Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Deserves To Leave When He Is Ready To..

Portage Coltfans

What did Irsay have before Peyton came to Indy?

Indiana was a basketball state - It is clearly now a football state

Indianapolis was a Pacer town - who cares about the pacers now?!?

Basically he had a franchise no better than Jacksonville is now!

Peyton changed all that for Mr. Irsay, would anybody even care about his tweet happy fingers without Peyton? I think not

I have been a Colts fan since 1994, I loved the Harbaugh years. But we have had Peyton since 1998. I feel just as loyal to him as i do the organization. I don't care about his possible "not coming back". If he's in there working out hard everyday to come back, then I he deserves to come back if he want to. I don't care about missing out on Luck.

This isn't like Favre leaving the Packers, Farve kept saying he was going to retire and then come back.

If Petyon wants to stay in Indy he should allow the Colts to make him a free agent by not paying the 28 million. He would then sign a new contract. If Peyton becomes a free agent and then decides to leave that is his decision not the Colts unless the Colts simly refuse to resign him.

Would you spend 28 million dollars on a less than sound investment? I'm not saying I am for nor against it...sure I want Manning back, but if at the end of the day there is too much risk what else is Irsay to do?

exactly......these types of decisions are why owners run teams and not fans. Oweners tend to think (and should) with the bottom line in mind and that's not what fans do.

Irsay paid a lot of $$'s this season for Manning to never set foot on the field....for him to exercise the option / rest of the contract he needs to be 100% sure that Manning will play (and play well) for the balance of that contract.

To exercise that option without that knowledge is a foolish move to make just because Manning was a great player for so long. You need to look towards the future and not just pay guys because of what they HAVE done for you but rather what they WILL do for you.

Football is not only a sport its a business. If Peyton is healthy enough to play he should play and contribute. If not then other actions will be taken. So saying "Peyton Manning deserves to leave when he is ready" is incorrect. Peyton is just a great piece and assest in this sports/business. Now saying something like Peyton deserves to be in the HOF is more understanding IMO.

I feel just as loyal to him as i do the organization.
I am a huge Manning fan, but you can't make organizational decisions without the future in mind.

I don't want to see him go, but I will support whatever decision the organization makes.

If Petyon wants to stay in Indy he should allow the Colts to make him a free agent by not paying the 28 million. He would then sign a new contract. If Peyton becomes a free agent and then decides to leave that is his decision not the Colts unless the Colts simly refuse to resign him.

If it were that simple.

If the option bonus is not picked up, then he is a free agent, but we also get hit with a 10.4 dead cap space, so if we were to resign him that would be the starting point on his 2012 cap #.

The Colts rise to prominance also coincided with IU and Pacer basketball going down the tubes. If IU can come back to an elite team this once again will be a basketball state. Not that it has left that.

Indianapolis and Indiana are terrible sports fans in general. When a team is winning, they are all about it and are fans forever. But once things turn for the worst they fall to the wayside for the next best thing.

Not it wont, your options in Indiana during the winter are limited.

Peyton changed all that for Mr. Irsay, would anybody even care about his tweet happy fingers without Peyton? I think not

Peyton was the best athelte in Indianapolis history, he has been amazing to the community and franchise. As a result of that Irsay has paid him a quarter BILLION in salary and who knows how much on the endorsement side that came with that.

The Colts owe him a lot, but they do not owe him a job if he is just playing to play. I read a post on here a while ago that someone said he earned the right to play till he was 50 if he wanted and that he didnt care if he was terrible. That is just stupid, Irsay owns a business, he has a resonsibility to do what is best to keep that business at its peak condition. Keeping a guy around because he was once great is foolish and costly.

I have been a Colts fan since 1994, I loved the Harbaugh years. But we have had Peyton since 1998. I feel just as loyal to him as i do the organization. I don't care about his possible "not coming back". If he's in there working out hard everyday to come back, then I he deserves to come back if he want to. I don't care about missing out on Luck.

This isn't like Favre leaving the Packers, Farve kept saying he was going to retire and then come back.

These things dont usually end like Elway, the more often than not end like Favre, Montanna, Emmit Smith, etc. At some point its time to move on, if you actually had the billion dollar business at stake maybe you would see it a different way. Its great you are loyal to Manning, he has meant a lot to this city, but he has been compensated like no one else ever in NFL history.

With all due respect, that is nothing close to the way you should run a franchise. There are serious financial decisions to be made and the future of the franchise cannot and should not be made on the emotional decision that Irsay somehow owes Manning.

Trade the #1 pick, and Peyton Manning stays for as long as he wants to. He has earned it!

loyalty like that is a great way to set back a team's future.

I hope Peyton stays but if the team thinks the best route is start over they cant hold off on those plans just for the sake of what Manning wants. Im sure even Peyton himself understands this.

I do hope we keep him having said that and take Luck. I really think this is a rare situation where both guys involved have the personality to handle it, even if they dont like it.

28 million is nothing compared to the billion he made him since 1998

You're right, but you don't become a billionaire by giving away millions.....

Peyton has gotten exactly what he deserves......Millions and Millions of dollars.....Everything else is a bonus.......

I know one thing,

Luck better be freakin good if they let Peyton walk, or the colts might be relocated to LA

SOMEONE is going to QB the Colts after Manning.

Should we get Jeff Garcia to come back to the NFL? Kerry Collins?

Or should we draft the "best prospect since _______"?

Manning is getting old and has injury issues. You are willing to put all of your eggs in that basket?

If it were that simple.

If the option bonus is not picked up, then he is a free agent, but we also get hit with a 10.4 dead cap space, so if we were to resign him that would be the starting point on his 2012 cap #.

Does the $28 million count against the cap or is that just out of Irsay's pocket?

I know one thing,

Luck better be freakin good if they let Peyton walk, or the colts might be relocated to LA

I believe the Colts are contractually bound to Indianapolis for about 20 years due to the cities investment in LOS.

But I agree, Luck had better be the best QB to enter the NFL since Brady/Manning or this whole line of thought is bankrupt.

SOMEONE is going to QB the Colts after Manning.

Should we get Jeff Garcia to come back to the NFL? Kerry Collins?

Or should we draft the "best prospect since _______"?

Manning is getting old and has injury issues. You are willing to put all of your eggs in that basket?

Anyone that believes Manning is too old to win championships (plural) ain't been following this sport very long. He's getting old, and we have an opportunity to win multiple titles with him. His injury would have to be near crippling for me to believe he cannot accomplish this.

Anyone that believes Manning is too old to win championships (plural) ain't been following this sport very long. He's getting old, and we have an opportunity to win multiple titles with him. His injury would have to be near crippling for me to believe he cannot accomplish this.

I think he can. I just think the OP has not the future in mind and is being overly sentimental.

We WILL need a successor.

Look I love Peyton Manning to death and am beyond grateful for what he did for this team and city and I want him to be our QB next year and for years after that. However, I understand there is going to come a day rather it be next season or four years from now when Peyton Manning is no longer our QB and I don't want our team to fall off the face of the earth much like Miami did when Marino retired or the Bills did when Jim Kelly retired and where seasons like this one become the norm and we just live in the old glory days of Peyton Manning and slowly accept that our franchise will never be that again. The Colts have a chance to get what most people think is the guy that is going to be the next Peyton Manning. You can't just pass on that in hopes that you'll get four more years out of Peyton with what is clearly a rebuilding football team. That's how your franchise becomes the Bills or Dolphins always looking for a QB and by the time you are in poistion to get a QB there is no promise that guy is going to be as good as people are saying Andrew Luck is going to be.

In a perfect world you hope there is away where the Colts can keep Peyton Manning and draft Andrew Luck and I still think if healthy that's what Irsay is going to want to do and I think since that's not thought to be the smart football move could be why GMs canadits decided they didn't want to come here and why coaches have been declined interest to come here. They know it's going to be hard going forward with so much money tied up in QBs.

However we don't live in a perfect world we live in a world where sometimes you have to make the hard call. As hard as it will be to say good bye to Peyton Manning and if he has to leave if that's what the Colts feel like they have to do that's what they will do. I am not pulling for it and I wont like it but I will accept it if it happens. What else can I do? I am not going to stop cheering for my Colts. I'll probably order my Andrew Luck jersey after the draft and place my Peyton Manning jersey next to my Jim Harbaugh jersey in my closet that I just can't make myself give away and probably try to watch as little of Peyton Manning with a new team as I can because it'll just be too painful while posting on here defending Andrew Luck against the people who are upset that he's not Peyton Manning day one and calling him a bust after his first pre-season game and taking joy with those that are enjoying watching Andrew Luck grow and hoping he lives up to the hype.

Just my two cents...

I think he can. I just think the OP has not the future in mind and is being overly sentimental.

We WILL need a successor.

Whats funny is that this thing is shaking out to be the polar opposite of the Favre debacle in GB. There, we saw a franchise QB waffling about his return until the franchise moved on without him.

Here we have the franchise seemingly waffling about the future of the franchise QB, and he might just "move on".

How is Andrew Luck a sound investment?

You are kidding right? The new rookie wage scale makes it very affordable to sign a rookie #1 pick. He will make probably 5-6 million a year, thats not bad my friend.

Drafting Luck is a no brainer regardless of what happens with Peyton. If you have a chance to maybemake your franchise relevant for another 10-15 years or more, you do it.

The funny thing is that if Luck does turn out to be the next big thing that the people who hated the idea of drafting him will become Lucks biggest fans and will say they knew it all along.

Believe it or not this is the Indianapolis Colts, not the Indianapolis Mannings. I hope Manning stays but its foolish to try and win for 1-2 years and say to the heck with the future when the current team is not that great and is in salary cap limbo.

All I know is I am glad that many of the fans on thsi forum do not run big compaines like the Colts. Irsay has hundreds of employees that he has to worry about, not just one. He has the future of his franchise to think about. If you can go from 12 years with arguably one of the top 5 QBs of al time to another 10-15 years of another potential elite QB, you do it. Having 25 years of top quality, elite NFL QB play is unheard of.

How is Andrew Luck a sound investment?

Oh, come on - you've been around here for way to long to toss out a troll post like that!

You know that from a financial point of view, with the new rookie pay scale, there is little downside in bringing Luck here, and a tremendous upside.

You are kidding right? The new rookie wage scale makes it very affordable to sign a rookie #1 pick. He will make probably 5-6 million a year, thats not bad my friend.

Drafting Luck is a no brainer regardless of what happens with Peyton. If you have a chance to maybemake your franchise relevant for another 10-15 years or more, you do it.

The funny thing is that if Luck does turn out to be the next big thing that the people who hated the idea of drafting him will become Lucks biggest fans and will say they knew it all along.

Believe it or not this is the Indianapolis Colts, not the Indianapolis Mannings. I hope Manning stays but its foolish to try and win for 1-2 years and say to the heck with the future when the current team is not that great and is in salary cap limbo.

All I know is I am glad that many of the fans on thsi forum do not run big compaines like the Colts. Irsay has hundreds of employees that he has to worry about, not just one. He has the future of his franchise to think about. If you can go from 12 years with arguably one of the top 5 QBs of al time to another 10-15 years of another potential elite QB, you do it. Having 25 years of top quality, elite NFL QB play is unheard of.

This hits the nail right on the head.

I hate Irsay's tweets, your an owner, not a movie star, act like one.

All this talk about best way to run a franchise and smart "business" decisions. Prettty sure nobody is this forum has ever run and NFL franchise so nobody knows the implications of decisions. Manning should be catered to to a certain extent. Plain and simple. Look at what he's done Indy football not to mention the city and the tons of money he's made for irsay! If u completely gut an organization u take the chance of losing millions of dollars in fan base. Why, because people love their "team". Little transitions in personnel can be handled but if u completely dismantle an organization and not leave something in place ( Peyton Manning) the people relate too, ur taking the chance of losing thousands of fans. Work with Manning. If he should chose to "retire", so be it. I believe he's earned a little special treatment. "he" put indy on the map.

loyalty like that is a great way to set back a team's future.

I hope Peyton stays but if the team thinks the best route is start over they cant hold off on those plans just for the sake of what Manning wants. Im sure even Peyton himself understands this.

I do hope we keep him having said that and take Luck. I really think this is a rare situation where both guys involved have the personality to handle it, even if they dont like it.

Who said I thought it held the colts future back? Trading the pick is the best for the present and it leaves a foundation for the future if we draft correctly.

Who said I thought it held the colts future back? Trading the pick is the best for the present and it leaves a foundation for the future if we draft correctly.

I agree, 3 first rounders vs one...thats not a set back at all.

By the way, Wayne and saturday aren't going to stick around without Peyton. So who is Luck going to throw to? Garcon? what a joke

How about this....If you can guaranteed that #1 pick A.Luck plays for 14 years, gives the Colts 12 straight playoff years, wins the MVP just 2 times, wins at least one Super Bowl and sets many new records..... I'm in....
Or to turn it around..... I'm all for passing on Luck (either via trading the pick or taking another player) If you can guarantee that #18 will come back 100% healthy and fullfill the rest of his contract, play up to his previously established standards whlie leading the Colts to the playoffs the next 4 seasons and to at least 1 SB..... I'm in,,,,,

Or to turn it around..... I'm all for passing on Luck (either via trading the pick or taking another player) If you can guarantee that #18 will come back 100% healthy and fullfill the rest of his contract, play up to his previously established standards whlie leading the Colts to the playoffs the next 4 seasons and to at least 1 SB..... I'm in,,,,,

No offense to Andrew Luck, but I'd rather help Peyton Manning win a Super Bowl. He has done a lot for the colts!