Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Football is about match ups, I think we match up well vs Denver

chad72

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

K-man...I think you are simply wrong ..He's run through and over Carolina games 2 games in a row

..Anderson is very hard to stop with one guy in the open field..,,and he can just bounce off guys

CJ is a different player....than Riddick and Abdullah..but he;s a much stronger runner.

I worry about us tackling him.....because few do well at that

But you need to see proof...and you will Sunday..

The bottom line is...if we don't get some defensive backs into the lineup, we'll need 35 points again

Give me CJ Anderson best game against Indy. You speak as if he's headed for the pro bowl. Tackling as I mentioned is key. They do not use him like Abdullah and Riddick and that's fact

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Give me CJ Anderson best game against Indy. You speak as if he's headed for the pro bowl. Tackling as I mentioned is key. They do not use him like Abdullah and Riddick and that's fact

I think Anderson does make the pro bowl under the system he is playing for now.

On September 12, 2016 at 2:29 PM, krunk said:

Kubiak: Luck, Colts are 'dangerous'

Head Coach Gary Kubiak talks about the challenges the Colts present and why Andrew Luck is so difficult to bring down.

"He's exceptional. A lot like [Ben] Roethlisberger." Hades yeah!  That's why I like Kubiak. Unlike Bill Belichick's club, Gary isn't trying to soft soak ya meaning throw flowery language your QB's way to lull him into a flattery session about how good he is. Gary says what he means & means what he says. 

Plus, I wanna get Luck/Favre comparisons out of peoples heads. Big Ben is a much better example of Luck's size, strength, tenacity, & overall game in my view. 

23 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Our secondary cant cover them without Vontae and TJ Green..

I just hope Andrew is not injured..Broncos take some cheap shots

21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Our 'D; can be embarassed more than it has been. if 4 or 5 DBs don't play.

Siemian threw on the first 6 plays last week...and, at home, they'll come out throwing again.

Why wouldn't they?

....The Mile High air gets you late in the game.....and, again, we have rookies and 'just got here' guys in the secondary. Forget YAC...that's not an important stat if you go over the top...Receiver is a very strong position for them.

To win, we have to gamble a lot defensively to confuse Siemian but we have to do it without confusing our patch-work secondary.

That's a high wire act

2 well written posts OUM. Yeah, cheap shots on Chewbacca concerns me too & I pray we can get a few love taps on Trevor early with Akeem Ayers, Robert Mathis, Erik Walden, & whoever else wants to converge on Simian repeatedly on Sunday. Hades, even Haloti Ngata proved that just getting your arms up to deflect passes kills drives man or at least it derailed offensive momentum. 

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

2 well written posts OUM. Yeah, cheap shots on Chewbacca concerns me too & I pray we can get a few love taps on Trevor early with Akeem Ayers, Robert Mathis, Erik Walden, & whoever else wants to converge on Simian repeatedly on Sunday. Hades, even Haloti Ngata proved that just getting your arms up to deflect passes kills drives man or at least it derailed offensive momentum. 

This is about our 5th time playing Denver and Marc always comes with the "oh I hope they don't hurt Luck" stuff all the time. Sometimes I confuse him for a bronco fan he drools over them so much. And we beat them almost each and every time. I dont get it

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:39 AM, cmgww said:

We have had success against Von Miller. He has been pretty much invisible against the Colts in 2013, both 2014 games and in last year's game. Looking at the stats and searching my memory of the games...Von Miller hasn't been the problem when playing Denver's defense. Their DBs have been. But it's a new season too, so who knows. Hopefully the line can continue to improve and we game plan him out of the game like in the past 

I haven't seen much of a problem with the broncos. Usually ends in Colts Win!

I remember last year all the chicken little clubbers were talking like straight cowards after they watched Denver dismantle Green Bay. Oh the Broncos are going to kill the Colts! Came to Lucas oil and we were straight laying the smack down on those boys. That stupid kickoff return let them back in it a bit and some bad defense in the second half. I'm saying this to say dont let that Carolina game get you spooked like that Greenbay game from last year. We most certainly can win this game.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

This is about our 5th time playing Denver and Marc always comes with the "oh I hope they don't hurt Luck" stuff all the time. Sometimes I confuse him for a bronco fan he drools over them so much. And we beat them almost each and every time. I dont get it

I won't presume to speak for OUM. I just remember the lacerated kidney & the whooping Luck took in that victory. That cannot happen again or we are dead. Nothing against Tolzien of course. 

In OUM's defense, Denver is notorious for late hits after the play has been blown dead. Just ask Cam Newton. LOL! [Yes, SW1 is aware of the delicious irony of saying no comment on OUM's POV & then giving my opinion anyway. I do that a lot. Guilty as charged. OUM is a cool guy so, I let it slide.] 

You're probably right though. Habit dictates odds in our favor. 

27 minutes ago, krunk said:

I remember last year all the chicken little clubbers were talking like straight cowards after they watched Denver dismantle Green Bay. Oh the Broncos are going to kill the Colts!

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" I know there's always gotta be 1 smart caboose in the group. All kidding aside though, I do enjoy beating Denver all the time. It makes our squad look respectable when we defeat a SB Champion club especially when so many NFL experts thought  we were about to be slaughtered. It almost makes up for getting schooled by the Steelers every yr. almost. 

Tim Tebow beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs for crying out loud but INDY can't. That's just wrong on so many levels. Sigh...Let it go. I'm trying man. I really am. 

I think we currently match up pretty poorly with them, especially without Vontae on defense who has often beasted vs. Denver. But, I could be suprised on Sunday.......hey you never know.......

It will come down to our defense....or whats left of it. And who the hell this Trevor Something kid is at QB and what he is truly made of. Carolina dropped a few interceptions from him if I remember right but they also have a much much better defense then we do. 

And Denver on the road or at home is a different story as well. I wish this game was in Indy.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

who did they have in the super bowl that could not be easily taken out by Talib and Harris?

Its not about the Super Bowl....We play Denver THIS week.

Denver played Carolina LAST week....

You know Carolina got their 1,000-yard receiver back? .

Kelvin Benjamin.....He's a big time playmaker

He played last week..

..and Ted Ginn has great speed...as fast as anyone we have

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I won't presume to speak for OUM. I just remember the lacerated kidney & the whooping Luck took in that victory. That cannot happen again or we are dead. Nothing against Tolzien of course. 

In OUM's defense, Denver is notorious for late hits after the play has been blown dead. Just ask Cam Newton. LOL! [Yes, SW1 is aware of the delicious irony of saying no comment on OUM's POV & then giving my opinion anyway. I do that a lot. Guilty as charged. OUM is a cool guy so, I let it slide.] 

You're probably right though. Habit dictates odds in our favor. 

Thank you...sw.....Call me a wimpy weenie but I hope they dont hurt Andrew.....as you say........that's what they do..'public enemy' Ward and 'person of interest' Talib and those boys are not above late hits...

I dont understand looking at last week's games and being comfortable with us playing at Denver based on past years. 

If we don't get some DBs off the injured list, that stupid white horse they have is going to be galloping all over the field

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I remember last year all the chicken little clubbers were talking like straight cowards after they watched Denver dismantle Green Bay. Oh the Broncos are going to kill the Colts! Came to Lucas oil and we were straight laying the smack down on those boys. That stupid kickoff return let them back in it a bit and some bad defense in the second half. I'm saying this to say dont let that Carolina game get you spooked like that Greenbay game from last year. We most certainly can win this game.

last year, krunk....when we had DBs...

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Thank you...sw.....Call me a wimpy weenie but I hope they dont hurt Andrew.....as you say........that's what they do..'public enemy' Ward and 'person of interest' Talib and those boys are not above late hits...

I dont understand looking at last week's games and being comfortable with us playing at Denver based on past years. 

If we don't get some DBs off the injured list, that stupid white horse they have is going to be galloping all over the field

Honestly I am a wimpy weenie too then. Luck sliced and diced them up last year but then he got his abdomen and kidney......sliced and diced.

Bad memories. 

No shame in being a wimpy weenie when playing Denver. Lately they have beaten the crap out of everyone. They did it to Brady, Cam twice and well now our "all pro" o line waltzes in and we have to pray it protects the franchise.

Ayyeayyyyyyy

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Its not about the Super Bowl....We play Denver THIS week.

Denver played Carolina LAST week....

You know Carolina got their 1,000-yard receiver back? .

Kelvin Benjamin.....He's a big time playmaker

He played last week..

..and Ted Ginn has great speed...as fast as anyone we have

yeah but my initial comments were about the super bowl. Even with their current team there's not a lot of speed outside of Ginn who is not an accomplished receiver and he drops the ball a lot. Benjamin is a threat, but not with his speed, plus they limited his snaps and he's still not moving all the way right.

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

last year, krunk....when we had DBs...

we didnt play good defense in that game. The lions game we had problems with the linebackers, not the secondary marc. Most of the passes traveled no more than 5-6 yards. That's on the linebackers. The problems were mostly related to tackling. A lot of people play bad in week 1 coming out of preseason. I think we will improve this week. When it comes to the D line we were in position to make the play on more than one occasion and we whiffed the tackle. I think with another week of these guys playing together theyll correct some of their mistakes. Obviously it wont be perfect. And they wont need to be. I think this offense will put points on the board against that defense. I do not think Simean is Stafford and I don't think CJ Anderson will be running all over the place. I'm not in agreement with you that they have all these great receivers either. They have 2 in Sanders and Thomas. 1 tight end in Virgil Green. Everyone else they have is unproven or hurt like Bennie Fowler. Thomas is likely not to play and if he does it probably wont be long. He can barely make it through practice.

The OP is right, it is about matchups, and fortunately, we match up well against Denver, and have been giving the Broncos fits for years now.  I can see the Colts O putting up 30 against Denver, and I can see the Colts D holding Denver to around 20-24.

Remember both games last week came down to a last-minute FG.  If both teams play like they did last week, the Colts will win.  The Colts can keep up in a shootout, Denver can't, they just don't have the horses for it on offense. :hat:

My concern is Luck staying clean.  This is the game last year where he got sandwiched and lacerated his kidney.  If the Colts don't literally get beat up in this game, they should win.  I predict 31-28 Colts or 20-17 Denver, either way, it will probably come down to a long last-minute FG attempt in that mile-high air.  :clover:

"We know when we're playing one of the best," Talib said. "It takes more preparation than the time we have at work. We're aware that we're playing one of the best this week, and we've got to prepare like it."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-things-you-should-know-from-the-Broncos-Wednesday/8f424c41-6b6c-4ac7-b554-3027faad9c10

They know what's coming this week.  You can tell they don't look at this as if they are playing Cam Newton and the Panthers.  They know Indy has a better offensive attack. You can see it in the way they speak.  They never say stuff like this when they play Cam Newton.

They said they are going to play Bronco Football, "Do what we do".  I'm sure that's what they believe on both sides of the football so I'm not expecting them to do much of anything different on the offensive side of the football.  They are going to do what they've always done with Kubiak and that scheme, which is run the football, so I'm not expecting them to come out passing the football all over the place because of injuries in our secondary.  They are going to do what they do.

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 0:23 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Siemian beat the Panthers' D, and they have far more talent than we do.  I'm not excited for this next game, nor do I think we match up well against their offense with our defense.  Luck has always been able to play well against Denver, but it's our defense that concerns me

:agree:.

On 9/12/2016 at 10:53 AM, chad72 said:

If we stop the run and force Siemian to throw, he won't have quite the arsenal that Stafford has, especially if DT is out. Thus, we can make the game close. Just hope they put Talib on T.Y. and we exploit that match up when it happens.

I am pumped for this game despite all the doom and gloom of our fans.  

I totally agree with OP if we can get Siemian to throw long and force him to be accurate deep even against our backups then i say we have a good chance to get some 3 and outs.  Seemed like in the Panthers game he never had to throw long.  Hopefully we will have a wrinkle in getting some better pressure on QB or at least cover tight in the first 10 yards and make him have to hit in tight spaces or be tempted to go long.

I also agree that we match up well surprisingly, but more so in our O vs their D.  

This will be the best possible test of our new OL and if they hold up well then I believe we are set for the remaining year even if this is a loss.  

I am of course expecting a WIN for the good guys in a struggle.