Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pro Football Focus previews the 2016 Colts

21isSuperman

I personally really like Pro Football Focus and I think they have some really good analysis.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-2016-season-preview-indianapolis-colts/

Summary:

Luck needs to stay healthy and limit his mistakes (QB positional rank: 9/32)

RB depth isn't good, especially with Gore being the oldest starting RB in the league (RB rank: 29/32)

Pass catchers are top-heavy (Moncrief, Hilton, Allen if healthy), but depth isn't good (Dorsett is still unknown) (positional rank: 22/32)

OL should be solid with Kelly, Reitz, Castonzo, and Mewhort (positional rank: 16/32)

Lots of talent along the DL, but LB corps is old and iffy (they project Irving to start over Moore as the other starting ILB next to Jackson) (front seven rank: 26/32)

Talented corners, questions at safety (secondary rank: 20/32)

I'd put some of our rankings higher.  I think our pass catchers are a top-10 group, RBs can be top half if the coaches divide the carries properly and don't give Gore too much, QB should be higher and I think Luck will surprise a lot of people, secondary can be top half if Vontae returns to his 2014 form and Robinson builds on what was a good year for him last year.  I think we're going to surprise a lot of people this year.  It's also nice to see the OL making some progress and moving into the top half of the league by their rankings.

I can't argue withe these, but will say that I think our ceiling is much higher across the board. This is a strange year where it is really unknown whether the Colts will be mostly average or have a number of top 10 position groups. The talent isn't a whole lot different from last year, but the coaching is...and there is no way to know the impact of the coaching changes until they hit the field. After the first four weeks of the regular season, I think we will have a better feel for the team as a whole. 

21 minutes ago, Larry Horseman said:

I can't argue withe these, but will say that I think our ceiling is much higher across the board. This is a strange year where it is really unknown whether the Colts will be mostly average or have a number of top 10 position groups. The talent isn't a whole lot different from last year, but the coaching is...and there is no way to know the impact of the coaching changes until they hit the field. After the first four weeks of the regular season, I think we will have a better feel for the team as a whole. 

Well said.  I think the coaching piece, as you mentioned, is a huge key.  I expect Philbin to have a good impact on the OL and I think Chudzi will do a fine job calling plays.  Add to those new OL talent and new blocking scheme and I think our offense could be of of the best in the league.  Defensively, Monachino is unknown to me.  I don't know what to expect.  There has been a lot of talk about calling an aggressive defense and playing aggressively, but I'm still unsure of what to expect with that.

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

There has been a lot of talk about calling an aggressive defense and playing aggressively, but I'm still unsure of what to expect with that.

It will be interesting to see if this is just standard D coordinator jargon or he actually follows through...hope it is the latter. I am expecting some good interior pass rush this year. 

I wonder what the list would look like of those D-coordinators that have been

planning this off season to call a passive Defensive game?   :thinking:

My Colts Prayers for this season do include lots of Great Inside Rush coming From US not At Us!!

And i appreciate what PFF attempts to add to the discussion.
 And i mostly agree with the level of Mediocrity that they ascribe to our roster.
  But it don`t mean Jack does it?
 Strap it on and let the pounding begin. And hope we play smarter than the competition, have fewer turnovers, and do all the other ___ it takes to kick some __!

:huthut:  I know i`m ready for some FB!  Go Colts!

29 minutes ago, Larry Horseman said:

It will be interesting to see if this is just standard D coordinator jargon or he actually follows through...hope it is the latter. I am expecting some good interior pass rush this year. 

Yep.  We know that with a healthy Luck and bad Olines we made the playoffs every year.  So I have confidence in our offense.

Our pass rush is still a big question mark.  We'll find out soon enough if Manny's going to be aggressive or (God forbid) we play bend but don't break again.

19 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

We'll find out soon enough if Manny's going to be aggressive or (God forbid) we play bend but don't break again.

I think VD's health is a big part of the puzzle. If he can line up and play press man, then they can stay aggressive. If he is dinged up like last year, they will have to back off a bit (which also takes away from VD's effectiveness...he thinks too much when playing off man or zone, imo). 

18 minutes ago, Larry Horseman said:

I think VD's health is a big part of the puzzle. If he can line up and play press man, then they can stay aggressive. If he is dinged up like last year, they will have to back off a bit (which also takes away from VD's effectiveness...he thinks too much when playing off man or zone, imo). 

RIght.  And I realize that if you don't have the personnel you can't be as aggressive as most of us would like.  There would be too many games like we had against the Steelers the last couple years.

Aggressive defensive game planning seems like a no-brainer to win in the NFL. It just seems like when we have tried to attack defensively, we have lacked imagination, or should I say the element of surprise. Teams always seem ready for us with reinforced blocking or the quick check down pass. A little David Copperfield magic might help with disguising our illusion of aggressiveness.

Since we are deep on d-line, I can see Ted backing his words with agressive calling by putting 4 down linemen occasionally.  And once Green is more comfortable at the pro level, useing him as a single high safety to use those extra blitzes he's been talking about.

Wr ranking may be on point for now.  Dorsett and Luck seem to be off on thier timing by all accounts i've read.  This obviously could (and hopefully will) change.

The biggest x-factor right now to me is the rb corps.  I have faith in the o-line, but will need Whomever the 2nd/3rd string RB is, to step up and play well.

10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I personally really like Pro Football Focus and I think they have some really good analysis.

Summary:

RB depth isn't good, especially with Gore being the oldest starting RB in the league (RB rank: 29/32)

Pass catchers are top-heavy (Moncrief, Hilton, Allen if healthy), but depth isn't good (Dorsett is still unknown) (positional rank: 22/32)

OL should be solid with Kelly, Reitz, Castonzo, and Mewhort (positional rank: 16/32)

Lots of talent along the DL, but LB corps is old and iffy (they project Irving to start over Moore as the other starting ILB next to Jackson) (front seven rank: 26/32)

I'd put some of our rankings higher.  I think our pass catchers are a top-10 group, RBs can be top half if the coaches divide the carries properly and don't give Gore too much, QB should be higher and I think Luck will surprise a lot of people, secondary can be top half if Vontae returns to his 2014 form and Robinson builds on what was a good year for him last year.  I think we're going to surprise a lot of people this year.  It's also nice to see the OL making some progress and moving into the top half of the league by their rankings.

I agree with all the rankings, TBH.

-Pass Catchers is a little low but not by a lot...Top 16. Right around 16. Mainly cause TY but I expect Allen to very good and Moncrief if they stay healthy. Moncrief I can see cracking 1000 yards. Allen not so much but he will be good

- O Line I'd put a little lower until they show it on the field. They haven't earned anything yet

-Kind of wish they would have separated D Line and O Line instead of grouping them but I get it and I think the D Line can be better. The pass rush not so much

- I still got questions at #2 Corner until Robinson shows he can handle it full time at #2 in Press Man. I will believe it when I see. Vontae  is also capable of great play for entire season but he is a little wishy washy with his consistency. He will have one great year and then the next year drop off. Not dramatically drop off but he's had it

14 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Summary:

*I would go Luck 7th, they have 9th. Brady, Rodgers, Ben are better. Cam, Wilson, and Brees had a better season last season than Luck. So I will say 7th.

*RB/FB's: Cant really dispute that situation so I will roll with 29th as they have.

*Pass Catchers: I think we rank in the top 16, I will say 16th, they have 22nd.

*O.Line: I don't think we belong in the Top 20, I say 21st, they have 16th. The addition of Kelly should help!

*Front 7 on Defense: Cant really dispute that so I will roll with 26th as they have.

*Secondary: Cant really dispute that so I will roll with 20th as they have. Watch out for TJ Green though

-I will add we have the best Punter in the league and the best clutch Kicker in the league so those are 2 huge factors that may win us an extra game or 2. 

19 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Summary:

This is pretty good. I'd have to say that I think that I would rank the OL a bit lower than 16 right now. Hopefully they are a top 10 group in a year or two but right now I think there is still too much to prove. WR I think they ranked us a little low. I think we have a upper half crew and if Dorsett has a break out season we are top 10. Other than that though I think its probably pretty accurate.

I think it's way too early to start projecting rankings across the league, personally -- there are enough unknowns on our team just like every other team. That said, I'll play the game..... I understand why they have Luck at 9, but think he'll be in the top 5 by season's end.  Gore played well last year behind a bad OL and

with poor play calling (Pep) for half the year and little threat of a passing game the other half of the year -- he didn't show any signs of slowing down and it was remarkable that he was only 33 yards shy of 1,000 for the season given his situation... so personally, I think RB should be more around 20 instead of 29 (I'd say higher if based on starter alone, but they have a point that our depth is not great).  Pass catchers -- we've got the fastest trio in the league, then we've got plenty of talented bodies fighting for the rest of the WR spots..... Allen is a very solid all-around TE and Doyle can play in this league...more likely than not, we won't use much more than 3 WR sets...so if we're healthy, I think this group has to be ranked in the top 16 (also, Luck's arm strength should be able to utilize the speed of our WRs in ways Hasselbeck couldn't last year -- I expect Moncrief will have a much better time playing with Luck). OL, I think they're about right... front seven, I think they're about right (though, if Anderson comes back healthy and Mathis keeps iimproving we could move higher)..... DBs, I think we should be a bit higher, though I can't argue too much since we are pretty unknown besides Vontae and Adams.

19 hours ago, Larry Horseman said:

I agree, our ceiling is much higher.  If you're going on talent from this year to last year, I'm not sure I agree though.  I suppose if you're just going based on the pre-season Andrew is still Andrew...however, he had an off year last year and I don't think he was ever really put in position where his OC was calling a good game, aside from when Chud took over before we beat superbowl champ Broncos.  It sounds like Kelly will be a huge upgrade at C (which could do wonders for the OL in general).  Moncrief and Dorsett have another year under their belt (Moncrief really made a leap from year 1 to 2 and sounds like he's on track to do so again), which could be very big for the passing game (especially because they'll hopefully have Luck's arm instead of Hasselbeck to utilize their speed).  Then on D, I'd say you're about right -- with some uncertainty on the DL (Anderson's health, Art Jones' health/suspension, can Parry make a big improvement?, how will Ridgeway fair in the NFL?, etc...) and then I think we have to be better at CB with Toler being gone.....

I just hope the coaches this year show they can adjust in game, if they have to.  I think a big strength of both Chud and Ted M. is that they'll utilize the strengths of our players and put our players in situations to allow them to succeed (this drove me nuts about Pep, who seemed to continuously try to stick a square peg into a round hole with some of his players).

19 hours ago, Larry Horseman said:

I am expecting this, too.  It looks like Ridgeway can rush the passer as a DL, which should help.  I am hoping Mathis has a big year -- he definitely seemed to be getting healthier and better as the year went on last year.  I also expect TJ Green to help with pass-rush (whether he's coming off the edge as a dime back, through the middle as a safety).  I have also always thought one of the best things for a good pass rush is a good offense (last year, we weren't putting points on the board or really threatening to be a high powered offensive unit, so we weren't really in good defensive situations to attack the QB -- hopefully a healthy Andrew and improved OC will help that).

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

-Pass Catchers is a little low but not by a lot...Top 16. Right around 16. Mainly cause TY but I expect Allen to very good and Moncrief if they stay healthy. Moncrief I can see cracking 1000 yards. Allen not so much but he will be good

- O Line I'd put a little lower until they show it on the field. They haven't earned anything yet

-Kind of wish they would have separated D Line and O Line instead of grouping them but I get it and I think the D Line can be better. The pass rush not so much

- I still got questions at #2 Corner until Robinson shows he can handle it full time at #2 in Press Man. I will believe it when I see. Vontae  is also capable of great play for entire season but he is a little wishy washy with his consistency. He will have one great year and then the next year drop off. Not dramatically drop off but he's had it

I think Vontae will be helped tremendously if (1) our offense can score a lot of points, to allow our D to rush the passer and (2) if our pass rush is actually effective.  I don't know that he actually 'dropped off' last year so much as the defense around him dropped off and gave opposing QBs/WRs more time to let things develop....plus, I think Vontae was battling injuries on and off all of last year.

I'm hanging my hat on the fact we beat one super bowl team with Chud and took the other super bowl team to OT without Chud.  We have a slightly better team this year and a far better coaching staff.  My gut tells me will win the division barring any significant injuries.

On 05/08/2016 at 8:51 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

*I would go Luck 7th, they have 9th. Brady, Rodgers, Ben are better. Cam, Wilson, and Brees had a better season last season than Luck. So I will say 7th.

*RB/FB's: Cant really dispute that situation so I will roll with 29th as they have.

*Pass Catchers: I think we rank in the top 16, I will say 16th, they have 22nd.

*O.Line: I don't think we belong in the Top 20, I say 21st, they have 16th. The addition of Kelly should help!

*Front 7 on Defense: Cant really dispute that so I will roll with 26th as they have.

*Secondary: Cant really dispute that so I will roll with 20th as they have. Watch out for TJ Green though

-I will add we have the best Punter in the league and the best clutch Kicker in the league so those are 2 huge factors that may win us an extra game or 2. 

No way on earth is Wilson a better QB than Luck, and never will be. He is a better RB than he is a QB....he's a great all round footballer, but is not a great QB.

On 8/4/2016 at 0:54 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Summary:

I agree with your thinking except that PFF had really good analysis based on your summary.  Most egregious is WR and QB.   Luck is far above #9.  (ALL these pre-season trashing of Luck on the various lists is mind boggling).  Just like when Luck didn't get rookie of the year even though he took a 2-14 team to the playoffs, the press seems to love undervaluing Luck.  Thanks for posting the link, I will take a look at the entire article, but I just don't get the disrespect.  

On August 4, 2016 at 4:01 PM, BertJones said:

these rankings make no sense since its obvious the Colts can win their division without trying.

Wait!    What?!?

Huh?

I think somebody here is caught in a time warp.       The days of winning the division without really trying are over....

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wait!    What?!?

Huh?

I think somebody here is caught in a time warp.       The days of winning the division without really trying are over....

the only reason the race was close last year was the Colts had a down year while the other teams sucked as usual. This year those teams will have the same  near .500 records or lower they always have while Luck tares it up.

Jags have sucked since 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jacksonville_Jaguars_seasons

Texans have made playoffs but never advance and this year they wont even make the playoffs with a bad Watt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Houston_Texans_seasons

Titans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tennessee_Titans_seasons

the entire division will be last in the league as well as division.

the Colts never lose. They even went to playoffs with Bert Jones and to a Conference Championship with Harbaugh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indianapolis_Colts_seasons

theyll be no less than a 3rd or 4th seed in the playoffs because they always are anyway

On 8/4/2016 at 0:54 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Summary:

Moncrief, I think Moncrief will surprise with his upside with Luck back & better OL esp at center

11 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

No way on earth is Wilson a better QB than Luck, and never will be. He is a better RB than he is a QB....he's a great all round footballer, but is not a great QB.

I really don't think he's better either nor do I think Cam is but because Cam won MVP last season and Wilson threw for his career in TD's I just placed them ahead of Luck for now. They both just had better seasons so more than anything that is why I have Luck at 7 for now.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't think he's better either nor do I think Cam is but because Cam won MVP last season and Wilson threw for his career in TD's I just placed them ahead of Luck for now. They both just had better seasons so more than anything that is why I have Luck at 7 for now.

I would put both Wilson and Luck ahead of Cam.

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I would put both Wilson and Luck ahead of Cam.

I actually did with my initial Post mainly because they had a better season than Luck had last season. I just had to out of respect for the type of seasons each of those 2 guys had. Hopefully Luck bounces back and has a huge season. It will be interesting to watch.