Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Sitton available [Merge]

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

And some people think that describes our GM to a T.  No brainer.

I've said it since 2012, you sell out for the O line.  Overpay if you have to.   QBs like Luck are gifts, few in a generation.  You protect that.   Why is that so hard to understand?

Exactly. Any means necessary. It doesn't matter if we have to offer him 10 or 15 million more than every other team. A guy like this you go all in for.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

And some people think that describes our GM to a T.  No brainer.

I've said it since 2012, you sell out for the O line.  Overpay if you have to.   QBs like Luck are gifts, few in a generation.  You protect that.   Why is that so hard to understand?

Wondering why the Packers didn't sell out and overpay?  I mean that's Aaron Rodgers right?

16 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I read somewhere that he is looking to go to a contender?  I don't know if we can make that cut, but if we do then that shortens that 10 team list a bit.  Our O-Line is much better with Sitton, but our corners are still a disaster for the first couple of weeks.

Going to the Bears 1st then the Saints backs that theory up!
  We could be decent at the corners in game one.

41 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I read somewhere that he is looking to go to a contender?  I don't know if we can make that cut, but if we do then that shortens that 10 team list a bit.  Our O-Line is much better with Sitton, but our corners are still a disaster for the first couple of weeks.

He's reportedly visiting the Bears, so that can't be true.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

He's reportedly visiting the Bears, so that can't be true.

31 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Leverage.  He gets big $$ offers from teams he doesn't want to go to then shops himself to the better teams and the biding wars start a lot higher.

...at least that's how I'D do it.  :D

Sounds like that's what he's doing..........I'd make a big offer....

If he has a chance between he Bears and Colts....well..I like the Bears but he;s got to come block for Luck

If history is any guide, they passed on guard Evan Mathis last year when we obviously needed a guard. Mathis went to the Broncos who won the SuperBowl. Andrew Luck was decimated due to poor o-line play. So, there's almost no chance the FO will try and sign Josh Sutton. It appears they don't really like Andrew Luck.

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

If history is any guide, they passed on guard Evan Mathis last year when we obviously needed a guard. Mathis went to the Broncos who won the SuperBowl. Andrew Luck was decimated due to poor o-line play. So, there's almost no chance the FO will try and sign Josh Sutton. It appears they don't really like Andrew Luck.

Right up to the last sentence you sounded like you knew something, then you just had to close with that last sentence and lose all credibility 

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

Did we pass on Mathis or did Mathis just choose a 'better horse' to ride?

12 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Did we pass on Mathis or did Mathis just choose a 'better horse' to ride?

Mathis just sit there in free agency limbo for a long time. Months i think. Weeks anyway. Anybody could have signed him. It literally made no sense as we reportedly didn't even have a bit of interest.

57 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Mathis just sit there in free agency limbo for a long time. Months i think. Weeks anyway. Anybody could have signed him. It literally made no sense as we reportedly didn't even have a bit of interest.

^^This

Evan Mathis wasn't ever going to be a long term solution. 1 - 2 years. But I don't understand not talking with him, which from what I hear, we didn't.

enough about this guy already...

Sitton stays in NFC North, signs with Bears

Bears signed OG Josh Sitton, formerly of the Packers, to a three-year contract.

Predictably for a player coming off a Pro Bowl year, Sitton did not have to wait long to find a new home. Sitton will take over for second-round rookie Cody Whitehair at left guard, with Whitehair perhaps moving down to cover the Bears' troublesome center spot. If Kyle Long (shoulder) can get healthy, Chicago will boast one of the best guard duos in the league.

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

21 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Once again. Grigs fails to make a logical move that would drastically improve the team.

There's no way to know why we didn't sign Sitton.......     there could be a number of reasons why....

Including.....    money....    and the opportunity to play the Packers twice and deny them a shot in the playoffs.

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Dude do you have any clue have FA works? Anyone could sign him is completely false. He has to want to play for that team. The same is true for Mathis. You can't just sign a FA first and foremost that player has to want to come to Indy then they will have a dollar amount and years they want etc. There are 31 other teams in the league who more than likely are interested in the guy.

How many top shelf FA's do you remember signing with the Colts? How about the Pacers? Even when Manning was here did we have guys taking less to play here? Grig's probably screwed that up too. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's no way to know why we didn't sign Sitton.......     there could be a number of reasons why....

Including.....    money....    and the opportunity to play the Packers twice and deny them a shot in the playoffs.

NO you are wrong NCF anybody could have signed him only Chicago decided to oh that stupid Grig's all he had to do was just sign him. 

10 minutes ago, akcolt said:

NO you are wrong NCF anybody could have signed him only Chicago decided to oh that stupid Grig's all he had to do was just sign him. 

Well.....     there's another good reason,  and it might be the most important reason.

Mewhort might be back between week 2 and 4.     There's your left guard.

And Good is the right guard.      And if not him, then our 5th round pick from N. Dakota State whose name escapes me....       in short we have options.

Sitton clearly is not the same guy.    Green Bay cut him because no one would trade for him.    Not a single team would trade for him.      This isn't the same Josh Sitton whose been an all-pro before.

A little patience and an understanding of the big picture is often very helpful......

Just saying....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....     there's another good reason,  and it might be the most important reason.

And Good is the right guard.      And if not him, then our 5th round pick from N. Dakota State whose name escapes me....       in short we have options.

Sitton clearly is not the same guy.    Green Bay cut him because no one would trade for him.    Not a single team would trade for him.      This isn't the same Josh Sitton whose been an all-pro before.

A little patience and an understanding of the big picture is often very helpful......

Just saying....

Haeg is the name you are looking for. I posted we wouldn't have a ton of interest in him when he was cut and prepare for the board to blow up. We like Good and Thorton at G. 

I like Haeg at OT. and I could see him stepping in for Reitz when he gets a  ding and not looking back.

The Dolphins new staff cut their 2015 4th round pick Jamil Douglas I think from ASU. I thought we might be interested in him. He saw time at G and C last year. The other post was suppose to be a joke. 

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying....

Sitton is still a pretty good O Lineman. One of the top 5 best pass blocking Guards. A solid run blocker at Guard at 81.2 run blocking grade according to PFF but only at top 24 in that category. The theory floating around is Green Bay wanting to get younger and that Corey Linsley may be that answer. If that is indeed the idea I am not sure that he is the right answer. It doesn't seem to me he is given what I have seen with my own 2 eyes and with PFF backup what I have seen with there grade. Which isn't to say he is a horrible run blocker but Sitton was better last year

50 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Sitton is still a pretty good O Lineman. One of the top 5 best pass blocking Guards. A solid run blocker at Guard at 81.2 run blocking grade according to PFF but only at top 24 in that category. The theory floating around is Green Bay wanting to get younger and that Corey Linsley may be that answer. If that is indeed the idea I am not sure that he is the right answer. It doesn't seem to me he is given what I have seen with my own 2 eyes and with PFF backup what I have seen with there grade. Which isn't to say he is a horrible run blocker but Sitton was better last year

I'll accept GB wanted to get younger.....   but what I don't get is why no team offered a 5 or a 6 to GB for him.   That doesn't make sense unless he's fallen off.

Someone needs a guard of his quality if he still has it....

Seems there's a piece to the puzzle missing?

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

Haeg is the name you are looking for. I posted we wouldn't have a ton of interest in him when he was cut and prepare for the board to blow up. We like Good and Thorton at G. 

I like Haeg at OT. and I could see him stepping in for Reitz when he gets a  ding and not looking back.

The Dolphins new staff cut their 2015 4th round pick Jamil Douglas I think from ASU. I thought we might be interested in him. He saw time at G and C last year. The other post was suppose to be a joke. 

Yes,  Haeg is the name.    Thanks.     And I knew the other post was a joke,  no worries.     I'm a bit stunned that Miami cut Douglas....   that seems....    wrong.....     but there are always surprises this time of year.

I'm assuming someone has picked him up?

Just win the South, baby!     That's my mantra for 2016!!      Just win the South, baby!

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

I don't think this has anything to do with Lindsley at LG. He took the C job from Tretter and hasn't looked back. He finished his career at OSU as a C. He is the C in GB when healthy. 

I think there are a few things at play but this is mostly about money. They have Bahkiari Lang and Tretter all becoming FA's at the end of the year. Sitton was in his final year tooo. That's a lot of money to come up with. The $6.85 million will come in handy especially if they want to try to extend before the year ends.

When Lindsley comes back they give Tretter a look at LG. I think Taylor is there now but it would not shock me to see Bulgia kick in from RT so they can get Spriggs on the field. If they messed with Bahkiari like moving him to LG which there were whispers about doing to get a look at Spriggs at LT. They run the risk of making Bahikiari * bc a LT moving to LG in a contract year would undoubtedly cost him $$$. If Spriggs can't handle LT and is a RT they have could have created a huge problem for themselves,

They can't pay  everyone and the guys behind Sitton maybe aren't as good at this moment but the gap isn't big. He is going to decline that just happens with age yet with the pro bowls his price won't change.They are really trying to figure who to pay. Sitton isn't one of them due to his age. They also want to get Spriggs time.

I know this is a lot for Colt fans like you and I to process but really they have so many good players on OL they don't know who to pay. You can only play 5 att a time so cutting a guy you didn't plan to resign makes sense to GB. We freak out bc he's pro bowl good.

GB will still have one of the best OL's in the league. They saved money and opened a spot which allows them to get younger guys on the field. They now start deciding who they play and where and who gets paid. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes,  Haeg is the name.    Thanks.     And I knew the other post was a joke,  no worries.     I'm a bit stunned that Miami cut Douglas....   that seems....    wrong.....     but there are always surprises this time of year.

I'm assuming someone has picked him up?

Just win the South, baby!     That's my mantra for 2016!!      Just win the South, baby!

He is still unsigned. You would think Philbin likes him. He was the coach when he was drafted. I am surprised we didn't grab him.

He played over 500 snaps as a rookie 6 starts at C and G. He didn't rate well with PFF. He struggled I guess but he was a rookie. If Philbin isn't in Grig's ear then that says it all. It sure seems early to give up on a 4th rounder that can play all 3 interior line positions. 

8 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

enough about this guy already...

Sitton stays in NFC North, signs with Bears

Bears signed OG Josh Sitton, formerly of the Packers, to a three-year contract.

Predictably for a player coming off a Pro Bowl year, Sitton did not have to wait long to find a new home. Sitton will take over for second-round rookie Cody Whitehair at left guard, with Whitehair perhaps moving down to cover the Bears' troublesome center spot. If Kyle Long (shoulder) can get healthy, Chicago will boast one of the best guard duos in the league.

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

Bad news for Colts...good for the Bears...sounds like the cut of Gould may have been an aid to this money-wise

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

and...I'm guessing 20-25 teams wanted him.........Maybe he did want to stay in the division..

... facing teams he knew well..and the Bears needed him badly...might not even have to move his family..

Didnt take long for him to find a multi-year deal