Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st Look: 2017 Hall of Fame Candidates....

NewColtsFan

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, the huge logjam at WR is thinning out, and those left on the doorstep because of it can go in now.  So I think both of them can get in.  The other positions aren't strong with many overqualified candidates, and many 'new' faces that may have to wait a year or two.  Both are incredibly deserving, and I'm not a fan of T.O's at all.

Yes, and here's why.  Do you remember the Super bowl Champion Redskins teams?  Joe Gibbs, coach. Art Monk,  John Riggins, and Darrell Green.  But anchoring those teams were the Hogs.  The two mainstays of the Hogs were Russ Grimm, and Joe Jacoby.  Now, what do all of the guys I've listed from the Redskins above have that Joe Jacoby does not?  If you say "A Gold Jacket", then we have a winner.  It is time for the other half of the Hogs to get his due and put him in the Hall.  I think the sportswriters know this as well, and need to do it before it is too late and he never gets another reasonable shot at it.

Sorry, I can't disagree more vigorously, and I can't stand T.O.

Most all of my reasons are spelled out nicely in this article-

http://www.mademan.com/how-terrell-owens-played-in-that-super-bowl-with-a-broken-leg-and-more/

I too am not a fan of T.O. but he deserves to get in. And he will. My earlier question to you was whether you believed that two WRs would get in this year. I thought one would, but neither did.

As for Jacoby, his career was ending when I began to follow football (early 90s). So, I recall very little of his career. 

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

With these WRs, it seems that every year the one who has been waiting the longest for induction seems to be elected. So, you may be right about Bruce over Owens.

The selection committee has issues.  they selected no WR, and could enshrine up to 8 people, but only enshrined 7.  So neither Bruce nor Owens received 80% support from the board.  Shame.

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I too am not a fan of T.O. but he deserves to get in. And he will. My earlier question to you was whether you believed that two WRs would get in this year. I thought one would, but neither did.

As for Jacoby, his career was ending when I began to follow football (early 90s). So, I recall very little of his career. 

SMH over selection committee snubbing both Bruce and T.O.

Here's a video about the Hogs, I think you'll like it.  I'm old, so I remember these things.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d828ced51/Films-Encore-The-Hogs

18 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

SMH over selection committee snubbing both Bruce and T.O.

Here's a video about the Hogs, I think you'll like it.  I'm old, so I remember these things.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d828ced51/Films-Encore-The-Hogs

Thank you for sharing that.

If T.O. had not created so many distractions during his career, he would be in the HoF already.

Is Randy Moss up for election next year? I expect him to get in on the first ballot, which will make it harder for Owens and Bruce to get in next year.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you for sharing that.

If T.O. had not created so many distractions during his career, he would be in the HoF already.

Is Randy Moss up for election next year? I expect to get in on the first ballot, which will make it harder for Owens and Bruce to get in next year.

Yes, next year is strong ( IMHO )

Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Ronde Barber, Richard Seymour, Jeff Saturday, Steve Hutchinson, Shawne Merrimen, Brian Dawkins, etc...

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, next year is strong ( IMHO )

Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Ronde Barber, Richard Seymour, Jeff Saturday, Steve Hutchinson, Shawne Merrimen, Brian Dawkins, etc...

Very strong indeed. And that does not include some of those who failed to make it this year (Owens, Bruce, Jacoby, Lynch, Faneca, Ty Law...)

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I'd credit Roger Goddell more than Jerry Jones with the enrichment of the league

Goodell has only been the Commissioner since 2006.

Jones came into the league in 1989.

The league becoming richer has been going on much, much longer since Roger Goodell came on board.

For whatever it's worth,  here's the mini-bio for Jones in the ESPN article on why Jones made the Hall.....

Jerry Jones

r169573_130x180_smallmug.jpgOwner, president, GM
Arkansas
1989-present, Dallas Cowboys

• First NFL owner to win three Super Bowls in first seven years of ownership
• Cowboys have won 10 division titles and been to postseason 13 times during Jones era
• Played leading role in creation and development of AT&T Stadium
• League leader in managing areas of marketing, sponsorship, stadium management, labor negotiations and television

18 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Bruce, Warner, and Morten Andersen deserve the hall. 

T.O. does not. At least compared to Isaac Bruce, Bruce has a ring and only had Warner for 3 years, yet consistently put up big numbers most of his career and had the most clutch catch in the 1999 Super Bowl. T.O. put up great stats in the regular season like Randy Moss, but he's not remembered for being clutch on the biggest stage with the brightest lights. He'll always be remembered for touchdown celebrations and that big baby fit he threw at McNabb after losing the Super Bowl. 

Warner and Bruce should've got in last year. If they're snubbed this year, then we know the league is officially trying to erase the legacy of the GSOT while the worthless Rams are in L.A. 

Morten Andersen owned several records as a kicker throughout his career. I have no idea why he's not in the Hall of Fame. He was 'the man' when it came to kicking long 50+ yard field goals, and had a storied long career spanning several teams. Saints fans and Falcons fans will always remember and appreciate him. 

Disagree. Owens had 9 receptions for 122 yards in the Super Bowl. How much brighter do the lights get? Game winning TD catch while getting blasted to beat the Packers in the Wild Card game in 1998. I could go on but won't.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it's worth,  here's the mini-bio for Jones in the ESPN article on why Jones made the Hall.....

Jerry Jones

r169573_130x180_smallmug.jpgOwner, president, GM
Arkansas
1989-present, Dallas Cowboys

• First NFL owner to win three Super Bowls in first seven years of ownership
• Cowboys have won 10 division titles and been to postseason 13 times during Jones era
• Played leading role in creation and development of AT&T Stadium
• League leader in managing areas of marketing, sponsorship, stadium management, labor negotiations and television

NCF..he did a lot for his franchise..but his teams have made the playoffs what>? 2 times in 20 years? 

As a GM, his teams have been a laughing stock  for a generation...agreed?

As owner, he's made a lot of money for his franchise....but I'm guessing its pretty hard to lose money being involved in football in Texas

.....as far as what he's done for the league as a whole....the group does those things....not one owner...the collective makes moves sprearheaded by the commissioner..right?

Maybe its a lifetime achievement award....but he's still ,active.....I just don't see it

27 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

NCF..he did a lot for his franchise..but his teams have made the playoffs what>? 2 times in 20 years? 

As a GM, his teams have been a laughing stock  for a generation...agreed?

As owner, he's made a lot of money for his franchise....but I'm guessing its pretty hard to lose money being involved in football in Texas

.....as far as what he's done for the league as a whole....the group does those things....not one owner...the collective makes moves sprearheaded by the commissioner..right?

Maybe its a lifetime achievement award....but he's still ,active.....I just don't see it

Jones has been the leader on the committees where all these things happened.

And I think you're answering your own question.       You asked,  why has Jones been given this honor?   What has he done?     I agree, the team has been mostly a non-factor for 20 years.

Well,  if you want to downplay all the things I'm telling you,   then what are the reasons?     You've eliminated them.       It's not blackmail.      What is it?      You're telling me Jones hasn't done anything to be deserving.

I'm countering by saying those who know the inner-workings of the NFL say differently.

If you're still telling me I'm wrong --- fine.     But then you should come up with a reason why Jones was honored. Because so far you've only got arguments against....

23 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

How Terrell Davis made it in ahead of Terrell Owens is beyond me...

I think NFLfan hit it on the head actually.  There is just enough (>20%) that loathe T.O's off field so much, they won't approve.  I'll bet more than 3 out of 4 of the 48 on the selection committee voted him in, and between 10-12 did not.

HOF is more about performance in a career, not off duty characteristics.  Yet, the players can't escape it (their 'Brand, Legacy, etc...  whatever image they created- good or bad.) and it may well affect their HOF chances one way or another.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think NFLfan hit it on the head actually.  There is just enough (>20%) that loathe T.O's off field so much, they won't approve.  I'll bet more than 3 out of 4 of the 48 on the selection committee voted him in, and between 10-12 did not.

HOF is more about performance in a career, not off duty characteristics.  Yet, the players can't escape it (their 'Brand, Legacy, etc...  whatever image they created- good or bad.) and it may well affect their HOF chances one way or another.

If I recall correctly, he wanted the Eagles to give him a contract extension and he got no support from McNabb, despite being the #1 receiver.  Then Dallas just decided to phase him out for no reason.  Watching the Football Life about Terrell Owens really opened my eyes about him.  He was somewhat isolated as a kid and the way he was brought up affected his personality as an adult.  I think he's more misunderstood than anything.

He didn't even do anything that bad.  Never broke the law, no criminal activity, never assaulted anyone.  If TO doesn't get in, then guys like Ben Roethlisberger and Ray Lewis should never get in