Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass protection was great!

cjwhiskers

We lost but I think our pass protection was great all game, against an incredibly talented d-line as well. Some hurries and a little unsteady to start the game but when things got settled Andrew was shredding Lions defense. I look forward to seeing that more often! Our defense will absolutely get better as we get healthier (hopefully), but it was nice to actually see our offense thrive. 

First couple drives were rough. Castanzo and Reitz both got beat in the 1st two drives. As the game went on the protection improved drastically. The biggest surprise to me was Good. He was fantastic in pass pro against Ngata. I am looking forward to watching him develop at guard beside Kelly. All in all I think the interior line was the best part of the protection today. The team will definitely have to jell as a unit to make it easier for them to pick up stunts and twists which was problematic at times today.

5 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

First couple drives were rough. Castanzo and Reitz both got beat in the 1st two drives. As the game went on the protection improved drastically. The biggest surprise to me was Good. He was fantastic in pass pro against Ngata. I am looking forward to watching him develop at guard beside Kelly. All in all I think the interior line was the best part of the protection today. The team will definitely have to jell as a unit to make it easier for them to pick up stunts and twists which was problematic at times today.

Good looked great, especially against Ngata, but he's gotta work on screens. He was giving them away before the play started to develop.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Good looked great, especially against Ngata, but he's gotta work on screens. He was giving them away before the play started to develop.

Completely agree. There are definitely things he could improve on, but for his first game he looked great. His anchor against big powerful interior pass rushers is great. Hopefully he can build on this game.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I love the offense! That was one of the better Ds in the league. Gotta get healthy on D before we can go anywhere.

We were about an injury away from playing a WR at CB. LOL

We might as well laugh about it. I believe we will be better for this down the road. We should eventually get everyone back, and then we will have experience with our depth.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

We were about an injury away from playing a WR at CB. LOL

We might as well laugh about it. I believe we will be better for this down the road. We should eventually get everyone back, and then we will have experience with our depth.

Even though it was a loss I still feel encouraged. Very happy we scored a bunch of points. Line blocked well. Everything else is health related in a major way.

I'd be curious to see the amount of blitzes they threw at us. I felt they did a lot 3 and 4 man rushes.....and we got to get the penalties under control. 

There is a lot to complain about with this game, but OL was surprisingly far down the list, and Im an OL hater. 

1 hour ago, cjrulli said:

We lost but I think our pass protection was great all game, against an incredibly talented d-line as well. Some hurries and a little unsteady to start the game but when things got settled Andrew was shredding Lions defense. I look forward to seeing that more often! Our defense will absolutely get better as we get healthier (hopefully), but it was nice to actually see our offense thrive. 

The Oline looked better and better as the game went on....sorry for the optimistic post.

3 hours ago, Shive said:

3 hours ago, SDakColts said:

Completely agree. There are definitely things he could improve on, but for his first game he looked great. His anchor against big powerful interior pass rushers is great. Hopefully he can build on this game.

I don't, I think Good did fine on those screen plays. I think Ngata is a ridiculously savvy veteran who has spent the last decade sniffing out screen plays. I didn't think Good gave anything away, and I felt like Johnston was nitpicking rather than just giving Ngata credit for being great at what he does.

Of course, I've spent the last three years wondering why the Colts struggled to even get screen plays off, much less produce yardage with them.

I've always felt that a competent OL can get pass protection figured out more quickly than run blocking, which takes more chemistry. Not surprising that the protection is a couple steps ahead of the run blocking right now. 

Let's see if they can hold up against the Broncos...

The line as whole played well.  While Gore didn't have the yards he was effective most of the time they wanted to run.  Then even picked up a couple of third and ones running the ball.  The line is clearly improved over last year and I think will only keep getting better the more they play together.  So while people sit and go same old Colts, nothing changed from years past the oline has.  That also happens to be the area they sunk the vast majority of their resources into this off-season and rightfully so.  The problem is they have so many problems it was impossible to fix everything this off-season.  I keep comparing this year to 2002.  They had some success at the start of Manning's career and then came back to earth in 2001.  They started to turn things around 2002 but still needed more parts.  We all know what followed 2002.  I know it's not popular but maybe patience is required this year and it's okay to celebrate the positives along the way like maybe the oline finally being fixed.

Through the entire first half on DVR now and I noticed a couple issues right off the bat but a couple positives:

1.As expected our Linebackers were going to have some coverage problems. Particularly Mcnary, Morrison and Jackson.

2.The first sack given up was by Reitz and the 2nd sack was by Gore

3.Despite those two sacks Luck was kept clean for the most part

4. I would have liked to have saw Ferguson be more of a focal point in the passing game and Turbin get more than 3 total touches.  Turbin in particular should be getting more snaps. He has to improve pass blocking however other then that he can be an explosive dynamic Back that brings size and is shifty and can carry the pile and get something out of nothing. I really like his running style and think he can be a weapon used more 

5.Defense only got there hands in on 3 passes defensed. That has to change

6.I would have liked to have seen another deep shot to Moncrief lined up on Lawson

On to the 2nd half, Cant wait for All 22 to come out

Also our Corners played overall better than expected minus a 32 yard pass given up by Robinson but as I have said I expect that to be a recurring theme throughout the year until Davis is back and Robinson is hopefully moved to the slot. He struggled some. Cromartie as expected if healthy will fill in nicely as a #2 . He played very well. Rashaan Melvin played well in coverage to but struggled a bit against the run

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Also our Corners played overall better than expected minus a 32 yard pass given up by Robinson but as I have said I expect that to be a recurring theme throughout the year until Davis is back and Robinson is hopefully moved to the slot. He struggled some. Cromartie as expected if healthy will fill in nicely as a #2 . He played very well. Rashaan Melvin played well in coverage to but struggled a bit against the run

I agree, overall they did a good job of covering (minus a few hiccups) but that's expected playing so deep into the bench. But the problem the whole game was covering backs out of the backfield and screens. They did more damage than anything.

13 hours ago, Shive said:

Generally speaking, the Colts are one of the worst teams at executing screens.

i was generally pleased at the OL play, though.   Hopeful for them to grow and get better.

i can't help but wonder, though, if ultimately Costonzo ends up being RT.   His weakness is speed rushers, which was my reservation about him after watching him at the Senior Bowl week during his draft year.

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I agree, overall they did a good job of covering (minus a few hiccups) but that's expected playing so deep into the bench. But the problem the whole game was covering backs out of the backfield and screens. They did more damage than anything.

"But the problem the whole game was covering backs out of the backfield and screens. They did more damage than anything."

Linebacker problem. Slow to read so slow to react

2 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I liked what I saw from the o-line. The few times Luck ran, he slid.  Both of those are good signs.  The offense was really clicking from about the 2 minute mark of the second quarter.  The defense just couldn't stop anybody.

By the way what was up with that no call?  The ref said it was because the hit wasn't viscous enough.  I might be wrong but that's not the rule, you can't hit the QB if he's giving himself up period.  I don't think it ended up mattering in terms of the drive but I don't want to see Andrew taking shots he doesn't need to take.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

By the way what was up with that no call?  The ref said it was because the hit wasn't viscous enough.  I might be wrong but that's not the rule, you can't hit the QB if he's giving himself up period.  I don't think it ended up mattering in terms of the drive but I don't want to see Andrew taking shots he doesn't need to take.

I'll tell you, in fast motion, game speed it looked like a personal foul, on the replay it did honestly look pretty weak lol.  My thing is, if you throw the flag, why pick it back up?  I will say the Colts got screwed on the clear passing interference no call on Dorsett that would have put them at the 25.  There were 3 officials in that area and no one threw a flag, I was sitting close to where that happened, I thought it should have been called.  On the flip side, when Levy got that unsportsmanlike  penalty it was going to be 4th down for the Colts but instead they got 15 yards which put them dang near in the red zone and a new set of downs. 

1 minute ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I'll tell you, in fast motion, game speed it looked like a personal foul, on the replay it did honestly look pretty weak lol.  My thing is, if you throw the flag, why pick it back up?  I will say the Colts got screwed on the clear passing interference no call on Dorsett that would have put them at the 25.  There were 3 officials in that area and no one threw a flag, I was close to where that happened, I thought it should have been called.  On the flip side, when Levy got that unsportsmanlike  penalty it was going to be 4th down for the Colts but instead they got 15 yards which put then dang near in the red zone and a new set of downs. 

Yeah, all three were fouls. I am sure they missed some on the Colts too but the hit on Luck bothered me because weak or not you can't hit the QB like that when they give themselves up, again not so much because it impacted the game, it didn't really, but more so because of principal of the rule which is to protect QBs.

25 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah, all three were fouls. I am sure they missed some on the Colts too but the hit on Luck bothered me because weak or not you can't hit the QB like that when they give themselves up, again not so much because it impacted the game, it didn't really, but more so because of principal of the rule which is to protect QBs.

I agree.  It's funny because as soon as the lady next to me spotted out Ed Hochuli, she's like oh he hates the Colts, we're in for a long game. I blew it off because I've never realized that but the officiating wasn't good.  It's not what lost us the game, it didn't help though.  The defense has got to play better. 

43 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It was because the defender started to go down before Luck started to slide because of that there was nothing the defender could do... laws of physics and all.

And I will say the defender did everything he could to adjust his body and hit Luck as lightly as possible.  I had not problem with the no call.