Turf Issues

IndyD4U

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a stinging column from ESPN's NFL writer, Kevin Seifert.

He puts the screws to everyone on a level you rarely see.    

Bottom line:    This is a black eye for the league that the NFL has to own.    And that something like this should never EVER happen again.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/209207/nfl-must-own-its-latest-embarrassment-not-shift-the-blame

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

They did..... they used the field from the super bowl according to ESPN sports center

Okay, maybe what I heard was incorrect.  My impression from what I had heard was that it was the same field that had been there for several years.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

Okay, maybe what I heard was incorrect.  My impression from what I had heard was that it was the same field that had been there for several years.

It came from New Orleans & was played on last season with no problems .

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/8/7/12399770/the-hall-of-fame-game-turf-came-from-the-new-orleans-superdome

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But I think anyone who bought hotel rooms and rented cars or flew in will be stuck on that one.      I hope not,  I hope I'm wrong.    But I don't see the NFL eating those for the fans.     It would be nice if they did.

I bet there are lawyers lining up for a class action suit.  May not get anywhere, but I would be really suprised if no one sues.  

9 hours ago, Gavin said:

Definitly could happen. Risky no doubt but they have played in the past in extremely muddy conditions. Of course it could said those situations in the past is why they canceled the game now. So I get it

I wanted to watch the game also. Very disappointing .

I'm still wondering why they couldn't have rescheduled the thing for Monday Night Football.  I mean there are still people visiting the Hall of Fame right now even after the game was cancelled. Don't see why they couldn't have fixed the field by the next day.  Or move to another venue locally.   Oh well......

14 hours ago, krunk said:

The thing that really irks me about this is I think the next two preseason games aren't even televised other than maybe locally in Indy so folks like myself who live in Texas won't be able to see anything live until we play the Ravens.  That game will be on CBS.

I think the next 2 are on fox locally in Indy and they stream the games on the website. At least they did last year when one was on fox. 

14 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think the next 2 are on fox locally in Indy and they stream the games on the website. At least they did last year when one was on fox. 

I don't recall them streaming last year, but I could certainly be wrong.  If they do it this year that would be cool.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm still wondering why they couldn't have rescheduled the thing for Monday Night Football.  I mean there are still people visiting the Hall of Fame right now even after the game was cancelled. Don't see why they couldn't have fixed the field by the next day.  Or move to another venue locally.   Oh well......

Because the colts play again Thursday

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Are you sure?  I thought we played the Bills on Saturday.

Yeah I just checked. We play the Bills on August 13.

Colts also have 2 more days of TC Tuesday and Wednesday here and Anderson

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

Are you sure?  I thought we played the Bills on Saturday.

Yeah I just checked. We play the Bills on August 13.

Colts vs Bills   Sat the 13'th  7:00  on Fox 59 

Colts vs Ravens Sat the 20'th 7:00 on Fox 59 

Colts vs Eagles  Sat the 27'th 7 :00 on CBS 

Colts vs Bengals Thur Sept 1 at 7:30 on Fox 59

9 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Colts also have 2 more days of TC Tuesday and Wednesday here and Anderson

Probably would have been a tight squeeze, but no tighter than playing on Sunday and then turning around to play on Thursday night.   Oh well it's just preseason I guess.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Probably would have been a tight squeeze, but no tighter than playing on Sunday and then turning around to play on Thursday night.   Oh well it's just preseason I guess.

They most likely would have to have practiced today had a travel day tomorrow and arrived on Wednesday and play Thursday. It would be pushing it

Here is the way things should be done:

Design a field turf.

Submit for approval by qualified people on the ideas and products to qualified engineers and other technical disciplines for them to exam, review and test and re-test.

Once thoroughly tested and approved by all parties then stamp "ACCEPT" on all pertinent documents and then and only then play the game.

Here is what happened on the turf at the Hall of Fame game project last night: " Hey Bubba get in yer truck and go to Wal-Mart and buy some paint fer da field fer tonight's game and get the cheapest stuff you can find".

Result: Cancelled!!

If the NFL is so concerned with player safety, who was watching the store when the paint was ordered and purchased??

The NFL has a section on fields-

http://operations.nfl.com/the-game/gameday-behind-the-scenes/nfl-field-certification

But the HOF is slightly separate and run things a touch different.  Unfortunately, different as in Not a Good Way.  Last year the field was bad too, but they played.  Shaun Suisham (Kicker) had his career end on that turf. Reportedly, there were many MCL sprains too.  The NFL should be more involved in field prep if they are going to showcase the start of the new league year on it.  No excuses.

33 minutes ago, Gavin said:

They most likely would have to have practiced today had a travel day tomorrow and arrived on Wednesday and play Thursday. It would be pushing it

No I was talking about playing the game today and then playing the Bills on Saturday 08132016.  There'd be one more day for recovery in that time frame than how they do things during the regular season with a Sunday game and then making a team turn around and play on Thursday.  It's preseason so I'll just have to get over it!

16 hours ago, Gavin said:

The players making the multimillions weren't going to play much really. Probably a series or two at most. I get safety and I am ok with the game being canceled but its not like they haven't played in worse conditions

No,  this is completely incorrect.       If you really believe this,  then you're not reading stories written on NFL.com and ESPN.        Canceling was not a hard decision.     Everyone agreed.

Players have not played on worse conditions.     The field was simply not playable.

You've been completely wrong throughout this thread.      And this is just the latest example.

Punt on this one.......

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No,  this is completely incorrect.       If you really believe this,  then you're not reading stories written on NFL.com and ESPN.        Canceling was not a hard decision.     Everyone agreed.

Players have not played on worse conditions.     The field was simply not playable.

You've been completely wrong throughout this thread.      And this is just the latest example.

Punt on this one.......

http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-10-bad-weather-games-in-nfl-history/

Of course the game was a risk and it could have been dangerous. But the only issues were the logo at the 50 yard line and the end zone paint. There has been far worse conditions. Its silly to say there haven't been worse conditions. Matter of opinion I suppose but I'd play on HoF field before I'd play in some of the conditions listed in that article

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Of course the game was a risk and it could have been dangerous. But the only issues were the logo at the 50 yard line and the end zone paint. There has been far worse conditions. Its silly to say there haven't been worse conditions. Matter of opinion I suppose but I'd play on HoF field before I'd play in some of the conditions listed in that article

The very fact that you take me to a link which has games played in snow, rain and cold tells me just how much you're not reading the stories and how much you really don't get how terrible the whole field was.

Punt.      This is not a winning argument for you.

32 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Pre-season games are boring. Like watching paint dry.....

You're mostly right except I am very interested in watching our rookies and entire line play.  You can learn some things watching the one on one battles...

18 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

The Colts and Packers play during the regular season don't they? The NFL fans who came today should be promised free tickets for that game. Seems like a fair enough trade if the NFL paid for mostly everything else too...

It's a nice thought , but what do they do with all those season ticket holders in GB ? 

21 hours ago, Gavin said:

Here is my question on the canceling of the game. Are they going to start canceling regular season games to if the field is screwed up or weather conditions put players at risk? Because if not then that is just being inconsistent. I get it and understand the concern but this game should be played I think because now you open it up for regular season games to be canceled in the future for field conditions not being perfect or inclement weather even.

Lets get these guys out and play. The reality is they are no more at risk of being hurt than they will be next week or the week after and so on. Its unfortunate for the fans that went and they should get a refund but that really could not be helped considering the joint decision to cancel it was not made till just a couple hours ago. Also when are they going to let the fans know? When kickoff actually is supposed to take place? Tell me the NFL is smarter then that or they at least have something planned

This has to be your worst post ever on this forum.  It's the equivalent of Whalen snapping the ball to Anderson.

You're really going to try to compare a fifth preseason game that means nothing to a game in the regular season that means something?  

You're really going to try to compare a field that had a paint job gone terribly wrong that is compared to running on tar to any other field?  And expect players to just suck it up and put their careers at risk for what?  To say they played in the HOF debacle game of 2016?

I agree with the poster who said you should try to delete this post because it is quite possibly the dumbest thing I think I've ever read. 

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

This was not cancelled over bad weather. With your reasoning I guess the teams could have just not played at the 50 yard line and stayed away from the end zones? Sorry G, I have to agree with a couple of other posters on here about your comments. This is one for the books for you. :dunno::scratch:

I really think Pre-season should only have 3 games anyway. You need 3 because you have guys trying to make the team and trying to prove themselves. Anything more than 3 is overkill and the risk of injuries are higher if you play more games. I would play the starters in the last one being the 3rd for maybe a Half or 3 Qtrs to get some rhythm and the 3rd game would be on a Thursday to give players a week and half of rest before the Regular Season.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This was not cancelled over bad weather. With your reasoning I guess the teams could have just not played at the 50 yard line and stayed away from the end zones? Sorry G, I have to agree with a couple of other posters on here about your comments. This is one for the books for you. :dunno::scratch:

My argument wasn't that there is no risk. I know there is risk. But the risk is the same as if two teams were playing in the snow in minus degree weather on ice. Just as easy to slip and fall and break something or worse. Either way very risky for a preseason game. But physically no more of a risk as if it was a regular season game. Same things could happen. Hey I agree with the decision to cancel the game even though when it was made I didn't like it. But lets not act like they would not be playing had this been a regular season game and that this is the most dangerous conditions NFL players/Coaches ever had the option of playing through

5 minutes ago, Gavin said:

My argument wasn't that there is no risk. I know there is risk. But the risk is the same as if two teams were playing in the snow in minus degree weather on ice. Just as easy to slip and fall and break something or worse. Either way very risky for a preseason game. But physically no more of a risk as if it was a regular season game. Same things could happen. Hey I agree with the decision to cancel the game even though when it was made I didn't like it. But lets not act like they would not be playing had this been a regular season game and that this is the most dangerous conditions NFL players/Coaches ever had the option of playing through

Had it been a Regular Season game the league would've cancelled it and just played it on Monday, JMO. No way teams can play on a field like it was last night, too dangerous/wrong paint of all things SMH.

12 minutes ago, Gavin said:

No.     Again,  no.

When you're playing in a game on a frozen field,  then, basically,  the whole field is frozen.

But that wasn't the case in yesterday's game.     The center of the field,  with the giant Hall of Fame logo,  with all the bad paint,  was frozen.      Same with the end zones.

But most of the rest of the field was like playing in tar or mud.....    pretty far away from a frozen field.

Just those two very different surfaces right next to each other makes the filed a hazard and unplayable.

Also,  whoever put the rubber pellets on the field apparently did a bad job....   because some parts of the field had way too much,  while other parts of the field had little to none at all.    Unprofessional and dangerous.

This wasn't a frozen field.     This wasn't a rainy muddy field.     This wasn't a snow field.

This was a mis-mosh of a giant mess filled with a variety of widely different types of problems all of which combined made the field unplayable.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Had it been a Regular Season game the league would've cancelled it and just played it on Monday, JMO. No way teams can play on a field like it was last night, too dangerous/wrong paint of all things SMH.

They even said it was possible and they could get it ready with a delay but there would still be a risk

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.     Again,  no.

When you're playing in a game on a frozen field,  then, basically,  the whole field is frozen.

But that wasn't the case in yesterday's game.     The center of the field,  with the giant Hall of Fame logo,  with all the bad paint,  was frozen.      Same with the end zones.

But most of the rest of the field was like playing in tar or mud.....    pretty far away from a frozen field.

Just those two very different surfaces right next to each other makes the filed a hazard and unplayable.

Also,  whoever put the rubber pellets on the field apparently did a bad job....   because some parts of the field had way too much,  while other parts of the field had little to none at all.    Unprofessional and dangerous.

This wasn't a frozen field.     This wasn't a rainy muddy field.     This wasn't a snow field.

This was a mis-mosh of a giant mess filled with a variety of widely different types of problems all of which combined made the field unplayable.

We agree that it was the right decision. That part we agree on. We also agree it would have been a huge risk. But we don't agree how dangerous the conditions were compared to lets say the ice bowl where players could have gotten front bit/hypothermia ect  on top of broke bones from slipping and sliding all over the field. That's fine no big deal to disagree. In the end the right decision was likely made. In end whether we agree or disagree the decision was handed down and no game was played. I'm just ready to move on to game 2 instead of continuing this debate the next three days

More interesting Colts related topics to discuss. Particularly ones we would agree on