Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest weakness going into camp and most potential to improve from last season?

theanarchist

What's everyone think? I think we can all agree that this team has some pretty glaring weaknesses, in no particular order- offensive line, pass rush, defensive secondary, RB depth.

Those are the ones that I see.Personally I think we are going to struggle all year with rushing the passer. This area of the team wasn't addressed at all in the off season and its an aging group of players. Hopefully the down linemen can provide some push and pick up the slack that I think is going to be created by the lack of a true edge rush threat. No disrespect to Robert Mathis but he isn't in his prime and even tho I think he'll provide some pass rush he isnt likely to produce double digit sacks this year nor is any of the other options that I see at OLB.

I think the offensive line has the most potential for improvement. The combination of a new coach and one who is well respected along with the addition of a lot of young talent there should hopefully keep Luck in the game and provide some holes for the RB's.

I'm fairly worried about the secondary. Outside of Vontae Davis the CB position is shaky in my opinion. At safety we have an aging Mike Adams at one spot and a 2nd year player who will need to acclimate quickly. I wasn't impressed with the selection of Green in the 2nd round. After watching some video on him it makes me wonder how they thought this guy was worth a 2nd round pick and I don't see any way he can provide much of anything in his first year beyond maybe special teams. Hope I'm wrong.

The RB situation is also a bit concerning, beyond the aging Frank Gore(who I really like and have always been a fan), we have some unknowns. Not only running the ball but in pass protection. Can the young guys block?

It's sure to be an interesting year.

Between Maggitt, Bates, Thompson I think we'll get at least one good young pass rusher out of the group that's better than Newsome was.  There's also going to be some other young pass rushers we can pick up like Victor Ochi and some of these other small school guys that we were talking about before the draft that may get cut just due to sheer numbers.  Same way we found T.Y. McGill last year.

I definitely believe Mathis will get at least 10 sacks this year because he's healthy.  He got what 7 to 8 sacks and he wasn't even healthy last year.  No reason for me to accept that he will get less when healthy.  Also I don't think you can expect Trent Cole to end up with 3 sacks again.  I do think he isn't the same player as he used to be, but 3 sacks I think was an anomaly. He was around the football last year. Just didn't finish.

Combine that with some of the interior pass rushers like Ridgeway and Ty McGill.  A hopefully Healthy Art Jones and then you add the most important element which people seem to skip over.  That element is having an offense that scores more than 10 points a game .  Hard to get sacks when your team is not scoring points. That's what we were faced with last year.  Healthy production from the offense leads to more Pass Rushing Attempts.   I believe the coaches went over the film and said "Hey you know if we could have gotten something out of our offense we would have had way more pass rushing opportunities because the other team would be forced into passing to come from behind".  

The offense plays a big role in the issue.

Biggest weakness is offensive line until proven otherwise! (Wide Reciever would be #2 for me. If one injury occurs to a starter the Colts would be in trouble.)

Biggest improvement will be QB play if Luck stays healthy/D Line play.

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Biggest weakness is offensive line until proven otherwise! (Wide Reciever would be #2 for me. If one injury occurs to a starter the Colts would be in trouble.)

Biggest improvement will be QB play if Luck stays healthy/D Line play.

Hmmm I disagree with the WR being your number 2 weakness. T.y and donte will produce. Watch the Miami game from last year and how dorsett played, that's the level that I think he will play above this season. Also after doing some in depth research I really think we have some udfa wr steals

17 minutes ago, twfish said:

Hmmm I disagree with the WR being your number 2 weakness. T.y and donte will produce. Watch the Miami game from last year and how dorsett played, that's the level that I think he will play above this season. Also after doing some in depth research I really think we have some udfa wr steals

Good UDFA players, and you also have Veteran guys like Tyms, Boyce along with Quan Bray.   I think we'll be fine.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

It seems many agree with you! Lol

In my original post I said its #2 because if we lose a guy it becomes our weakest imo.

Obviously if we don't it could be a good/great group. Dorsett needs to stay healthy though.

I'm going to go outside the box as well and go with RB. Gore is an icon but behind him we have two questionable backups and a rookie pass catching back. There's a little potential but no feature RB of the future there.

OLB is a more important position and we need help there just as bad, but we at least have some young talent that should be dying to prove they have what it takes to step up on a weak unit on a contending team.

The pass rush is the biggest weakness by far. We haven't done anything that might improve it except getting a new DC.

The OL has the most potential for improvement. Securing the center position will be big and we have a lot of depth and young talent. But that also means the QB play should increase ten fold.

On 7/22/2016 at 6:15 PM, CheezyColt said:

I'm going to go outside the box as well and go with RB. Gore is an icon but behind him we have two questionable backups and a rookie pass catching back. There's a little potential but no feature RB of the future there.

OLB is a more important position and we need help there just as bad, but we at least have some young talent that should be dying to prove they have what it takes to step up on a weak unit on a contending team.

i like this.

On July 22, 2016 at 7:15 PM, CheezyColt said:

What young talent?  Some undrafted dudes?  I hope they turn out, but the percentage of 7th rounders and UDFA that make an impact is pretty small.

I'd say biggest weaknesses are pass rush and OL until we seem them better.  Biggest potential improvement would likely be OL with all the new bodies they brought in and QB if he reverts back to 2013-2014 form and stays upright.

A lot of good points folks, and they sum up why I think we need a year more before the team is ready to take off (again). The O-Line should need a year to develop and gel, and we probably need the draft in 2017 to get more talent at rush and RB. Gathers and Green need a year of development too (especially Green), so while the offensive looks almost good to go, defensive definitely need a year of development under a new DC. 

Future looks bright so I'm not complaining at all. And this season will be fun too, especially if your expectations aren't too high. :rock:

Well I believe our biggest improvement was the offensive line.  Actually drafting a top tier center was a good move.  But i'm not in love with our running back situation at all.  Frank Gore is almost 50 and who's running behind him?  Not to mention our defensive line is guilty until proven innocent in my opinion :thmdown:.  Arhtur Jones was our big money signing a few years ago and has only played in 9 games (I Believe) since his tinier here in Indy.  One move I did like was drafting Hassan Ridgeway, he should contribute immediately.  His stock dropped due to Injury concerns.  And how will this new Defensive coordinator call plays?  These are just some of my concerns.  Oh and by the way Jacksonville and Tennessee are much improved i'm just saying.  

On 7/22/2016 at 8:21 AM, krunk said:

I think our group of Safeties is kind of weak.

That's because you hate TJ Green. ;)

Adams and Geathers starting should be fine, based on the limited sample of Geathers from last year. I'm assuming whatever injury he has right now isn't major and he'll be healthy. Unlike Lowery, I think Geathers has some playmaking ability, and can really prowl and hit in the box.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's because you hate TJ Green. ;)

Adams and Geathers starting should be fine, based on the limited sample of Geathers from last year. I'm assuming whatever injury he has right now isn't major and he'll be healthy. Unlike Lowery, I think Geathers has some playmaking ability, and can really prowl and hit in the box.

You haven't checked the posts I've made after the draft.   I don't hate Green anymore.   They just don't have according to them much plan to force him into playing time outside of special teams and whatever other match up type roles they give him. I do have concerns when it comes to the blown coverages if he does end up playing safety. 

I don't think Geathers will be all that great in space coverage wise, although I do like him as a hitter making plays in the box.   Supe I'm sorry but I don't see Geathers making near as many plays on the ball as Lowery did last year and I don't think he'll be better in coverage.  Not that Lowery was awesome but I don't see Geathers being better in any shape coverage and playmaking wise when it comes to the pass.

Just now, krunk said:

You haven't checked the posts I've made after the draft.   I don't hate Green anymore.   They just don't have according to them much plan to force him into playing time outside of special teams and whatever other match up type roles they give him.  I don't think Geathers will be all that great in space coverage wise, although I do like him as a hitter.   Supe I'm sorry but I don't see Geathers making near as many plays on the ball as Lowery did last year and I don't think he'll be better in coverage.  Not that Lowery was awesome but I don't see Geathers being better in any shape coverage and playmaking wise when it comes to the pass.

I'm pretty sure all of Lowery's 'plays on the ball' were tipped passes that he was able to intercept. Good for him, but he wasn't making plays on the ball, he was benefiting from someone else's work. Good hands, for sure. He was solid, didn't get beat a lot, but probably too tentative. And he was only serviceable in the box.

Geathers brings it. I don't know how good he'll be in coverage, that remains to be seen, but he did okay last year. I don't see him as a deep guy, I see him as a prototypical strong safety who can line up with TEs, but is most effective making plays in front of him. You might call him a downhill thumper, but that has the connotation that he can't cover or isn't good in space, and I don't think either of those things are true.

As for Green, I was just kidding. I saw your more recent opinions on him.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm pretty sure all of Lowery's 'plays on the ball' were tipped passes that he was able to intercept. Good for him, but he wasn't making plays on the ball, he was benefiting from someone else's work. Good hands, for sure. He was solid, didn't get beat a lot, but probably too tentative. And he was only serviceable in the box.

Geathers brings it. I don't know how good he'll be in coverage, that remains to be seen, but he did okay last year. I don't see him as a deep guy, I see him as a prototypical strong safety who can line up with TEs, but is most effective making plays in front of him. You might call him a downhill thumper, but that has the connotation that he can't cover or isn't good in space, and I don't think either of those things are true.

As for Green, I was just kidding. I saw your more recent opinions on him.

Supe I like Geathers, but I just don't feel good that he'll be able to cover very well.   I wouldn't line him up on anything else other than a Tight End.  It remains to be seen so I can't do anything but wait and see.  I see him as a very similar player to Bernard Pollard.  Maybe a bit less athletic than Pollard.  I'll watch how they go about playing him. I hope I'm wrong about it.

4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I thought Lowery was a good player with very nice awareness. I was a bit disappointed to see him go.

I wouldn't disagree with the bolded. I just said he wasn't a playmaker. I know he had 4 picks and took one back, and that's awesome, but everyone of those picks was off a tipped pass. Good awareness, able to finish the play, that's great, but he didn't make the play.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Supe I just don't feel good that he'll be able to cover very well.   I wouldn't line him up on anything else other than a Tight End.  It remains to be seen so I can't do anything but wait and see.  I see him as a very similar player to Bernard Pollard.  Maybe a bit less athletic than Pollard.  I hope I'm wrong about it.

I agree on the bolded. 

I'm definitely not calling him Eric Berry or Harrison Smith.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree on the bolded. 

I'm definitely not calling him Eric Berry or Harrison Smith.

And we don't have another guy that fits the box safety mold outside of him.  If he gets hurt who are we putting there?  Maybe TJ Green, not that he won't tackle but I still don't think he's all that physical.  If not him we are down to guys like Southward who isn't a box safety, then there's Guy who they don't seem to have any plans to put in.  I like the UDFA Stefan Mclure, but who knows if he'll even make the team.   I think things get even more hazy if Adams gets hurt at any point.  I don't think the group is that deep

15 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Yeah probably Pass rush and RB that really questionable running back depth.

Most potential to improve from last season is probably Luck, but the o-line should hopefully improve too.

For this scheme(much of the same stuff he did with Seattle)  I think Turbin will be a fine back up.  I think they'll wind up sticking with him over Varga just due to playoff/superbowl/playing experience as a whole. Turbin actually gets better with increased carries, and he's good in short yardage and the passing game.  I have no doubt in my mind Ferguson can handle the third down scat back role as a pass catcher.   I don't have much clue if he can pass protect. There's some question mark as far what type of runner he'll be.

Personally I think Trey Williams is going to ball in the preseason, but they'll probably stick with their boy Ferguson in the end unless he just doesn't show much.

18 hours ago, BOTT said:

What young talent?  Some undrafted dudes?  I hope they turn out, but the percentage of 7th rounders and UDFA that make an impact is pretty small.

You're not wrong, here. I guess what I was going for is that at RB we have Josh Ferguson and....? At OLB both Maggitt and Thompson have potential, we drafted the 7th rounder and have Okine converting. So they at least have development prospects in place.

Either way, both positions need to be addressed early in next year's draft IMO.

8 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

You're not wrong, here. I guess what I was going for is that at RB we have Josh Ferguson and....? At OLB both Maggitt and Thompson have potential, we drafted the 7th rounder and have Okine converting. So they at least have development prospects in place.

Either way, both positions need to be addressed early in next year's draft IMO.

I wouldn't ever spend an early pick on a RB. The position isn't of great importance.

I feel tons more comfortable with what's behind old man Gore than I do about what's behind old man Mathis/Cole.  Hard to have a good defense when you don't have a pass rush.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I wouldn't ever spend an early pick on a RB. The position isn't of great importance.

I feel tons more comfortable with what's behind old man Gore than I do about what's behind old man Mathis/Cole.  Hard to have a good defense when you don't have a pass rush.

I personally wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on a RB,  unless my 53-man roster was loaded and a great RB was the only missing piece left.

But I'd be happy to spend any other pick on a quality RB.    So,  this coming year,  I hope we spend a 2nd or a 3rd on a RB who will step in and start ahead of Gore.     RB may be devalued,   but I don't think it's that unimportant.

Just a different perspective.....

Oh,  as for pass rush,  I have the Colts spending a 1st and a 3rd on an OLB next draft.     Pass rush is priority #1 in 2017.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I personally wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on a RB,  unless my 53-man roster was loaded and a great RB was the only missing piece left.

But I'd be happy to spend any other pick on a quality RB.    So,  this coming year,  I hope we spend a 2nd or a 3rd on a RB who will step in and start ahead of Gore.     RB may be devalued,   but I don't think it's that unimportant.

Just a different perspective.....

Oh,  as for pass rush,  I have the Colts spending a 1st and a 3rd on an OLB next draft.     Pass rush is priority #1 in 2017.

I could have worded that better.  I don't think the position is unimportant, but the player in that position isn't of great importance.....if that makes sense.  It sounds cruel, but that position is so often short lived I don't see the point of spending a high pick on one....unless, like you said, you have a stacked roster.

20 hours ago, krunk said:

For this scheme(much of the same stuff he did with Seattle)  I think Turbin will be a fine back up.  I think they'll wind up sticking with him over Varga just due to playoff/superbowl/playing experience as a whole. Turbin actually gets better with increased carries, and he's good in short yardage and the passing game.  I have no doubt in my mind Ferguson can handle the third down scat back role as a pass catcher.   I don't have much clue if he can pass protect. There's some question mark as far what type of runner he'll be.

Personally I think Trey Williams is going to ball in the preseason, but they'll probably stick with their boy Ferguson in the end unless he just doesn't show much.

Yeah, I see the potential there too. I had no issues with Turbin and thought he was a good selection for a back up role,  but I guess I just say questionable because our RB turnover rate from last year shows that, behind Gore, I've not see these guys play a down on our team yet.