Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vikings are trading for Eagles' QB Sam Bradford

Everyone

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The eagles dumped him in favor of chase daniel a week before the start of the season.  Wasn't bradford assumed to be the eagles starter?  

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Same thing I was going to ask

But Pat Shurmur is a coach on the team. Many believe that he was putting his stamp on the team and that was why Teddy was being allowed to throw much more. Bradford played for Shurmur. 

We will win more with Bradford than with Shawn Hill. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

But Pat Shurmur is a coach on the team. Many believe that he was putting his stamp on the team and that was why Teddy was being allowed to throw much more. Bradford played for Shurmur. 

Pat Shumer is the tight ends coach.  

Bradford has a week to learn the playbook 

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I believe that if they can protect him. They've had some issues with the line I think. When was he with Shurmur?

7 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Lol, right. Bradford isn't exactly Mr. Clean bill of health himself.

That is the first thing I thought of when I saw the trade announcement flash on my cell phone. 

Having said that, I am more optimistic today than I was yesterday. We have a very talented team; we don't want to squander an opportunity to win. We have guys like Chad Greenway who are retiring. We have to give them a chance to win something. 

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Pat Shumer is the tight ends coach.  

Bradford has a week to learn the playbook 

Many have thought that he would replace Norv after this year. He is named the "tight ends coach" but he has been acting as an assistant offensive coordinator.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Many have thought that he would replace Norv after this year. He is named the "tight ends coach" but he has been acting as an assistant offensive coordinator.

You think you have a chance at making the SB with Bradford? This just made me Shake my head and think what's wrong with you guys. Teddy's injury is either worse than a year out, or Bradford is going to compete with Teddy next year. I'm high on Bradford compared to most on here, and I don't like it. Just think he's going to be benched next year when Teddy returns. Like you gave yourself a 1 year window with a 1st and 4th round pick?

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You think you have a chance at making the SB with Bradford? This just made me Shake my head and think what's wrong with you guys. Teddy's injury is either worse than a year out, or Bradford is going to compete with Teddy next year. I'm high on Bradford compared to most on here, and I don't like it. Just think he's going to be benched next year when Teddy returns. Like you gave yourself a 1 year window with a 1st and 4th round pick?

I don't like the trade(they gave up too much), but going to the SB with Bradford isn't out of the question. That defense is young and good and can carry them. They have AP on offense. All Bradford has to do is not throw picks or get injured.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We may not, but that is not the point. Should we give up on the season?  

As I have written many times over my two and a half years here, I don't like to give up draft picks for other teams' players. Our team values draft picks too. Just check out the last several drafts. Today we will be cutting players that we really like and value because we have no room for them. You liked Kentrell Brothers, right? We may have to cut him. Wanna trade for him. :P We need to replenish draft picks.

We may not but that is not the point. Should we give up on the season?  

As I have written many times over my 2 and a half years here, I don't like to give up draft picks for other teams' players. Our team values draft picks too. Just check out the last several drafts. Today we will be cutting players that we really like and value because we have no room for them. You liked Kentrell Brothers, right? We may have to cut him. Wanna trade for him. :P We need to replenish draft picks.

There's a difference between giving up on the season and giving up the ultimate draft currency for a mediocre qb for one year. Ultimate risk/reward, I can't imagine the fanbase is happy about it at all. It seems irresponsible that you are trying to force yourselves to be a threat when this year it's just not going to happen. If you make the playoffs and lose, now what? Do you start Bradford because of the price you paid for him? Bridgewater? This was a strange moment, and I don't see you as SB contenders (sorry). I do believe you may trade a player or two to get a pick back though, so I will wait before casting judgment. I hope it works out for the vikings.

The Vikings needed to do something as the season starts in a week. Bradford looked good in preseason, and as long as he can remain healthy, it might be OK. The Vikings have plenty of talent on their team, so it's not the end. I don't like the idea of them giving up a first round draft pick, but the deal is already done. Wait and see how this works out. 

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There's a difference between giving up on the season and giving up the ultimate draft currency for a mediocre qb for one year. Ultimate risk/reward, I can't imagine the fanbase is happy about it at all. It seems irresponsible that you are trying to force yourselves to be a threat when this year it's just not going to happen. If you make the playoffs and lose, now what? Do you start Bradford because of the price you paid for him? Bridgewater? This was a strange moment, and I don't see you as SB contenders (sorry). I do believe you may trade a player or two to get a pick back though, so I will wait before casting judgment. I hope it works out for the vikings.

We always have a lot of picks. We value draft picks. Check out our last few drafts. We have two picks from Miami in 2017. We will get more. 

We may not win the Super Bowl but we have to give ourselves a chance. There is zero chance that we would do anything with Shawn Hill. 

Should we have traded a lower pick for Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez or Kaep? (BTW, there is no way we would sign Kaep, especially not with what happened after the AP fiasco.)

We always have a lot of picks. We value draft picks. Check out our last few drafts. We have two picks from Miami in 2017. We will get more. 

We may not win the Super Bowl but we have to give ourselves a chance. There was zero chance that we would do anything with Shawn Hill. 

Should we have traded a lower pick for Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez or Kaep? (BTW, there is no way we would sign Kaep, especially not with what happened after the AP fiasco.)

Definitely a weird situation and a tough one, I believe you have extra 4th rounders (if i remember right). Lets see what happens. My view is that it's a one year window move, and if the trade doesn't give you a SB chance, then there was no point in making it. An extreme view, but JMO. You know more about the Vikings then me, so if you're fine with it, then GL. Hopefully it won't hurt your future. I would of got someone like McCown.

15 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

The Vikings needed to do something as the season starts in a week. Bradford looked good in preseason, and as long as he can remain healthy, it might be OK. The Vikings have plenty of talent on their team, so it's not the end. I don't like the idea of them giving up a first round draft pick, but the deal is already done. Wait and see how this works out. 

Thank you. That is how I see it.

24 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Definitely a weird situation and a tough one, I believe you have extra 4th rounders (if i remember right). Lets see what happens. My view is that it's a one year window move, and if the trade doesn't give you a SB chance, then there was no point in making it. An extreme view, but JMO. You know more about the Vikings then me, so if you're fine with it, then GL. Hopefully it won't hurt your future. I would of got someone like McCown.

The Browns reportedly wanted "better than a third round pick" for McCown. I would not like that. How old is McCown?? This move gives time for Teddy to get back, especially if his rehab requires more than one year

The Vikes have Miami's 3rd and 4th round picks this year (edit.. in the 2017 draft).

The Browns reportedly wanted "better than a third round pick" for McCown. I would not like that. How old is McCown?? This move gives time for Teddy to get back, especially if his rehab requires more than one year

The Vikes have Miami's 3rd and 4th round picks this year.

Ah, so you are were being bent over a barrel. Not a lot you could do, QB wise. All the best this season. At least you have a couple extra solid picks. The main reason I can find in favor of doing it is AP. Don't know how much longer he'll last.

Wow well that kinda came outta no where. I agree that the price was WAY too much for a year (or two) rental, but look at it this way, the Vikings have a better shot now than they did with Shaun Hill. Before the Bridgewater injury, I had them at a 12-4/13-3. With Shaun Hill, I was thinking more 8-8. Now, I can realistically see them finishing 10-6 with Bradford. Remember, they won 11 wins whilst Teddy only threw 14 TDs. Bradford doesn't need to be a legend for them to compete. Just good enough. They still got a great ground game and an elite defense to carry them.

2 hours ago, TDewar1987 said:

Is Teddy's injury career ending or something? That's an awful lot for mediocre for one season IMO.

Slight chance it may be, but I expect Teddy back in 2017. Meanwhile, Minnesota was all in for 2016.  Then the injury.  I thought they might go for Chase Daniel, but they went to the top.  So the Eagles will have Chase Daniel and Carson Wentz at QB now that Sam is out of the way.

Sam is better than Sanchez, Kaepernick, and others mentioned.  And Sam has fully bought in.  He has AD, and a good team with few holes.  He will do quite well in that system. NFLFan has to be much happier today than the last couple days, for sure.

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@ColtsBlueFL I was eagerly waiting for your thoughts on this. Last year (or the year before?), you were the only person in support of the Eagles move for Bradford. 

Sam had a decent year -

65.0%
3,725yds
19 TD
14 Int
86.4 Rating

And he was 7 - 7 with a fairly crappy Eagles team. If he cuts down on the INT's you have quite more than enough QB to win. Even the whole enchilada  Sam doesn't have to spearhead the victories, just control the game and ride the wave.  Your targets are much better (Diggs, Johnson, Treadwell, and Rudolph)  than what the Eagles had/have. Sam and Adrian Peterson are the best QB and RB to come to the pros from Oklahoma. I'm sure they're excited to play together and win.  I expect AD to carry more load early, and as teams stock up to stop that run game, Sam will have learned the full playbook and Turner will have play action going for some chunk yards.  Then holes open back up for AD.  It could very well workout well for Minnesota, and the pressure for TB to rush procedures and rehab have been reduced significantly.  Well done Minnesota.

And I really did think they would go for Chase Daniel, not Sam Bradford.  Might be even better this way, IMHO.

I think Superman also was alright with the Eagles/Bradford situation.  But I think he had slightly few more reservations than I did.

Bradford is better than any other QB they could have(or tried to)  have got, including Mike Glennon, McCown, Kaep, Sanchez, McCarron, Murray, etc...

I think Bradford will be better in Minnesota, as I believe Teddy would have been.  That said, here was Teddy Bridgewater's numbers from last year. Very similar-

65.3%                  3231yds                 14 TD                  9 Int      88.7 Rating

and Sam's -

65.0%
3,725yds
19 TD
14 Int
86.4 Rating

3 hours ago, TDewar1987 said:

Is Teddy's injury career ending or something? That's an awful lot for mediocre for one season IMO.

Teddy does not have an NFL body type...slight of build and not that tall or athletic. The scouts were doubtful about him coming out of college, that he would not be on IR a lot during his career.  The Vikes may still not be confident in his ability to hold up anyway.  Ironically, Bradford is also skinny, and he has been hurt a lot too.  

With Bradford, the Vikes probably figure they can contend for the Division title.  Let the QB situation sort out next offseason.  Teddy's contract is cheap...he could even backup Bradford next season and it wouldn't be a bad thing, considering Bradford could get hurt during the season.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The Vikings have plenty of talent on their team, so it's not the end. I don't like the idea of them giving up a first round draft pick, but the deal is already done.

For a better than average QB that can play right now?  The Vikings really can't wait for a development project, they have a very good team with a few aging players.  They are in win now mode, not in need of a development QB, not an old vet that can give them .500 over 4-5 games.  First round is what was spent on Bradford (and a TON of money! Before the rookie wage scale) I believe Bradford soundly outperforms any QB from this last draft this year, including the first rounders-

Goff, Wentz, Lynch, Hackenberg, Kessler, Cook, even Dak Prescott.

This is the best team Sam has ever been on in the Pro's.  The price seems steep, but it is the going rate. QB's like Osweiler with 7 games total experience get 18 million a year. It takes two, and both teams agreed to the deal, so...

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

For a better than average QB that can play right now?  The Vikings really can't wait for a development project, they have a very good team with a few aging players.  They are in win now mode, not in need of a development QB, not an old vet that can give them .500 over 4-5 games.  First round is what was spent on Bradford (and a TON of money! Before the rookie wage scale) I believe Bradford soundly outperforms any QB from this last draft this year, including the first rounders-

Goff, Wentz, Lynch, Hackenberg, Kessler, Cook, even Dak Prescott.

This is the best team Sam has ever been on in the Pro's.  The price seems steep, but it is the going rate. QB's like Osweiler with 7 games total experience get 18 million a year. It takes two, and both teams agreed to the deal, so...

The post you quoted was not written by me; it gives my username but I did not write it. What happened there???

(I believe it was Teganslaw who wrote what you quoted.)

Now that I have had time to think about it, I am okay with this trade. 

7 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The eagles must not have liked bradford very much.   I've never heard of a team trading their drafting qb a week before the season starts

That is the strangest part of this...

Wentz is hurt, isn't he?

I think this move goes over well in the Viking locker room...as if to say: We're still going to the playoffs this year

22 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That is the strangest part of this...

Wentz is hurt, isn't he?

I think this move goes over well in the Viking locker room...as if to say: We're still going to the playoffs this year

When was the last time bradford led a team to the playoffs?