Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With A New Staff And Gm Could That Mean Free Agency?

SubZero

Now that we have a new GM and the coaching staff is pretty much getting cleaned out then could that mean we finally go into free agency? If we did i dont expect us to break the bank with big names. I really think so Grigson had experience in PHI with FAs. If so these FAs i would love to get. Also im trying to be realistic with these pickups.

Ladarius Webb- Rice and Grubbs are elite players who will want a pay day. Webb is underrated and has experience working with Pagano.

Brandon Carr- Also an underrated player. He could easily help out secondary if he was plugged in.

Harry Douglas- He is burried on the depth chart by White and Jones. But he has good hands and speed and he would be a cheap option.

Michael Bush- He amased 900 yards and 8 tds. He didnt even start the whole season. He is a good back who can were down defenses and could compliment Donald Brown.

We did play in Free Agency. Are you talking about break-the-bank acquisitions? Who was the last team to truly succeed with that business model? Colts, Patriots, Steelers, etc. all build through the draft. They sign "value" free agents with friendly contracts. Ask Dan Snyder how the FA market has worked out for him.

We did play in Free Agency. Are you talking about break-the-bank acquisitions? Who was the last team to truly succeed with that business model? Colts, Patriots, Steelers, etc. all build through the draft. They sign "value" free agents with friendly contracts. Ask Dan Snyder how the FA market has worked out for him.

I know but i really dont consider this list breaking the bank its just some FAs to help out the team. And the patriots (i hate to say it) is the best team of the decade and they have a good balance of free agents and draft picks.

I know but i really dont consider this list breaking the bank its just some FAs to help out the team. And the patriots (i hate to say it) is the best team of the decade and they have a good balance of free agents and draft picks.

I don't disagree that the list includes reasonable players. I would be surprised if someone did pay Bush a healthy RB wage. The Patriots aren't a major player in the FA market. They like to trade for players who are past the front-loading of their contracts.

I dont see why we would need michael bush, we have a guy delone carter who can run the ball.. he just needs to learn how to hold on to it.... the one person the colts need is laron landry... plzzzz i hope the colts show interest in him.

Now that we have a new GM and the coaching staff is pretty much getting cleaned out then could that mean we finally go into free agency? If we did i dont expect us to break the bank with big names. I really think so Grigson had experience in PHI with FAs. If so these FAs i would love to get. Also im trying to be realistic with these pickups.

Ladarius Webb- Rice and Grubbs are elite players who will want a pay day. Webb is underrated and has experience working with Pagano.

Brandon Carr- Also an underrated player. He could easily help out secondary if he was plugged in.

Harry Douglas- He is burried on the depth chart by White and Jones. But he has good hands and speed and he would be a cheap option.

Michael Bush- He amased 900 yards and 8 tds. He didnt even start the whole season. He is a good back who can were down defenses and could compliment Donald Brown.

I like Webb-- he was the Tramon Williams of this year's playoffs.

how much did Randy Moss make in New England?

I would like both CB Ladarius Webb and OG Carl Nicks brought in if we dont have to give up any picks for compensation.

This could only happen if we cut/restructure Freeney, release Wayne and Brackett, and dont bring back Peyton.

what does cutting Brackett have to do with us affording anything?! the way his contract is set up, if we cut him, we save hardly anything at all. And we cant release Wayne, he is not under contract...i do agree we need to restructure Freeney, but his contract was backloaded for that purpose in and of itself...so i'm confident that we can do that....But if Peyton is healthy, we need to keep him.

what does cutting Brackett have to do with us affording anything?! the way his contract is set up, if we cut him, we save hardly anything at all. And we cant release Wayne, he is not under contract...i do agree we need to restructure Freeney, but his contract was backloaded for that purpose in and of itself...so i'm confident that we can do that....But if Peyton is healthy, we need to keep him.

i the colts cut bracket before the new season starts it clears his cap hit for 2013. if they wait to cut him the cap hit is spread out over a couple years...i think

i the colts cut bracket before the new season starts it clears his cap hit for 2013. if they wait to cut him the cap hit is spread out over a couple years...i think

no, if we cut Brackett, it will only save us a very marginal portion of his salary cap hit. I dont remember the exact figure, but i have read it over several different sources/articles. I was all for cutting him and saving money, but everything i have read points that its just as well to either keep him or renegotiate his deal etc because the savings from cutting him are so trivial

no, if we cut Brackett, it will only save us a very marginal portion of his salary cap hit. I dont remember the exact figure, but i have read it over several different sources/articles. I was all for cutting him and saving money, but everything i have read points that its just as well to either keep him or renegotiate his deal etc because the savings from cutting him are so trivial

yes for the upcoming season it would only save like 200k, but for 2013 the colts would be free and clear of his contract.

It's about one million dollars.

I think frankly if we cut Brackett it would be because he no longer fits the system here (depending on what system we put in here) than it would be because of money reasons. I think Gary is a cover-2 linebacker and I am not sure how he would do in another system.

yes for the upcoming season it would only save like 200k, but for 2013 the colts would be free and clear of his contract.

It doesn't always work like that. We payed for Corey Simon for like four years after he was no longer on the active roster. It depends on how their contracts are set up. I know I saw it reported if we cut Gary this off-season we would only save about one million over the life of the contract.

It doesn't always work like that. We payed for Corey Simon for like four years after he was no longer on the active roster. It depends on how their contracts are set up. I know I saw it reported if we cut Gary this off-season we would only save about one million over the life of the contract.

i realize it doesn't save much money over life of his deal....just how it's spread out. i can't recall where i got the info from, but it listed cap hit ramifications of cutting players like bracket, addai, bullit, etc...of course that doesn't mean it was accurate. guess i shoulda saved the page

i realize it doesn't save much money over life of his deal....just how it's spread out. i can't recall where i got the info from, but it listed cap hit ramifications of cutting players like bracket, addai, bullit, etc...of course that doesn't mean it was accurate. guess i shoulda saved the page

Like I said I think if we do cut Brackett it's going to be more because he doesn't fit our system anymore than it is going to be because of the money saved from cutting him.

personally, i think brackett at this point is a good backup and nothing more...he 's showing signs of being injury prone in this later stage of his career and he just doesnt seem able to take the wear and tear from playing starter's minutes.

I would much rather Angerer start over Gary anyhow...perhaps with the injuries etc, Gary will decide to retire at this point...i guess we'll wait and see

For those of you that are convinced Manning will still be a Colt next yr., you do realize that there is no way we can dabble in free agency if he is kept here. Sure they could restructure some contracts, but its not going to be huge savings. This is the exact reason why I think manning is done here. Pagano is going to want to have a much better defense and he may even be changing the entire system, which means having to bring in quite a few new guys that fit his system. There is going to have to be money to do that and there won't be any money if Manning is kept.

http://www.indystar....ack-next-season

I think this was the story people were looking for. It is a really really good write up of cap numbers of players if we cut them and how much we save or spend if we release players.

I don't think facts are going to stop the "Let's Get ... " threads. There are a few FA's that I'd like to address though - Garcon, Mathis, and Wayne.

Let's get those guys!

i realize that, what i asked was how much did he make while he was in New England? You said that they build through the draft and select low priced free agents...well they traded their draft picks for Moss, so it is a relevant question, is it not?

It is a relevant question, but as part of the trade he had to agree to renogiate his deal to be more cap friendly. He signed a 1 year deal with a $500k sign on bonus and a base salary of only $2.5 million.

It is a relevant question, but as part of the trade he had to agree to renogiate his deal to be more cap friendly. He signed a 1 year deal with a $500k sign on bonus and a base salary of only $2.5 million.

If you remember, they basically got him for chump change and a 4th round pick because he quit on the Raiders. At that point people thought he was done for. As which Chad Johnson and Haynesworth, it was worth it for the Pats to take the risk. Now he did get more money later on, but that was the Pats signing their own just like the Colts do. When he wanted his final payday, they showed him the door.