Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts To Interview Ravens' Dc Chuck Pagano [Merge]

Coltswarriors

...I don't want our defense to take a step back though. We just need a few pieces on defense like CB, NT, and SS and some good coaching and I think our 4-3 can be pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing 3 down lineman sets at times kind of like what LSU did this past season. A hybrid 4-3 would be fine with me, but I don't really want us to move to the 3-4.

If we had a five-tech end, we could run a one-gap 5-2 similar to what the Texans are doing now. Players like Phillip Wheeler and Jerry Hughes would be a good fit for stand-up rushers in that system. Still need another corner or two, and a safety. And another good tackle would make it even better. But I think Drake Nevis would be wasted. He might have the ability to do what Antonio Smith does, but I think he's at his best as a three-tech tackle.

I don't know why people are so enamored with the 3-4. Good defense is good defense, regardless of the configuration.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had a five-tech end, we could run a one-gap 5-2 similar to what the Texans are doing now. Players like Phillip Wheeler and Jerry Hughes would be a good fit for stand-up rushers in that system. Still need another corner or two, and a safety. And another good tackle would make it even better. But I think Drake Nevis would be wasted. He might have the ability to do what Antonio Smith does, but I think he's at his best as a three-tech tackle.

I don't know why people are so enamored with the 3-4. Good defense is good defense, regardless of the configuration.

By hybrid 4-3, I kind of mean like a flexible type of defense. One that can use the base, the over, the under, one that can use 3 down lineman at times. A defense that can change and adapt. Man coverage, zone coverage, blitzing, whatever fits the situation best.

By hybrid 4-3, I kind of mean like a flexible type of defense. One that can use the base, the over, the under, one that can use 3 down lineman at times. A defense that can change and adapt. Man coverage, zone coverage, blitzing, whatever fits the situation best.

I appreciate an adaptable defense, absolutely. Just don't think it takes any particular configuration to do that.

3-4 and 4-3 are just number of people on the at certain positions. Each scheme can run nearly the same plays. I think the differences that need to be made are in gap responsibilities, spacing, blitzes, coverage, assignments, and the such. Those things can be changed within a 4-3 and be just as effective. The Colts also have young enough personnel of decent enough talent (obviously they can get better into the future) to give them a decent foundation towards keep a 4-3. I think people think of a 3-4 as a wild departure and a completely different beast, even though that's not necessarily the case. They can and usually do require a bit of a different skill set, but that's majorly due to gap responsibility. The Ravens in 2001, for example, effectively ran 3-4 gap responsibility in a 4-3 scheme. I'm not convinced that a 3-4 is necessarily more effective, just that 3-4 teams tend to emphasize more on defense. I think what you most often find is 3-4s tend to emphasize their linebackers by putting less responsibility on one or two of them (like many 4-3 end).

That's what i have in mind. Not really going all out into a 34 defense, but have the personnel to make in game changes, to confuse and rattle the QB. A hybrid that can play all aspects of 43 defense, along with some 34 to give off a different look would be awesome. I love the way the Giants and Jaguars kinda ran their 43 defense btw, they played it different , but to their strengths.

That's what i have in mind. Not really going all out into a 34 defense, but have the personnel to make in game changes, to confuse and rattle the QB. A hybrid that can play all aspects of 43 defense, along with some 34 to give off a different look would be awesome. I love the way the Giants and Jaguars kinda ran their 43 defense btw, they played it different , but to their strengths.

I really like how the Giants and the LSU Tigers run their 4-3 defenses.