Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Deserves To Leave When He Is Ready To..

Portage Coltfans

I agree, 3 first rounders vs one...thats not a set back at all.

By the way, Wayne and saturday aren't going to stick around without Peyton. So who is Luck going to throw to? Garcon? what a joke

This is what worries me. We will lose a few guys who don't want to start over with a rookie. The Colts won't be getting any to FA to fill the roster either so we can expect many down years to come. Even if Luck turns out to be good.

By the way, Wayne and saturday aren't going to stick around without Peyton. So who is Luck going to throw to? Garcon? what a joke

This post included, you have taken several swings in this thread and have pretty much fanned on them all.

What did Irsay have before Peyton came to Indy?

Indiana was a basketball state - It is clearly now a football state

Indianapolis was a Pacer town - who cares about the pacers now?!?

Basically he had a franchise no better than Jacksonville is now!

Peyton changed all that for Mr. Irsay, would anybody even care about his tweet happy fingers without Peyton? I think not

Manning, without a doubt, greatly contributed to the Colts popularity. But let's not forget one other man, who had contributed as much as Manning. Tony Dungy.

Remember how it was before Dungy's years? Manning needed to score 40 points every game to have a chance to win because Colts had no defense. Would Indy be a Colts-city had Irsay not personally lured Dungy out? Manning would very likely still be scoring 40 points a game, but Colts might not have the same level success that they did and wouldn't be as popular as they are today.

Colts gain popularity, in big part, because Dungy was the face of the franchise for a number of years. He is likeable by most people, players and fans alike.

Ask folks at Tampa Bay, for example, who is the more popular coach there? Gruden, with whom they won a SB, or Dungy, who made the Bucs relevant in the city of Tampa Bay?

I'm not here to discredit Manning nor do I support Luck. But we need to realize that Manning does not single-handedly "build" this city. Could Manning have gone this far without Harrison, Edge, Bob Sanders, Jeff Saturday, Mathis, Freeney, Gary Bracket, Stokley, or even Vanderjagt (yes, that liquored up kicker). Plus all the coaching staff, the front office, the owner, and many other names.

So, does Manning deserve to leave (Colts) when he's ready? Sure, but so does Irsay deserve to decide when Manning needs to leave.

[edited for clarity and typo]

This is what worries me. We will lose a few guys who don't want to start over with a rookie. The Colts won't be getting any to FA to fill the roster either so we can expect many down years to come. Even if Luck turns out to be good.

You don't know that at all. The Polians aren't here no more and if the Colts don't pick up Mannings option(and I doubt they will) the Colts will have enough cap space to fill in holes.

I wasn't aware that Wayne was the only available reciever in the NFL and I really didn't know Saturday could catch at all. :facepalm: Some of the arguments for not drafting Luck are so ridiculous its comical.

chances of him leaving get more serious once we make a decision on the head coach. I believe if its an offensive coordinator then the chances of him coming back get much worse :(

*if we do lose manning lets hope irsay and grigson make up for it with smart moves in free agency, like getting carl nicks or ben grubbs.* if manning came back the most important position to solidify would be the offensive line. all it takes is one good hit and bam there goes his season

You're right, but you don't become a billionaire by giving away millions.....

Peyton has gotten exactly what he deserves......Millions and Millions of dollars.....Everything else is a bonus.......

Irsay became a billionaire by being born and having Peyton Manning on his team. In 1999 the Colts were valued at 305 million and by 2008 their worth topped 1 BILLION dollars. Not to mention the Irsay received free use of LOS from the taxpayers. Do you think Indy hosts the super bowl if we never have Manning?

A)He's cheap

B)he's extremely talented

C)he's young and without injuries

D)...teams invest their futures in rookies generally

He's not that cheap, $5.5+ million dollars per year is a lot. I've read that he would get around a $24-26 million dollar contract, which would be $6 to 6.5 million dollars a year. That's a lot of money tied up in the quarterback position if you have Peyton Manning on the roster, who should be able to stay here for as long as he wants to.

I wasn't aware that Wayne was the only available reciever in the NFL and I really didn't know Saturday could catch at all. :facepalm: Some of the arguments for not drafting Luck are so ridiculous its comical.

Your use of sarcasm doesn't make much sense as most people that follow the colts know that Jeff Saturday plays center...

A)He's cheap

B)he's extremely talented

C)he's young and without injuries

D)...teams invest their futures in rookies generally

no injuries yet, he could be the next Kolb/stafford (early years)

I know stafford had a good year this year, but all he had to do was throw the ball downfield blindly to Megatron. Megatron makes it look like a Madden game.