Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign tommie harris

hockey878

Absolutely. We virtually got to the AFCCG without Dallas and Collie and Wayne disappears when it counts, whilst our D was getting gashed for fun. Think what we'd do with 2 run stuffing DT's? Manning would have so many more drives to make Garcon, Tamme, White and Collie invincibl. Trade Addai as well, and make do with Brown, Carter, Hart, James etc. A decent O-line is all we need, right? And I believe we are putting one of those together at last.

Sticking to the same old tired philosophy is not bringing the rewards a superstar QB deserves.

But we haven't got the guts to go for it. Play it safe, keep my job.

It's a shame.

When did we get to the AFCCG without Dallas and Collie?

It's interesting, what you're advocating is exactly what the Patriots did in 2005 and 2006, and they didn't win anything in those years. Lost to us in the AFCCG, the team with no run defense and a bunch of offensive stars. Then they reloaded, went undefeated through the regular season, and lost to a team with a great defensive line in the Super Bowl. Sucks for them, but that's how it goes.

Just goes to show that there's no perfect way to win a championship. It's not an exact science. But I don't think it's wise to neuter what's always worked -- in this case, our offense -- in the interests of building a stellar defense. First of all, there's no guarantee that if you go out and add star defensive players that you're going to have a top notch defense. We already have a top notch offense. A bird in the hand, right?

I'd like to see us add some talent to the middle of the defensive line. I like the guys we have, but we're missing a piece, I think.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, that was vs Hutchinson (most of the time), one of the top 2 LG in the NFL for the past 10 years or so.

Great observation - I was just about to point that out too!

I'll be happy if just ONE of either Ernie Sims, Jamaal Anderson or Tommie Harris work out and become an impact player.

Harris is still young, maybe a change of scenery and a chance to get healthy by playing in a rotation could have him poised to return to form for the following season

People say his knees are jello and he isn't effective anymore, but I certainly think the potential is still there and he can be a solid player for us. I can't wait to see how he (and all our other players) do in the pre-season

Regardless of whether he's lost a step or not, he's an improvement over anything the Colts had on the roster at DT and the last time the Colts had DTs as good, it was back in 05 and 06 (Simon and Booger) and those were basically the 2 best defenses the Colts have had in the last decade.

Regardless of whether he's lost a step or not, he's an improvement over anything the Colts had on the roster at DT and the last time the Colts had DTs as good, it was back in 05 and 06 (Simon and Booger) and those were basically the 2 best defenses the Colts have had in the last decade.

Simon and Booger were never on the team at the same time and 06 was one of the worst years of D we ever had - we had a HISTORICALLY bad run defense (not just bad but I mean HISTORICALLY bad) that limped into the play-offs having been overrun by everyone (Ron Dayne looked like Jim Brown) ..they got lucky that they played 3 inept offenses in the play-offs and also get hot for 4 games.

Otherwise I agree - at the very least he has to be an upgrade over Eric Foster

Simon and Booger were never on the team at the same time and 06 was one of the worst years of D we ever had - we had a HISTORICALLY bad run defense (not just bad but I mean HISTORICALLY bad) that limped into the play-offs having been overrun by everyone (Ron Dayne looked like Jim Brown) ..they got lucky that they played 3 inept offenses in the play-offs and also get hot for 4 games.

I have to laugh everytime someone claims the Colts got lucky in the playoffs because they played three bad offenses.

Like people don't remember

vs Chiefs - Many Colts fans and pundits picked the Chiefs as the wildcard team most likely to advance. They had their 1700+ yard rusher 230lb Larry Johnson. They were going to run all over the Colts. Johnson got 32 yards on 13 carries.

vs Ravens - Many Colts fans and pundits picked Baltimore to move onto the AFC Championship game. J. Lewis was going to run all over the Colts especially because (now they were saying) unlike the Chiefs the Ravens had a QB who could beat the Colts throwing if they stacked the line against the run. Lewis had 53 yards on 13 carries, McNair completed a high percentage of passes but couldn't pick up a first down and threw 2 INTs.

vs Pats - Colts were going to lose because the Pats had their number and the Pats played better in a dome than any dome team. Didn't happen.

vs Bears okay most people thought their offense could be bad because of Grossman. But many Colts fans and pundits were saying the Bears had the best chance to beat the Colts because they had an awesome running game with Jones/Benson, they had a defense that could stall Manning and if the good Rex shows up they could move the ball.

After the Colts won the SB then(and only then) did people start saying they got lucky with the teams they played in the playoffs.

BOT - That video of Harris is cool. The reason the Colts were able to sign him, cheaply is because there are no highlight videos of him in 2010. That is cause for concern. But it's a low risk/high possible reward signing so it's not bad at all.

I watched a workout video of his from 2010. If his knees are jello, it didnt show there.

He might be a bit slower off the snap, but they say he was unblockable before. So what if hes only unblockable some of the time! lol!

Anyway, if Nevis ends up as good on the field as he has been in camp so far, and Harris is 75% of his original self (could be better with rest and rehab), having a D-line on passing downs of Mathis Nevis Harris Freeney should be enough to get under the skin of any QB.

Wishful thinking, I know, but a guy can dream...

Under edit:

My bad...the video was July 09. Great sense of humor though!

If he can give us at least 60-70% of what was in that video...we'll be in good shape. Moala is poised for a breakout year (I hope anyway). He made progress last year, and year 3 is usually the breakout year for DL players. Hopefully Fili put on a bit more weight. I'd love to see him, Harris, Foster, Johnson, and Nevis in a nice 5 man rotation...That would be a nice upgrade over last year, IF Harris and Nevis pan out

Hm, yes. Thats why I said 05 and 06.

You dont recall how 06 ended? I mean, players coming back late in the season, healthy, just in time for the playoffs?

Great observation - I was just about to point that out too!

I'll be happy if just ONE of either Ernie Sims, Jamaal Anderson or Tommie Harris work out and become an impact player.

Harris is still young, maybe a change of scenery and a chance to get healthy by playing in a rotation could have him poised to return to form for the following season

Very good point. I remember reading an interview with BP on here talking about how he tries to hit on at least 3 or 4 (I can't remember the exact number) of the draft picks + UFAs each year, and to wait and grade the draft after 5 seasons. I'm looking at our signings the same way; If we can at least hit one of those guys, then the whole experiment was a success IMO.

They are TRIPLE teaming Harris out there. No wonder he was hurt last year and had a falling out with the Bears. He knew his time was short getting ganged up on like that. No wonder he mentioned the Colts by name. Playing between the best DE tandem in football, he will be a monster! Triple team him like that, your Qb is getting leveled. People are going to have a hard time dealing with our D line this year.

His 6 game stretch last year was still better than anything we've seen from a DT since Booger. If he can stay healthy, we just found our DT. At least healthy for the playoffs! The defense is actually looking good this year if we stay healthy! Between Sims and Harris, they could finally take the pressure off of our secondary!

Freeney/Harris/Moala/Mathis is going to be awesome!

He was reportedly on the field at camp today talking with Freeney and Mathis, I believe Phil B reported.

He can't practice until the new CBA is fully ratified and he is legal to practice with us, which seems to be scheduled for tomorrow at 4 PM.

& as we signed alot of players late that applies to something like 13 players

Because of rules included in the new collective bargaining agreement, veterans who signed after July 26 are not allowed to practice until the start of the official new league year, which is Thursday afternoon

(((( THOUGH READ TODAY THAT MEANS FIRST PRACTICE ALLOWED IS FRIDAY AM AS THURS AFTERNOON means practices will be done for day by that time allowed, sorry no link ))))

place-kicker Adam Vinatieri, safeties Melvin Bullitt and Al Afalava; offensive tackle Ryan Diem; running back Joseph Addai; quarterbacks Nate Davis and Dan Orlovsky; offensive linemen Kyle DeVan and Michael Toudouze; defensive lineman Eric Foster; defensive tackle Antonio Johnson; and linebacker Danny Beckwith.

That list also includes quarterback Peyton Manning, who opened camp on the physically unable to perform list.

& add also we have the below so many not practicing

Wide receiver Blair White also is on PUP with a back issue.

My link

& already injured

Posted Yesterday, 04:50 AM

WR-Taj Smith (Hamstring)

DB-Kevin Thomas (Quad)

DT-DeMario Pressley (Hamstring)

OG-Mike Pollak (Hamstring)

TE-Brody Eldridge (Knee)

DT-Fili Moala (Foot)

My link

man, i pray that he wont be a fat albert issue...but i think hes a decent pick up.....im really hoping for that moss signing though for one year would be great for him and even better if it works out in our favor in the long run.