Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Football is about match ups, I think we match up well vs Denver

chad72

2 minutes ago, Jim H. said:

Prediction:   Denver comes out cocky and sloppy.  Early on - Colts get a turnover and go up by seven.  Defense holds on the next series, Colts move down and stall, kicking a field goal.  With a ten-point lead the Colts gain confidence while Denver's offense feels pressure and panics,  turning the ball over again.  Colts kick another field goal and end up going into the half up 13-0.

Second half...No clue.  

LOL

I'd really like to hand it to em!  There's some arrogant dudes on that squad.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

So are we going to also most likely chalk TJ Green and Robinson out for this one?  Not only was the secondary horrendously banged up, one could easily state that they weren't even the weak link, the front 7 were.  Sio played ok getting a lot of tackles, and for the life of me did DJacks do anything or even play???!!??

honestly, it wasnt our secondary that gave up the big plays, it was our linebackers.  They missed tackle after tackle. 

Talib and Harris don't exactly shut TY and Moncrief down in any of our matchups.  Dorsett has now been added to the equation as well.  Plus we have two tight ends to deal with that are getting more catches,  and a host of running backs who are virtually like WRs when it comes to catching the football. Mostly Ferguson and Todman, but Turbin can catch the football as well.   That's the bigger difference than any of our other matchups.  We have increased the amount of people we can get the ball to on any down.  We are a lot harder to defend in my opinion.  Even when we can't run the football we can play a New England style type of game with these screens and the usage of the backs in the passing game to get first downs.  More options to burn the blitz are available.  We just need to stick our chest out a little bit early in the game and play with more confidence.  Play like the dominant offense we are.   I think the trust is still being built among this group.  Going to get better and better.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Talib and Harris don't exactly shut TY and Moncrief down in any of our matchups.  Dorsett has now been added to the equation as well.  Plus we have two tight ends to deal with that are getting more catches,  and a host of running backs who are virtually like WRs when it comes to catching the football. Mostly Ferguson and Todman, but Turbin can catch the football as well.   That's the bigger difference than any of our other matchups.  We have increased the amount of people we can get the ball to on any down.  We are a lot harder to defend in my opinion.  Even when we can't run the football we can play a New England style type of game with these screens and the usage of the backs in the passing game to get first downs.  More options to burn the blitz are available.  We just need to stick our chest out a little bit early in the game and play with more confidence.  Play like the dominant offense we are.   I think the trust is still being built among this group.  Going to get better and better.

Denver has had trouble covering TE's and RB's who line up out wide (last year's regular season game vs. Pats). Colts should be able to move the ball fairly well.

Just now, Restored said:

Denver has had trouble covering TE's and RB's who line up out wide (last year's regular season game vs. Pats). Colts should be able to move the ball fairly well.

Looks like we are making strides in addressing the turnovers.  Now we just need to play with a little better execution in some areas involving the run game, and just play with a little better confidence overall.   This is a dominant offense and we need to play with that same type of attitude the Broncos play with about their defense.  I think we have the tools to cause them all kinds of fits.  This offense can play any type of game.  We need the running game, but we'll still move the football even if there's an issue there. 

I expect Ferguson to figure in heavily in the pass game this week. I think we should prepare for a much different offense than we saw vs. the Lions. Andrew had all kinds of time to let the deep routes develop from the 2nd quarter on last Sunday. That won't happen again. The 1-2-3 count will be emphasized again all week I'm assuming. Any time beyond that will likely turn into sacks/turnovers for the offense.

Defensively, I don't know that we really have an answer here. We HAVE to slow down CJ Anderson. Have to. The guy just gashed the Carolina D and made it look easy. If the front 7 gets into the backfield, you can not miss tackles. Monachino better have someone spying him in passing situations as well. He went for 47 yards and a TD last week. Then, we'll just have to pray the secondary holds up against an inexperienced QB and banged up receiver corps. 

If we're completely healthy, then I do think we match up well against Denver. I just can't feel optimistic about winning in Denver until I see massive improvements on the defensive side of the ball. That was 0-16, 1-15 defense last week.

7 minutes ago, BCoop said:

I expect Ferguson to figure in heavily in the pass game this week. I think we should prepare for a much different offense than we saw vs. the Lions. Andrew had all kinds of time to let the deep routes develop from the 2nd quarter on last Sunday. That won't happen again. The 1-2-3 count will be emphasized again all week I'm assuming. Any time beyond that will likely turn into sacks/turnovers for the offense.

Defensively, I don't know that we really have an answer here. We HAVE to slow down CJ Anderson. Have to. The guy just gashed the Carolina D and made it look easy. If the front 7 gets into the backfield, you can not miss tackles. Monachino better have someone spying him in passing situations as well. He went for 47 yards and a TD last week. Then, we'll just have to pray the secondary holds up against an inexperienced QB and banged up receiver corps. 

If we're completely healthy, then I do think we match up well against Denver. I just can't feel optimistic about winning in Denver until I see massive improvements on the defensive side of the ball. That was 0-16, 1-15 defense last week.

I can't put much confidence in the defense myself either.  But I'll say I think they'll do better just from being together as a group for another week.  Cleaning up the communication issues and the tackling.  If we can just make them move methodically and come up only with 3 points on drives here and there I think the O will come through for us.  I don't believe Simien can go score for score with Luck.  If we put up 24 like last year I think that will be enough.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

Looks like we are making strides in addressing the turnovers.  Now we just need to play with a little better execution in some areas involving the run game, and just play with a little better confidence overall.   This is a dominant offense and we need to play with that same type of attitude the Broncos play with about their defense.  I think we have the tools to cause them all kinds of fits.  This offense can play any type of game.  We need the running game, but we'll still move the football even if there's an issue there. 

The run blocking comes with just improved line play. I understand the old adage is "run to pass" but this offense clearly has the talent to be a pass-first team and needs to play more open and attacking from the get-go IMO. Colts should be able to score 24+ this week.

14 minutes ago, BCoop said:

I thought we had a good number of Detroits runs played the right way, but then we would just totally screw up the tackling.  That absolutely has to be addressed. Absolutely.   It's imperative because everything about stopping this Broncos offense revolves around doing a good job against the run. You get that taken care of and that offense has problems.  Heck they had problems getting in the end zone even when they were gashing Carolina in the run game.

9 minutes ago, Restored said:

The run blocking comes with just improved line play. I understand the old adage is "run to pass" but this offense clearly has the talent to be a pass-first team and needs to play more open and attacking from the get-go IMO. Colts should be able to score 24+ this week.

I think it's important to be balanced on Sunday.  Even if we come out in passing formation there are a number of runs you can do out of shotgun to hold off the pass rush.  Like those shotgun sweeps to Todman for example.

I think we match up better vs Denver but I am not confident at all.  I think the offense can hold their own but I still don't see them scoring more than 21-24 points.  The defense is terrible.  Does anyone know if Anderson will at least be back this week or is he still out for a while?  They have to force Simien to beat them and can't let CJ Anderson go crazy.  One key to the game is the Colts actually tackling and minimizing yards after the catch.  If the they can do that and the offense doesn't start slow or turn the ball over they do have a slight chance to win in my opinion.  

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think it's important to be balanced on Sunday.  Even if we come out in passing formation there are a number of runs you can do out of shotgun to hold off the pass rush.  Like those shotgun sweeps to Todman for example.

Oh I agree you have to still run the ball. But a 50-50 ratio just won't really work for this team right now. Not until they can prove that they can effectively run block consistently.

16 minutes ago, Restored said:

Oh I agree you have to still run the ball. But a 50-50 ratio just won't really work for this team right now. Not until they can prove that they can effectively run block consistently.

I'm still of the opinion that we can run.  It's just fitting the type of runs we want to do with the personnel we have. That needs to be adjusted and tweaked.  We need some staple runs that fit what this group is capable of executing.  We're still feeling things out for the most part.  Also Chud said that he defines sticking with the run game as being able to run the football consistently when you need to run it.  Not necessarily keeping a 50/50 ratio.  I think we were able to do that at different points in the game when we needed to.  It's definitely a work in progress right now, but there are some points of encouragement.  

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm still of the opinion that we can run.  It's just fitting the type of runs we want to do with the personnel we have. That needs to be adjusted and tweaked.  We need some staple runs that fit what this group is capable of executing.  We're still feeling things out for the most part.  Also Chud said that he defines sticking with the run game as being able to run the football consistently when you need to run it.  Not necessarily keeping a 50/50 ratio.  I think we were able to do that at different points in the game when we needed to.  It's definitely a work in progress right now, but there are some points of encouragement.  

Yeah it is still a new system that the players are learning so there is definitely a curve. I'd like to see this team be able to run as well but the holes didn't really open up until the second half when the team was really having to force the ball down the field which lead to Detroit's defense playing a bit more off the ball. I agree there is reason to be encouraged though.

4 hours ago, BCoop said:

Of all the possible outcomes next week, I would guess the Colts defense shutting out any team in a half is the least likely scenario.

That's what so sweet about making predictions, BC.  One can have any outcome one desires.  :^)

I'm gonna reserve judgment on how well we match up with anyone until I see the D play somewhat ok. If they can't cover the middle of the field, we're toast.

Folks were claiming week one was a bet your house win. How'd that go?

Oline looked solid and gave Luck time, they have to keep that up and not crumble on the road. 

Also, don't forget to factor in the usual slow start.

3 hours ago, Restored said:

They had problems covering Riddick as well down the middle in the Lions game in Detroit but then they started forcing things to Megatron and Stafford threw bad throws into their zones.

If you can get T.J.Ward more in coverage than Darian Stewart, you have a good matchup there. If you spread them out, you have to be accurate and get rid of the ball fast because your RB is not inline picking up any blitzes then. You have to take shots deep, even if it is Chris Harris, like the Steelers did with Antonio Brown in that game at Pitt where the Broncos gave up 34 points.

They are going to man up with our 3 WRs and hope for their 4 man rush/stunts to get past our 5 OL, that is typically how they play. They like to keep T.J. Ward closer to the line of scrimmage because he is an excellent blitzer and box defender, the more farther you get him away from the line of scrimmage, you negate a strength of theirs, IMO. 

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They had problems covering Riddick as well down the middle in the Lions game in Detroit but then they started forcing things to Megatron and Stafford threw bad throws into their zones.

If you can get T.J.Ward more in coverage than Darian Stewart, you have a good matchup there. If you spread them out, you have to be accurate and get rid of the ball fast because your RB is not inline picking up any blitzes then. You have to take shots deep, even if it is Chris Harris, like the Steelers did with Antonio Brown in that game at Pitt where the Broncos gave up 34 points.

They are going to man up with our 3 WRs and hope for their 4 man rush/stunts to get past our 5 OL, that is typically how they play. They like to keep T.J. Ward closer to the line of scrimmage because he is an excellent blitzer and box defender, the more farther you get him away from the line of scrimmage, you negate a strength of theirs, IMO. 

Agreed. Denver was masterful at playing a tight zone and forcing tipped passes last year. Toddman would be a good option to line up out wide.

Ward has been a good run stopper for them but hasn't done so well in the passing game. The Colts have a better WR and TE core this season which should put more pressure on Denver than even last year. Agreed on the necessity deep shots as well.

I just worry that this might be the time that Denver's front 4 actually makes significant strides against the Colts offensive line even if history shows to the contrary. But if the Colts line plays as well as it did last week in terms of pass blocking, they should be fine.

Also, I'd really like to see some of Chud's screen's in action. The Colts have ran a number of them against Denver previously and of had success.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

they seem to like that 3 man rush a lot more lately since the Patriots playoff game.  I think we'll see quite a bit of that as well. I'm sure they feel they'll still get some pressure with that.

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we can I'd like to force them to play with an extra defender in the box so we can get over top of them.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

they seem to like that 3 man rush a lot more lately since the Patriots playoff game.  I think we'll see quite a bit of that as well. I'm sure they feel they'll still get some pressure with that.

That 3 man rush would be difficult because of the fact that Luck has some wheels they have to account for.

I would be shocked if T.J. Ward is not the spy.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

That 3 man rush would be difficult because of the fact that Luck has some wheels they have to account for.

I would be shocked if T.J. Ward is not the spy.

That and I think we'd have some well designed screens and crossers to attack that.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

That and I think we'd have some well designed screens and crossers to attack that.

Jack Del Rio tried that in the 2014 playoff game, the 3 man rush, and heavy zone, T.Y. picked those zones apart big time.

They'd do the same they did vs Cam, another running QB in the SB. They played that way the second half of game 1 to shut the Panthers to 3 points. They'd man up everyone they line up against, safety vs TE, CBs vs WRs, and force Cam with pocket push to throw off his back foot or start running with the confidence their guys can get some hits as the game goes on that Cam will back off the running and do more throwing from the pocket.

I'd even script out a few no huddle series to get them off their rhythm without substitution, spread them out, hope to get a lead and put them on the defensive before running conventional huddle, if it were me. 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Jack Del Rio tried that in the 2014 playoff game, the 3 man rush, and heavy zone, T.Y. picked those zones apart big time.

They'd do the same they did vs Cam, another running QB in the SB. They played that way the second half of game 1 to shut the Panthers to 3 points. They'd man up everyone they line up against, safety vs TE, CBs vs WRs, and force Cam with pocket push to throw off his back foot or start running with the confidence their guys can get some hits as the game goes on that Cam will back off the running and do more throwing from the pocket.

I'd even script out a few no huddle series to get them off their rhythm without substitution, spread them out, hope to get a lead and put them on the defensive before running conventional huddle, if it were me. 

I don't think that would be as effective against us.  They could do that to the Panthers because they didn't have any real speed or playmakers on that offense.  Corey Brown and Ginn maybe, but they are in no way TY, Dorsett, and Moncrief..  Especially not with all these deep crossers, pick routes and everything else we do.  We had all kind of one on one match ups we exploited against Detroit.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, chad72 said:

I know, I know. We are still grieving, mourning, seething, you name it, after the Lions loss.

However, there are a couple of things I noticed. Scat backs and TE coverage, 2 areas where our LBs struggle is not an area of strength/frequent utilization for the Broncos like it is for the Lions. Riddick, Sproles, Woodhead (I shudder playing the Chargers because of that) are backs that give us issues. 

The key is our DL vs the Broncos' OL and not let that OL dominate us in the run game. If we stop the run and force Siemian to throw, he won't have quite the arsenal that Stafford has, especially if DT is out. Thus, we can make the game close. Just hope they put Talib on T.Y. and we exploit that match up when it happens.

Another 20s game vs the Broncos, I anticipate but hoping for an injury free game at the end, and some desperation from the Colts team to make it 1-1.

I think that's wishful thinking...CJ Anderson is better than what Detroit had

Denver's O-line played Carolina to a standstill in the second half....

.....We need to pass on early downs to protect Andrew......and Frank Gore needs a big day..

......but we    cant cover them if Thomas and 3 of our DBs don't...they can wear us out

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

.....We need to pass on early downs to protect Andrew......and Frank Gore needs a big day..

......but we    cant cover them if Thomas and 3 of our DBs don't...they can wear us out

I don't think it is wishful thinking. I did say it is about our DL vs their OL. Stafford's 213 yards were yards after catch. Their key YAC guys are DT and Sanders. If DT does not play, I like our chances. Like I said, the key is to get ahead and take them out of their game plan, which for Kubiak will be to run well and play good D, and pass situationally. 

Plus, our D cannot be embarrassed more than it has been, and will come back to give us a solid performance. That would change a lot of things thus keeping it competitive. All we ask for is a competitive game at the end and with Luck upright, I will like our chances. I do agree about the cheap shots, hopefully the refs are looking out for Luck.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I don't think it is wishful thinking. I did say it is about our DL vs their OL. Stafford's 213 yards were yards after catch. Their key YAC guys are DT and Sanders. If DT does not play, I like our chances. Like I said, the key is to get ahead and take them out of their game plan, which for Kubiak will be to run well and play good D, and pass situationally. 

Plus, our D cannot be embarrassed more than it has been, and will come back to give us a solid performance. That would change a lot of things thus keeping it competitive. All we ask for is a competitive game at the end and with Luck upright, I will like our chances. I do agree about the cheap shots, hopefully the refs are looking out for Luck.

Our 'D; can be embarassed more than it has been. if 4 or 5 DBs don't play.

Siemian threw on the first 6 plays last week...and, at home, they'll come out throwing again.

Why wouldn't they?

....The Mile High air gets you late in the game.....and, again, we have rookies and 'just got here' guys in the secondary. Forget YAC...that's not an important stat if you go over the top...Receiver is a very strong position for them.

To win, we have to gamble a lot defensively to confuse Siemian but we have to do it without confusing our patch-work secondary.

That's a high wire act

10 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

CJ Anderson is not going to be a big factor in the passing game like the Detroit backs unless you are talking about screens. That's the only are I see where damage can be done. Whens the last time CJ Anderson caught 80 balls in a year like Theo Riddick? Whens the last time CJ Anderson ran all the way to the right, stopped on a dime, cut back to the left and outran contain for a 15-20 yard gain like Abdullah did? CJ Anderson does not play ball that way. CJ does have a good feel for seeing a hole and cutting into that hole on stretch runs and toss sweeps. The rest of his game is people bouncing off him for missed tackles because they misjudged his strength and his short stature is a factor as well. Making sound tackles is the main key on CJ. We didn't do well with that last week and I don't expect we will be perfect this week but I do expect much better. we are not going to believe hes the same dual threat like Detroit because hes not.

11 hours ago, krunk said:

CJ Anderson is not going to be a big factor in the passing game like the Detroit backs unless you are talking about screens. That's the only are I see where damage can be done. Whens the last time CJ Anderson caught 80 balls in a year like Theo Riddick? Whens the last time CJ Anderson ran all the way to the right, stopped on a dime, cut back to the left and outran contain for a 15-20 yard gain like Abdullah did? CJ Anderson does not play ball that way. CJ does have a good feel for seeing a hole and cutting into that hole on stretch runs and toss sweeps. The rest of his game is people bouncing off him for missed tackles because they misjudged his strength and his short stature is a factor as well. Making sound tackles is the main key on CJ. We didn't do well with that last week and I don't expect we will be perfect this week but I do expect much better. we are not going to believe hes the same dual threat like Detroit because hes not.

K-man...I think you are simply wrong ..He's run through and over Carolina games 2 games in a row

..Anderson is very hard to stop with one guy in the open field..,,and he can just bounce off guys

CJ is a different player....than Riddick and Abdullah..but he;s a much stronger runner.

I worry about us tackling him.....because few do well at that

But you need to see proof...and you will Sunday..

The bottom line is...if we don't get some defensive backs into the lineup, we'll need 35 points again

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:23 PM, krunk said:

I don't think that would be as effective against us.  They could do that to the Panthers because they didn't have any real speed or playmakers on that offense.  Corey Brown and Ginn maybe, but they are in no way TY, Dorsett, and Moncrief..  Especially not with all these deep crossers, pick routes and everything else we do.  We had all kind of one on one match ups we exploited against Detroit.

The Panthers have no real speed or playmakers.

You watch a different game than I do