Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our defense and the chargers game.

Imrryr

Defense has a ways to go but can't complain a ton about them today at all. They saved our bacon vs. a Rivers led offense that has often mauled us in the past......I wasn't going to rest until the game was over.

All around the team has a lot of progress to make and improvements and did some stupid crap today, but they really brought it and showed heart in a must win game. 

Now they can't slack off going to London, the Jags are divisional......

4 hours ago, Imrryr said:

I was impressed by our defense during this game against the chargers I think monachino and a healthy defense will help us out many times in the future hopefully. Otherwise we beat two teams today with a decent chargers team and a utterly incompetent officiating crew against us. I'm excited for the season again, anyone else?

Yeah the defense played well but also got some help with their drops and missed passes. 

4 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I'm not impressed.

The Colts have zero game changing linebackers. Mathis is OLD. We need to rebuild our pass-rushers and inside linebackers.

Of course you aren't impressed. A Pig walking on water would not impress thee.

This was the defense I've been hoping to see. It has its problems, from execution to injuries, but what matters most is the game defining moments. I finally saw our players make crucial plays in crunch time. That was difference between winning, and letting the Chargers run down the field to the end the game. 

If we can just keep making momentum plays, I think we can at the very least compete for this division.

Oh, and having Anderson back was huge!

Erik Walden played great! 

That hit by him at the end (after the refs extended the game because we touched the ball on the punt) was truly a "Man, I'm sick of this garbage" blast. That guy had no idea the Walden train was coming lol. 

I still would rather see Mathis stay on the left side. I think he does (and always has done) better over the Right Tackle. That said, he's lost a step.....which I hate to see. 

Man, we need a ILB that can actually cover. I know Geathers is a hybrid, but we can't use him 100% of the time. 

Defense was hit or miss for me on this game.  They came up with some big stops and then there were other times (drive to start the 2nd half) that the Chargers did whatever they wanted to.  They shot themselves in the foot plenty of times to help us out.  No Allen, no Woodhead, and no Gates were evident with the SD O.  This game could've been ugly if they were healthy.

D looked average, which unfortunately, is a drastic upgrade. Davis clearly isn't 100% yet, so he'll only get better, and we could probably say the same for Anderson.

I do like that 3-safety package of Green/Adams/Geathers though. Having those 3 guys on the field at the same time gave the D more speed and range than it had in the 2 previous games, and it was also something that San Diego hadn't seen on tape, so it offered a different look than what they prepped for. Nice little wrinkle.

I will say that the tackling was like 500% better, which can be attributed to a number of things, but they were wrapping up guys and keeping them from getting extra yards.

I am glad the defense got some play makers back. It should be even better next week with a healthy Robinson.  I liked what I saw from the run defense(against a very talented Melvin Gordon) and it's always good to see Rivers get held without a TD(even though he was missing a few of his play makers).  I thought Geathers played well and so did Walden.  They still need to find a way to rush the passer.  I think once the defense is 100% healthy with Robinson, Butler and Jones coming back that they will be even better.  The defense going from awful that first week to slightly below average from here on out would be a huge upgrade. 

14 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I'm not impressed.

The Colts have zero game changing linebackers. Mathis is OLD. We need to rebuild our pass-rushers and inside linebackers.

Agreed! Even when we send pressure the QB still has all day. It will continue to hurts against better teams 

It was very nice to see the tackling happen in this game. It was nice to see Anderson back and Geathers is getting great love here as he should. To see a complete shut down of the opponents running game, when have seen that happen with either a very good back or a practice squad guy, it was nice to see the stops!!

We have to talk about the elephant in the room though. Mathis. Mathis isn't close to what he once was and probably needs to lose his starters role. Maybe Ayers is the guy to go in for him IDK, but Mathis is not applying any pressure and is not any more of a force than any rookie we have right now. It is time to see what the kids have with more playing time.

Things I didn't like were the continued middle field openness and the receiver's getting too much separation from our cb's. Are we getting jams on the receiver's at the line? I am not sure if we have any ability to fix the middle until next draft or FA or our youth gets game experience. Maybe Monachino can scheme this a little better with personnel to cover up some speed deficiencies, I don't know.

What we do know, the defense looked way better most of the game than either of the prior two games we played missing so many starters. This game was a pretty much full compliment of the guys with exception of Art (what has he done at any point with this team anyways?) and Robinson, who also had question marks on his ability in his prior years. Now, maybe these 2 guys play much better than previous games with this new defensive scheme and DC, we don't know but I think yesterday was pretty much the defense we will get to see and hopefully it gets a little better with time played under real fire bullets and time in the saddle.

I also felt like this season was the rebuilding of the offense from the draft and allowing Luck to carry it from the offensive side and hoped that we had just enough to hold on with our defense. I feel that next season was the expected defensive draft and then have them both grow into their own and flourish in future years. I think this is what Irsay had in mind with the rehire of both Griggs and Pags. I can only imagine him saying we are going to reset here, we should have enough on offensive play makers to score points with if we can solidify the oline and then next year we hit the defense hard and build it right this time. I was, and still am, a bit concerned with the offense not being explosive enough as we thought it could be but yesterdays game showed the grit we wanted to see from the offense at the end and our defense did enough to keep that option on the table. We just need to see a few games like this or better to believe this team is capable of doing this for a season.

I dont know on what planet giving up 2.2 ypc is average? I dont know on what planet giving up 15 defensive points is average? Causing 3 turnovers is not average. Yeah we gave up a little bit of yards through the air to a very good passing attack but we didn't break. Yeah they had some people missing but they still had enough to work with. I know Brady could have worked with Rivers personnel. Some of yall need to learn how to give this team credit and stop taking swipes all the time. Can't wrap your minds around this unit being better than a dumpster fire for some silly reason.

22 hours ago, Rebelknight said:

The Defense was not good today. We were lucky the Chargers went great on offense...there was no..none..nada pass rush..

If they let Robert Mathis and his walker 3 yards over the line I don't believe he could get to the QB...

Remember when people feared our pass rush..?

Wow, did you see the same game. Only thing I agree with is about pass rush. If we get a pass rush it's gonna have to be right up the middle this year.