Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Way For Manning And Luck To Co-Exist

Jim Irsay has stated that Peyton Manning will be a Colt if he is healthy. The questions really lies with Manning's health.

There are a few obvious scenarios that can play out based on his health.

1. Peyton is healthy and plays next year with the Colts.

2. Peyton is not healthy and does not play (retires or is released.)

I was just thinking of the following scenario:

Peyton is not healthy enough to play and has not been cleared to play by March 8th, however, he has shown signs of recovery and is almost ready to play. According to the doctors, he would need a few more months of recovery before he can be cleared to play. I think Irsay would pay his bonus and Manning then remains a Colt. Irsay will draft Luck and Luck will play in the preseason games and the first 5-6 games of the season until Manning returns. This will provide Luck valuable experience. Manning will have a lot of incentive to work with Luck and teach him. And those opposing the Luck pick will then see this situation as the best of both worlds as he will come in and contribute to the team right away without pushing Manning out.

This may be a likely scenario as we know that Irsay likes Peyton and has been willing to pay him. Luck is a dynamic prospect that Irsay may not want to pass on, and until now, Manning's still rehabbing. It appears that this scenario will allow Manning more time to rehab and come back without rushing to meet the March 8th deadline.

Would this scenario change your mind about drafting Luck if you weren't a Luck supporter?

If the word "Luck" was swapped with the initialism "RG3" would you be in support?

of course he would be! Honestly, if Peyton was 100% and we knew for a fact that he would play the 4 best years of his career to finish out this contract...win the MVP all 4 years and win the Super Bowl all 4 years, this nutjob would still probably want RGIII instead and say he's not impressed with Manning!

Jim Irsay has stated that Peyton Manning will be a Colt if he is healthy. The questions really lies with Manning's health.

There are a few obvious scenarios that can play out based on his health.

1. Peyton is healthy and plays next year with the Colts.

2. Peyton is not healthy and does not play (retires or is released.)

I was just thinking of the following scenario:

Peyton is not healthy enough to play and has not been cleared to play by March 8th, however, he has shown signs of recovery and is almost ready to play. According to the doctors, he would need a few more months of recovery before he can be cleared to play. I think Irsay would pay his bonus and Manning then remains a Colt. Irsay will draft Luck and Luck will play in the preseason games and the first 5-6 games of the season until Manning returns. This will provide Luck valuable experience. Manning will have a lot of incentive to work with Luck and teach him. And those opposing the Luck pick will then see this situation as the best of both worlds as he will come in and contribute to the team right away without pushing Manning out.

This may be a likely scenario as we know that Irsay likes Peyton and has been willing to pay him. Luck is a dynamic prospect that Irsay may not want to pass on, and until now, Manning's still rehabbing. It appears that this scenario will allow Manning more time to rehab and come back without rushing to meet the March 8th deadline.

Would this scenario change your mind about drafting Luck if you weren't a Luck supporter?

The thing i have to ask, though...what if during his time starting those 5 or 6 games, what if Luck is putting up good #s and we are winning...how do you tell him "sorry, you're going back to the bench for the next 3 1/2yrs now"?

I'm all in favor of drafting Luck, as i know we need a back up QB now and a starter in the near future (and Luck is a LOT better than RGIII)...but i also want Peyton to be back healthy and to play out his contract n retire a Colt

The thing i have to ask, though...what if during his time starting those 5 or 6 games, what if Luck is putting up good #s and we are winning...how do you tell him "sorry, you're going back to the bench for the next 3 1/2yrs now"?

I'm all in favor of drafting Luck, as i know we need a back up QB now and a starter in the near future (and Luck is a LOT better than RGIII)...but i also want Peyton to be back healthy and to play out his contract n retire a Colt

If Luck is putting up good numbers and is winning, it's a good thing. When Manning is ready to play, I think that we all know that it's his team. Luck would understand this going into the situation.

As for sitting for 3 1/2 years, that to me is still up in the air. A lot can happen in that span of time. I personally do not think he would sit that long. Both would have trade value once they have proven that they could play.

Most anti-Luck fans are to hard headed and will never see the talent he has, even if he wins us a SB.

Nobody denies the talent he has, but he's no Peyton Manning.

Of all the 1st round, 1st overall pick QB's over the last 3 decades, none of them ever project to even reach 1 Super Bowl. Why everyone thinks he's going to do what Peyton hasn't been able to do (with the same owner in place, mind you) is beyond me.

We stand a better chance of winning more Super Bowls in the next 3 years with Manning than we would likely even sniff in 15 total years with Luck at the helm. That's mathematical fact.

That said, they can coexist of Irsay decides he wants them to, and Luck decides he's okay sitting on the bench. There will likely be no problems with Manning.

Of all the 1st round, 1st overall pick QB's over the last 3 decades, none of them ever project to even reach 1 Super Bowl. Why everyone thinks he's going to do what Peyton hasn't been able to do (with the same owner in place, mind you) is beyond me.

We stand a better chance of winning more Super Bowls in the next 3 years with Manning than we would likely even sniff in 15 total years with Luck at the helm. That's mathematical fact.

That said, they can coexist of Irsay decides he wants them to, and Luck decides he's okay sitting on the bench. There will likely be no problems with Manning.

Mathematical fact? Show us these mathematical facts then, your "Why Peyton Manning will be as fit as he was 5 years ago" maths work was astonishing so I'm expecting more of the same here.

Right, I've tried asking you twice and you've point blank avoided my question.

How is it 'mathematical fact' that Manning will take us to a Super Bowl with a worse team around him, 3 neck surgeries and a year out of the game?! He took us to two in his prime, what makes you think he'll do the same now?!

Mathmatical fact? Come on. So basically you're saying Luck has no chance of ever winning us a SB when we've never even seen him play in the pro's?! Give me a break. Can I borrow your crystal ball? Don't get me wrong, I want Peyton back as much as anyone but, the possibility of Manning never being able to perform at the same level he's use to is very real. We must take Luck.

Doogan, I think it makes sense to use the past as a guide of what the future may look like. Everyone has tendencies and so do organizations. However, to look as far ahead as a few years from now may be very difficult given that we have a new GM, new coaches, and will have a new roster withing the next few years due to the turnover in the NFL. We cannot assume that because we have the same owner, we will always run the same offense, defense, and special teams. It's very possible the Luck turns out to be great and he does help us win a few superbowls. It is also very possible that he turns out to be exactly like Alex Smith and needs the help of a great team to make it to the post season. Either way, there are no guarantees. The only thing that we can do is make the best diecision with the information given to us. Right now, it's that Manning is not yet healthy enough to play.

of course he would be! Honestly, if Peyton was 100% and we knew for a fact that he would play the 4 best years of his career to finish out this contract...win the MVP all 4 years and win the Super Bowl all 4 years, this nutjob would still probably want RGIII instead and say he's not impressed with Manning!

No Id rather have Peyton but Luck isnt Peyton and RG3 is the better prospect.

No Id rather have Peyton but Luck isnt Peyton and RG3 is the better prospect.

RGIII is NOT the better prospect...i hate to wish bad things for anyone, but i am on the verge of hoping that RGIII flames out and is out of the league faster than Ryan Leaf, just so you will shut up already about him

RGIII is NOT the better prospect...i hate to wish bad things for anyone, but i am on the verge of hoping that RGIII flames out and is out of the league faster than Ryan Leaf, just so you will shut up already about him

My hope is Luck does the same or ends up another Ryan Leaf, or that QB from the raiders ,that was all that, then got fat & lazy, then got cut.

I don't understand why people are so crazy about Luck, didn't he lose the Heisman 2 yrs in a row? I watched his games and wondered why he is so talked about, honesly.

Anyways, who says there is not another Rodgers or Brady (i hate sayin his name) just sitting in the lower rounds, that did not get a ton of media coverage?

My hope is Luck does the same or ends up another Ryan Leaf, or that QB from the raiders ,that was all that, then got fat & lazy, then got cut.

I don't understand why people are so crazy about Luck, didn't he lose the Heisman 2 yrs in a row? I watched his games and wondered why he is so talked about, honesly.

Anyways, who says there is not another Rodgers or Brady (i hate sayin his name) just sitting in the lower rounds, that did not get a ton of media coverage?

Winning the Heisman means absolutely NOTHING in the NFL...are you even being serious? lol

Mathematical fact huh.... please tell me you have some kind of degree in mathematics. If anything we have learned over the past decade or so, you can have the best QB in the game but it doesn't guarantee you a SB.

I'm not required to show my work to armchair experts, but I will throw you a bone.

First of all, no college QB is ever projected, mathematically, to reach a Super Bowl (roughly 1:33,000,000). That gives Luck a less than 0.001% chance of ever doing it with any team, let alone this one.

Manning's projections for the renainder of his career would be the same, except that he's already proven capable of doing so in the NFL. He went twice in five years, with a far worse team than he had in 2004-2005. For three of the last five seasons, Manning has played through the pain of peripheral nerve damage, limiting his throwing motion, head and neck movement, and stamina. Now we've got a new set of coaches, a new GM, and a renewed focus on defense, and balance. Why then would Manning have it harder?

Should he return, he will be pain free, and his body will have rested for a year. He will still have full training camp to get back into the swing of things, and we are talking about the smartest, and hardest working player in history. Coupled with the fact that he will presumably inherit a system that alleviates the burden he bears, his chances have never been better. All of it hinges, naturally, on the presumption he returns healthy. The factor is altered by 50% on that fact alone, but again, having proven the odds of reaching the Super Bowl haven't applied to him, he is would be more likely to reach the big game at age 45 than Luck would be in fifteen years combined.

Luck hasn't changed the odds, as he hasn't played in this system, with these players, or even a single down on a Sunday. He presents nothing to alter the original odds, and he would be playing for this same "bad" team you all lament to discredit Peyton's chances.

First of all, no college QB is ever projected, mathematically, to reach a Super Bowl (roughly 1:33,000,000). That gives Luck a less than 0.001% chance of ever doing it with any team, let alone this one.

pssst... there aren't 33 million college quarterbacks and more than one reaches the NFL every year.

I'm not required to show my work to armchair experts, but I will throw you a bone.

Wait.......what.....

Oh, fun with math and statistics.

I think most QBs past and present in the NFL were at one time college QBs.

I think at least 90% of the QBs who led their teams to win the past 45 SBs were at one time college QBs.

So mathematically, >90% of SB QBs were college QBs.

I think you have a much better chance of leading your team to win a SB if you were once a college QB.

Manning's projections for the renainder of his career would be the same, except that he's already proven capable of doing so in the NFL. He went twice in five years, with a far worse team than he had in 2004-2005. For three of the last five seasons, Manning has played through the pain of peripheral nerve damage, limiting his throwing motion, head and neck movement, and stamina. Now we've got a new set of coaches, a new GM, and a renewed focus on defense, and balance. Why then would Manning have it harder?

Should he return, he will be pain free, and his body will have rested for a year. He will still have full training camp to get back into the swing of things, and we are talking about the smartest, and hardest working player in history. Coupled with the fact that he will presumably inherit a system that alleviates the burden he bears, his chances have never been better. All of it hinges, naturally, on the presumption he returns healthy. The factor is altered by 50% on that fact alone, but again, having proven the odds of reaching the Super Bowl haven't applied to him, he is would be more likely to reach the big game at age 45 than Luck would be in fifteen years combined.

Luck hasn't changed the odds, as he hasn't played in this system, with these players, or even a single down on a Sunday. He presents nothing to alter the original odds, and he would be playing for this same "bad" team you all lament to discredit Peyton's chances.

Hahahahaha, oh my God, it gets better. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!