Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Pagano being too easy on team?

BProland85

Rick Venturi was discussing this the other day saying that the Colts were out physicalled by the Bills in their last preseason game and that could reflect into the types of practices and training camps Indy runs. I for one would like to see the Colts OL start manhandling DLs, instead of getting no push in the run game as evident in past years. 

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Rick Venturi was discussing this the other day saying that the Colts were out physicalled by the Bills in their last preseason game and that could reflect into the types of practices and training camps Indy runs. I for one would like to see the Colts OL start manhandling DLs, instead of getting no push in the run game as evident in past years. 

It was a pre season game. We did not come close to seeing what this team is made of. Of all people Venturi should know that.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It was a pre season game. We did not come close to seeing what this team is made of. Of all people Venturi should know that.

1) I think that Venturi is more than aware of that.  Nobody with half an ounce of a football IQ believes that what you see in 1 or 2 series in the first preseason game is definitive evidence of what you will see in the regular season

2) Still does not mean that they did not get completely physically pushed around when it was ones against the ones.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

No reason to show your hand in a meaningless game. Be more worried if it happens vs the lions

I have nothing against you 91, as you are a very good poster, but I hate this saying and attitude. You should be  worried if it happens in the preseason because A.) The team is just out matched (especially the O-Line), or B.) They aren't giving much effort (which needs to be fixed in the preseason). It's like me practicing poker, losing to my friends for $50, then going to the WSOP and losing 3 consecutive $1,000 tournaments and then getting worried that I might not be good enough. You have to spot the problem immediately, fix it, and improve upon it! That's what preseason is for, to fix the weaknesses of the team, not worry about them when they happen in the regular season, panic, and try to fix them when it's too late with a bunch of different lineup combinations. That's losing football, and a losing mindset by Pagano, if it is indeed, his attitude.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have nothing against you 91, as you are a very good poster, but I hate this saying and attitude. You should be  worried if it happens in the preseason because A.) The team is just out matched (especially the O-Line), or B.) They aren't giving much effort (which needs to be fixed in the preseason). It's like me practicing poker, losing to my friends for $50, then going to the WSOP and losing 3 consecutive $1,000 tournaments and then getting worried that I might not be good enough. You have to spot the problem immediately, fix it, and improve upon it! That's what preseason is for, to fix the weaknesses of the team, not worry about them when they happen in the regular season, panic, and try to fix them when it's too late when a bunch of different lineup combinations. That's losing football, and a losing mindset by Pagano, if it is indeed, his attitude.

I think he meant in terms of the fans perspective. Obviously the team is working on fixing it's mistakes. I mean like you said, that's what the preseason is for. But we as fans probably shouldn't be concerned until it actually happens in the real games. 

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

I think he meant in terms of the fans perspective. Obviously the team is working on fixing it's mistakes. I mean like you said, that's what the preseason is for. But we as fans probably shouldn't be concerned until it actually happens in the real games. 

I guess i worry about it early because I'm that type of competitive person who notices patterns and wants to be prepared ahead of time. I also am not at the point yet where I trust the new coaches will make the proper adjustments right away. I'm not at a point where I don't trust them at all, they deserve the benefit until they fail, but a lot will be told tonight vs the Ravens to see where we are at.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I guess i worry about it early because I'm that type of competitive person who notices patterns and wants to be prepared ahead of time. I also am not at the point yet where I trust the new coaches will make the proper adjustments right away. I'm not at a point where I don't trust them at all, they deserve the benefit until they fail, but a lot will be told tonight vs the Ravens to see where we are at.

We'll, I'm more like you. I tend to worry about this team even if it's off-season workouts. I guess it's more a degree of worry. Yes right now I am worried but I'd be a lot more worried if it was week one of the regular season. I think it's just the fact that us fans are pretty helpless in trying to make this team better. 

When the Colts made the change to Pagano, I was disappointed because I loved the character of Coach Dungy. But the more I see/hear Coach Pagano, the more I respect him.

Some will point to the gaff in the NE game as prove of his ineptness but he'd be the first to it was a mistake and it's a play that we won't see again.

He went through a lot with the cancer and is not a quitter. He expects the same from his players. I know people find his sayings dogmatic : keep chopping wood, iron sharpens iron, etc, etc. but overall, there is no quit in him or the team. 

The TC's ran now are fine in my opinion now.  The Oklahoma Drill was ran at least once that I remember which I like...But only once which I didn't like. I do think the O Line will still have problems running the ball. Technique was an issue in game 1 across the board. The Bills D Line was the aggressors at the LOS clearly meeting our O Linemen at the point of attack across the board instead our O Linemen taking the fight to the Bills D Line. Lack of communication was an issue on a few plays. Lots of technique problems is why we cant run the ball mostly centered around footwork after contact and getting under D Linemens pads

Here is a great explanation of how to drive block

We have to keep in mind that the offense is learning a new system. The OL is also learning a new blocking scheme. The OL also has 4 new drafted rookies plus however many UDFAs. 

And they were going against one of the best front 7s in the NFL.  

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

We have to keep in mind that the offense is learning a new system. The OL is also learning a new blocking scheme. The OL also has 4 new drafted rookies plus however many UDFAs. 

Zone blocking is pretty well universally known at the college level on up to the pros. Nothing they should not know already. Also 4 drafted rookies were not starting tonight. Only 1

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have nothing against you 91, as you are a very good poster, but I hate this saying and attitude. You should be  worried if it happens in the preseason because A.) The team is just out matched (especially the O-Line), or B.) They aren't giving much effort (which needs to be fixed in the preseason). It's like me practicing poker, losing to my friends for $50, then going to the WSOP and losing 3 consecutive $1,000 tournaments and then getting worried that I might not be good enough. You have to spot the problem immediately, fix it, and improve upon it! That's what preseason is for, to fix the weaknesses of the team, not worry about them when they happen in the regular season, panic, and try to fix them when it's too late with a bunch of different lineup combinations. That's losing football, and a losing mindset by Pagano, if it is indeed, his attitude.

the preseason in essence is where you should be making mistakes. you have teams that go 4-0 in the preseason and then amount to nothing when it really counts. we have never been a good preseason team and im fine with that. I rather win and perform well when it really matters. if it means anything, luck and co looked really good in their two drives

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Zone blocking is pretty well universally known at the college level on up to the pros. Nothing they should not know already. Also 4 drafted rookies were not starting tonight. Only 1

Show me where I said 4 rookies were STARTING on the OL.

No one here hears Chuck in the locker room, team meetings, or practice.  We hear some sound bits of a presser every week where he's not going to toss people under the bus.  We have no idea if he's too soft on them or not.  What we do know is that the players like him and really wanted him back, including a guy like Mathis who spent a good chunk of his career under a Hall of Fame coach and knows he's on his last legs in terms of a chance to win.  So he of all people would want a coach he thinks can win and knows what one is in this league, if he didn't think Chuck was one of those guys and was too soft on guys I don't think he would have pushed for Chuck's return.

Think whatever you want but Pagano has been over his head as a Head coach from day one.

How many games has this team come out totally unprepared under Pagano.

During Pagano's entire time with the Colts there's been a ZERO running game.

He hasn't corrected either of the above while being the Colts head coach.

I get that this is a passing league but year after year without a balanced offense is just stupid.

Remember when Manning could play action to the Edge and freeze the defense. Then throw, seems like 1000

years ago.

26 minutes ago, George Costanza III said:

Think whatever you want but Pagano has been over his head as a Head coach from day one.

I get that this is a passing league but year after year without a balanced offense is just stupid.

Remember when Manning could play action to the Edge and freeze the defense. Then throw, seems like 1000

years ago.

Another 5 years of this:hissy:

1 hour ago, George Costanza III said:

years ago.

No it was 11 or 12 years ago. The Colts won a super bowl after James left. You want to throw Pagano under the bus but might as well throw Dungy under the bus too because his running games wasn't much better. Part of the lack of a running game was because the lack of an average offensive line. That was all on Grigson, not Pagano. Pagano can only coach the players on the team.

19 hours ago, jskinnz said:

1) I think that Venturi is more than aware of that.  Nobody with half an ounce of a football IQ believes that what you see in 1 or 2 series in the first preseason game is definitive evidence of what you will see in the regular season

2) Still does not mean that they did not get completely physically pushed around when it was ones against the ones.

I've never listened to anyone who knows the game better then Venturi. So I put a lot of clout in what he says. But it was to early to make that assumption and we were much more physical last night against the Ravens.   

5 hours ago, George Costanza III said:

years ago.

Zero running game? Really? Am I huffing glue or didn't gore get pretty damned close to 1000 yards last season? 

More whiny hyperbolic nonsense masquerading (horribly) as legitimate criticism. 

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

No it was 11 or 12 years ago. The Colts won a super bowl after James left. You want to throw Pagano under the bus but might as well throw Dungy under the bus too because his running games wasn't much better. Part of the lack of a running game was because the lack of an average offensive line. That was all on Grigson, not Pagano. Pagano can only coach the players on the team.

That's why there's only one Indy Super bowl. No running game and no defense.

Pagano was the big mouth that came to Indy with "Run the Ball & Stop the Run" So far he's done neither.

Blame it on Grigson all you want and rightly so. But I don't hear you saying a word about a Pagano coached

team that shows up several times a year UNPREPARED. Now I get you've only been a Colts fan for 5 minutes

But there's no excuse for not having your team prepared. Have you missed the last four slaughters vs the Patriots? How about vs the Rams,Cards,Cowboys,Steelers.? Pagano sure had the Colts honed to a knifes edge in those games. NOT

This team hasn't run the ball in at least a decade. Pagano came here saying his team would---LIAR.

Pagano is/was supposed to be A DEFENSIVE COACH. Ha Ha that's funny 26th ranked defense last year.

Blame Grigson all you want sooner or later you have to play the cards you're dealt

53 minutes ago, George Costanza III said:

That's why there's only one Indy Super bowl. No running game and no defense.

Pagano was the big mouth that came to Indy with "Run the Ball & Stop the Run" So far he's done neither.

Blame it on Grigson all you want and rightly so. But I don't hear you saying a word about a Pagano coached

team that shows up several times a year UNPREPARED. Now I get you've only been a Colts fan for 5 minutes

But there's no excuse for not having your team prepared. Have you missed the last four slaughters vs the Patriots? How about vs the Rams,Cards,Cowboys,Steelers.? Pagano sure had the Colts honed to a knifes edge in those games. NOT

This team hasn't run the ball in at least a decade. Pagano came here saying his team would---LIAR.

Pagano is/was supposed to be A DEFENSIVE COACH. Ha Ha that's funny 26th ranked defense last year.

Blame Grigson all you want sooner or later you have to play the cards you're dealt

Then explain why the Colts under Pagano and Grigson achieved what they did in their first 4 years. Went from a 2-14 team to three 11-5 seasons all with a total new team. Oh by the way that is a better start than Jim Mora and Bill Polian had.

A head coach can only do so much as far as prepping to play a team. Bottom line it is up to the players to make plays.

It's easy for you to hand pick the negative things rather than mention the positive things. Was the Colts unprepared when they beat an undefeated super bowl winner with the Bronco's?

So I have been a Colt fan for 5 minutes? I would be willing to bet I have been a Colt fan before you were born. You have been a member of this forum for 5 minutes and all you want to do is come in here and rag on the Colts. Feel free and knock yourself out.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, Jason_S said:

Logic don't mean much to some.

1 hour ago, George Costanza III said:

Sure I will because after all the Colts are perfect. Won every game every year.

Don't say anything bad because_____?

Hmm, I don't recall the post that you quoted being directed at you. It was very intentionally and specifically directed at the person I quoted.

*edit...after reading your long winded whiny butt hyperbolic rant, feel free to disregard what I said above and include yourself as part of the colts8718 audience.  And it has nothing to do with you having criticisms of the team, far from it. It's for your apparent inability to express those criticisms without sounding like a petulant brat. :)

22 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Zero running game? Really? Am I huffing glue or didn't gore get pretty damned close to 1000 yards last season? 

More whiny hyperbolic nonsense masquerading (horribly) as legitimate criticism. 

Close to a 1000 yards?  What's that like 65 yards a game?

im so impressed