Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could our injuries be related to Addai and Wayne's issues with New England?

ReMeDy

Do you guys remember these two stories on Addai and Wayne?:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ad4053/article/joseph-addai-reportedly-quit-on-new-england-patriots
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/05/report-reggie-wayne-thought-playing-for-pats-was-not-fun/

Here we have two talented Colts players who tried joining New England, only to fizzle out during the conditioning portion of their training. Addai reportedly "quit," and Wayne said, the “work environment was tough,” and because the situation was "not fun."

Seems pretty obvious why we have a history of injuries then -- we're pampering our players. If one of our best Colt veterans is saying the work environment is tough, maybe we need a head coach to light a fire under us and demonstrate how to REALLY train, the Bill Belichick way.

I think that was Reggie trying to save face with the fans to some extent. He was done. Wasn't making that squad.

Addai quit because he was done too, I'd guess. I can't imagine BB is a fun guy but I think this is a bit of a coincidence and it's got nothing to do with this squad and their health. I guess if our coaches beat the players more (or whatever it is the Pats do) they'd stay healthier? 

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ad4053/article/joseph-addai-reportedly-quit-on-new-england-patriots
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/05/report-reggie-wayne-thought-playing-for-pats-was-not-fun/

Here we have two talented Colts players who tried joining New England, only to fizzle out during the conditioning portion of their training. Addai reportedly "quit," and Wayne said, the “work environment was tough,” and because the situation was "not fun."

Seems pretty obvious why we have a history of injuries then -- we're pampering our players. If one of our best Colt veterans is saying the work environment is tough, maybe we need a head coach to light a fire under us and demonstrate how to REALLY train, the Bill Belichick way.

No, I think you way over think things,

I don't think that's it.  Wayne and Addai were both from the old regime (though Wayne did play a few years here with Luck/Pagano).  All of these injury problems were present during the Polian years and are still present with this regime.  I don't think it has to do with being too soft on the players.

10 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Hmmm... Pats used to have a Hungirian punter, Zoltan Mesko whose memoirs were issued last year in Hungary. The book is giving a good glimpse in coaching the Bill Belichick way. Actually his asst. coach Josh McDaniels tried to coach BB way in Denver, and after 1 season he was back in NE. simply did not work out...McDaniels has a different personality.

A change in 'company culture' is needed at Colts IMO, but I'm not sure the Pats' or (BB's) system would work well.

13 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Because someone else already stole my Dear God reference earlier in the thread, let me say Holy Moses...

One thing I do know is that you are 100% unqualified to make this connection.  

2 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Hmmm... Pats used to have a Hungirian punter, Zoltan Mesko whose memoirs were issued last year in Hungary. The book is giving a good glimpse in coaching the Bill Belichick way. Actually his asst. coach Josh McDaniels tried to coach BB way in Denver, and after 1 season he was back in NE. simply did not work out...McDaniels has a different personality.

A change in 'company culture' is needed at Colts IMO, but I'm not sure the Pats' or (BB's) system would work well.

Really? Mesko published a book? I'd like to read it. He is of Hungarian ethnicity but he was born in Romania. Is there an English version or is the book only in Hungarian?

Speaking of Patriots allegedly tough training that prevents injuries, I'm wondering how come that Gronk pulls a hammy, or Lewis, White, Solder, Hightower and others get injured then.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to this than some think. Idk about the pats. But you would be surprised at how little people know about health. 

Its not about strength and conditioning as much as it is about what these guys are eating and drinking. If you eat/drink wrong, your bones break. 

If you guys remember, our punter a little while back mentioned something about mr Adam, and how he was trying to take a few ques on healthful eating from him, and how it has made him preform at a higher level for longer. Now Adam and pat are kickers. But if you noticed Marvin Harrison, was quite the junk food eater in the off season. 

Maybe these guys don't believe in healthful eating as much as the next guys. Just a thought. 

And the last thing I need to hear from you guys is they know what they're doing. Because I know what I'm talking about, and they aren't doing it. There is a reason behind the colts being the most injured team in the league year in and year out, and it's not because these guys aren't working out/exercising enough. Your muscle, has absolutely nothing to do with the strength of your bones, or ligaments. 

Just now, RomanianColtsFan said:

Really? Mesko published a book? I'd like to read it. He is of Hungarian ethnicity but he was born in Romania. Is there an English version or is the book only in Hungarian?

Speaking of Patriots allegedly tough training that prevents injuries, I'm wondering how come that Gronk pulls a hammy, or Lewis, White, Solder, Hightower and others get injured then.

As far as I know there's only Hungarian version of his book. Interesting reed, I hope it will be translated to other languages later.

I don't think tough training prevents injury...rather contributing to injuries when training's too hard.

He described the atmosphere at Pats tough but sincere (at least it came down to me like this). When you don't prove yourself, you don't provide the leve you're expected you're cut. If you play out what you can you'll be on the roster. If you make a mistake during the training your mistake will be capitalized by your coach (mostly he had contact with ST coach), if you do everything right, it's your job. I think this 'company culture' contributes to Pats' 2nd or 3rd string players playing rather well.

It seems to me that injuries have occurred much more in recent years because teams are only allowed 1 day of hitting in practice in full pads.

No matter what anyone else thinks, if players tackle in practice, they tackle in games.  The more you practice the fundamentals of tackling, the less injuries happen, (See Cromartie's so called tackle that about broke his neck.)  Also, you make the tackles in a game. (See week 1)

The more running you do as a team helps in the hamstring department.

One I do not understand is the ankle injuries.  There have been so man.  I cannot remember in my 51 years seeing this many.  Yet we have all rolled our ankles and know how bad it feels.  Just on old fella's opinion.:lecture:

5 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Because someone else already stole my Dear God reference earlier in the thread, let me say Holy Moses...

One thing I do know is that you are 100% unqualified to make this connection.  

Hey,  if I'm going to steal then I'm going to steal from the best!      :thmup:

Yea I got annoyed when I found out when Grigson got here we had like one squat rack or something. I sometimes think we are soft, as our coaches are not your hard nosed guys like Belicheck or Tortorella, but to blame everything on strength and conditioning is crazy....clearly we are just cursed.