Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

national anthem

teresa0955

16 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Well, you can try that, I guess, but it's their right to do it.

Whether we agree or not...they have a right to do it.

Actaully I think the owner can tell his players that they cannot do that.    They are being paid and this is part of the game.

What happens if someone in the military decided they want to side with Kap     and refuse to salute the flag?

5 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Actaully I think the owner can tell his players that they cannot do that.    They are being paid and this is part of the game.

What happens if someone in the military decided they want to side with Kap     and refuse to salute the flag?

Their pay has nothing to do with what they believe in jim can say whatever he wants but he can't stop a player from doing it the only thing they can do is bench a player or cut them

It's anyone's right to not to stand for the National Anthem, I get that. I ask what is the purpose for doing it though? It doesn't change anything for the individual doing so, it makes the individual look like he/she doesn't like the USA, and all it does is bring negative attention to that person that does so. I don't get the whole thing. I know when I was kid, if I dissed the National Anthem while playing my parents would've switched my rear end until I couldn't sit!

2 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Their pay has nothing to do with what they believe in jim can say whatever he wants but he can't stop a player from doing it the only thing they can do is bench a player or cut them

Actually this was discussed by the talking heads and the owner can make the players stand or they leave the field if they dont want to stand.

13 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Different set of rules

18 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Actually,  I don't think that's true.    The NFLPA has negotiated on this, and it's the players right to stand, or not.   They can not be told what to do.

Now, I think an owner can cut a player if he wants over this issue....     but that's another issue altogether....

I better not see any players sitting. I understand that it's their right, but damnitt, respect the flag!!!! That flag represents the people who fought to give you the right to do so. As a 19 yo man who is currently going through the process of joining the Air Force, I find it highly disrespectful that sot on their butts. And really, what does them sitting prove? Oooo look at me, I hate America. If they don't like it, try going to another country and disrespecting their flag. You'll get your butt thrown in prison at best

6 minutes ago, Colts rock said:

I better not see any players sitting. I understand that it's their right, but damnitt, respect the flag!!!! That flag represents the people who fought to give you the right to do so. As a 19 yo man who is currently going through the process of joining the Air Force, I find it highly disrespectful that sot on their butts. And really, what does them sitting prove? Oooo look at me, I hate America. If they don't like it, try going to another country and disrespecting their flag. You'll get your butt thrown in prison at best

In what civilised country do you think you'll be thrown in prison for not standing during the national anthem?

Well not necessarily prison. Sorry was just ranting. What I really mean is try finding a country that will give such freedoms as ours. We stand to show support to those that fought an died to protect our rights to honor; or unfortunately, disrespect our country. Do they even know why they are sitting/kneeling? I mean come on. What do they think they are really gaining?

4 minutes ago, Colts rock said:

Why not?? They get paid by Americans, why not stand and respect the people that have you the right to play?

I was one of those people that gave you that right,   I just dont see why it is played at sporting events.   Why sporting events?

Just now, Coltfreak said:

Why?

I mean that in a good way since most will disagree with you. Personally I think the outrage over this stuff lately is stupid. Sit, kneel, squat, stand........lie down......I don't care anymore what people do during the national anthem.

Just now, Coltfreak said:

I was one of those people that gave you that right,   I just dont see why it is played at sporting events.   Why sporting events?

Thank you for your service. Sincerely. I don't know why it's played at sporting events. As far as I know, it always has.

1 minute ago, twfish said:

Yup in before lock. I think I'll always resent kaep for starting this, not to disagree with someone's right but I beleive he's just doing it for attention. But that's just my honest opinion 

He should protest the wages of poor black families by refusing to cash his checks every week

I love when people tell other people what something should represent to them. Newsflash: we don't all experience life the same. It's a simple peaceful protest that people are losing their minds over. I imagine the flag, national anthem, and America in general represent something different to an African American born and raised in a project who has seen friends or family attacked or killed for something they were given no choice over, (the color of their skin) than it does to me. Who the hell is anyone to tell another person what something should represent to that person? Asinine. 

1 minute ago, CheezyColt said:

I love when people tell other people what something should represent to them. Newsflash: we don't all experience life the same. It's a simple peaceful protest that people are losing their minds over. I imagine the flag, national anthem, and America in general represent something different to an African American born and raised in a project who has seen friends or family attacked or killed for something they were given no choice over, (the color of their skin) than it does to me. Who the hell is anyone to tell another person what something should represent to that person. Asinine. 

Well America didn't do this to them, people did. The flag is supposed to represent us as a nation; a whole. Isn't what they want anyway? Dividing isn't doing anything but making more problems

4 minutes ago, Colts rock said:

Well America didn't do this to them, people did. The flag is supposed to represent us as a nation; a whole. Isn't what they want anyway? Dividing isn't doing anything but making more problems

That seems like flawed thinking to me. You can't claim all the good this country has to offer and credit America, and then turn around and say the negative has nothing to do with America.

There are issues in this country with race relations. I think that's obvious. You say there's got to be a better way. In the past there have been city wide riots and even more recently the tragedy in Dallas. These guys are protesting PEACEFULLY whIle drawing attention and getting the entire country talking about it. Kap has said he will donate at least a million dollars I believe, as well as all his proceeds from his jersey sales. The 49ers has also pledged another million dollars. So the argument that they should spend money or at least find another way doesn't hold up. People keep saying they don't agree with the method.... but every time the protesters go ahead and do what the people who are upset say they should do, they bring up another problem they have with the method.

It's becoming more and more clear that the method isn't what most of these people actually have the issue with...

I compare this to when an actor/musician becomes political.  Once that happens I stop watching their movies/buying their music.  In this case, stop talking about them, buying their jerseys, etc.

The NFL is an escape for most people from the crap of the world.  When they bring it into the game it ruins it.

There are so many other ways to bring attention/offer solutions to it then to pick something like the national anthem which has absolutely nothing to do with their beef.  

19 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I love when people tell other people what something should represent to them. Newsflash: we don't all experience life the same. It's a simple peaceful protest that people are losing their minds over. I imagine the flag, national anthem, and America in general represent something different to an African American born and raised in a project who has seen friends or family attacked or killed for something they were given no choice over, (the color of their skin) than it does to me. Who the hell is anyone to tell another person what something should represent to that person? Asinine. 

By one player doing it, he is reflecting his opinion as being acceptable and of the Team, the Owner, and the Management to the audience. So one player is doing exactly what you just lectured not to do. Sports are Teams. All or none in a common goal.  If he wants to show a protest, take out an ad, write an op-ed, buy a commercial, schedule a TV interview, or anything individually. He may or not mean to be, but he's distracting from the Team Goal of winning games.

I've read his girlfriend/fiance is an organizer for Black Lives Matter.  Women have power over men.....