Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st Look: 2017 Hall of Fame Candidates....

NewColtsFan

So.....    here's your first look at a possible class of NFL 2017 HoF Candidates.....

A combination of players who will become eligible for the Hall for the first time now,   and those who were finalists this year and didn't quite make it....   plus a few others....

It looks like another potential very good class.......

Just click and read......      Enjoy!  

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/209114/ladainian-tomlinson-kurt-warner-among-favorites-for-2017-hall-of-fame-class

I don't think Kurt Warner should get in or Edge Kurt was rather inconsistent when he was good he was great when he was bad he was also bad.

Edge I think would've gotten in had he stayed on the Colts except for maybe a year or two with the Cardinals he faded into oblivion afterwards.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

T.O. will get in next year I think.  LT as well

I agree. Both Owens and Tomlinson will get in. 

I hope Warner and John Lynch make it.  2017 may be the year Terrell Davis finally makes it in.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. Both Owens and Tomlinson will get in. 

I hope Warner and John Lynch make it.  2017 may be the year Terrell Davis finally makes it in.

I would love to see Davis get in. He had a 4 year period where he looked to be the best of all-time and he does have 2 Rings. Sayers got in and had a brief career.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would love to see Davis get in. He had a 4 year period where he looked to be the best of all-time and he does have 2 Rings. Sayers got in and had a brief career.

Next year's candidates don't seem as strong as those of the last few years. If Davis makes it at all, it will be next year. 

What do you think of Jason Taylor? For 8 to 10 year, he was one of the league's best defensive ends. However, his last few years were pretty mediocre.

19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Next year's candidates don't seem as strong as those of the last few years. If Davis makes it at all, it will be next year. 

What do you think of Jason Taylor? For 8 to 10 year, he was one of the league's best defensive ends. However, his last few years were pretty mediocre.

Jason Taylor will get is a HOF every member of the 100 sack club ahead of him and the next 2 behind him are HOF's. Strahann is at 141.5 Taylor 139.5 Randle 137.5. He holds the record for fumbles returned for touchdowns. He is a no brainer. 

I love TD and he helped me win my fantasy league 2 years in a row, I'm not sure he gets in the hall of fame.  He only played 6 season 2 were good 2 fantastic 2 sad. The 2 Super Bowls and a 2,000 yard year might do it. He was the best in the business for 2 years. I'm just not sure that gets him in but I wouldn't complain if he did. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

50/50, that's another tough one.

• 5 months later...

So who gets in?

I believe T.O. and Tomlinson should be shoo-ins. 

Being partial to Stanford players, I hope John Lynch makes it. I also like Brian Dawkins, Jason Taylor and Kurt Warner.

I would like to see Alan Faneca make it. While he played for the Jets, he brought awareness to epilepsy. To have played OL that many years while having epilepsy is amazing.

Here is the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2017 finalists.

2017 Modern era Hall of Fame finalists:

1. Brian Dawkins, safety (Philadelphia Eagles, 1996-2008; Denver Broncos, 2009-2011)

2. Jason Taylor, defensive end (Miami Dolphins, 1997-2007, '09, 2011; Washington Redskins, 2008; New York Jets, 2010)

3. LaDainian Tomlinson, running back (San Diego Chargers, 2001-09; New York Jets, 2010-11)

4. Morten Andersen, kicker (New Orleans Saints, 1982-1994; Atlanta Falcons, 1995-2000; 2006-07; New York Giants, 2001; Kansas City Chiefs, 2002-03; Minnesota Vikings, 2004)

5. Don Coryell, coach (St. Louis Cardinals, 1973-77; San Diego Chargers, 1978-1986)

6. Kurt Warner, quarterback (St. Louis Rams, 1998-2003; New York Giants, 2004; Arizona Cardinals, 2005-09)

7. Terrell Davis, running back (Denver Broncos, 1995-2001)

8. Isaac Bruce, wide receiver (Los Angeles Rams, 1994; St. Louis Rams, 1995-2007; San Francisco 49ers, 2008-09)

9. Terrell Owens, wide receiver (San Francisco 49ers, 1996-2003; Philadelphia Eagles, 2004-05; Dallas Cowboys, 2006-08; Buffalo Bills, 2009; Cincinnati Bengals, 2010)

10. Tony Boselli, offensive tackle (Jacksonville Jaguars, 1995-2001; Houston Texans, 2002)

11. Alan Faneca, guard (Pittsburgh Steelers, 1998-2007; New York Jets, 2008-09; Arizona Cardinals, 2010)

12. Joe Jacoby, offensive tackle (Washington Redskins, 1981-1993)

13. Ty Law, cornerback (New England Patriots, 1995-2004; New York Jets, 2005, '08; Kansas City Chiefs, 2006-07; Denver Broncos, 2009)

14. John Lynch, safety (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1993-2003; Denver Broncos, 2004-07)

15. Kevin Mawae, center (Seattle Seahawks, 1994-97; New York Jets, 1998-2005; Tennessee Titans, 2006-09)

Contributor Committee Finalists -  Paul Tagliabue, Jerry Jones

Seniors Committee Finalist - Kenny Easley,  Safety Seattle Seahawks

Between four to eight of the above can be enshrined this year.

My personal guess (Opinion only)-

In-

Kurt Warner
Terrell Owens
LaDainian Tomlinson
Isaac Bruce
Don Coryell

Slight chance-

Terrel Davis
Joe Jacoby
Brian Dawkins

The rest will just have to wait.

18 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here is the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2017 finalists.

2017 Modern era Hall of Fame finalists:

1. Brian Dawkins, safety (Philadelphia Eagles, 1996-2008; Denver Broncos, 2009-2011)

2. Jason Taylor, defensive end (Miami Dolphins, 1997-2007, '09, 2011; Washington Redskins, 2008; New York Jets, 2010)

3. LaDainian Tomlinson, running back (San Diego Chargers, 2001-09; New York Jets, 2010-11)

4. Morten Andersen, kicker (New Orleans Saints, 1982-1994; Atlanta Falcons, 1995-2000; 2006-07; New York Giants, 2001; Kansas City Chiefs, 2002-03; Minnesota Vikings, 2004)

5. Don Coryell, coach (St. Louis Cardinals, 1973-77; San Diego Chargers, 1978-1986)

6. Kurt Warner, quarterback (St. Louis Rams, 1998-2003; New York Giants, 2004; Arizona Cardinals, 2005-09)

7. Terrell Davis, running back (Denver Broncos, 1995-2001)

8. Isaac Bruce, wide receiver (Los Angeles Rams, 1994; St. Louis Rams, 1995-2007; San Francisco 49ers, 2008-09)

9. Terrell Owens, wide receiver (San Francisco 49ers, 1996-2003; Philadelphia Eagles, 2004-05; Dallas Cowboys, 2006-08; Buffalo Bills, 2009; Cincinnati Bengals, 2010)

10. Tony Boselli, offensive tackle (Jacksonville Jaguars, 1995-2001; Houston Texans, 2002)

11. Alan Faneca, guard (Pittsburgh Steelers, 1998-2007; New York Jets, 2008-09; Arizona Cardinals, 2010)

12. Joe Jacoby, offensive tackle (Washington Redskins, 1981-1993)

13. Ty Law, cornerback (New England Patriots, 1995-2004; New York Jets, 2005, '08; Kansas City Chiefs, 2006-07; Denver Broncos, 2009)

14. John Lynch, safety (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1993-2003; Denver Broncos, 2004-07)

15. Kevin Mawae, center (Seattle Seahawks, 1994-97; New York Jets, 1998-2005; Tennessee Titans, 2006-09)

Contributor Committee Finalists -  Paul Tagliabue, Jerry Jones

Seniors Committee Finalist - Kenny Easley,  Safety Seattle Seahawks

Between four to eight of the above can be enshrined this year.

My personal guess (Opinion only)-

In-

Kurt Warner
Terrell Owens
LaDainian Tomlinson
Isaac Bruce
Don Coryell

Slight chance-

Terrel Davis
Joe Jacoby
Brian Dawkins

The rest will just have to wait.

You believe this is the year that two WRs get in?

Joe Jacoby over Alan Faneca? Just asking.

Bruce, Warner, and Morten Andersen deserve the hall. 

T.O. does not. At least compared to Isaac Bruce, Bruce has a ring and only had Warner for 3 years, yet consistently put up big numbers most of his career and had the most clutch catch in the 1999 Super Bowl. T.O. put up great stats in the regular season like Randy Moss, but he's not remembered for being clutch on the biggest stage with the brightest lights. He'll always be remembered for touchdown celebrations and that big baby fit he threw at McNabb after losing the Super Bowl. 

Warner and Bruce should've got in last year. If they're snubbed this year, then we know the league is officially trying to erase the legacy of the GSOT while the worthless Rams are in L.A. 

Morten Andersen owned several records as a kicker throughout his career. I have no idea why he's not in the Hall of Fame. He was 'the man' when it came to kicking long 50+ yard field goals, and had a storied long career spanning several teams. Saints fans and Falcons fans will always remember and appreciate him. 

8 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

T.O. does not. At least compared to Isaac Bruce, Bruce has a ring and only had Warner for 3 years, yet consistently put up big numbers most of his career and had the most clutch catch in the 1999 Super Bowl. T.O. put up great stats in the regular season like Randy Moss, but he's not remembered for being clutch on the biggest stage with the brightest lights. He'll always be remembered for touchdown celebrations and that big baby fit he threw at McNabb after losing the Super Bowl. 

Warner and Bruce should've got in last year. If they're snubbed this year, then we know the league is officially trying to erase the legacy of the GSOT while the worthless Rams are in L.A. 

Morten Andersen owned several records as a kicker throughout his career. I have no idea why he's not in the Hall of Fame. He was 'the man' when it came to kicking long 50+ yard field goals, and had a storied long career spanning several teams. Saints fans and Falcons fans will always remember and appreciate him. 

I agree again regarding Bruce vs TO, I would take Bruce if I had to choose one. Warner belongs as well.

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Tough one....

I don't think Kurt Warner or Terrell Owens gets in..

Tomlinson, Andersen,, Issac Bruce, Don Coryell and Paul Tagliabue

With these WRs, it seems that every year the one who has been waiting the longest for induction seems to be elected. So, you may be right about Bruce over Owens.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

With these WRs, it seems that every year the one who has been waiting the longest for induction seems to be elected. So, you may be right about Bruce over Owens.

I dont know how much carryover there is from year t year...but Bruce has deserved to eb in....

..and T.O. does bring baggage with him.

..and I hate to say it because I like him a lot.

But I don't think Kurt Warner is a Hall-of-Famer

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I dont know how much carryover there is from year t year...but Bruce has deserved to eb in....

..and T.O. does bring baggage with him.

..and I hate to say it because I like him a lot.

But I don't think Kurt Warner is a Hall-of-Famer

You don't think Owens is a Hall of Famer?  

23 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He is as a player but he was just a guy whose behavior and personality detracts from his achievements

Whether that's the way it should be or not....I think it is a big factor

I don't know about that. He tweeted that he did not make it this year.

He will get in some day. 

3 hours ago, Synthetic said:

I feel your way off base on TO. Him playing in the SB weeks after snapping his leg in two, and having a great game speaks volumes to me. Sure he was a loud mouth diva, and didn't have the best hands, but he was legitimately great and deserves to be in over Bruce, who is also deserving. 

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Kurt Warner is in....

glad to see that...I truly thought his lack of longevity would keep him out..

...Jason Taylor....Morten Andersen...Terrell Davis....(big surprise to me) )Jerry Jones and Kenny Easley

And you left out the biggest name.....     LaDainian Tomlinson.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Jerry Jones surprises me here

I believe Jones is in because he helped make all owners even more fabulously wealthy than they were when he bought the team in 1989 for $140 Million.      Now the teams are worth between 1 and 2 billion.

That's on Jerry Jones.

He did it in two ways,   he helped grow the TV pie.    And helped keep up the shell game of threatening to move franchises around which forced most cities to build the owners a billion dollar stadium.     Heck, Atlanta has now built the Falcons TWO stadiums since Jones took over.      One was built in the early 90's, and now roughly 25 years later,  the Falcons are moving into another brand new stadium.

Between those two things,  the personal worth of every owner is roughly a billion or more.

Putting him in the Hall while he's young enough to enjoy it,  is the owners way of saying thank you!

You're welcome,  Jerry Jones!

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe Jones is in because he helped make all owners even more fabulously wealthy than they were when he bought the team in 1989 for $140 Million.      Now the teams are worth between 1 and 2 billion.

That's on Jerry Jones.

He did it in two ways,   he helped grow the TV pie.    And helped keep up the shell game of threatening to move franchises around which forced most cities to build the owners a billion dollar stadium.     Heck, Atlanta has now built the Falcons TWO stadiums since Jones took over.      One was built in the early 90's, and now roughly 25 years later,  the Falcons are moving into another brand new stadium.

Between those two things,  the personal worth of every owner is roughly a billion or more.

Putting him in the Hall while he's young enough to enjoy it,  is the owners way of saying thank you!

You're welcome,  Jerry Jones!

I'd credit Roger Goddell more than Jerry Jones with the enrichment of the league

Terrell Owens absolutely positively deserves to be in the hall. The only reason he isn't getting in is because voters didn't like his diva persona which is completely off base. The man was a top 5 receiver of all time on the field. It is not debatable. Get this man in the hall!!!

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm not sure if two wr get in this year

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You believe this is the year that two WRs get in?

Yes, the huge logjam at WR is thinning out, and those left on the doorstep because of it can go in now.  So I think both of them can get in.  The other positions aren't strong with many overqualified candidates, and many 'new' faces that may have to wait a year or two.  Both are incredibly deserving, and I'm not a fan of T.O's at all.

EDIT: but I was wrong.  No WR in?  sportswriters have a problem...

Joe Jacoby over Alan Faneca? Just asking.

Yes, and here's why.  Do you remember the Super bowl Champion Redskins teams?  Joe Gibbs, coach. Art Monk,  John Riggins, and Darrell Green.  But anchoring those teams were the Hogs.  The two mainstays of the Hogs were Russ Grimm, and Joe Jacoby.  Now, what do all of the guys I've listed from the Redskins above have that Joe Jacoby does not?  If you say "A Gold Jacket", then we have a winner.  It is time for the other half of the Hogs to get his due and put him in the Hall.  I think the sportswriters know this as well, and need to do it before it is too late and he never gets another reasonable shot at it.

But neither rmight make it in  this year.

6 hours ago, Synthetic said:

{snip}

Sorry, I can't disagree more vigorously, and I can't stand T.O.

Most all of my reasons are spelled out nicely in this article-

http://www.mademan.com/how-terrell-owens-played-in-that-super-bowl-with-a-broken-leg-and-more/