Teddy Bridgewater suffers apparent nasty injury

RockThatBlue

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. That is high praise there. :)

Yeah, while I told everyone that I was not getting my hopes too high, I was so optimistic. I think we can still do well , but I am concerned for my QB. It is hard for others to see what he brought to the team. HE brings so much more than numbers. He clearly is not a FF quarterback but he is a winner. He is only 23; so I am hoping that being so young gives him a better chance of making a full recovery and playing again for us.

I am optimistic Bridgewater will be ready sometime in 2017, hopefully week 1.  His case is serious, and if he was an RB or WR, I'd be dubious of a return in 2017 before mid season, if at all.  QB is a little different, and especially a run first Vikes team.

Shaun Hill can step in, but Minn needs a backup to him to keep the playoff ship sailing.  My call would be to Tampa Bay to get Mike Glennon (not Sanchez, Not Geno Smith, not A. Murray, etc).  If they want too much, I'd be ringing the Browns up for the availability of McCown.  Between the two you should get through the season and in decent shape.  If not Glennon or McCown, the possibly get McCarron form the Bengals.  If you can't get one of those and you have to get a Kaepernick, or Sanchez, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, or a Mettenberger.... well... good luck with that. And, sorry.

Here's hoping the best for the Vikes and Teddy in his recovery.

21 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Who said anything about tanking he's a good QB better then who others mentioned 

It wouldn't be very wise for them to trade for a 4th round rookie QB. I'm sure that Zimmer still has playoff aspirations. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it looks like he will make a full recovery and be back next season which is great news. He is very young too so that helps. When Paul George had his gruesome injury it was scary and put me in depression mode for Basketball season in 2015 but he made a full recovery and looks like old Paul George. How are you doing today NFLfan?

I am doing much better. Thank you and other Colts fans and QwizBoy for the support. Teddy must be very well-liked. We have had fans from all teams leave very thoughtful messages and well wishes on The Daily Norseman, our SB Nation site. We appreciate them.

43 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

It wouldn't be very wise for them to trade for a 4th round rookie QB. I'm sure that Zimmer still has playoff aspirations. 

Better then kaep or Vick?? There is no all pro out there to trade for a rookie with upside is good. cook shouldn't have went anywhere near the 4th round. he looked good for the Raiders this pre season.

50 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I am doing much better. Thank you and other Colts fans and QwizBoy for the support. Teddy must be very well-liked. We have had fans from all teams leave very thoughtful messages and well wishes on The Daily Norseman, our SB Nation site. We appreciate them.

not only that, but he did play for UoL, which isn't far from the borders of Indiana.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I am optimistic Bridgewater will be ready sometime in 2017, hopefully week 1.  His case is serious, and if he was an RB or WR, I'd be dubious of a return in 2017 before mid season, if at all.  QB is a little different, and especially a run first Vikes team.

Shaun Hill can step in, but Minn needs a backup to him to keep the playoff ship sailing.  My call would be to Tampa Bay to get Mike Glennon (not Sanchez, Not Geno Smith, not A. Murray, etc).  If they want too much, I'd be ringing the Browns up for the availability of McCown.  Between the two you should get through the season and in decent shape.  If not Glennon or McCown, the possibly get McCarron form the Bengals.  If you can't get one of those and you have to get a Kaepernick, or Sanchez, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, or a Mettenberger.... well... good luck with that. And, sorry.

Here's hoping the best for the Vikes and Teddy in his recovery.

I read that he could have lost his leg in this type of injury.  This was a non-contact injury. Would this not suggest it could happen again? Do you know any other players who have come back from this?

Quote:

"Source confirms tibiofemoral dislocation, ruptured ACL for Bridgewater. 'Trainers may have saved his leg and career by quick action.'"

(Tweet by Will Carroll)

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/8/31/12728436/teddy-bridgewater-s-injury-could-have-been-much-worse

31 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Better then kaep or Vick?? There is no all pro out there to trade for a rookie with upside is good. cook shouldn't have went anywhere near the 4th round. he looked good for the Raiders this pre season.

Kaep has been to the SB on a roster with similar talent. I'm not sure what Vick has in the tank but they wouldn't have to trade anything to acquire him. He's a free agent if I'm not mistaken. There are other options as well. 

Soon after starting strategizing, Mark Sanchez was quickly ruled out when they realized they were talking about Mark Sanchez, and then came to a consensus on Michael Vick, saying he had “no fight” left in him.

The last remaining candidate? Colin Kaepernick.

“Kaepernick!” Spielman uttered. “We have to.”

Zimmer responded with, “The guy can’t stand more than Bridgewater can right now.”

They all hesitantly nodded in agreement. Back to the drawing board they went.

http://dailysnark.com/report-vikings-go-kaepernick-cant-stand-either/

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

Point on Mike & mike  this morning raised by Golic, "it does not make sense to simply be dropping back to pass causes such an injury to the ACL and knee. Something was perhaps waiting to tear before this happened.

He probably hurt it in the most recent preseason game and that carried over.

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I read that he could have lost his leg in this type of injury.  This was a non-contact injury. Would this not suggest it could happen again? Do you know any other players who have come back from this?

Quote:

"Source confirms tibiofemoral dislocation, ruptured ACL for Bridgewater. 'Trainers may have saved his leg and career by quick action.'"

(Tweet by Will Carroll)

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/8/31/12728436/teddy-bridgewater-s-injury-could-have-been-much-worse

There is no question from me the ATC saw the seriousness of the situation, stabilized the knee in  best position allowable, then called for Paramedic assistance/transport for a potentially bad situation to nerves or vasculature. I haven't heard or read any stories about what the ATC on site did, I just assumed it from reports. So while others wondered why an ACL gets an ambulance,was necessary in this case, I made summations it was more than an ACL did not question the decision. Just waiting for (hopefully not dire) news.

I'll check out the article later when I get a chance, but in the meantime Kudos to the ATC (s) that administered to Teddy B. on the field and made the right call(s).

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Quote:

(Tweet by Will Carroll)

I seen that. They were talking bout it too on 1070, seems he could have lost his leg and possibly his life. That's a mu ch worse injury then just an acl tear and structure damage. Im no doctor but I'm betting he starts next season on the PUP list. That'd a massive injury to the knee 

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you and other Colts fans and QwizBoy for the support. Teddy must be very well-liked. We have had fans from all teams leave very thoughtful messages and well wishes on The Daily Norseman, our SB Nation site. We appreciate them.

Kind of hard to find fault in the gentleman, and was progressing well in his career.  Hopefully, there will be no setbacks in treatment/recovery and he can resume his career path early next season.

To me, he will always be the QB the Browns rejected, after they paid a Hundred Grand for a study of who to take, Manzeil or Bridgewater.  Of course the study pointed to Teddy and the Browns then took Johnny.  ;-)

25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I seen that. They were talking bout it too on 1070, seems he could have lost his leg and possibly his life. That's a mu ch worse injury then just an acl tear and structure damage. Im no doctor but I'm betting he starts next season on the PUP list. That'd a massive injury to the knee 

He could have severely impacted or potentially lost his leg -IF- the ATC had not acted quickly, decisively, and properly in that situation (stabilizing it, calling for paramedics for transport).  Because he did, they only have to worry about knee reconstruction. There's a good chance once swelling subsides and they can surgically repair it, they may also have a ruptured PCL, and possible MCL and LCL damage.  Also, there is concern for cartilage damage as well. The more involved and worse they are will impact recovery time, no doubt.

I'm not sure who reduced the knee dislocation and when (likely the Orthopedic surgeon at the hospital), but nerve and vessel injury has now been ruled out telling me they've determined TB has no numbness in his leg/foot and the pedal pulses can be palpated (felt) at his inner ankle and/or on top of the foot. So those potentially serious issues aren't a problem, from what we are told.

Since no nerve or blood supply problem, reconstruction and rehab is the game.  That depends, as mentioned, on thea mount and extent of ligament damage along with the ACL.  We will not know until they surgeons go in and make the repairs, and then we get an update. Remember TB doesn't have to be as 'recovered' as and Adrian Peterson or Wide Receiver.  and while ACL repair take 6-9 months, dislocated knee without nerve/Atery damage takes 9-12.  So, from my perspective,  TB could possibly be ready if no setbacks, and no nerve or arterial problems occur in recovery.  He's young, and Adrian Peterson, who defied his odds and recovered early, there to encourage him on that road to recovery.  I'm taking the optimistic road (unusual for me) on this one until a report comes out that makes me lower my head, and ultimately alter my timeline.

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

This was a non-contact injury. Would this not suggest it could happen again? Do you know any other players who have come back from this?

Getting beyond my pay grade here... ;-)

Multiple ligament knee injury is quite serious, and there could be a few intensive procedures to reconstruct (PCL, PLC, to go with the full ACL tear), with potential MCL and LCL issues.  This indicates to me that allograft is very good possibility in the reconstruction process.  All while monitoring nerve and vessel functionality. But if articular cartilage surfaces are addressed and all ligaments repaired, and then properly rehabbed, why couldn't a young guy like that come back?  And since it happened once, under the same unusual conditions, it could certainly happen again.  Or not. Who knows.  It's something we will have to follow over time and go with the flow.

I haven't looked at the history of players that have suffered this and returned.  But I believe in Teddy.

EDIT:  Just saw a tweet from @footballdoc, here's his take-

10 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

What worries me after reading is that it was a complete tear.  Wondering how they will fix it.  Artificial?  Pig.....somebody help out an old guy that has only been a patient...but I play a doctor on TV... :)

Did you stay at the Holliday Inn Express ?:spit:

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Kind of hard to find fault in the gentleman, and was progressing well in his career.  Hopefully, there will be no setbacks in treatment/recovery and he can resume his career path early next season.

To me, he will always be the QB the Browns rejected, after they paid a Hundred Grand for a study of who to take, Manzeil or Bridgewater.  Of course the study pointed to Teddy and the Browns then took Johnny.  ;-)

Lol. I am pretty sure that the study was of all the quarterbacks in the 2014 draft, not just Manziel and Teddy. The study chose Teddy over all of them.

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. That is high praise there. :)

Yeah, while I told everyone that I was not getting my hopes too high, I was so optimistic. I think we can still do well , but I am concerned for my QB. It is hard for others to see what he brought to the team. HE brings so much more than numbers. He clearly is not a FF quarterback but he is a winner. He is only 23; so I am hoping that being so young gives him a better chance of making a full recovery and playing again for us.

Its high praise but warranted , a very strong up and coming young team. They seem to be solid on both sides of the ball as well as Special teams. TB will be back

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

Its high praise but warranted , a very strong up and coming young team. They seem to be solid on both sides of the ball as well as Special teams. TB will be back

From your fingertips to God's ears. Thanks, Jay. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NFLfan glad to hear you are feeling better. I wont even bother asking you how you think the team will do now (I just did I guess) if you don't want to talk about it yet.

I don't know yet. Let's see if we bring in another QB. Our backup is pretty bad. Our third-string QB Tyler Heinicke looked promising last year but he is out with a non-football injury and won't be back for several weeks. I really don't want to give up draft picks for a stopgap QB. I hope we wait to claim someone who gets cut. 

What can I give you for your 3rd string QB? ;)

34 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know yet. Let's see if we bring in another QB. Our backup is pretty bad. Our third-string QB Tyler Heinicke looked promising last year but he is out with a non-football injury and won't be back for several weeks. I really don't want to give up draft picks for a stopgap QB. I hope we wait to claim someone who gets cut. 

What can I give you for your 3rd string QB? ;)

I am not sure how much Morris is worth but I do like Morris. Maybe a 5th or 6th Rounder haha I am not even sure the Colts will actually keep him. The more Draft picks Indy gets though the better chance we have building through the Draft.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. I am pretty sure that the study was of all the quarterbacks in the 2014 draft, not just Manziel and Teddy. The study chose Teddy over all of them.

True, but Blake Bortles was off the board {Surprise!} before the Browns pick at #4, so it was TB or JM. 

But the Jags are showing didn't make the colossal mistake many believed they had after selecting Bortles with intent to redshirt him, then having to put him in at QB early in game 3, mid game vs. the Colts. And Derek Carr is showing that he should have been more in the mix as well.

Absolutely mind boggling injury with how it happened and how severe it is.-omg-

Best wishes that he can come back next year week 1. He seems like a good guy, I hope he can do this. He certainly seems to have a large support group as well. He has youth on his side too, so he can maybe heal faster.

2 hours ago, Jules said:

Absolutely mind boggling injury with how it happened and how severe it is.-omg-

Best wishes that he can come back next year week 1. He seems like a good guy, I hope he can do this. He certainly seems to have a large support group as well. He has youth on his side too, so he can maybe heal faster.

Bridgewater sadly joins Dante Culpepper in this category. Culpepper looked like a QB for the future back in the day, hopefully Bridgewater's injury don't destroy his career like it did Culpepper. 

On 8/31/2016 at 10:06 AM, csmopar said:

They have 2 options only.  A cadavor (spelling) from a dead person with his blood type or they can harvest part of his patellar tendon and use it as his ACL.  I chose the later because according to my doctor(who did Carson Palmer's knee) the patellar will grow back on its own and you can only do a cadavor once.  The recovery time for the 2nd option is a couple months longer and has a different rehab then the cadavor option but according to my doc, the patellar tendon as an ACL has a  lower re-tear percentage then a cadavor.  

So if i had to guess, he's likely to chose option 2 but i have no idea to be sure

Interesting thanks!!  :)....Damn, I wanted a pig ligament.....this is genius to me....

http://www.aperionbiologics.com/news-and-press/damaged-acls-it’s-aperion-and-pig-tendons-rescue-featured-xconomy

20 hours ago, BertJones said:

the Vikings will be fine.

They can go 5-2 to start the season with a back up.

that said...Kaepernick is coming..dont laugh,youll be sorry..he's coming.

Its going to happen.

And Green Bay wont like the sound of it.

I don't know about that (signing Kaep). He would be a huge distraction. We don't need that.

Rumors (nothing confirmed) have it that we are exploring a trade for Sanchez and that we are bringing in Vick for a visit. I want neither player. I prefer to stay with what we have. At least our guys know the system and playbook and we know what we have in them.  

If we must bring in someone, I would prefer a young QB like Kevin Hogan to develop. The Chiefs would have to cut him. I am a Stanford fan and would love to have him in our organization. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know about that (signing Kaep). He would be a huge distraction. We don't need that.

Rumors (nothing confirmed) have it that we are exploring a trade for Sanchez and that we are bringing in Vick for a visit. I want neither player. I prefer to stay with what we have. At least our guys know the system and playbook and we know what we have in them.  

If we must bring in someone, I would prefer a young QB like Kevin Hogan to develop. The Chiefs would have to cut him. I am a Stanford fan and would love to have him in our organization. 

I tried to give you a LIKE but I am out haha. I say hell no to Kaep as he would be a huge distraction and his game isn't near what it was 2 years ago. He seems mentally confused IMO. If you cant beat Blaine Gabbert out for a job then that's all that needs to be said. You will probably need more than Hill to make the Playoffs but I like Hill, he can pull a Hass and give you some wins. I am not sure what the answer is at this point. Having Peterson is huge though so you never know.

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

what distraction? he had a great preseason game tonight.

lol whether you like it or not,he's coming.

I'm not being mean,just having fun with the conversation...but he's still coming.

And you will like it too because it means wins/winning

On 9/1/2016 at 0:33 AM, Bogie said:

Bridgewater sadly joins Dante Culpepper in this category. Culpepper looked like a QB for the future back in the day, hopefully Bridgewater's injury don't destroy his career like it did Culpepper. 

21 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

Interesting thanks!!  :)....Damn, I wanted a pig ligament.....this is genius to me....

http://www.aperionbiologics.com/news-and-press/damaged-acls-it’s-aperion-and-pig-tendons-rescue-featured-xconomy

In a knee dislocation, there are multiple severe ligament tears / sprains.  Sometimes, multiple surgical procedures are needed to complete the reconstruction, and often surgery is commenced before all swelling has been reduced, due to other complications from delay.

And yes, after I reviewed the data, previously it was difficult or near impossible to come back from this not all that long ago.  These days, where if all goes well in reconstruction and rehab, a player very well can return.  To me, especially a young Quarterback; notably one in a Run First offensive scheme.  This is why I believe in Teddy and his return and getting his future career back on track.

Ligaments of the knee-

{right knee shown}

RightKnee_zpsjkrcixlo.jpg

EDIT: Another reason to believe in Teddy-

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Statement-From-Teddy-Bridgewater/597ebba6-02b5-4cac-bdbc-e2609d4a0457

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Rumors (nothing confirmed) have it that we are exploring a trade for Sanchez and that we are bringing in Vick for a visit. I want neither player. I prefer to stay with what we have.

Yes, totally agree with this.  But to be sure, I'd back up Shaun Hill with McCown from the Browns.  McCown will protect the ball and execute the Minnesota offense quite well. Sanchez cannot protect the ball and is not suited for the Vikings O.  If Hill goes down, you don't want to sacrifice the season to a 'developing young QB' just yet.  That's why I'd go for McCown.  But if a young development QB is on the list, ring up Tampa Bay and get Mike Glennon, IMHO.

41 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, totally agree with this.  But to be sure, I'd back up Shaun Hill with McCown from the Browns.  McCown will protect the ball and execute the Minnesota offense quite well. Sanchez cannot protect the ball and is not suited for the Vikings O.  If Hill goes down, you don't want to sacrifice the season to a 'developing young QB' just yet.  That's why I'd go for McCown.  But if a young development QB is on the list, ring up Tampa Bay and get Mike Glennon, IMHO.

I hear you. I guess my post was not clear. I am not counting on Hogan for this year. I want him to be Teddy's backup of the future. I was disappointed when we did not draft a young QB in the late rounds this year. I think it makes sense to draft QBs to develop the way Green Bay, New England, and the Eagles do. They have all traded QBs for high to mid-round draft picks (Brunell & Hasselbeck, Cassell, Kevin Kolb). 

I don't want to trade high draft picks for anyone. So, I don't want Glennon or McCown. I read that the Browns want "more than a 3rd round pick" for McCown. No, thank you. Our GM feels the same way. However, I think you are right that he is probably one of the best options for us. He does not come with baggage and he understands his role. He seems calm. If we could get him for one of the players that we value but can't fit on the roster, then I would take him.

He fell in the draft because teams thought he would be injury prone.  Apparently, his skinny structure can't hold up to a simple drop back.  Nice kid, good QB skills, but he's out for a season with an injury, which was not unexpected when teams were evaluating him as a pro prospect.

In that respect, he's achieving expectations.

56 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

In a knee dislocation, there are multiple severe ligament tears / sprains.  Sometimes, multiple surgical procedures are needed to complete the reconstruction, and often surgery is commenced before all swelling has been reduced, due to other complications from delay.

And yes, after I reviewed the data, previously it was difficult or near impossible to come back from this not all that long ago.  These days, where if all goes well in reconstruction and rehab, a player very well can return.  To me, especially a young Quarterback; notably one in a Run First offensive scheme.  This is why I believe in Teddy and his return and getting his future career back on track.

Ligaments of the knee-

{right knee shown}

RightKnee_zpsjkrcixlo.jpg

EDIT: Another reason to believe in Teddy-

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Statement-From-Teddy-Bridgewater/597ebba6-02b5-4cac-bdbc-e2609d4a0457

Thank you for this. I saw Teddy's statement and posted it on my profile last night (on a status update). He hand-wrote that and gave it to the team to release on his behalf. He lifted up our spirits.

Quote:

I want to thank the Wilf Family and the entire Vikings organization, all of my teammates, friends, Eric Sugarman and the amazing Vikings athletic training staff and the fans who have sent me messages and wished me well. Your thoughts and prayers mean a lot to me and have helped me in this difficult time. There are great players and great leaders in our locker room who are going to fight to the end to reach the goals we set for 2016. I will be there mentally, physically and in spirit to support them accomplish those goals.

In order to have a testimony, you have to have a test. I come from amazing DNA, I watched my mom fight and win against breast cancer. We will, as a team, attack my rehab with the same vigor and energy. My faith is strong, my faith is unwavering and my vision is clear. My purpose will not be denied.