Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49Ers Gave Up Almost 800 Yards Passing In 2 Weeks

oldunclemark

The myth of the 49ers defense was somewhat exposed the last two weeks..

..at home..

..and Sunday..in a rainstorm......

..they gave up big passing yards..

If you play in a weak division..your defensive numbers look better than they are.

You cant count on getting 2 or 3 turnovers every game..

The better team won.

Infact...NE-NYG is the best matchup possible of the final 4...

you have to keep in mind that they played both brees and manning so its not like they were playing like tarvais jackson or kevin kolb. i can see the 49ers drafting mark barron to help in the secondary or a cb to help out rogers.

you have to keep in mind that they played both brees and manning so its not like they were playing like tarvais jackson or kevin kolb. i can see the 49ers drafting mark barron to help in the secondary or a cb to help out rogers.

Point take....91..

But I've heard all year that no one moves the ball on SF..They have the NFL's best defense

..and the arguement was...their schedule isnt strong...their division isnt strong...

..In truth...the schedule wanst strong and the division wasn't strong.

Baltimore is better defensively than SF and they played a tougher slate...

Point take....91..

But I've heard all year that no one moves the ball on SF..They have the NFL's best defense

..and the arguement was...their schedule isnt strong...their division isnt strong...

..In truth...the schedule wanst strong and the division wasn't strong.

Baltimore is better defensively than SF and they played a tougher slate...

on the ground yes. no one moves the ball on the ground vs the 49ers, but through the air is a different story

I think most people would agree this isn't the kind of killer defense the Ravens had during their Superbowl run (and other years). Probably not as good as some of the Steelers defenses. But they are still pretty good. Probably a top 5 defense overall. They had an issue in the first half of getting off the field on 3rd down. But the thing that killed the 49ers was the 2 turnovers (by the same guy). Without those 2 turnovers, the defense might have held the Giants to 14 points or less - a pretty good day.

And nobody holds Brees and the Saints down all day. You don't stop them, you just slow them down.

I think most people would agree this isn't the kind of killer defense the Ravens had during their Superbowl run (and other years). Probably not as good as some of the Steelers defenses. But they are still pretty good. Probably a top 5 defense overall. They had an issue in the first half of getting off the field on 3rd down. But the thing that killed the 49ers was the 2 turnovers (by the same guy). Without those 2 turnovers, the defense might have held the Giants to 14 points or less - a pretty good day.

And nobody holds Brees and the Saints down all day. You don't stop them, you just slow them down.

But in the rain...the No.1 defense..should hold even a Manning under 300 yards..

..and a team that's bragged about how they can force turnovers should, get at least one.

Agreed?

But in the rain...the No.1 defense..should hold even a Manning under 300 yards.. ..and a team that's bragged about how they can force turnovers should, get at least one. Agreed?
I would agree - but I guess I don't see where they are the #1 defense. they weren't # by points allowed or yards allowed.

I would agree - but I guess I don't see where they are the #1 defense. they weren't # by points allowed or yards allowed.

They said they were.

they said we have the best defense in the league

It was a feeling born of the schedule they'd played...

Houston is very good defensively..but, like SF, their numbers are skewed by the quality of offense in their division (the teams they played twice)//

Look at the QBs Houston and SF faced twice and you see what I'm saying about the fools gold they banked

They said they were. they said we have the best defense in the league It was a feeling born of the schedule they'd played... Houston is very good defensively..but, like SF, their numbers are skewed by the quality of offense in their division (the teams they played twice)// Look at the QBs Houston and SF faced twice and you see what I'm saying about the fools gold they banked

Yes - would never have said they were the best defense. But according to Rex the Jets were going to the Superbowl. Just looking at points allowed and yards allowed they were top 5 in both categories. But their schedule was a little weak. I would say they have a pretty stout defense but not #1, that is for sure. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain that next year.

OP has a vendetta against the Niners. The defense played great. What matters in the end is how many points you allowed and they gave the San Fran offense plenty of time to go get the GW field goal. They had 3 or 4 chances to drive down and get just 1 field goal. The Niners offense was 1 for 13 on 3rd downs. But lets blame the defense. Lets blame the defense for the 2 special teams fumbles that lead to a FG and a TD.

I dont think you watched the game mark. You just look at the score and the stats and assume the defense played bad. Anyone who watched the game knew the 49ers offense struggled a lot. The defense did their job. Eli had his worst game of the playoffs and still won. 58 attempts to get 316 yards.

The myth of the 49ers defense was somewhat exposed the last two weeks..

..at home..

..and Sunday..in a rainstorm......

..they gave up big passing yards..

If you play in a weak division..your defensive numbers look better than they are.

You cant count on getting 2 or 3 turnovers every game..

The better team won.

Infact...NE-NYG is the best matchup possible of the final 4...

You are so one dimensional..do you even watch the game or just look at stats.........................THEY ONLY GAVE UP 1 TD FROM ALL OF THOSE YARDS. The other TD was from a TO.

THAT IS HOW GOOD THEIR DEFENSE IS and not the other way around.