Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 Prediction thread Lions @ Colts

SilentHill

All I can say is if we can't beat the Lions at home to start the year then it's time to maybe worry? Or just sit back and read all the panic threads lol and enjoy the drama.Ā 

Ā 

IMO I know people say week 1 isn't a must win but with us heading to Denver week 2 and their defense.......I would feel a lot better if we won week 1. lmaoĀ Normally we beat Denver, but sometimes in recent years I think we played even harder or Luck did since he was going against Peyton, like a personal thing etc. Not to mention last year vs. Denver is when Luck got so banged up for the rest of the year.

Ā 

I don't really know what to expect in this one though Sunday. Colts should win at home, but they have been notorious slow starters in recent years and are banged up. So it worries me since every year I have picked us to win week 1. :)Ā 

Ā 

Lions are a weird team to figure out too. Last year they started the year off pretty badly but then gotĀ going in the second half a bit more and nearly sweeped the Packers.

Ā 

I will say we win by 3 points thanks to Adam clutch-ness and to avoid being too negative here,Ā however I am worried since I look at the week 1 games and you know there will be a few upsets. lmaoĀ It's just a matter of picking who will be upset. And I hate to pick the Colts out loud often to be upset. So I am saying Adam saves the day for us this weekend.

Ā 

And I can't get over the fact Jim Caldwell is our week 1 coaching opponent. :)Ā Welcome back Jim!!!

Ā 

1526807_10151799679486008_471152345_n-45

Ā 

Let's look at the comparisons:

Ā 

In Our Favor:

Colts Receivers vs Lions Cornerbacks:

Sure, Darius Slay is an up-and-coming cornerback in the league, but behind him you have names such as Nevin Lawson, Johnson Bademosi, and Quandre Diggs. Not exactly inspiring names for them. On the other hand, we have three receivers that could all arguably be a number one receiver on another team. Slay can't cover them all.

Colts D-line vs Lions O-line

While the Colts D-line is not exactly the best in the league, it is one of the deepest. They don't have a very inspiring O-line as it is, and with our fresh bodies all able to hold their own in the league, it comes down to bodies against bodies. Advantage goes to the side with the most bodies (AKA us).

Ā 

In Their Favor:

Lions D-line vs Colts O-line

ZiggyĀ is a monster. There is simply no way our sorry excuse for Andrew Luck's protection can stop him (sorry for being rough, but it's true). Ngata can swallow up the run game with his massive frame against the interior O-line. Don't be surprised if Luck gets hit more than 10 times in the game.

Ā 

Surprisingly, nothing else really stands out. While it can be argued that their receivers have the edge on our corners, they don't have Megatron to break the game anymore. ThisĀ leavesĀ the game-breaking odds 2-1 in the Colts favor. I'm giving the Colts a 24-17 victory here.

3 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Let's look at the comparisons:

Ā 

In Our Favor:

Colts Receivers vs Lions Cornerbacks:

Sure, Darius Slay is an up-and-coming cornerback in the league, but behind him you have names such as Nevin Lawson, Johnson Bademosi, and Quandre Diggs. Not exactly inspiring names for them. On the other hand, we have three receivers that could all arguably be a number one receiver on another team. Slay can't cover them all.

Colts D-line vs Lions O-line

While the Colts D-line is not exactly the best in the league, it is one of the deepest. They don't have a very inspiring O-line as it is, and with our fresh bodies all able to hold their own in the league, it comes down to bodies against bodies. Advantage goes to the side with the most bodies (AKA us).

Ā 

In Their Favor:

Lions D-line vs Colts O-line

ZiggyĀ is a monster. There is simply no way our sorry excuse for Andrew Luck's protection can stop him (sorry for being rough, but it's true). Ngata can swallow up the run game with his massive frame against the interior O-line. Don't be surprised if Luck gets hit more than 10 times in the game.

Ā 

Surprisingly, nothing else really stands out. While it can be argued that their receivers have the edge on our corners, they don't have Megatron to break the game anymore. ThisĀ leavesĀ the game-breaking odds 2-1 in the Colts favor. I'm giving the Colts a 24-17 victory here.

That's about right, a 7 point win.

For the first time in 5 years under Pagano/Grigson, it would be nice to see the team prepared to start the season. 2-6 the first two weeks with squeaked out home wins over Oakland and Minnesota. History says this game will at best be a nail biting win.

Ā 

Lot's of new coaches though, so maybe things will be different this season and the Colts start the season fast.

On ā€Ž06ā€Ž/ā€Ž09ā€Ž/ā€Ž2016 at 8:03 PM, Jim H. said:

It all depends on Frank Gore.

Ā 

Ā 

I think I'd go as far to say if we had any players rush for a 100 yards in a game we've probably won handsomely.

Ā 

Not to be overlooked too is that Gore is very good in pass protection. A good job too really.

To have any insight into this prediction, we would have to know what type of team we have and nobody here does. We don't know if the oline was practicing new oline schemes through the preseason or was this a line actually playing the best as they can right now. Who is healthy enough to be effective on the line? Who is going to play CB and play it well enough while Davis heals up? Will we have a running game? Does the new defensive scheme that our new dc bring Nsg with him work out right away or will it take 6 games to start becoming fluid?Ā 

Ā 

There me are just too many questions we have about this team with all the key injuries and the entire turnover of assistant coaching spots this last offseason. I'm going to say 23-20 and hope we are on the right side of the score Sunday. I'll be there screaming anyways.Ā 

21 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

To have any insight into this prediction, we would have to know what type of team we have and nobody here does. We don't know if the oline was practicing new oline schemes through the preseason or was this a line actually playing the best as they can right now. Who is healthy enough to be effective on the line? Who is going to play CB and play it well enough while Davis heals up? Will we have a running game? Does the new defensive scheme that our new dc bring Nsg with him work out right away or will it take 6 games to start becoming fluid?Ā 

Ā 

There me are just too many questions we have about this team with all the key injuries and the entire turnover of assistant coaching spots this last offseason. I'm going to say 23-20 and hope we are on the right side of the score Sunday. I'll be there screaming anyways.Ā 

Ā 

Yeah I can't remember a season where we honestly didn't know what to expect heading into the season. There's a ton of question marks. We will know where this team is midway into the 3rd quarter come Sunday.

Ā 

On 9/5/2016 at 4:35 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Yeah I agree. Golden Tate is really the only person even worth worrying about. Yes, we have injuries on defense but the Lions aren't exactly the 2013Ā Broncos offense either.Ā 

Ā 

Possibly. Depends on if Stafford and Jones are on the same page or not. There is also Boldin, Ebron and Riddick to consider. Boldin is solid, but I don't see him being a game-changer. Ebron, jury is still out. Riddick has proven himself quite valuable out of the backfield as a receiver. 80 catches last year for 697 yards, 645 of them after the catch. He doesn't score much, but Stafford leans on him a lot to bail them out of 3rd down situations.

On 9/6/2016 at 0:53 AM, Jules said:

Lions are a weird team to figure out too. Last year they started the year off pretty badly but then gotĀ going in the second half a bit more and nearly sweeped the Packers.

Ā 

A big part of that was the firing of the OC Joe Lombardi. He was let go and that's when Jim Bob Cooter took over. The offense looked completely different after that. The hope for Detroit fans is that with an entire off season to prepare, Cooter (tee hee) will turn the Lions into the potent offense they once were.

My Final prediction: Colts 24-20. I think the game will be close and give us all a little heartburn but in the end I think we take this and being at home will help. If this were in Detroit I would be worried with the injuries we have on Defense, still am a little worried just because anything can happenĀ but this is a game we should win and will win. Colts are a 4 point favorite in Vegas as of now and I can see them winning by that margin. Stafford will throw for quite a few Yards on our SecondaryĀ but I don't see them scoring more than 20 points. I look for Luck to have around 250 Yards passing and a couple of TD's. I think we will surprise some too with 1 Defensive TD.

According to NFL.com (in other words, don't crucify ME if it's wrong cause I haven't researched it):

Ā 

The good: The Lions haven't defeated the Colts since 1997.

The bad: Luck is 1-3 in season openers.

Ā 

We shall see which trend prevails Sunday. Ā I'm betting the former.

11 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Ā 

Damn, just make a prediction. Ā You don't get prison time if you are wrong lol

On 9/5/2016 at 10:47 AM, BOTT said:

38-32 Lions

Ā 

with all the injuries I don't know how the colts stop anyone.

Ā 

Are the injuries really that bad? Davis hurts, but other than him, the Colts will not have Butler (questionable how much of an impact), Anderson (knew that would be the case), and Geathers (questionable how much of an impact). I bet Moore and Langford play. If the D can't hang in with three starters out then the season is a lost cause anyways.Ā 

Ā 

Colts win, 30-27.Ā 

6 hours ago, FACE REALITY said:

we win if we can

1. run the ball

2. stop the run

3.pressure the qb

4. protect luck

in other words we win if our o-line does good and our front seven on defense play well, if these things don't happen we have to face reality and we lose

I see what you did there. It's almost like when they say the name of the movie in the dialogue. More gold like that and you might surpass (name censored) as the supervillian of the forum.Ā 

Ā