Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teddy Bridgewater suffers apparent nasty injury

RockThatBlue

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm a Teddy B fan for sure, but the injury certainly doesn't look good.

Might end up having to make a move for Kaepernick.  That's about what's left out there.  Maybe Sanchez or Mike Vick.  Either way sucks for them.

Imagine Boone and Kap on the same team again after the last week

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Imagine Boone and Kap on the same team again after the last week

That Minnesota team is built kinda similar to some of his 49er teams under Harbaugh too.  Not sure if Zimmer would get along with him though.  Zimmer isn't the type that would take well to the type of Media attention Kap is getting right now.

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Good advice Jared. Let's just wait & see what the X-rays & medical experts in Minnesota have to say first. 

I wish the best for him too NFLfan. Just think good thoughts & let's not even ponder Bridgewater's quality of life yet. Way too soon to go to worst case scenarios at this point. Let's see what we're dealing with exactly first or Teddy rather. 

To the bolded, I see what you did there, SW. Lol.   

But seriously, it is hard to laugh and "just think good thoughts" when reports are coming out that your beloved starting QB sustained a "gruesome injury" and teammates were throwing up at the sight of it. 

But it will get better. Get well Teddy!

I did not write this but I could not write it any better. Many Vikings fans are feeling the same:

"There is nothing but heartbreak for me, as a huge portion of the excitement this year was rooting for Teddy — the kind of old school athlete that warmed my heart, the individual player who I was really rooting for to succeed and excel for my team. Now all of that joy is gone, and in the void is fear of a potentially career-ending injury. It doesn’t fit the definition of a Greek tragedy, but as far as NfL fandom goes, this COULD BE about as bad as it can get — the one defeat for which the words "maybe next year" don’t work.

It is hard to imagine a more cruel turn of events for Vikings fans. At least for this particular fan."

Written by Tigger Sr, 8/30/16

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/8/30/12717288/teddy-bridgewater-suffers-significant-knee-injury-full-diagnosis#comments

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Torn ACL AND dislocated knee?  ...that's worse..

...wow...He looked so good last weekend....

He sure did, Mark. He looked good all summer. Oh well. Now, I am more concerned about his long term health and future. That is how much I loved this kid. 

So is it a torn ACL or something else? If its his ACL then that just sucks. Minnesota was primed for a big year and a playoff push with Bridgewater behind the wheel. Well. We got great news with Mewhort. Maybe Minnesota will get similar news. Sorry to all the Vikings fans on here. I cant imagine how devastated you guys are.

20 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He sure did, Mark. He looked good all summer. Oh well. Now, I am more concerned about his long term health and future. That is how much I loved this kid. 

Seems like a good guy...

There's no consoling ...but I dont know of any QB whose career ended at TB's age due to a knee injury.

I'm sure he'll be back......I'm not comparing them.....but Robert Griffin is back...and 100%

5 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Do they usually call an ambulance out for an ACL tear? I hope its not something worse.

Maybe not, but if there is signs of multiple ligament damage, they might.  At that point you worry about vascular and nerve damage.

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

It really is bad. I am praying it is not career-ending. I love that kid.  

Thanks for your thoughts, my friend.

Fortunately, there appears to be no vascular or nerve damage.  Complete recovery for 2017 is much better.

Vikings statement-

"Teddy Bridgewater suffered a non-contact injury today at practice. The injury was quickly identified as a dislocated knee. The injury was stabilized, and he was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment and evaluation. After undergoing an MRI, it was determined that Teddy suffered a complete tear to his ACL and other structural damage. Fortunately, there appears to be no nerve or arterial damage. Surgical repair will be scheduled within the next few days. Although the recovery time will be significant, we expect Teddy to make a full recovery. I would like to thank all of the medical professionals and our athletic training staff for all of their help today. Teddy has already displayed the attitude needed to overcome this injury and attack his rehab."

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

So is it a torn ACL or something else? If its his ACL then that just sucks. Minnesota was primed for a big year and a playoff push with Bridgewater behind the wheel. Well. We got great news with Mewhort. Maybe Minnesota will get similar news. Sorry to all the Vikings fans on here. I cant imagine how devastated you guys are.

ACL tear and dislocated knee.

8 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Best news possible for this particular case. The ACL tear was inconsistent for the situation, but it was also because he has a dislocated knee. He had to go through a lot of extra pain, but there's no nerve or artery damage either as mentioned a bit on here. Just have to heal for the year unfortunately, but he should make a full recovery. Best possible outcome based on the horrible situation.

19 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I cant understand how all that can happen.

The QB takes no hits in practice, right?   He's in peak shape....

..............looked ready to roll Saturday

.....Hurts the NFL when the name QBs go down like this

He must have planted his leg funny when doing his dropback.  He might have gotten the force and angle just right for everything to get injured like that.  It really sucks because if you take a huge hit, you say an injury may be expected.  But professional QBs have done thousands of dropbacks in their lifetimes, and that's what got him.  It's like if a sky diver does a thousand dives and comes out fine, but then trips on the sidewalk and breaks his arm.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Best news possible for this particular case. The ACL tear was inconsistent for the situation, but it was also because he has a dislocated knee. He had to go through a lot of extra pain, but there's no nerve or artery damage either as mentioned a bit on here. Just have to heal for the year unfortunately, but he should make a full recovery. Best possible outcome based on the horrible situation.

Dislocated knee / structural damage means more ligaments involved.  Was any cartilage and / or Patella tendon involved as well?  If a RB or WR, might not be back at beginning of 2017.  As a QB, might be back in time.

28 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I cant understand how all that can happen.

The QB takes no hits in practice, right?   He's in peak shape....

..............looked ready to roll Saturday

.....Hurts the NFL when the name QBs go down like this

Bigger, stronger, faster players.  Get spikes stuck in ground; player gets off balance... freakish injuries.

To quote researchers quoted in the Journal of Athletic Training-

" Noncontact ACL injuries are likely to happen during deceleration and acceleration motions with excessive quadriceps contraction and reduced hamstrings co-contraction at or near full knee extension. "

There.   ;-)

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe not, but if there is signs of multiple ligament damage, they might.  At that point you worry about vascular and nerve damage.

Fortunately, there appears to be no vascular or nerve damage.  Complete recovery for 2017 is much better.

Vikings statement-

"Teddy Bridgewater suffered a non-contact injury today at practice. The injury was quickly identified as a dislocated knee. The injury was stabilized, and he was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment and evaluation. After undergoing an MRI, it was determined that Teddy suffered a complete tear to his ACL and other structural damage. Fortunately, there appears to be no nerve or arterial damage. Surgical repair will be scheduled within the next few days. Although the recovery time will be significant, we expect Teddy to make a full recovery. I would like to thank all of the medical professionals and our athletic training staff for all of their help today. Teddy has already displayed the attitude needed to overcome this injury and attack his rehab."

With the way they're reporting, I would not be surprised if he damaged his PCL and or  a meniscus disc, or God forbid all the above  or the patellar. But the structure part leads me to speculation that it's the meniscus and the pcl as well. But again pure speculation based on my knowledge of the knee from my own injuries. I want to stress im just guessing 

15 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Depends, he would still likely be out for the year but if its just a broken bone and no ligament/tendon damage its an easier surgery and shorter rehab. Think Paul George.

This is exactly my thoughts.  Bone heals and they went straight to the hospital...I need to read down to find out what it was.  

5 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

This is exactly my thoughts.  Bone heals and they went straight to the hospital...I need to read down to find out what it was.  

It is a complete ACL tear and a dislocated knee. Pretty bad. However, the head trainer says there is no nerve or arterial damage. He says he should make a full recovery. Let's see what happens

10 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

What worries me after reading is that it was a complete tear.  Wondering how they will fix it.  Artificial?  Pig.....somebody help out an old guy that has only been a patient...but I play a doctor on TV... :)

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It is a complete ACL tear and a dislocated knee. Pretty bad. However, the head trainer says there is no nerve or arterial damage. He says he should make a full recovery. Let's see what happens

I watched some of the game the other day in the new stadium.  The Vikes had me picking them in the top echelon of not just the NFL...but the entire league.  Sad for you and all Vikings fans.

48 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I watched some of the game the other day in the new stadium.  The Vikes had me picking them in the top echelon of not just the NFL...but the entire league.  Sad for you and all Vikings fans.

Thanks. That is high praise there. :)

Yeah, while I told everyone that I was not getting my hopes too high, I was so optimistic. I think we can still do well , but I am concerned for my QB. It is hard for others to see what he brought to the team. HE brings so much more than numbers. He clearly is not a FF quarterback but he is a winner. He is only 23; so I am hoping that being so young gives him a better chance of making a full recovery and playing again for us.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. That is high praise there. :)

Yeah, while I told everyone that I was not getting my hopes too high, I was so optimistic. I think we can still do well , but I am concerned for my QB. It is hard for others to see what he brought to the team. HE brings so much more than numbers. He clearly is not a FF quarterback but he is a winner. He is only 23; so I am hoping that being so young gives him a better chance at making a full recovery.

Yeah it looks like he will make a full recovery and be back next season which is great news. He is very young too so that helps. When Paul George had his gruesome injury it was scary and put me in depression mode for Basketball season in 2015 but he made a full recovery and looks like old Paul George. How are you doing today NFLfan?

1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

What worries me after reading is that it was a complete tear.  Wondering how they will fix it.  Artificial?  Pig.....somebody help out an old guy that has only been a patient...but I play a doctor on TV... :)

They have 2 options only.  A cadavor (spelling) from a dead person with his blood type or they can harvest part of his patellar tendon and use it as his ACL.  I chose the later because according to my doctor(who did Carson Palmer's knee) the patellar will grow back on its own and you can only do a cadavor once.  The recovery time for the 2nd option is a couple months longer and has a different rehab then the cadavor option but according to my doc, the patellar tendon as an ACL has a  lower re-tear percentage then a cadavor.  

So if i had to guess, he's likely to chose option 2 but i have no idea to be sure