IndyD4U

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They're going to get refunds for the game tickets.     An announcement will be put up on the HoF website within a few days.

Tickets to the game aren't that expensive.   Will the refund airfare,  hotels,  meals etc?    I would be livid had I gone

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They're going to get refunds for the game tickets.     An announcement will be put up on the HoF website within a few days.

IMO, they deserve more than just a refund for the game tickets.  Most probably traveled a fair distance to attend.

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

They better do something to fix it this time or the teams that will be slated for the game next year might not bother showing up. 

If they don't bring that field up to NFL standards, then move the game to the stadium of one of the participants.  I know they wouldn't want to do that, but enough is enough with these field issues.

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Tickets to the game aren't that expensive.   Will the refund airfare,  hotels,  meals etc?    I would be livid had I gone

Yes all the above, but what about all the hard working fans that rearranged there hole Sunday just to enjoy some Pre season football!

Well the game thread over there was on tap just like it was the regular season lol! The OP is all lets do this yeah! Then everybody else replies that's right yeah! Then after a few crickets 1 brave soul says something that suggests hmmmm this may not turn out like we planned, then it snowballs from there and by the last post of the thread we have something very different than the first post lol!!!!!!!!

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree with both Cynjin and JVan.    Fans deserve more than just game refunds.     I just don't think the NFL will do that.      I hope I'm wrong on that one....    but I don't see it happening.

We'll find out soon enough.....

It'd be impossible for them to cover the expenses of all fans. But I'm thinking a full refund plus free tickets to a game of their choice would be suffice.

41 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

They better do something to fix it this time or the teams that will be slated for the game next year might not bother showing up. 

The field should be held to the same standards as all the teams or no games should ever be scheduled there again who ever the grounds keeper is should resign there is no good excuse for this whatsoever . The HOF of the NFL owes to there fans & those HOF'ers there this weekend & those in the future this is a black eye once again for the NFL ,  This is'nt a JV league although its hard to tell with such a outcome ..PITIFUL is the word that springs to my mind .

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Here is my question on the canceling of the game. Are they going to start canceling regular season games to if the field is screwed up or weather conditions put players at risk? Because if not then that is just being inconsistent. I get it and understand the concern but this game should be played I think because now you open it up for regular season games to be canceled in the future for field conditions not being perfect or inclement weather even.

Lets get these guys out and play. The reality is they are no more at risk of being hurt than they will be next week or the week after and so on. Its unfortunate for the fans that went and they should get a refund but that really could not be helped considering the joint decision to cancel it was not made till just a couple hours ago. Also when are they going to let the fans know? When kickoff actually is supposed to take place? Tell me the NFL is smarter then that or they at least have something planned

If there is a way for you to delete this , I would do so. Saying they were at no more risk than any other week and should play the game is probably a position that is ... I'm lost for the right words.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Guess there was no way for them to maybe get the field fixed and move the game to Monday Night?

They were interviewing a league rep on tv and they said the field is ruint beyond repair. Not sure how paint would do that but that's what they said

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

They were interviewing a league rep on tv and they said the field is ruint beyond repair. Not sure how paint would do that but that's what they said

I'm just surprised they couldn't have moved the game to Monday Night and selected a different football venue. Maybe at a college or somewhere else.  My mind thought about delaying the game the same day and having it moved to another field, but that would be a lot of moving parts for the same day.  I think Monday Night Football would have gave them enough time to select a new venue. The only obstacle I could think of was people who had to get back to work on Monday would miss out.  Those people you could refund them.

Just now, krunk said:

I'm just surprised they couldn't have moved the game to Monday Night and selected a different football venue. Maybe at a college or somewhere else.

Logistics would be tough but yeah I agree, but the good news is that's one less game to risk meaningless injuries too. Granted I'd like to have had the game for the practice and to honor Marv and Dungy but oh well

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It'd be impossible for them to cover the expenses of all fans. But I'm thinking a full refund plus free tickets to a game of their choice would be suffice.

The Colts and Packers play during the regular season don't they? The NFL fans who came today should be promised free tickets for that game. Seems like a fair enough trade if the NFL paid for mostly everything else too...

Forgetting the paint job for a second...Is Earl Schieb still alive?

I'm wondering why, when you are doing a multi-million dollar renovation of a stadium...where you were

guaranteed to host an NFL game every year....

..why you would install  'used' turf from another stadium?

Why not buy new turf.......like most big high schools have now.?

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm just surprised they couldn't have moved the game to Monday Night and selected a different football venue. Maybe at a college or somewhere else.

I agree. Cleveland and Cincinnati have stadiums so why not move it there? Heck maybe OSU would've let them play there at their place. 

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

I agree. Cleveland and Cincinnati have stadiums so why not move it there? Heck maybe OSU would've let them play there at their place. 

That's what came across my mind although I don't know how close any of those are to Canton?   Whatever the new venue would have been I don't think you move it too far away from Canton.

14 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm wondering why, when you are doing a multi-million dollar renovation of a stadium...where you were

According to espn, that is the plan. They are building a new facility for next year that will have a brand new field. But it wasn't done in time for this year. So they used the field from the super bowl... but the field isn't the problem. Ts the fact they painted it and then covered it with lamenated wood panels for the concert..... paint needs air and time to cure, cover it too soon and the paint turns to gel. Especially laquer  and urethane based paints. Combined with the fact they didn't un cover it till just hours before the game and there's the problem. It wasn't the field, it was the handling of the field by staff that cause the issues...... based on what's being reportedany way

36 minutes ago, dw49 said:

If there is a way for you to delete this , I would do so. Saying they were at no more risk than any other week and should play the game is probably a position that is ... I'm lost for the right words.

I respectfully disagree. We can not say for sure one way or the other because this game never took place but in my opinion players have played in worse conditions and similar field conditions. It seems you are under the assumption or thinking that I think there is no danger involved? If so then no. I know there is danger involved but to say they are at more risk then many of the games they have played in the rain where the field was just as muddy or in the snow in minus degree weather? There have been muddy bad field conditions in the past that have been played on. We have seen them play in negative degree weather

21 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Thats a great point why get used TURF , New Orleans upgraded & you go cheap & buy there used TURF why ? This is how you honor the Hall of Famers ? Who in the world had this brilliant idea ?

Image result for known cheap skate memes

The thing that really irks me about this is I think the next two preseason games aren't even televised other than maybe locally in Indy so folks like myself who live in Texas won't be able to see anything live until we play the Ravens.  That game will be on CBS.

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

Here is my question on the canceling of the game. Are they going to start canceling regular season games to if the field is screwed up or weather conditions put players at risk? Because if not then that is just being inconsistent. I get it and understand the concern but this game should be played I think because now you open it up for regular season games to be canceled in the future for field conditions not being perfect or inclement weather even.

Lets get these guys out and play. The reality is they are no more at risk of being hurt than they will be next week or the week after and so on. Its unfortunate for the fans that went and they should get a refund but that really could not be helped considering the joint decision to cancel it was not made till just a couple hours ago. Also when are they going to let the fans know? When kickoff actually is supposed to take place? Tell me the NFL is smarter then that or they at least have something planned

I agree. the multimillionaire players should man up. in the old days they played on mud.

2 minutes ago, THE FUTURE IS NOW said:

I agree. the multimillionaire players should man up

The players making the multimillions weren't going to play much really. Probably a series or two at most. I get safety and I am ok with the game being canceled but its not like they haven't played in worse conditions

"This is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. You've heard me many, many times talk about our values of commitment, integrity, courage, respect, and excellence. If we don't have that integrity to respect our players and respect their safety, then we shouldn't be doing this job."

- David Backer, president of the football HOF

That statement infuriates me. Yes, I am glad the players were not subjected to that field, but you are an absolute * for deflecting like that. There is NO excuse for the field not being ready. None. The HOF should have to pay for all travel expenses for the fans there.

Just now, THE FUTURE IS NOW said:

in the early days of the colts in the fifties and sixties the players played on whatever. my how times have changed since I first became a colts fan

That is why it is tough to compare ERA's. I would agree the players of today are Bigger, Stronger, Quicker as a whole/have been really since the 90's compared to most era's but in the 70's and 80's I was watching players getting close lined, QB's getting knocked silly, Lott cutting his pinky off, players playing on crap fields alot etc.. Players were meaner and tougher way back.

2 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Well the game thread over there was on tap just like it was the regular season lol! The OP is all lets do this yeah! Then everybody else replies that's right yeah! Then after a few crickets 1 brave soul says something that suggests hmmmm this may not turn out like we planned, then it snowballs from there and by the last post of the thread we have something very different than the first post lol!!!!!!!!

like a fairy tale with a bad ending

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

I respectfully disagree. We can not say for sure one way or the other because this game never took place but in my opinion players have played in worse conditions and similar field conditions. It seems you are under the assumption or thinking that I think there is no danger involved? If so then no. I know there is danger involved but to say they are at more risk then many of the games they have played in the rain where the field was just as muddy or in the snow in minus degree weather? There have been muddy bad field conditions in the past that have been played on. We have seen them play in negative degree weather

Maybe you missed the issue that cleats would just slide over those bad areas of the field. There also were uneven spots ...just sounded like an ACL waiting to happen. Much different than weather conditions I believe .

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Maybe you missed the issue that cleats would just slide over those bad areas of the field. There also were uneven spots ...just sounded like an ACL waiting to happen. Much different than weather conditions I believe .

Definitly could happen. Risky no doubt but they have played in the past in extremely muddy conditions. Of course it could said those situations in the past is why they canceled the game now. So I get it