Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cjrulli

Pass protection was great!

Recommended Posts

We lost but I think our pass protection was great all game, against an incredibly talented d-line as well. Some hurries and a little unsteady to start the game but when things got settled Andrew was shredding Lions defense. I look forward to seeing that more often! Our defense will absolutely get better as we get healthier (hopefully), but it was nice to actually see our offense thrive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First couple drives were rough. Castanzo and Reitz both got beat in the 1st two drives. As the game went on the protection improved drastically. The biggest surprise to me was Good. He was fantastic in pass pro against Ngata. I am looking forward to watching him develop at guard beside Kelly. All in all I think the interior line was the best part of the protection today. The team will definitely have to jell as a unit to make it easier for them to pick up stunts and twists which was problematic at times today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

First couple drives were rough. Castanzo and Reitz both got beat in the 1st two drives. As the game went on the protection improved drastically. The biggest surprise to me was Good. He was fantastic in pass pro against Ngata. I am looking forward to watching him develop at guard beside Kelly. All in all I think the interior line was the best part of the protection today. The team will definitely have to jell as a unit to make it easier for them to pick up stunts and twists which was problematic at times today.

Good looked great, especially against Ngata, but he's gotta work on screens. He was giving them away before the play started to develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shive said:

Good looked great, especially against Ngata, but he's gotta work on screens. He was giving them away before the play started to develop.

Completely agree. There are definitely things he could improve on, but for his first game he looked great. His anchor against big powerful interior pass rushers is great. Hopefully he can build on this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the offense! That was one of the better Ds in the league. Gotta get healthy on D before we can go anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our O-Line is going to be good. I liked what I saw as the game went along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I love the offense! That was one of the better Ds in the league. Gotta get healthy on D before we can go anywhere.

 

We were about an injury away from playing a WR at CB. LOL

 

We might as well laugh about it. I believe we will be better for this down the road. We should eventually get everyone back, and then we will have experience with our depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

 

We were about an injury away from playing a WR at CB. LOL

 

We might as well laugh about it. I believe we will be better for this down the road. We should eventually get everyone back, and then we will have experience with our depth.

Even though it was a loss I still feel encouraged. Very happy we scored a bunch of points. Line blocked well. Everything else is health related in a major way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm worried though because Robinson and Green never came back. On the bright side I thought Cromartie looked like his old self out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be curious to see the amount of blitzes they threw at us. I felt they did a lot 3 and 4 man rushes.....and we got to get the penalties under control. 

 

There is a lot to complain about with this game, but OL was surprisingly far down the list, and Im an OL hater. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the fact that we trailed almost all day....much of the game by 7-10, so our run attack didn't have to be honored in any way...

..the line was very good..

 

I'll without further judgement until we finish the game with our next opponent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this, with this do-it-all pass attack, the Colts should be fun to watch this season. They may not win every game, but at least the O will keep things exciting. Last season they looked downright unwatchable sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cjrulli said:

We lost but I think our pass protection was great all game, against an incredibly talented d-line as well. Some hurries and a little unsteady to start the game but when things got settled Andrew was shredding Lions defense. I look forward to seeing that more often! Our defense will absolutely get better as we get healthier (hopefully), but it was nice to actually see our offense thrive. 

The Oline looked better and better as the game went on....sorry for the optimistic post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to wait till the All 22 is out and PFF Grades before I comment about the O Line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In every game there will be a few breakdowns, but the pass protection was as good as any game in the past 5 years, IMO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Going to wait till the All 22 is out and PFF Grades before I comment about the O Line

Hopefully one of the colts linemen will win PFF'S Andy Levitre blocker of the week award.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shive said:

Good looked great, especially against Ngata, but he's gotta work on screens. He was giving them away before the play started to develop.

 

3 hours ago, SDakColts said:

Completely agree. There are definitely things he could improve on, but for his first game he looked great. His anchor against big powerful interior pass rushers is great. Hopefully he can build on this game.

 

I don't, I think Good did fine on those screen plays. I think Ngata is a ridiculously savvy veteran who has spent the last decade sniffing out screen plays. I didn't think Good gave anything away, and I felt like Johnston was nitpicking rather than just giving Ngata credit for being great at what he does.

 

Of course, I've spent the last three years wondering why the Colts struggled to even get screen plays off, much less produce yardage with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always felt that a competent OL can get pass protection figured out more quickly than run blocking, which takes more chemistry. Not surprising that the protection is a couple steps ahead of the run blocking right now. 

 

Let's see if they can hold up against the Broncos...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping we continue to protect well against Denver. I'm a little concerned though because of all the moving parts in their blitzes. It's a bit different than how the Lions defend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We won't get our TEs much room vs the Broncos, Wade Philips' Ds defend TEs better than WRs. We have to hope Talib takes on T.Y. every once in a while and T.Y. is the type of wide out that gives Talib fits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The line as whole played well.  While Gore didn't have the yards he was effective most of the time they wanted to run.  Then even picked up a couple of third and ones running the ball.  The line is clearly improved over last year and I think will only keep getting better the more they play together.  So while people sit and go same old Colts, nothing changed from years past the oline has.  That also happens to be the area they sunk the vast majority of their resources into this off-season and rightfully so.  The problem is they have so many problems it was impossible to fix everything this off-season.  I keep comparing this year to 2002.  They had some success at the start of Manning's career and then came back to earth in 2001.  They started to turn things around 2002 but still needed more parts.  We all know what followed 2002.  I know it's not popular but maybe patience is required this year and it's okay to celebrate the positives along the way like maybe the oline finally being fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Through the entire first half on DVR now and I noticed a couple issues right off the bat but a couple positives:

 

 

1.As expected our Linebackers were going to have some coverage problems. Particularly Mcnary, Morrison and Jackson.

 

2.The first sack given up was by Reitz and the 2nd sack was by Gore

 

3.Despite those two sacks Luck was kept clean for the most part

 

4. I would have liked to have saw Ferguson be more of a focal point in the passing game and Turbin get more than 3 total touches.  Turbin in particular should be getting more snaps. He has to improve pass blocking however other then that he can be an explosive dynamic Back that brings size and is shifty and can carry the pile and get something out of nothing. I really like his running style and think he can be a weapon used more 

 

5.Defense only got there hands in on 3 passes defensed. That has to change

 

6.I would have liked to have seen another deep shot to Moncrief lined up on Lawson

 

On to the 2nd half, Cant wait for All 22 to come out

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can just get this patchwork D to play 50 percent better than what we showed against Detroit I think we can sneak out with a win against Denver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Karate Kid on Starz Classic channel. Ill continue with my breakdown after the movie. I will however add my DVR did not record the last couple minutes of the game so can not speak on how it ended

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also our Corners played overall better than expected minus a 32 yard pass given up by Robinson but as I have said I expect that to be a recurring theme throughout the year until Davis is back and Robinson is hopefully moved to the slot. He struggled some. Cromartie as expected if healthy will fill in nicely as a #2 . He played very well. Rashaan Melvin played well in coverage to but struggled a bit against the run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Also our Corners played overall better than expected minus a 32 yard pass given up by Robinson but as I have said I expect that to be a recurring theme throughout the year until Davis is back and Robinson is hopefully moved to the slot. He struggled some. Cromartie as expected if healthy will fill in nicely as a #2 . He played very well. Rashaan Melvin played well in coverage to but struggled a bit against the run

I agree, overall they did a good job of covering (minus a few hiccups) but that's expected playing so deep into the bench. But the problem the whole game was covering backs out of the backfield and screens. They did more damage than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Shive said:

Good looked great, especially against Ngata, but he's gotta work on screens. He was giving them away before the play started to develop.

Generally speaking, the Colts are one of the worst teams at executing screens.

 

i was generally pleased at the OL play, though.   Hopeful for them to grow and get better.

 

i can't help but wonder, though, if ultimately Costonzo ends up being RT.   His weakness is speed rushers, which was my reservation about him after watching him at the Senior Bowl week during his draft year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I agree, overall they did a good job of covering (minus a few hiccups) but that's expected playing so deep into the bench. But the problem the whole game was covering backs out of the backfield and screens. They did more damage than anything.

"But the problem the whole game was covering backs out of the backfield and screens. They did more damage than anything."

 

Linebacker problem. Slow to read so slow to react

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gavin said:

"But the problem the whole game was covering backs out of the backfield and screens. They did more damage than anything."

 

Linebacker problem. Slow to read so slow to react

yep bad combo...though luckily most backs aren't as quick and elusive as Riddick and Abdullah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked what I saw from the o-line. The few times Luck ran, he slid.  Both of those are good signs.  The offense was really clicking from about the 2 minute mark of the second quarter.  The defense just couldn't stop anybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I liked what I saw from the o-line. The few times Luck ran, he slid.  Both of those are good signs.  The offense was really clicking from about the 2 minute mark of the second quarter.  The defense just couldn't stop anybody.

By the way what was up with that no call?  The ref said it was because the hit wasn't viscous enough.  I might be wrong but that's not the rule, you can't hit the QB if he's giving himself up period.  I don't think it ended up mattering in terms of the drive but I don't want to see Andrew taking shots he doesn't need to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

By the way what was up with that no call?  The ref said it was because the hit wasn't viscous enough.  I might be wrong but that's not the rule, you can't hit the QB if he's giving himself up period.  I don't think it ended up mattering in terms of the drive but I don't want to see Andrew taking shots he doesn't need to take.

I'll tell you, in fast motion, game speed it looked like a personal foul, on the replay it did honestly look pretty weak lol.  My thing is, if you throw the flag, why pick it back up?  I will say the Colts got screwed on the clear passing interference no call on Dorsett that would have put them at the 25.  There were 3 officials in that area and no one threw a flag, I was sitting close to where that happened, I thought it should have been called.  On the flip side, when Levy got that unsportsmanlike  penalty it was going to be 4th down for the Colts but instead they got 15 yards which put them dang near in the red zone and a new set of downs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I'll tell you, in fast motion, game speed it looked like a personal foul, on the replay it did honestly look pretty weak lol.  My thing is, if you throw the flag, why pick it back up?  I will say the Colts got screwed on the clear passing interference no call on Dorsett that would have put them at the 25.  There were 3 officials in that area and no one threw a flag, I was close to where that happened, I thought it should have been called.  On the flip side, when Levy got that unsportsmanlike  penalty it was going to be 4th down for the Colts but instead they got 15 yards which put then dang near in the red zone and a new set of downs. 

Yeah, all three were fouls. I am sure they missed some on the Colts too but the hit on Luck bothered me because weak or not you can't hit the QB like that when they give themselves up, again not so much because it impacted the game, it didn't really, but more so because of principal of the rule which is to protect QBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah, all three were fouls. I am sure they missed some on the Colts too but the hit on Luck bothered me because weak or not you can't hit the QB like that when they give themselves up, again not so much because it impacted the game, it didn't really, but more so because of principal of the rule which is to protect QBs.

I agree.  It's funny because as soon as the lady next to me spotted out Ed Hochuli, she's like oh he hates the Colts, we're in for a long game. I blew it off because I've never realized that but the officiating wasn't good.  It's not what lost us the game, it didn't help though.  The defense has got to play better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

By the way what was up with that no call?  The ref said it was because the hit wasn't viscous enough.  I might be wrong but that's not the rule, you can't hit the QB if he's giving himself up period.  I don't think it ended up mattering in terms of the drive but I don't want to see Andrew taking shots he doesn't need to take.

It was because the defender started to go down before Luck started to slide because of that there was nothing the defender could do... laws of physics and all.

 

And I will say the defender did everything he could to adjust his body and hit Luck as lightly as possible.  I had not problem with the no call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I'm more certain than not it is a final decision.  He might help run the XFL...  but wants lots of wife/baby time too while healing up.  Then not get hurt anymore.     Like many of his previous injuries, apparently not healing as projected, still in pain, still injury prone.     Bingo, and way back I predicted we would know the scoop right after the 3rd game depending upon Colts actions.  I expected he would tough it out and go at 85%, or not play until he was 100%. I never expected retirement, and it turns out it was a leak that caused Luck to make an impromptu retirement presser.
    • Eli’s contract  though would be huge.
    • Hopefully  Campbell's hamstring  is ready to go soon
    • The Colts organization makes millions because people are passionate. Passion pushes people of all incomes to buy cable packages, buy tickets, etc.. Passion also pushes folks to cheer and boo. Both are part of the game. Both are part of the business.   I think it was Superman that said earlier that had he been there, he's not sure what he would have done, but he would have regretted booing the next day. I'm in the same boat as I think many fans are.   At the end of the day, the timing and the way it came out stunk. Fans were already suspicious due to the way the shoulder situation and communication were handled previously.   As far as 4 years of pain/rehab go, there are a lot of players that go through the same. Many get paid a lot less than Andrew. My cousin's husband went to lesser D1 school and had all kinds of injuries, but was a stud regardless. He got signed as a UDFA and bounced around to multiple teams for several years and battled injuries and rehab through most of it. He'd be more than happy to go through more just to make a roster. Point being, some have a greater desire and tolerance than others.    Every player has a different background and has their own experiences. It's natural I think for fans to compare Luck to others and question things. I wish Andrew all the best. That said, I've moved on and more concerned with how we put things back together.
    • I strained my calf today. Think l pull a Luck, check out and go on disability.  
  • Members

    • The Peytonator

      The Peytonator 2,558

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 5,354

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Irish YJ

      Irish YJ 1,100

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheMiz

      TheMiz 52

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheBlueAndWhite

      TheBlueAndWhite 95

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Lucky Colts Fan

      Lucky Colts Fan 4,945

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chloe6124

      Chloe6124 3,108

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • joeb

      joeb 35

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • KB

      KB 389

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Breeze

      Breeze 44

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...