Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recent Signings

Korey

What are you thoughts about the latest FA signings?

Tommy Harris amazing DT!!!! (if Healthy)

I like the Ernie Sims and Jamaal Anderson signings. Mixed about the Tommie Harris one. If he turns out to be somewhat productive, then I'll be excited. Talking to a lot of Bears fans, this guy has been physically done for 5 years.

Great to see them try to improve the roster with some low risk guys if they don't pan out. Awesome! Chances are one of them will have a big contribution and the Colts are a big contributor or two away from being dominant. Lets hope the other guy to step up is one of our rookie OL.

Sims fits good with our system, smaller faster LB's in the Tampa 2. Harris is done, great when he first got in the league, but nothing left from his bad knees. Anderson to me isn't any better than a FA signing from Akron, just camp traffic.

I really like the Sims signing. Not too excited about Anderson or Harris. Anderson has never done anything to make me think he can actually provide anything to the defense(hope im wrong), and Harris has been done for a few yrs. now. Don't know if he will even make the final roster.

I like our D-Lines Versatility with Anderson who will play DE/DT and hopefully be in there on some first downs (due to freeney taking himself out of a play by trying to constantly rush the passer on every down) Anderson will def be in there on 3rd down to rush the passer for sure. Harris on the other hand i would like to see him healthy. He should compete for the second DT starting spot on our team with Moala. Sims fits right in as a speedy LB. Now Angerer can be used for depth at the LB spot which is good. :coltshorse:

I like our D-Lines Versatility with Anderson who will play DE/DT and hopefully be in there on some first downs (due to freeney taking himself out of a play by trying to constantly rush the passer on every down) Anderson will def be in there on 3rd down to rush the passer for sure.

Did you sign a different Anderson or are you talking about Jamaal Anderson? JA couldn't find a sack in a grocery store and he couldn't keep his role last year as a rotational DT or a starting DE. He has put up worst numbers than anyone in his draft class that got even minimal playing time and may be the worst first round DE of all time, to be fair though we didn't go back more than 20 years.

Of course since we play you this year I hope to see Anderson out there...

Did you sign a different Anderson or are you talking about Jamaal Anderson? JA couldn't find a sack in a grocery store and he couldn't keep his role last year as a rotational DT or a starting DE. He has put up worst numbers than anyone in his draft class that got even minimal playing time and may be the worst first round DE of all time, to be fair though we didn't go back more than 20 years.

Of course since we play you this year I hope to see Anderson out there...

Well when you are playing behing Abraham and Bierman who are pretty D :shout: mn good, you are prob not gonna be on the field for long. but never the less the 2 sacks he got last year are more than my DT's got last year :rules:

Well when you are playing behing Abraham and Bierman who are pretty D :shout: mn good, you are prob not gonna be on the field for long. but never the less the 2 sacks he got last year are more than my DT's got last year :rules:

He was on the field last year a lot more than you think for his weak numbers. Biermann is weaker against the run than Anderson or Davis so he mostly played passing downs. The guy is a model citizen but he is slow and lacks technique. He is a camp star though which is why he kept his job for too long. Every year we would hear about how great he was doing in camp and then he would go on to have 3 maybe 4 good games against weak OL opponents. To find him after the whistle look for him to be about 8 inches from where he lined up, often on the ground.

But hey, if all Colts fans are as easy to please he should have a nice run with you guys.

He was on the field last year a lot more than you think for his weak numbers. Biermann is weaker against the run than Anderson or Davis so he mostly played passing downs. The guy is a model citizen but he is slow and lacks technique. He is a camp star though which is why he kept his job for too long. Every year we would hear about how great he was doing in camp and then he would go on to have 3 maybe 4 good games against weak OL opponents. To find him after the whistle look for him to be about 8 inches from where he lined up, often on the ground.

But hey, if all Colts fans are as easy to please he should have a nice run with you guys.

Hmmmm.... have you seen who we've been fielding at DT in Indy?

In any regard, I couldn't care less whether he gets the sacks. I just want him to stop the run. Any QB sacks/pressures he gets, is just icing on the cake.

easy to please ehh....Playoffs are expected in indy unlike other place who just made it back there recently cough cough....Atlanta, but hopefully he makes a postivie contribution especially against you guys this year

Hmmmm.... have you seen who we've been fielding at DT in Indy?

In any regard, I couldn't care less whether he gets the sacks. I just want him to stop the run. Any QB sacks/pressures he gets, is just icing on the cake.

You are the Colts. One of the most desirable locations for any FA on the market. Players would take less money to play for you because you are in the hunt for a SB every stinking year. You could have probably taken Edwards away from us. 1) You must have had the opportunity to do better and 2) If Anderson is indeed an upgrade someone has seriously dropped the ball.

I love that all of the free agent additions are on the defensive side of the ball. I'm really hoping 1, 2, or maybe even all of them will make an impact. The way I see it is that if even one of these guys have a great year it was well worth the signings.

easy to please ehh....Playoffs are expected in indy unlike other place who just made it back there recently cough cough....Atlanta, but hopefully he makes a postivie contribution especially against you guys this year

We expect it, it just doesn't happen as often as we would have liked over the years. :ashamed:

I think we are on the right track now though. Much like you and every other one and done top offense last year we are really hoping this is the year our defense comes together and we can make a real run at a SB. I think we have most of the pieces now that we have upgraded our pass rush I just hope they can stay healthy.

Ernie Simms is at least equal to if not an upgrade from Clint Sessions. I have no beef with Sessions and enjoyed watching him play but I still think Simms is an upgrade and wouldn't be surprised if he makes the starting lineup in place of Kavell Connor or possibly Angerer, though I would lean more towards Connor.

Jamal Anderson and Tommie Harris are, imo, an upgrade over the combination of Keyunta Dawson and Dan Muir. I had nothing against Muir and didn't really want to see a big body go, but at the same time it's not like he's been spectacular either. Dawson played more as DT but also sometimes as DE but at 6'3" and only 254 lbs he had no business playing in the middle. As a backup at DE I was pleased with him but they played him too much in the middle. At 6'6" and 289 lbs Anderson gives us a bigger body to play inside and to help spell at DE. Not taking talent levels into consideration at all, I'm happy with the fact that he's a bigger body to put inside than Dawson.

As for Tommie Harris, can he be an upgrade to Muir? Well that all depends on how healthy Tommie Harris can be. But like someone pointed out in another thread, even if Harris can't stay healthy, he could be an excellent mentor for our other DT's. Muir was with us for 3 years in our system. Harris spent 7 years in Chicago in a very similar, if not identical system and made the Pro Bowl multiple times. So from a mentor perspective alone he will be worth the money. If he can stay healthy then maybe the change in scenery will inspire him back into at least something resembling his early form. I am incredibly excited about the signing of Harris personally. Heck if he winds up not being able to play, maybe move him into an Assistant coaching type role. Just spit-balling on that last part. lol

Ultimately I am very pleased and excited with the signings. In years past, we have lost players (a norm) but not necessarily gone into FA to try and replace them, instead counting on our younger players to fill the voids. At least now we have more options.

You are the Colts. One of the most desirable locations for any FA on the market. Players would take less money to play for you because you are in the hunt for a SB every stinking year. You could have probably taken Edwards away from us. 1) You must have had the opportunity to do better and 2) If Anderson is indeed an upgrade someone has seriously dropped the ball.

This.

Honestly, though, I don't think he's much of an upgrade. But he has a chance to shore up our run D, which has historically been terrible every year.

That is just ridiculous. If that were the case then why does every superbowl winning team always seem to lose at least one or 2 good players to lesser teams for bigger contracts? If that were true, we wouldn't have lost Dominic Rhodes the year after we won the SB to the Raiders. Clint Sessions and Charlie Johnson would have taken less money to stay here instead of going to Jacksonville and Minnesota respectively. Randy Moss would have had his agent contact Polian and offer to play for a miniscule contract instead of retiring. These are just a couple of examples but I could give hundreds more if necessary. ;)

That is just ridiculous. If that were the case then why does every superbowl winning team always seem to lose at least one or 2 good players to lesser teams for bigger contracts? If that were true, we wouldn't have lost Dominic Rhodes the year after we won the SB to the Raiders. Clint Sessions and Charlie Johnson would have taken less money to stay here instead of going to Jacksonville and Minnesota respectively. Randy Moss would have had his agent contact Polian and offer to play for a miniscule contract instead of retiring. These are just a couple of examples but I could give hundreds more if necessary. ;)

You are always going to have cap restrictions that don't allow a team to retain all of its members. But let's put it this way... top FAs usually want A LOT more money to go to teams that they believe have no shot in the near future. Look at the truck load of money Carolina had to give Johnson to stay this year and compare that with the relative bargain for which we got Edwards. The Texans were reportedly offering Aso more than his contract with Philly.

An opportunity to start and/or an opportunity to win a SB will keep you in the running with an FA even if you aren't always the top dollar. Of course there will be exceptions for players who just want to get paid.

You are always going to have cap restrictions that don't allow a team to retain all of its members. But let's put it this way... top FAs usually want A LOT more money to go to teams that they believe have no shot in the near future. Look at the truck load of money Carolina had to give Johnson to stay this year and compare that with the relative bargain for which we got Edwards. The Texans were reportedly offering Aso more than his contract with Philly.

An opportunity to start and/or an opportunity to win a SB will keep you in the running with an FA even if you aren't always the top dollar. Of course there will be exceptions for players who just want to get paid.

Exactly, the point is that the player has to decide if they want to play for money or play for a championship because it's not often that they'll be able to do both...especially as an UFA. Some players just want to make top dollar and don't care about winning a SB while others are willing to take less money to have a chance at a championship. I was just saying that the fact that the colts are always contenders means we could have a chance with any FA is simply not even close to true, because the player himself has to decide what his top priority is.

Exactly, the point is that the player has to decide if they want to play for money or play for a championship because it's not often that they'll be able to do both...especially as an UFA. Some players just want to make top dollar and don't care about winning a SB while others are willing to take less money to have a chance at a championship. I was just saying that the fact that the colts are always contenders means we could have a chance with any FA is simply not even close to true, because the player himself has to decide what his top priority is.

I think more often than not your top UFAs are looking for money and a/another ring.

But to clarify... I didn't mean to suggest that if the Colts were in a bidding war with the Browns and offering 50 percent less the player would sign with you anyway. I would suggest that if the money is less but in the ballpark you would have still have a good shot at landing the FA.

By my count the Harris signing brings the roster to 89..........that means we have room for one more guy. Wondering if there will be a Safety or a Corner signed shortly?

Good call. I didn't know we had so many already. I was hoping for a CB and safety....I guess that won't happen if we only have one more roster spot.

I think more often than not your top UFAs are looking for money and a/another ring.

But to clarify... I didn't mean to suggest that if the Colts were in a bidding war with the Browns and offering 50 percent less the player would sign with you anyway. I would suggest that if the money is less but in the ballpark you would have still have a good shot at landing the FA.

This makes a lot more sense and I can agree with this much more than your first post. :)