Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any veterans on the bubble?

Pacergeek

12 minutes ago, twfish said:

Art Jones, Thornton, harrison. A surprise cut could possibly be butler if the CB's behind him ball out but it's not likely

Doubtful, Jones contract isn't much and even with the suspension they are going to need him.

Thornton is probably very much on the bubble and not being available isn't helping him.

i think they keep Harrison as they already have one rookie center I doubt they go into the season with two with no real NFL experience.

I think Butler is safe.  If Smith were a sure thing he might be in some trouble but Smith has been anything but a sure thing due to his injury problems.  Also Butler is getting some reps at safety and they might need that depending on how long Gathers is out.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Doubtful, Jones contract isn't much and even with the suspension they are going to need him.

Thornton is probably very much on the bubble and not being available isn't helping him.

i think they keep Harrison as they already have one rookie center I doubt they go into the season with two with no real NFL experience.

I think Butler is safe.  If Smith were a sure thing he might be in some trouble but Smith has been anything but a sure thing due to his injury problems.  Also Butler is getting some reps at safety and they might need that depending on how long Gathers is out.

While I fully agree with you I just listed all the possible veterans in my mind that could be on the bubble, otherwise you said everything I would say, so good post haha

Just now, twfish said:

While I fully agree with you I just listed all the possible veterans in my mind that could be on the bubble, otherwise you said everything I would say, so good post haha

Yeah honestly they already got ride of most of their would be bubble vets like Werner and Holmes.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah honestly they already got ride of most of their would be bubble vets like Werner and Holmes.

Right, most everyone else is young and improving or veterans that are still producing a relative high rate. Kind of refreshing when you look at the roster like that honestly

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Mitchel is recovering from some hamstring issues too so the depth is being tested.  Believe you are right about Butler being safe.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You're probably correct. But man, I can not wait for the day when we don't have to think about Harrison playing another snap at center. What a trainwreck.

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ack.. the only one I really care about them getting rid of is Harrison... please let's not get stuck starting him somewhere again.. let's keep the rookies and coach them up to their potential... Harrison needs to go. Thornton likely as well.  

I would agree with others.  Harrison and Thornton are on the bubble here.  

Harrison is gonna have to beat out Blythe for the backup center job if he wants to stay on the roster.  But if he keeps messing up the snaps that might be hard to do.

Thornton I'm convinced is gonna need to outright win the starting job at RG.  It seems like the coaching staff wants to use Haeg as a swingman backup.  Probably to help develop him and see if he can't be starter material later on.  So if Thornton get's beat out by say Goode, then the coaching staff may consider Haeg to be Goode's backup and send Thornton packing.  

On the defensive side I would say most of the vets are pretty safe.  Jones might be in some danger but with injuries we've had on D-line, we will probably need his depth.  

Maybe some of the lower level linebackers like McNary could be in danger too.  But not really anyone who started on last year's team is likely to be in danger.  

I believe Butler is safe due to position flexibility of both Corner and Safety.  Thornton will be released as soon as he clears injury to much potential behind him for another 1 year prove it deal.  I would say Harrison is also at risk and the only thing that is an advantage is his experience and low salary cap. I would say that Trent Cole is another risk depending on how these Rushing linebackers do in preseason. 

-Guy

-Todman

-Alot of people will disagree but I say Walden. He is nothing more than serviceable against the run and pass. Not great at either and I think a couple of the rookies have a higher upside 

-Nate Irving

-Jalil Brown

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Art Jones in my opinion. Judging by his latest suspension and ankle injury, he may be on the bubble. I hope we hang onto him for the season though and try to get some use out of him. Do whatever they wish with him after this season.

I agree, I don't see the point in cutting him now, there isn't much out there to use the money on, and we have enough cap space anyways. 

When he's healthy, he is one of our top 3 defensive lineman, easily. He's a good player and has been a difference maker on the field for us, when healthy. Yes, he has had some issues staying on the field. But this could be the year that he is finally be healthy for us down the stretch and into the playoffs? Its worth taking one more chance on him. I don't think he will get released this year or they would have done it already, once they learned about the suspension.

3 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I don't see how Thornton makes it

Just because he may not start doesn't mean he can't make the roster as a back-up.

That would be my preference......    cutting him because he doesn't start seems penny-wise and pound-foolish to me.....

50 minutes ago, Gavin said:

-Guy

-Todman

-Alot of people will disagree but I say Walden. He is nothing more than serviceable against the run and pass. Not great at either and I think a couple of the rookies have a higher upside 

-Nate Irving

-Jalil Brown

Walden is going nowhere, i think he is a solid starter

14 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

I always find it interesting when veteran players, guys that have played here for a few seasons, get released before the first regular season game. Khaled Holmes didn't make it to training camp. Anybody else in danger of not making the roster?

Trent Cole

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Ack.. the only one I really care about them getting rid of is Harrison... please let's not get stuck starting him somewhere again.. let's keep the rookies and coach them up to their potential... Harrison needs to go. Thornton likely as well.  

Agreed about Thronton, but I don't mind Harrison nearly as much now as I did last year. He's doing what he should've been doing his whole career, being a second string lineman. It's easy to take for granted, but having a backup with 2 years of NFL starting experience is actually pretty valuable. At least we know he's somewhat serviceable, and with Chud calling the shots on offense now, I'm actually confident that he'd scheme accordingly if we were to have an injury or 2 along the offensive line.

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

-Guy

-Todman

-Nate Irving

-Jalil Brown

Walden is definitely better than "serviceable" against the run.  

1. Thorton-Injured too often, subpar when healthy, loves to hold , and questionable toughness. Could get beat out by Haeg or Good.

2. Harrison-Just a poor center overall. Also might not be as good a fit in the new zone friendly scheme.

3. Nate Irving-Hasn't done much since he's been here. Sio is more flexible and Morrison is the likely successor to Jackson. Plus there's some young depth behind him. Health is also a concern.

5. Arthur Jones- Henry Anderson and Langford will be back eventually. I expect Ridgeway will show out in pre-season. After that, Jones is basically the odd man out IMO.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Serviceable. Ok. Average. Any of those would describe Walden against the run. Not greatgreat

Still disagree with you. There are still a few more adjectives that could be between "average" and "great".  Unless that is of course unless you're grading on a 3 point scale where 1 is terrible, 2 is ok/average/serviceable, and 3 is great.

18 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Still disagree with you. There are still a few more adjectives that could be between "average" and "great".  Unless that is of course unless you're grading on a 3 point scale where 1 is terrible, 2 is ok/average/serviceable, and 3 is great.

Well I could use Pro football Focuses grading scale to be more clear

90-100: Elite

89-85: Pro Bowler

70-84: Starter (This is where Walden would fit in and does on there scale. His grade is 74.8. This to me is average. Not below average and not close to horrible)

60-69: Backup

0-59: Replaceable

I think many times when people judge a players play particularly with star players they take it for granted well so and so was great in 1 area the year before so he must be great this year in that same area.

Which isn't always the case. People should be judging a player in my opinion on a year to year basis. You cant say for example well Castonzo had a great year pass blocking in 2014 so he also had a great year in 2015. Two different seasons and 15 different games then the ones in 2014. Just all for example

Probably only Thornton.  RG seems to be the position where rookies and youngsters are doing well enough to push a vet.  Haeg and Good.

Ridgeway hasn't done much and Anderson is still recovering so I don't see them cutting Jones.

I don't think the ILBs are doing much to think DQ will be cut.  Besides, I think DQ becomes more of a part time player this year anyway.

23 hours ago, Gavin said:

Well I could use Pro football Focuses grading scale to be more clear

90-100: Elite

89-85: Pro Bowler

70-84: Starter (This is where Walden would fit in and does on there scale. His grade is 74.8. This to me is average. Not below average and not close to horrible)

60-69: Backup

0-59: Replaceable

I think many times when people judge a players play particularly with star players they take it for granted well so and so was great in 1 area the year before so he must be great this year in that same area.

Which isn't always the case. People should be judging a player in my opinion on a year to year basis. You cant say for example well Castonzo had a great year pass blocking in 2014 so he also had a great year in 2015. Two different seasons and 15 different games then the ones in 2014. Just all for example

Once again, you're trying too hard to outsmart the room...and failing. :P