Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Verrrrryyy Interesting Interview With Pm/changes Sadden Manning (Merge)

Case

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not like the interview at all!

Manning seems almost depressed. I really dislike how Grigson has made almost zero contact with Peyton Manning. That is something that troubles me and really bothers me a lot. As a new GM i really think it is important to establish a connection with your franchise QB. I dislike that fact a lot. Perhaps Grigson has been very busy running around establishing a new staff but i wish he was friendlier with peyton.

Before I sound like a debbie downer, Peyton is a creature of habit. Part of the reason he is down is because he dislikes change.

Rationally and logically, it is best for the Colts to release Manning or try to trade him to the team that will let him win more rings to cement his legacy as the GOAT. While the Colts develop their new franchise QB.

Having said that, I do not want to see Manning in another uniform and if he were to win rings with another team, there is chance he would go to canton in another uniform which would break my heart. I want a another ring for the colts. darn it JIM Caldwell, you really botched the SB

MY heart wants Manning to come back, win one ring with the colts then retire and stay on as a qb coach and coach Luck

Interesting...

Did anyone realize, that Luck or #1 draft pick wasn't mentioned at all.

Seems like Manning would stay with us, and there will be some meeting with Irsay about future. I hope he will be retained!

It is strange, that he hasn't met with Grigson formally, but as long as Irsay and PM don't discuss the future, it isn't a big thing IMO.

I hope he will stay at the team as coach...

Definitely seems like the magnitude of change happening on W 56th has really shocked him. Like he said, that's probably b/c he's never had to be around that, nor have most of the Colts players. The magnitude is probably a huge shock for most long time Colts who have found success beyond the NFL norm during PMoney's career.

Seems to me that he has come to terms with the finality and NFL -mortality of his career/situation and is ok with whatever happens. I definitely would be surprised if he comes back. New HC, New OC - might or might not run the same system he has played in during his career (probably not?). Not to mention new DC, and at this point given the Grigson hire and Spagnuolo hire attempt, I have to think they are leaning toward dumping the Tampa 2 and going 3-4 - you are talking new personnel all over the place. At this point, it appears as if the writing is on the wall; at 36, coming off 3 surgeries, stem cell treatment, etc. New HC, New Coordinators and potentially the loss of many long time dependable vets (Brackett/Wayne/Mathis, etc), to me it's pretty clear what the decision will be.

All we know from this interview:

1. Manning, like anyone else, is sad by the firings. First time he has been around it, and almost everyone else would feel sad also. So he is human.

2. I do believe, Manning wants to stay a Colt #1. If he had a choice, that would be his first.

3. Manning doesn't want to retire and wants to play with his neck. I think he plays this next season.

4. Learning a new system with the Colts new coaches, which would most likely let him do his thing because it has worked for over 10 years, would be EASIER than going to a new team and learning ALL their stuff. How can you say he wouldn't want to stay with a new system. Hello, even going to a team that has a simiar, they are all different, do things different, and it is just about the same.

5. Irsay is the one that will decide Manning's fate. With that, I am happier than with Grigson. Irsay has more invested into Manning and I think there is a better chance to keep Manning with Irsay deciding, than Grigson.

6. For all the other team fans that keep saying the Colts should release/trade Manning. First off, with the cap hit, they can't trade him. If he is given the 28 million, he stays. Second, if this was Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Eli, Big Ben, it is easy to say, let him walk.....For the fans of the team, you wouldn't say that about your QB and I think most of the let him walk stuff comes from, you want him out of Indy and either to another team in a difference conference or you want him for your team to you can win.

7. Manning has a lot of character and his proven over the years, he hates all the drama.

This article reinforced many of the thoughts that I have had about the changes that have been going on. I know how I would feel if so many of the people who had helped me become a success were dumped the way the Colts have dumped their coaching staff over the past week. Add to that the fact that the new guy in charge hasn't even taken time to sit down with me would tell me it is time to look for a new job, no matter what my status with the company was before the change started.

He's being very cautious..

he doenst know who his coaches will be and he doesnt want to say anything before he does know

the new coach might be someone he's never met..or someone he knows well..

But the question that wasnt asked ( or wasnt answered) is: How are you progressing?

Are you progressing?

That's the question only he can answer......and it isnt in the story

he either wasn't asked or didnt want to get into it.

All we know from this interview:

1. Manning, like anyone else, is sad by the firings. First time he has been around it, and almost everyone else would feel sad also. So he is human.

2. I do believe, Manning wants to stay a Colt #1. If he had a choice, that would be his first.

3. Manning doesn't want to retire and wants to play with his neck. I think he plays this next season.

4. Learning a new system with the Colts new coaches, which would most likely let him do his thing because it has worked for over 10 years, would be EASIER than going to a new team and learning ALL their stuff. How can you say he wouldn't want to stay with a new system. Hello, even going to a team that has a simiar, they are all different, do things different, and it is just about the same.

5. Irsay is the one that will decide Manning's fate. With that, I am happier than with Grigson. Irsay has more invested into Manning and I think there is a better chance to keep Manning with Irsay deciding, than Grigson.

6. For all the other team fans that keep saying the Colts should release/trade Manning. First off, with the cap hit, they can't trade him. If he is given the 28 million, he stays. Second, if this was Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Eli, Big Ben, it is easy to say, let him walk.....For the fans of the team, you wouldn't say that about your QB and I think most of the let him walk stuff comes from, you want him out of Indy and either to another team in a difference conference or you want him for your team to you can win.

7. Manning has a lot of character and his proven over the years, he hates all the drama.

Going and learning a new system isn't as hard with a team that is a QB away from competing and competing at a high level. For example, take Arizona/Miami/Jets or even SF: In this scenario, which would be a certainty if PM leaves (b/c he's not going to a rebuilding outfit), it's a tradeoff and one that for him is well worth it.

I think we've established at this point that the Colts aren't close to competing and have many holes to fill and perhaps an entire shift philisophically on the defensive side which will take 2-3 yrs to attain personnel to achieve the new system.

The most important one is this here:

"One thing he (Grigson) kind-of, sort-of told me, without really wanting to tell me, was that Irsay will be the guy I'm going to sit down and talk with," Manning said.

If the decision is truly on Irsay alone I cannot imagine that he will let go Peyton Manning. My impression is that he wants both Manning and Luck.

I did not like the interview at all!

Manning seems almost depressed. I really dislike how Grigson has made almost zero contact with Peyton Manning. That is something that troubles me and really bothers me a lot. As a new GM i really think it is important to establish a connection with your franchise QB. I dislike that fact a lot. Perhaps Grigson has been very busy running around establishing a new staff but i wish he was friendlier with peyton.

Before I sound like a debbie downer, Peyton is a creature of habit. Part of the reason he is down is because he dislikes change.

Rationally and logically, it is best for the Colts to release Manning or try to trade him to the team that will let him win more rings to cement his legacy as the GOAT. While the Colts develop their new franchise QB.

Having said that, I do not want to see Manning in another uniform and if he were to win rings with another team, there is chance he would go to canton in another uniform which would break my heart. I want a another ring for the colts. darn it JIM Caldwell, you really botched the SB

MY heart wants Manning to come back, win one ring with the colts then retire and stay on as a qb coach and coach Luck

I still dont understand How Jim caldwell blew the Super Bowl but that's old news...

Grigson is in a sensitive spot. he knows how much Manning means but he's disconnected fromhis injuries and his relationship with Irsay,

Grigson may be telling himself...I'll just set my coaching staff...and let the big boss deal with that $28 detail...which probably is a much bigger deal to US than it is to Irsay....who is a multi-millionaire...

I agree wth you,..,.I'd have picked up the phone and called Manning as soon as I got the job but Grigson may be uncomfortable doing that.

the guy Manning needs to get to know and trust is his new coach, who ever that is.

That's why he sounds worried...He doesn't know who his coach is

The Rob Lowe tweet, this interview, Irsay's candid interview last weekend. All a well-orchestrated plan to ease us fans into the painful realization that father time and business call for 18's departure. You slowly let out bits of information that get us ready for the bad news. When the bad news is confirmed, its much less of a blow. Time, injury, and rebuilding are painful steps but we must take them. We have the opportunity to replace a legend, I say GOAT, with the best QB prospect to come out of the NFL in 15 years. As Irsay said, what an incredible opportunity. We're so lucky to have been blessed by Peyton Manning.

Well last time Irsay cleaned house: GM, HC and QB were let go. So far we have let go of the GM and HC. Is Irsay waiting to see if PM is healthy enough to trade for picks or does he truly believe he can keep PM and draft Luck. I think thats a lot of money tied up that could be spent elsewhere.

My guess is Irsay told Grigson not to worry about PM. Get his house in order, plug his spots and he(Irsay) will hande the PM situation. I def get the feeling that Manning wants to stay but it preparing himself for the worst, just like any smart businessman would. As he said, "you have to separate the professional from the personal".

I think that so long as PM is healthy he will be a Colt next year. After that, who knows. That will depent a lot on how well he plays.

Its a huge change for him, as he said, one that he has never had to deal with. He is a professional though and will continue to do his thing until told otherwise.

I don't think everyone should start flailing around crying that Manning is leaving the Colts just because of one itnerview. As I have said before, calm down, have a coke and a smile and wait and see. Still lots of offseason left.

There is nothing to read into this. All this was was a very honest and distraught Manning relaying his feelings regarding the changes going on. It was an enjoyable read, simply for the fact that I enjoy whatever he has to say because he's very intelligent, honest, and doesn't deal with the crap and drama that the media (national media, at least) insists upon.

As an aside, can everyone PLEASE get over the $28 million crap? Irsay has said NUMEROUS times in interviews that the money is NOT an issue. Whether or not Manning plays for the Colts in 2012 is PURELY based on his HEALTH. If he's healthy, he plays for us. If not, he most likely retires. He's not going to try to trade Peyton to "free up cap space" or any of that crap. They very well knew going into this deal that it would take up a lot of cap space. Do you think Irsay all of a sudden changed his mind? Irsay loves Manning, and doesn't change his mind very easily (he's all about continuity). Those two tihngs alone should lead any sensible person to believe that Irsay doesn't care about the moeny, let alone the multiple times he's stated as much.

The Rob Lowe tweet, this interview, Irsay's candid interview last weekend. All a well-orchestrated plan to ease us fans into the painful realization that father time and business call for 18's departure. You slowly let out bits of information that get us ready for the bad news. When the bad news is confirmed, its much less of a blow. Time, injury, and rebuilding are painful steps but we must take them. We have the opportunity to replace a legend, I say GOAT, with the best QB prospect to come out of the NFL in 15 years. As Irsay said, what an incredible opportunity. We're so lucky to have been blessed by Peyton Manning.

way too much of a conspiracy there.......No one is in control of this right now....not even Irsay.

My guess is Irsay told Grigson not to worry about PM. Get his house in order, plug his spots and he(Irsay) will hande the PM situation. I def get the feeling that Manning wants to stay but it preparing himself for the worst, just like any smart businessman would. As he said, "you have to separate the professional from the personal".

I think that so long as PM is healthy he will be a Colt next year. After that, who knows. That will depent a lot on how well he plays.

Its a huge change for him, as he said, one that he has never had to deal with. He is a professional though and will continue to do his thing until told otherwise.

I don't think everyone should start flailing around crying that Manning is leaving the Colts just because of one itnerview. As I have said before, calm down, have a coke and a smile and wait and see. Still lots of offseason left.

Just trying to hears what he's saying....and not saying...

..and the question still stands..Why does he make no comment what so ever on how he's doing.

I dont believe the throws the ball every day, gets checked out every week and has no idea how he's doing...

I just would like to know the details...of his recovery..we all would

"I'm not in a very good place for healing' date=' let's say that," he said, referring to the practice facility. "It's not a real good environment down there right now, to say the least. Everybody's walking around on eggshells. I don't recognize our building right now. There's such complete and total change."[/quote']

Tell me that's not alarming?

Interesting...

Did anyone realize, that Luck or #1 draft pick wasn't mentioned at all.

Seems like Manning would stay with us, and there will be some meeting with Irsay about future. I hope he will be retained!

It is strange, that he hasn't met with Grigson formally, but as long as Irsay and PM don't discuss the future, it isn't a big thing IMO.

I hope he will stay at the team as coach...

I don't see why lucks name even should have been mentioned in that article, since its about PM not luck. I have a strong feeling that the colts will cut Manning, even if he is healthy.

Of anyone has noticed during the season all the talk was about petting retiring, now the talk about another team getting him is heating up.... point is its very likely petting will be healthy but I don't think it will be before early march which will force irsay to cut him.

But the question that wasnt asked ( or wasnt answered) is: How are you progressing?

Are you progressing?

That's the question only he can answer......and it isnt in the story

he either wasn't asked or didnt want to get into it.

he mentioned that he is still healing. not healed yet. that is telling in of itself.

if by some slim chance he ever plays another down professionally, sounds like he will never be 100%. so why bother? its time to hang it up. most of us here on the board have come to terms with that.

I don't think this interview says anything about whether or not Peyton will be back. Coaches that have been with him his entire career are gone now and he's just trying to deal with that.

This. The end.

I love how much the "Luck is better than Manning" crowd reads into meaningless and arbitrary interviews like this.

Manning is shooting the breeze right now, that's it. He's keeping the football world focused on the Super Bowl, while also touching on the important changes happening within the Colts organization. He's performing the latter without focusing on himself, and that's admirable.

To me, he comes off as a guy who wants to, and will play again. Being sad about the situation in Indianapolis doesn't mean anything with regards to his health.

This interview to me only shows how Peyton like a lot of people if not everyone is not very comfortable with immediate change and how it effects those around you. If he does end up staying then like everyone else on the team they will get adjusted to the change. I don't blame him for thinking it isn't a great environment when people are acting different, because they could possibly be fired during this transition.

This interview to me only shows how Peyton like a lot of people if not everyone is not very comfortable with immediate change and how it effects those around you. If he does end up staying then like everyone else on the team they will get adjusted to the change. I don't blame him for thinking it isn't a great environment when people are acting different, because they could possibly be fired during this transition.

I would think by now that Irsay has fired all that he is goning to fire. Time to move forward and get that HC in here ASAP.

He sounds like a guy on his way out... bummer this is going down this way. It's also clear that he's not totally healed up which is very telling.

Ive been reading your posts for months now. Anytime you get a chance you pounce on Manning to say hes done, out, retireing , not healthy or whatever. Constant negative. Get off it, you dont know and neither does anyone else. Im so sick of oh... Peytons done! Cause im a federally trained interrigator and I KNOW type of mentality.

Is Manning upset ya. Is he rehabing ya. Irsay has stated a thousand times if he is healthy he stays ya. So why do people do this type of crud. Its exhausting.

Peyton, your awesome and Irsay would be insaine to get rid of you if your healthy enough to play.

Pfft..Just can't believe that people criticize or speculate so much on such an insignifcant matter. What do you want PM to say? I'm so glad we fired the Polians and Caldwell...those *$%*T*#$T I never liked them sons a....?? From a business standpoint no one would say that...they'd just say "it's sad, I've been with such and such for so long and it's hard to believe"...but inside might be thinking "I think it's a good move and I'm glad we made it"...he has to be ultra conservative because he can't offend the public or his franchise either.

Ive been reading your posts for months now. Anytime you get a chance you pounce on Manning to say hes done, out, retireing , not healthy or whatever. Constant negative. Get off it, you dont know and neither does anyone else. Im so sick of oh... Peytons done! Cause im a federally trained interrigator and I KNOW type of mentality.

Is Manning upset ya. Is he rehabing ya. Irsay has stated a thousand times if he is healthy he stays ya. So why do people do this type of crud. Its exhausting.

Peyton, your awesome and Irsay would be insaine to get rid of you if your healthy enough to play.

ya