen, IMO. D-line sees more rotation than O-line and that should be the way to go.

Are Moala and Anderson even eligible for the practice squad? Anderson, at least, is a 4 year veteran. Practice squad is for players less than 2 years experience, I think.

Both players have played more than 6 games. So they have no eligibility.

According to advanced stats (Tackle Factor. Google it, I don't want to try to explain it, but it's kind of like a QB rating for defensive players... Kinda) Moala was one of the worst DT's in the league last season. I've seen very, very little to be impressed with by him.

Tackle factor is an accounting for the percentage of tackles the player made for his team, then comparing that number to the norm among position... roughly. This does not take into account pressures, QB hits, redirecting the back, or how often they beat their blocker. It's described here.

It's a useful measurement, but it's hardly the most useful for interior D-Line. The Tampa 2 thrives on pressure and penetration, and any measurement of D-Linemen's effectiveness in the Tampa 2 should include as much. I'm not claiming Moala is amazing, but I am claiming Tackle Factor is not a valid indicator for Moala's effectiveness.

They are onto something with that tackle factor but it is quite a ways from a complete product.

A couple of items to note though. They do not have stats for Moala 2010 Regular season. What they are showing when you select 2010 (inlcude playoffs) is the 2009 season and 2009 playoffs which occured in 2010. So you are basing your opinion of Moala's play in 2010 based on stats from his rookie season. In the Colts run to the SB that year Moala had a TF of 4.00. According to the TF explanation DTs account for 5.6% of the tackles. So in a 4-3 D with two DTs that means each DT should get 2.3% of the tackles. Moala got 4% so better than expected.

Stats are a good thing. But you have to know how to interpet them in order to get use from them. I would highly suggest you not rely on Stampede Blue for your interpretation of the stats.

**EDIT** Chad and I were discussing this site and my above statement about it showing only 2009 may be incorrect. It is still hard to tell but I can see what Chad was saying. But the part about Moala having a TF of 4 in the playoffs is accurate. Muir and Foster both had a TF og 6 n the playoffs. Still good information but a ways from being a finished or reliable gauge of player effectiveness.

Further edit. For those wondering why I and others (including Polian) were impressed with Moala, especially in the 2nd half of the season. Go back and watch the games if you are able. The DT is responsible for a gap. The idea is to get through the gap and head towards the QB. If the DT cannot pursue the QB then he is to maintain his position in the gap. IN the first half of the season Moala rarely got through his gap to pursue but he did a better than average job holding his position. In the 2nd half of the season Moala was consistently getting a 1/2 yard to a yard deep into his gap which led to more QB pressures as well. He showed a lot of improvement during the course of his first full year of playing. That is why so many think Moala will do some big things this year.

Edited by Coffeedrinker

Moala and Anderson have played too many games to be PS eligible at this point. You are probably right, John Chick will be gone. Gone will also be the $1 mil. signing bonus we gave him, the highest for a CFL player signed in the NFL. Harris being suggested as NT for passing downs is also based on the fact that I'd rather have Moala for lesser downs rotating in at UT with Nevis and Mathews. Besides, other than being aware about the draw play, true NT play on passing downs is not needed. Harris is experienced enough to do that. But it ultimately depends on which Harris we get.

Besides, one injury to AJ, and a phone call to Pat Williams is almost a must, IMO. I do think we carry 10 D-linemen. Last year, due to injuries (mainly to CJ), we carried 10 O-linemen (Ugoh and Linkenbach made the roster), that will not happen this year. It will 9 O-linemen and 10 D-linemen, IMO. D-line sees more rotation than O-line and that should be the way to go.

The Colts actually carried 11 dlineman last year at the start of the year until they released King so 10 sounds right with this kind of depth and interchangeable parts.

I think you need to look at the roster again.