Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chiefs just released CB KeiVarae Russell

lollygagger8

1 minute ago, SDakColts said:

That is what most of my posts earlier on was mostly based on. Like you said we have too many injuries to pick up a project DB to groom him into an eventual starter/rotational player. I have no doubts on why you believe that Russell could have turned into a great press corner as that is what he excelled in at ND.

I just believe that after watching him both at ND, and with the Chiefs that he would need some development in key areas in order to produce consistent quality snaps. Plus with all of our injuries I see that the staff plays a lot of zone defense to try to cover up our injuries in the secondary. I don't think putting Russell out in zone coverages would be a good idea until he is coached up more.

Overall if we were healthier I believe Grigs would be more interested in all of these talented players that are being cut early on in the season. If we were healthy and could stash Russell for development I would have been all for it, but to throw him out in the fire over a more experienced proven NFL player I don't think would have been a good idea.

I actually think he'd be a quality CB who could play the boundary or slot. I am with those who think if you want to unlock the real talent put him at S. He wasn't a day 2 guy to me. I thought he should go back to school and think he might have if that didn't happen to Jaylon.  Imagine where he goes if he runs the 4.34 he ran before the injury.  You watch tape from the big games he flashes. CB is a tough spot to predict. 

5 hours ago, akcolt said:

I actually think he'd be a quality CB who could play the boundary or slot. I am with those who think if you want to unlock the real talent put him at S. He wasn't a day 2 guy to me. I thought he should go back to school and think he might have if that didn't happen to Jaylon.  Imagine where he goes if he runs the 4.34 he ran before the injury.  You watch tape from the big games he flashes. CB is a tough spot to predict. 

I agree I think he would flourish at S. His tackling was great for a corner, but would be average for a safety. He would have to improve in that aspect. He has trouble tracking the ball at times, but when he does he has some the best ball skills in the entire draft class. I think that the move to safety would be a project, but I don't think it would take him very long to transition his skill set accordingly. I still think he could be at least a slightly above average press CB he just needs work with his technique mostly at the LOS. 

If he ran that 4.34 during the combine chances are he would have been drafted much higher than the 3rd. Especially if he had decided to go back to school and put another year of solid play on tape.

Really it is too bad our roster is as thin as it is. If injuries weren't such a problem for us right now we could take chances on highly talented players like this and try to stash and develop these players in to solid pieces of our team down the line.

9 hours ago, SDakColts said:

Overall if we were healthier I believe Grigs would be more interested in all of these talented players that are being cut early on in the season. If we were healthy and could stash Russell for development I would have been all for it, but to throw him out in the fire over a more experienced proven NFL player I don't think would have been a good idea.

This is the mistake a lot of fans make.  Talented players are not cut early on in the season. Talented players are on rosters so their talent can help the team win.

22 hours ago, SDakColts said:

That means we weren't interested, and it also means that 23 other teams also passed on him before falling to the Bengals waiver claim position.

Yup, the Colts are ahead of the Bengals in waiver position, so they could have had him if they wanted him. Would have meant waiving someone on the active roster. I'm not not okay with passing on Russell...

15 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is the mistake a lot of fans make.  Talented players are not cut early on in the season. Talented players are on rosters so their talent can help the team win.

Not if they are raw. Russell is a raw athlete that is going to need time to develop into a solid starting CB/S. He has a lot of tools you want, but he needs work. Teams sometimes have to cut good athletes with great potential in order to keep players that can contribute more right away.