Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That last time out (Pagano Clock Management)... {[Merge]}

threeflight

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I might be in the minority here, but I don't hate taking the timeout.  The clock is running and I think it was 3rd down.  You take the time out to regroup and make sure everyone is on the same page.  If there is even one mistake, it's 4th down with even less time on the clock.  It just gives you some breathing room.  Not the worst decision of the day, in my opinion

I completely agree. You can't squander that down. We scored faster than I had hoped. But I can see the urgency. 

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I might be in the minority here, but I don't hate taking the timeout.  The clock is running and I think it was 3rd down.  You take the time out to regroup and make sure everyone is on the same page.  If there is even one mistake, it's 4th down with even less time on the clock.  It just gives you some breathing room.  Not the worst decision of the day, in my opinion

Take it with no time on the playclock then. The dude is clueless. 

Just now, our_dbs_rock said:

Um, the colts are inside the 10 about to score and possibly go up by 1 with little time left if they would have manage the clock.

Scoring the td was no guarentee.   The lions aren't going to stop the clock and let the offense talk it over

3 minutes ago, Solon said:

The defense allowed the Lions to go 60 yards downfield to win the game. Has nothing to do with Chuck's management.

Pagano knew about the crappy D. After all, he's supposedly the HC and a defensive minded one so he should know about the lack of an Indy D.

The mistake was on Pagano regardless of whether the Colts have a good D or not. The Colts had to let the playclokc run out before calling a TO instead of calling it with 1:15 left. This would've either meant 2 things:

-Lions are forced to call a TO

-Colts simply take 35 ish seconds off

Next play, if the clokc is still running after the play, you do the same thing. Thats what you call clock management.

The timeout was very questionable, but the bigger gaffe was kicking through the end zone on the kickoff.   You HAVE to short kick it there!   Your cover team is on a short field for quick coverage and it takes precious seconds off the clock.   THAT was the bigger gaffe.  :-(

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would the opponent call a timeout when they have a 6 point lead

Because the Colts were so far down the field, time for them didn't matter. They were either going to score or not.  Where as the Lions needed the time in case the Colts did score.  If the Colts didn't, the game was over anyway.

1 minute ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I completely agree. You can't squander that down. We scored faster than I had hoped. But I can see the urgency. 

Exactly.  It's no guarantee when you score, if at all.  The important thing was to make sure we did score.  If we didn't score, the amount of time left on the clock wouldn't even be a point of discussion

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Literally nothing comparable in those two situations.   The rage should be against the defense.   I know we're depleted in the secondary,   But damn

Its called clock management.

Pagano is as bad as Caldwell is in that department.

I just posted the same thing and was telling my wife the same thing about the kickoff.   Hell I thought we should have at least kicked it straight up in the air and have them fair catch or try and make a play.  I still don't understand why he called that TO so soon!!   Hell Detroit might have called one but why in the hell would we want to help them out and call one so quick??!! 

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

The timeout was very questionable, but the bigger gaffe was kicking through the end zone on the kickoff.   You HAVE to short kick it there!   Your cover team is on a short field for quick coverage and it takes precious seconds off the clock.   THAT was the bigger gaffe.  :-(

That's what I have the biggest problem with. 

3 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

You can call the timeout if you want to collect yourself and call a good play.  You just do it after running the play and game clock down.  Not after 2 seconds.

I would pull out my old posts where I said after this loss no matter what happened everybody would be calling for Pagano's head but I won't do that. One decision should not cost someone his job especially when half his defense is injured. I wouldn't have called the timeout but you can't blame the guy for trying to ensure the touchdown.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

It was 2nd down.

Well technically it was 2nd and 10, from the 12.  With getting a first down the colts could of ran an additional 7 more plays before scoring.  So leaving time to do that and to throw I

n middle of field to get first opens up the play book. Also if the did get a first down inside the 2   you would like time on the clock to use all four downs

No sense leaving downs on the board when clock reads 0:00

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

Because the Colts were so far down the field, time for them didn't matter. They were either going to score or not.  Where as the Lions needed the time in case the Colts did score.  If the Colts didn't, the game was over anyway.

The lions aren't going to use a timeout in that situation.  Although,  it was caldwell,   maybe he would have

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Not running the playclock out before calling that TO cost about 35 secs on the clock. The kickoff in the endzone, while it was indeed a mistake, especially considering you have 1 of the best in the league in McAfee, cost less time on the clock.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

guess im one of the few that thinks the TO wasnt a big deal. 

they probably needed that to get the offense together one more time

we could have left like 10 seconds on the clock and they still would have gone 50 yards and kicked the FG

How does no one realize you could have called the timeout after running 30 seconds off the clock?  

Hello?  If you want the timeout to think of a play fine.  Just run 30 seconds off the clock first.

This isn't rocket surgery..

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

How does no one realize you could have called the timeout after running 30 seconds off the clock?  

Hello?  If you want the timeout to think of a play fine.  Just run 30 seconds off the clock first.

This isn't rocket surgery..

you dont want to do that.  there is no guarantee that you are going to be able to score at the last second.  its not like it was fourth down

2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I would pull out my old posts where I said after this loss no matter what happened everybody would be calling for Pagano's head but I won't do that. One decision should not cost someone his job especially when half his defense is injured. I wouldn't have called the timeout but you can't blame the guy for trying to ensure the touchdown.

Again...CALL THE TIME OUT AFTER RUNNING OFF 30 SECONDS.   NOT 2.

HOW DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THIS?

14 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

But, Lions would have been forced to call a TO had Colts started to run the clock and make it near the end zone. 

I'm not even that mad at the time out and mismanagement of the clock.

The fact of the matter is we didn't deserve to win that game.

I'm more concerned with how this team played in the 1st half. We looked like a sure fire lock for the #1 overall pick in next years draft until that final drive of the 2nd quarter. The defense let this game get out of hand with * poor tacking, and horrible coverage, and the offense sputtered before it kicked into high gear, something called too little too late.

If this is what we can expect from the defense this season then we are in some serious trouble. I'm thinking 4 wins is the ceiling.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

you dont want to do that.  there is no guarantee that you are going to be able to score at the last second

There would have still been 45 seconds left on the clock. 

If you can't score with 45 seconds on the clock from the 12.....then you don't deserve to win.

Just now, threeflight said:

Again...CALL THE TIME OUT AFTER RUNNING OFF 30 SECONDS.   NOT 2.

HOW DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THIS?

I freaking understand but it's not like it was an automatic touchdown. Chuck's probably kicking himself but firing him isn't going to make anything better.

1 minute ago, MTC said:

But, Lions would have been forced to call a TO had Colts started to run the clock and make it near the end zone. 

If I understand your comment correctly, not necessarily.  We needed a TD, so the Lions could have just left the clock running.  There's no guarantee we score.  They could also have done what the Pats did in Super Bowl 46 where they let the Colts score so they get the ball back with more time on the clock

Just now, threeflight said:

There would have still been 45 seconds left on the clock. 

If you can't score with 45 seconds on the clock from the 12.....then you don't deserve to win.

we didnt deserve to win

we can just agree to disagree about the TO

3 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Well, he sure got out coached by Jim Caldwell if that tells you anything, lol................

Honestly, he wasnt. Lions are in trouble regardless because they are a bad team.

Today, Pagano only has himself to blame. The other HC was just watching. Caldwell, considering his history for bad clock management, probably still has no idea of what happened ;)