Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is responsible for Chris Berman calling MNF?

Superman

What most of the posts here fail to acknowledge is Chris Berman is one of the upper class at ESPN nd is known to be an arrogant bully to anyone that dares to challenge the smallest thing at ESPN. I agree he is the most annoying #$%#$ behind the mic. I never watch their pregame shows because of him He is tuck in the 60's with his constant references to popular songs back then and his never ending "The Raiderzzz" bit popular when hippies ruled and Hank Stram was their bitter foe. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's not a little bit away from being ready.

He's light years away from being ready.

This isn't a hard decision for the Rams.      At least,  not yet.     Goff may make it a harder decision at some point,  but we're not there yet.

I disagree. Completely.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because it's been written and talked about here in Los Angeles as well as on ESPN and NFL.com and so on.

This is not exactly a state secret.

ESPN is reporting Goff is light years behind Keenum?   I must have missed that article

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I disagree. Completely.

Good for you.

Feel free to find articles across the internet that backs you up.

Oh, you'll find some articles out today saying things like "it couldn't get any worse,  what do the Rams have to lose?!"      

But, on balance, you'll find articles with quotes from Jeff Fisher who simply says Jared Goff is not ready.

Disagree all you want,  but the people who run the Rams say he's not ready.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

ESPN is reporting Goff is light years behind Keenum?   I must have missed that article

If you think I've mischaracterized it --- fine.      In the grand scheme of things,  it doesn't matter.

What does matter is that Jeff Fisher is widely quoted saying Goff isn't ready yet.  

You can disagree all you want,  but Fisher gets the last say.  

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If you think I've mischaracterized it --- fine.      In the grand scheme of things,  it doesn't matter.

What does matter is that Jeff Fisher is widely quoted saying Goff isn't ready yet.  

You can disagree all you want,  but Fisher gets the last say.  

That's fine.   But no way is Goff light years behind the train wreck that keenum is.   If he is,  Then the rams messed up royally 

I respect Berman for his longevity to the industry, but retire already.

he's lost that "something" and his voice sounds like a transmission with ground gears.  He kinda sounds like he has a few marbles in his mouth and he gives me a headache.  His timing and jokes just aren't what they used to be.

his boothwork is starting to resemble his golfgame.  Worse swing than Barkley.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good for you.

Feel free to find articles across the internet that backs you up.

Oh, you'll find some articles out today saying things like "it couldn't get any worse,  what do the Rams have to lose?!"      

But, on balance, you'll find articles with quotes from Jeff Fisher who simply says Jared Goff is not ready.

Disagree all you want,  but the people who run the Rams say he's not ready.

No. That is not how it works. You have made a claim that Goff is not even close to being ready, and that he is miles behind Keenan. It is your responsibility to provide proof of that. Not mine.

I know exactly who Jeff fisher is. We have had several games against him, because of his days in the South. He does not like to play young quarterbacks. He was publicly forced to play Young by Titans owner Bud Adams. It was a public spectacle.

You and others are making wrong assumptions about Goff simply because you are comparing Fisher and Goff to any other coach and young quarterback. You can't accurately do that.

Bottom line is, I am finished talking about it. If you want to blindly keep looking into Goff without fully understanding the situation, then it is your choice. 

18 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

No. That is not how it works. You have made a claim that Goff is not even close to being ready, and that he is miles behind Keenan. It is your responsibility to provide proof of that. Not mine.

I know exactly who Jeff fisher is. We have had several games against him, because of his days in the South. He does not like to play young quarterbacks. He was publicly forced to play Young by Titans owner Bud Adams. It was a public spectacle.

You and others are making wrong assumptions about Goff simply because you are comparing Fisher and Goff to any other coach and young quarterback. You can't accurately do that.

Bottom line is, I am finished talking about it. If you want to blindly keep looking into Goff without fully understanding the situation, then it is your choice. 

I don't have to.      The stories are all over the internet.

He's not starting and in game one,  he's 3rd string.      This week he's 2nd string.    But is he starting?    No.

Your question has been answered.

Fisher is the man who drafted Steve McNair and handled him right.    McNair didn't start until year 3.

Fisher is the man who drafted Vince Young and handled him right.      If you want to take the side of Bud Adams, please,  be my guest.

If Fisher,  whose job may be on the line now,  if he says Goff isn't ready,   then he isn't ready.

EDIT NOTE:    Here is a story that I just found over at NFL.com.     It will NOT help your argument. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000702262/article/fisher-jared-goff-could-be-rams-backup-qb-week-2

23 hours ago, BOTT said:

Berman obviously knows where the bodies are buried.

Uh huh. Chris has been there at ESPN forever; So that actually makes perfect sense. 

8 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

Berman has a face for radio

OUCH! Cruel, but still funny. Most of us can't be handsome devils you know. I sure as hades am not. 

In all seriousness, who else are they gonna get to do the late game? Does any serious NFL fan give a rat's caboose about the 49ers & Rams in 2016 anyway? Told ya. Most people were asleep anyway. Didn't Berman just survive Cancer too? Let's not kick a man in recovery shall we...

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

like him on Sunday countdown. He and Jackson were good together.

I never watch Pre Game Show nonsense anymore, but I do like how Berman always says "The Ray-ders" & "Pack, Pack, Pack" 3 times really fast when doing Green Bay highlights. His voice inflections are pretty darn funny. 

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

You're in the minority on planet earth.

I do agree that Chris as a play by play announcer is less than stellar just like John Madden left a lot to be desired with his captain obvious insights. Pat Summerall was fantastic & they stuck him with John. Sigh...

I always crack up when forum members use the term "planet earth" since we can't exactly reside on Mars or Saturn right now. The Blue planet is all we've got at the moment so our options are kind of limited as either a voting block or setting down permanent roots. SW1 knows what you're driving at though.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's not starting and in game one,  he's 3rd string.      This week he's 2nd string.    But is he starting?    No.

Fisher is the man who drafted Steve McNair and handled him right.    McNair didn't start until year 3.

Fisher is the man who drafted Vince Young and handled him right.      If you want to take the side of Bud Adams, please,  be my guest.

If Fisher,  whose job may be on the line now,  if he says Goff isn't ready,   then he isn't ready.

EDIT NOTE:    Here is a story that I just found over at NFL.com.     It will NOT help your argument. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000702262/article/fisher-jared-goff-could-be-rams-backup-qb-week-2

Everyone on here has taught you everything you have just said, including me teaching you some of it.

LOL

I am done with this. Find some creativity in your arguments. 

9 hours ago, buccolts said:

And the personality to sell used cars.

I hope no used car salesmen were hurt while making this retort.

I actually felt bad for the used cars in your humorous rant BC, but I digress. 

Yeah, I know. I said be nice to Chris earlier & then I go & slam him. My bad. 

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Everyone on here has taught you everything you have just said, including me teaching you some of it.

LOL

I am done with this. Find some creativity in your arguments. 

Huh?

I have no idea what you're talking about.      But that's OK.

Because even worse,  is that YOU have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm happy to drop this topic.       But you should be thrilled,  because the longer this goes,  the worse for you.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

I have no idea what you're talking about.      But that's OK.

Because even worse,  is that YOU have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm happy to drop this topic.       But you should be thrilled,  because the longer this goes,  the worse for you.

Whatever dude.

You have your opinion, and it's always a copy and paste from someone else. Never original. Not once have I read anything original from you. But I don't care. I am just going to stop responding to you. You're just not worth talking to. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It was pretty common knowledge Bud Adams forced Fisher to start Vince.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4597423

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Whatever dude.

You have your opinion, and it's always a copy and paste from someone else. Never original. Not once have I read anything original from you. But I don't care. I am just going to stop responding to you. You're just not worth talking to. 

I think you have me confused with somebody else.

Seriously.

But if it means you won't respond to me in the future,   then it's all been worth while! 

Thanks!          :thmup:

I like Chris on sports center....but a whole game is a little too much for me to listen to. I had to turn the channel...not only was the game just boring but a little Chris goes a long way. There is a difference in doing some highlights and adding some funny commentary and then having to have him go on for hours about the same two teams....rough. Hope him well in his retirement though!

As for the Goff situation. Watching Wentz light up Cleveland last week it is definitely going to put pressure on Fischer and company to get Goff out there sooner rather than later. When you have a qb look that inept as Keenum did there isn't much excuse not to put the kid out there and let him learn on the go. My opinion if he isn't taking a beating physically ala Tim Couch and David Carr and getting gun shy because of all the sacks and hits then the kid is just learning. It would be great if you had a Brett Favre or Peyton Manning to sit behind and learn and watch but there is something to be said that you can't simulate gameplay. That experience is invaluable. I could understand if the team had a viable starter but they don't...so I'd say Fisher should get him out there and play him....but we all know Fisher around her.....good ol MR. 8-8....and we wouldn't want the guy to have a losing season so its better to play the veteran and try to go 8-8 then bring along a rookie and teach him the game and possibly have a losing season or two while he learns. In my opinion if a qb needs a year or two on the bench before playing then he shouldn't be a #1 pick. #1 pick should have the moxie and the skill and character to handle being a leader and taking some lumps and learning his craft on the go. There are many that don't make it but I think a lot of those were reaches or didn't have a good staff set around them to succeed but a coach not playing them just because he is worried about his job...yeah I don't like that. At this point in LA I'd have a hard time not putting Goff out there to learn since he should give them just as likely a chance to win unless he is hurt or he is severely behind in the learning process. We have seen several teams start young qbs...sure you have to limit the offense for them and protect them but LA is so bad there is no sense in not getting this kid experience.

The real issue is that Rams O Line is garbage. They allowed 17 pressures on Keenum. Now I definitely don't think Goff is ready to start by any means but if that O Line wouldn't get him killed (It would) he could be put out there and made go through the lumps and bumps early but its way to risky for him behind that bad pass blocking O Line. He would be running for his life or it would be a situation similar to David Carrs rookie year if he was put out there right now

On 9/14/2016 at 10:48 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I know.     That's my point.     If Fisher doesn't think a QB is ready,  he won't start them.

To his own detriment, IMO. Vince Young was clearly the best option for the Titans, and Fisher had to be dragged in kicking and screaming... 

58 minutes ago, Superman said:

To his own detriment, IMO. Vince Young was clearly the best option for the Titans, and Fisher had to be dragged in kicking and screaming... 

Perhaps.....

But Vince Young always ran hot and cold,  and soon found himself out of the NFL.

Maybe, if Fisher had been allowed to bring Young along slowly, as he did with Steve McNair,  perhaps Young would've been more prepared for life in the NFL?

I'm just thinking out loud here,   but I find it hard to believe that on an issue such as QB play,  Bud Adams was right and Jeff Fisher was wrong.       Just writing that sentence seems absurd to me.

I don't see how anyone is arguing that Goff is ready to play at this level. Whether or not you put him in anyway is a different argument, but his pre-season play speaks for itself. Pulled right from a USA Today article after pre-season:

Goff’s major preseason struggles and inability to adjust to pressure

We’ve talked a fair amount about Goff’s struggles against pressure throughout the preseason, but even putting that aside, there’s no better way to sum up the rookie’s preseason than by checking out his statistics.

Goff went 22-of-49 passing for 232 yards (4.7 yards per attempt) and two touchdowns, with two interceptions and three lost fumbles. He was also sacked four times. So, against second and third-string defenses, we saw Goff average less than five yards per attempt while completing just 44.9 percent of his passes. If those were numbers for a rookie against first-team defenses, they’d still be disappointing, but it’s even more concerning in this instance.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps.....

But Vince Young always ran hot and cold,  and soon found himself out of the NFL.

Maybe, if Fisher had been allowed to bring Young along slowly, as he did with Steve McNair,  perhaps Young would've been more prepared for life in the NFL?

I'm just thinking out loud here,   but I find it hard to believe that on an issue such as QB play,  Bud Adams was right and Jeff Fisher was wrong.       Just writing that sentence seems absurd to me.

To me, it's not about Bud Adams. If I remember correctly, Young showed some signs of playmaking ability, and Collins was (obviously) done. At the time, I felt that Young was the best option, based on my limited view, and thought Fisher was being stubborn. 

And I don't really think Young's issues had anything to do with him being put on the field too soon. 

Specific to Fisher, I think he has this reputation of being this popular players' coach, being able to relate to the team, a good coach for troubled young players, etc., and I don't know why that's the case. I felt, at the time, that he was wrong on Young. I'm not sure what the hesitation is on Goff, but I'm not so opposed to bringing him on slowly. At the same time, if the offense doesn't get any better than it was Monday night, I don't see how they can stick with Case Keenum. 

1 hour ago, BCoop said:

I don't see how anyone is arguing that Goff is ready to play at this level. Whether or not you put him in anyway is a different argument, but his pre-season play speaks for itself. Pulled right from a USA Today article after pre-season:

To me, preseason numbers don't matter. The film does, but I didn't watch a lot of Rams preseason action. Now that they're in LA, they don't play the Colts every year...

Anyways, while Goff was playing against second and third stringers, he was also playing with second and third stringers, a bunch of guys who are no longer on NFL rosters. So, to a large extent, the QB's effectiveness is a reflection of his surroundings, which weren't very good. One guy runs the wrong route, blows an assignment, whatever, and the QB can't perform.

On the other hand, our own Stephen Morris looked pretty good against/with second and third stringers... Preseason is hard to judge.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

To me, preseason numbers don't matter. The film does, but I didn't watch a lot of Rams preseason action. Now that they're in LA, they don't play the Colts every year...

Anyways, while Goff was playing against second and third stringers, he was also playing with second and third stringers, a bunch of guys who are no longer on NFL rosters. So, to a large extent, the QB's effectiveness is a reflection of his surroundings, which weren't very good. One guy runs the wrong route, blows an assignment, whatever, and the QB can't perform.

On the other hand, our own Stephen Morris looked pretty good against/with second and third stringers... Preseason is hard to judge.

I don't understand why your first rounder is in street clothes.   When they were down huge to the niners,  that would have been a perfect time for him to get snaps

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't understand why your first rounder is in street clothes.   When they were down huge to the niners,  that would have been a perfect time for him to get snaps

Yeah, even if you don't think he should be "the guy" yet, that's a great time for him to get some work. When the Niners bring in Kap, but Goff isn't dressed, it's kind of a facepalm moment. First rounder or not.