Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Sitton available [Merge]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy is said to have about 10 or more suitors.  I don't believe I've ever seen the Colts nab a player that has that many people after him in a Free Agent situation.  I think the financial part of it won't sit right.  Colts haven't shown that they have ever been willing to bid the highest of anyone for a player. 

29 minutes ago, krunk said:

The guy is said to have about 10 or more suitors.  I don't believe I've ever seen the Colts nab a player that has that many people after him in a Free Agent situation.  I think the financial part of it won't sit right.  Colts haven't shown that they have ever been willing to bid the highest of anyone for a player. 

Yeah. I've heard the number of teams that want to sign him are in the double digits. I doubt we can pay more than many of his suitors.

2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Are we sure this guy is ok? He is an all pro guard that made just over 6 million per year and didn't have any trade value? That just doesn't add up.

Well he wasn't on the trade block for very long. If GB put him on the block earlier this year they may have had a shot to trade him. With it being this close to roster cuts many teams waited for him to be released rather than trading for him. The timing is what limited his trade value.

2 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Well he wasn't on the trade block for very long. If GB put him on the block earlier this year they may have had a shot to trade him. With it being this close to roster cuts many teams waited for him to be released rather than trading for him. The timing is what limited his trade value.

I just figured a guy of his caliber at such a discounted rate would be targeted by a team so that no other team had a chance to get him.

Offensive Guard Josh Sitton was cut it is believed to save money for Green Bay.  We have 12 million in cap space right now.  He could step in at guard on either side and with Mewhort injured (as well as Haeg who I still think would make a better swing tackle than guard) we're left with the heinous Harrison and Good as our only Guard options.  That's not good folks.  Sitton wants an extended contract meaning he wouldn't be cheap and he's 30 years old.  He does have a history with Joe Philbin so I am sure he's on top of it.  I could see the Colts wanting to keep with their trend of getting younger., but a guard talent like Sitton isn't often available., especially with all the teams who need linemen.   If we did pursue him, it would take a large bite out of our remaining cap space, so that's likely what could keep us from doing it.  

What do you all think? 

I don't think they will.  Good played the best of any of the linemen this preseason, and Mewhort was so solid last year.  Yes Mewhort and Haeg are both hurt, but do you sign someone to a large multi-year contract to shore up 1 position for a couple games?  I Think RT is our weakest spot now...and that is even considering it is Joe Rietz playing it. (Going off our projected starters of A.C., Mewhort, Kelly, Good, Rietz).  

We have a ton of guys on the o-line right now that can move between positions and play well, but our bookends are what have been questionable this preseason with injuries and just bad play.

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Offensive Guard Josh Sitton was cut it is believed to save money for Green Bay.  We have 12 million in cap space right now.  He could step in at guard on either side and with Mewhort injured (as well as Haeg who I still think would make a better swing tackle than guard) we're left with the heinous Harrison and Good as our only Guard options.  That's not good folks.  Sitton wants an extended contract meaning he wouldn't be cheap and he's 30 years old.  He does have a history with Joe Philbin so I am sure he's on top of it.  I could see the Colts wanting to keep with their trend of getting younger., but a guard talent like Sitton isn't often available., especially with all the teams who need linemen.   If we did pursue him, it would take a large bite out of our remaining cap space, so that's likely what could keep us from doing it.  

What do you all think? 

I think you have to make an offer at this point. It's not to replace Mewhort as he'll be back quickly, but it's to get a competent G on the other side of Mewhort. We are going to get a couple FA players off waivers. You usually don't get one like Sitton at such a weak position that we need to fill. Make a high offer for 2 or 3 years, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. It's something you have to try though and could be a nice band-aid for a couple years to fill in for the bust thornton and have someone while good and haeg perfect their craft. I don't even consider Harrison an option.

Is this guy a man or ZBS type of player? If it's not a match with our scheme, it's going to fail. I'm not too crazy about picking up a guy wanting an extended contract at 30 and it will end up stunting Good or Mewhort in the end. I'm torn unless he isnt a fit to our new zbs 

6 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Is this guy a man or ZBS type of player? If it's not a match with our scheme, it's going to fail. I'm not too crazy about picking up a guy wanting an extended contract at 30 and it will end up stunting Good or Mewhort in the end. I'm torn unless he isnt a fit to our new zbs 

They run zone and he played under Philbin for 4 years in GB I believe. Also, he just turned 30 in june, which isn't really old for OL.

Sitton is better than any guard the Colts have on the roster.  Whether or not they have a chance to sign him is a different matter.  And you have to wonder what the real reason the Pack released him.  Teams normally don't release veteran, probowl level players that have been with the organization since they were drafted.

We aren't getting Sitton sorry when do we land the all pro player over half the league wants. The Dolphins are cutting their 4th rounder from last year. The new staff doesn't see Jamil Douglas who played G and C last year as a good fit. Philbin could feel otherwise.

Douglas could add depth at G and C. He may be able to keep it warm for Mewhort. This would allow Haeg to focus on OT. I think that's where Haeg belongs. When Reitz gets dinged I expect Haeg to step in at RT and never give it back. 

I think the staff wants Good and Mewhort as out G's. By mid season when we are healthy I think our lines going to be Haeg Good Kelly Mewhort Casonzo give those guys some time together m

26 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Sitton is better than any guard the Colts have on the roster.  Whether or not they have a chance to sign him is a different matter.  And you have to wonder what the real reason the Pack released him.  Teams normally don't release veteran, probowl level players that have been with the organization since they were drafted.

i was wondering this, the question is, do we believe the notion it was because he wanted a HUGE contract?

28 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If you look at the two teams cap , GB is in way worse shape in 2017 than the Colts. About double the players making 7 mill or more. That's assuming Arthur Jones will be cut or accept a big pay cut. So it makes sense that they don't want to extend his deal. You can't keep everyone. But why they would just cut him this year makes your point legit.. unless he maybe requested it ? 

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Seems like a no brainer.

And some people think that describes our GM to a T.  No brainer.

I've said it since 2012, you sell out for the O line.  Overpay if you have to.   QBs like Luck are gifts, few in a generation.  You protect that.   Why is that so hard to understand?

Honestly, Sitton could work here. I think he's athletic enough for our scheme, he's a veteran, and a pretty good player at that! He started out at right guard in the league for 5 years and has played the left side for the last 3. That's good that he knows both positions. I still doubt it will happen, though.

6 hours ago, JPFolks said:

What do you all think? 

In a heartbeat.

Free agent OG Josh Sitton will visit the Bears.

If he leaves without a contract, his next visit will be with New Orleans. Green Bay's decision to move on from Sitton was a head-scratcher and now the division-rival Bears have a chance to hit the Packers where it hurts. The Bears are vulnerable at left guard with second-round rookie Cody Whitehair set to replace Matt Slauson. If he chooses the Bears, Sitton and Kyle Long would make a formidable duo at guard.
Related: BearsSaints

Sep 4 

58 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

And some people think that describes our GM to a T.  No brainer.

I've said it since 2012, you sell out for the O line.  Overpay if you have to.   QBs like Luck are gifts, few in a generation.  You protect that.   Why is that so hard to understand?

With one move, you could almost have a respectable line.  Bring in Sitton, Mewhort returns, the addition of Kelly...  Not great, but respectable. 

Seems to make perfect sense, so I'm certain it's something Grigson won't even consider. 

1 minute ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

It doesn't make sense in the flow of things after drafting 4 guys, to sign somebody to a big contract from another team this late and rushed.

One starter out of the four.  Our best lineman injured.  It makes perfect sense.  

But, sadly, it most likely won't happen.  

15 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Green Bay released him...a former ALL-pro guard.....worth a look for teams like the Colts, right?

He's been hurt but hes not done, is he?

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

What do you all think? 

Merged your threads

55 minutes ago, #12. said:

With one move, you could almost have a respectable line.  Bring in Sitton, Mewhort returns, the addition of Kelly...  Not great, but respectable. 

Seems to make perfect sense, so I'm certain it's something Grigson won't even consider. 

Actually assuming Castanzo gets back to his old self our line would be way more than just respectable. It'd possibly be a top 5 Offensive Line.