Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli's Grit

manningstheman

The one thing I see that Eli has that Peyton doest have is the determination to fight in the pocket. I am not saying Peyton isn't good in the pocket, he is just different. Peyton is excellent at stepping up in the pocket or away from the pass rush. But, if the pocket is starting to colllapse then Peyton is known to fall to the ground instead of take the sack and possible fumble. I cant say I dont blame him, it keeps the ball from getting turned over and gives him another shot at getting the first down. Eli, on the other hand, just stands in the pocket and will take a shot in the ribs to get that 10 yard pass off. Now, he has been known to fumble on a hit because of this, or get the ball difflected for an interception, but I have to give him his props for his toughness. I really took him for more of a "wimpy" version of Peyton. I was wrong. He had the big throw in the Superbowl last time with a player draped all over him. Then this weekend he took shot after shot and he never flinched. Hats off to Eli.

It's in the blood. Each of the Manning's have been tough.. Archie took a beating for years in New Orleans. I remember seeing a picture of him in college playing with a broken arm/cast on his hand.

Peyton & Eli are both equally tough and have taken beatings and have played through injuries that would and have sent many to the sidelines.

Peyton is one of the toughest guys in the league. He has played with a broken jaw and has dealt with a nagging neck pain for a few years. He's taken his fair share of hits and gotten back up.

I wasnt trying to say Peyton isnt tough. He has taken many a hit over the years. Probably why he is having the neck problems, ofcourse. But, most of his big hits came earlier in his career. I am not saying Peyton isnt tough, maybe Eli just hasnt been hurt bad enough yet to know the difference. Thats all. Both tough as nails.

I love Eli and would love him even if his name wasn't Manning. His whole pro-career all he's heard is that he's not as good as his brother and that he isn't one of the elite QBs in the NFL. Yet he never responds to it and just goes out there and plays and plays well. I admire him and you know I think the pounding he took the other night was amazing and part of the reason they won that game. He really did hang in there and just took a couple of shots where he knew they were coming but it didn't phase him.

He reminds me a lot of Matt Howard when he was at Butler in that regard. I remember last year in the tournment Howard was going to the line to shoot what was pretty much game winning free throws to beat Pitt and Steves was yelling at him across the floor to miss the second free throw and Howard just turns around with that calm look on his face and his this look of oh yeah okay no big deal. He was completely cool in the situation. I don't know if what I am saying is coming across right it's just that one thing I've admired about both is just how calm both stayed no matter what they are facing. Eli always has that half board look on his face and Howard does too and it just strikes me how good both of them are at staying calm.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now