Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Giants Vs Patriots Official Thread! (All Discussion About Sb 46 Here!)

IcEWoLF

Because it was the Patriots. That's my point.

Removing the rule would admit that it was a mistake.

How many other times have you seen that rule enforced in a game? Let alone a playoff game.

The rule is called all the time and nearly every single game . . . , it is called the forward pass rule . .. whenever you see the QB's arm start to go forward and it is called a incomplete pass as opposed to a fumble, this rule is invoke . . . the forward pass begins once the arm is going forward and ends if he passes the ball or tucks the ball back into his body . . . it is all the same continum, something fans dont get and really is never explained to them . . . the "tuck" portion of the rule is the end point of the forward pass and the arm moving is the start of the forward pass, but it is the same rule, just different points in the "pass" . ..

some might want to change the "end' point of the forward pass (and thus a dropped ball is a fumble and not a incomplete pass) that is fine, but when one comes up with a better end point, considering all of the pros and cons of the new suggestion and the existing rule, i am all ears . . . cause not matter what end point you stick on the forward pass (once you have already deemed that it has started with the forward motion of the QB's arm), you gonna find a number of pros and cons with each end point . .. the NFL has simply decided to stick to the one they have . .. .

EDIT: I guess i am the 4th pats fan to comment . . .we are coming out of the woodwork on this tuck rule . . ..

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its ok. Lotta folks dont understand the rule or that its been called many times:)

glad to help;-)

jj, i think people get confused thinking that it is a separate rule or some kind of exception . .. but is merely is the end point of the forward pass, or well specifically, one point in which the QB forward pass stops and thus a loss of the ball is a fumble not a incomplete pass . . .

jj, i think people get confused thinking that it is a separate rule or some kind of exception . .. but is merely is the end point of the forward pass, or well specifically, one point in which the QB forward pass stops and thus a loss of the ball is a fumble not a incomplete pass . . .

you're right I keep forgetting it's not a tuck rule as much as the fwd pass rule. You explained it pefectly...as you always do ;)

Just realized something in the car today.

As we begin this new decade - The Giants and the Patriots are the only two teams to have played in a Superbowl in each of the last four decades - the 80s, 90, 00s, 10s,

interesting in deed. Would have never thought of that. Now how many of those are Parcells...

Local radio was talking about Boston-NY hate rivarly but with Jets,Rangers, and some degree Mets but not the Giants and most fans who called in agreed..there's no sense of the Boston-NY thing. One analysis was aside from not in the same division was the two teams are step brothers from the family of Parcells. And they seem to play each other every preseason;)

Just realized something in the car today.

As we begin this new decade - The Giants and the Patriots are the only two teams to have played in a Superbowl in each of the last four decades - the 80s, 90, 00s, 10s,

very interesting. I would never have realized that

Patriots practice halftime break at the Super Bowl

Patriots coach Bill Belichick is trying to make this week as normal as possible, but he recognizes that the Super Bowl is a different sort of game. With a different halftime.

That’s why Belichick had a 31-minute breakduring Wednesday’s practice to simulate halftime on Sunday.

I remember a preseason game once where he sent the back up in to simulate an injury.

The guy tries to think of everything. It such a shame that the Colts haven't had a coach close to this. EVER!

interesting in deed. Would have never thought of that. Now how many of those are Parcells...

Local radio was talking about Boston-NY hate rivarly but with Jets,Rangers, and some degree Mets but not the Giants and most fans who called in agreed..there's no sense of the Boston-NY thing. One analysis was aside from not in the same division was the two teams are step brothers from the family of Parcells. And they seem to play each other every preseason;)

theres simply no rivaly with the Giants, the 2 teams have played 1 meaningful game against each other since I've been alive. it's hard to have the same animosity as games with the jets or yankees

He simulates everything but some times I wonder if some of it is a bit much. 31 min break lol. who knows. maybe it does.

I had posted this before a long time ago but worth repeating.

The Rams SB might be the best game ever won by mostly coaching,

After winning the AFCCG he told Ernie (think tank for NE) I'm out gunned at every single postion. What do I do. BB said think of a plan and I will and we'll compare.

Ernie came back and said stop Faulk. BB smiled, thats what I came up with. They had gotten burned blitzing Warner earlier in the season. The plan was to hit Faulk every down whether he had the ball or not and make him pay.

So they simulated a player for Faulk in practice lining up at different positions.

Well the night before the SB some players were walking to dinner and BB walking behind them overheard them say...where's Faulk, where's Faulk as if in their sleep.

BB smiled...he knew he had done his job.

He simulates everything but some times I wonder if some of it is a bit much. 31 min break lol. who knows. maybe it does.

I had posted this before a long time ago but worth repeating.

The Rams SB might be the best game ever won by mostly coaching,

After winning the AFCCG he told Ernie (think tank for NE) I'm out gunned at every single postion. What do I do. BB said think of a plan and I will and we'll compare.

Ernie came back and said stop Faulk. BB smiled, thats what I came up with. They had gotten burned blitzing Warner earlier in the season. The plan was to hit Faulk every down whether he had the ball or not and make him pay.

So they simulated a player for Faulk in practice lining up at different positions.

Well the night before the SB some players were walking to dinner and BB walking behind them overheard them say...where's Faulk, where's Faulk as if in their sleep.

BB smiled...he knew he had done his job.

I don't see it as being too much.. Just like the QB injury example... You're doing a preseason game. the back up is on the sideline, likely half paying attention, you never know when QB1 goes downs(Bledsoe & Brady) can be used as examples... From what I remember he called a time out, had the QB2 throwing a few passes, taking a few snaps, and sent him out there to finish the series...

It's a game situation that can come up.

Like the half time. He practices for an hour or so... Has them sit for 31 minutes then brings then back out to practice. There might not be a huge advantage in it, but it is a simulation.

The closest thing I've read about the Colts doing anything like that was Manning/Saturday working with a bucket of water and wet footballs taking snaps leading up to XLI. They didn't miss a snap and Grossman had a couple and Saturday said it was Manning's idea.

I don't see it as being too much.. Just like the QB injury example... You're doing a preseason game. the back up is on the sideline, likely half paying attention, you never know when QB1 goes downs(Bledsoe & Brady) can be used as examples... From what I remember he called a time out, had the QB2 throwing a few passes, taking a few snaps, and sent him out there to finish the series...

It's a game situation that can come up.

Like the half time. He practices for an hour or so... Has them sit for 31 minutes then brings then back out to practice. There might not be a huge advantage in it, but it is a simulation.

The closest thing I've read about the Colts doing anything like that was Manning/Saturday working with a bucket of water and wet footballs taking snaps leading up to XLI. They didn't miss a snap and Grossman had a couple and Saturday said it was Manning's idea.

Ah yes, I remember the water bucket. It worked:)

Anyone given any thought to the Giants slowing down the Pats O with fake injuries? (mastered by the pats ;) )

The media keeps talking up the Pats hurry up offense, my question is how does the league handle fake injuries if the Giants decide to slow that offense down with a fall here and a fall there like they have done in the past? I know they had made a statement about it earlier this year warning of fines, suspensions and loss of draft picks if the league determined players faked injuries during a game.

Well this is the biggest game of the year - what can they do now? Fine? Worth it for a SB title - no? Suspension - the season is over! Really take draft picks without 100% proof it was faking? I hope the Giants have taken their drama lessons and its not so obvious!

Hawkeyes, the Giants did that twice this season in the regular season game against the Patriots.

It was obvious, too, and should have been heavily penalized.

Two Giant players literally looked at each other, and then one fell, and then the other. It was ridiculously lame.

Anyone given any thought to the Giants slowing down the Pats O with fake injuries? (mastered by the pats ;) )

The media keeps talking up the Pats hurry up offense, my question is how does the league handle fake injuries if the Giants decide to slow that offense down with a fall here and a fall there like they have done in the past? I know they had made a statement about it earlier this year warning of fines, suspensions and loss of draft picks if the league determined players faked injuries during a game.

Well this is the biggest game of the year - what can they do now? Fine? Worth it for a SB title - no? Suspension - the season is over! Really take draft picks without 100% proof it was faking? I hope the Giants have taken their drama lessons and its not so obvious!

They might fake a couple but they can only do it so many times. I don't think you can win a game based only on a fake injury or two.

LOL Viri..I remember the 2 Giant players going down looking at each other..wait I was supposed to go down not you.

Hawkeyes, the Giants did that twice this season in the regular season game against the Patriots.

It was obvious, too, and should have been heavily penalized.

Two Giant players literally looked at each other, and then one fell, and then the other. It was ridiculously lame.

It wasnt the Patriots game...it was earlier in the season...I want to say against the Rams maybe?

If that clip is about the Tuck Rule, please explain to me why:

1. Every expert in the rules has said that it was interpreted accurately, and

2. Why the NFL Competition Commiittee voted that iffseason to KEEP the rule.

(null)

Ive never seen tom brady throw with 2 hands from his chest. Thats when the ball came out.

Ive never seen tom brady throw with 2 hands from his chest. Thats when the ball came out.

Agree. ^cowpatties^ call that game. I know the rule but IMO Brady fumbled and always did. But, hey when you get the breaks you take em right?

I could tell Brady kinda knew he got away with one after the game anyway "Sure I was throwing the ball......*smirks*."

Like I said. Take the breaks when your team gets it. They tried to give GB the game vs. the Giants in the playoffs but it didn't work.

Agree. ^cowpatties^ call that game. I know the rule but IMO Brady fumbled and always did. But, hey when you get the breaks you take em right?

I could tell Brady kinda knew he got away with one after the game anyway "Sure I was throwing the ball......*smirks*."

Like I said. Take the breaks when your team gets it. They tried to give GB the game vs. the Giants in the playoffs but it didn't work.

Sure Brady smirked. He knew he fumbled it... by intent. But the refs don't rule on intent...they rule on the angle of the ball and although close, the angle was the correct call.

Many times in life you might do something wrong but the actual rule, the letter of the rule will say different.