Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign tommie harris

hockey878

Not a chance in the world Harris jumps Moala without even a competition.

You're telling me that a 3 time Pro Bowler can't beat a backup. I know he hasn't done anything with us yet, but it's a safe bet he gets the starting job. Plus Chicago's defense is similar to ours, it's a 4-3 defense, and run many of the same plays. Plus Lovie Smith uses the Tampa 2 defense, which is the same as what Tony Dungy used, and I'm pretty sure the Colts still use a Tampa 2. Two similar defenses, which means similar results. Harris beats Moala handily.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now our DT position looks like this:

1. Tommie Harris

2. Antonio Johnson

3. Fili Moala

4. Drake Nevis

5. Demario Pressley

6. Ricardo Matthews

Eric Foster switches back to backup DE.

No way Harris will be at the top of the list....I like the signing because what could it hurt, but realistically it would be shocking if he can contribute. I hope very much that I am wrong, and he is a top of the line starter,but I don't think I am in. I am by no means questioning the move however, I like putting as many eggs as possible in our basket.

1. Tommie Harris

2. Antonio Johnson

3. Fili Moala

4. Drake Nevis

5. Demario Pressley

6. Ricardo Matthews

You are really overrating Tommie. The guy has done nothing in two years and has a bum knee.

I would put him 4th on that list behind Mookie, Moala, and Nevis. He could make it up to three since Nevis is a rookie, but he has much more upside and I rather see him get time then Harris.

This signing just gets a big meh from me, but I understand the signing since it is a low risk move and could have a decent reward.

You're telling me that a 3 time Pro Bowler can't beat a backup. I know he hasn't done anything with us yet, but it's a safe bet he gets the starting job. Plus Chicago's defense is similar to ours, it's a 4-3 defense, and run many of the same plays. Plus Lovie Smith uses the Tampa 2 defense, which is the same as what Tony Dungy used, and I'm pretty sure the Colts still use a Tampa 2. Two similar defenses, which means similar results. Harris beats Moala handily.

Seriously....let's keep it in perspective

Moala is a starter; started all 16 last season, and played very well. Harris started 5 games last year, and was a healthy scratch in another game.

Harris fits, and could very well be a great add. But he's not the key to our season hopes, he's not even a lock for the final 53. If he has anything left and gets into the rotation, he'll pay dividends. If not, oh well. He's not our best tackle, though. Not close.

This reminds me of when we signed Simeon Rice in 2007: former Pro Bowler, similar system, used to play for Dungy in Tampa, had injury concerns, was cut ... and did NOTHING for us on the field. Nothing. I think people should temper their expectations.

Moala is a starter; started all 16 last season, and played very well. Harris started 5 games last year, and was a healthy scratch in another game.

Harris fits, and could very well be a great add. But he's not the key to our season hopes, he's not even a lock for the final 53. If he has anything left and gets into the rotation, he'll pay dividends. If not, oh well. He's not our best tackle, though. Not close.

This reminds me of when we signed Simeon Rice in 2007: former Pro Bowler, similar system, used to play for Dungy in Tampa, had injury concerns, was cut ... and did NOTHING for us on the field. Nothing. I think people should temper their expectations.

Even with injuries last year, we are getting a veteran presence with tons of experience which may help bring along Nevis & he still may have potential if injury bug stays away, The injuries piled last year up and just maybe took much out of him last year. With the long rest lets hope for the best & with more bodies we now have on DL, rotations will keep guys fresh and hopefully injury free

Do agree he is a shade of his former stud past and we will have to see how he wworks out, but it gives some Vertan help & presence and hopefully some leadership qualities as well. I am sure his heart desires it and he will try his very best, Thats all we could ask at this time

Just saw it scrolled across NFL network again

No way Harris will be at the top of the list....I like the signing because what could it hurt, but realistically it would be shocking if he can contribute. I hope very much that I am wrong, and he is a top of the line starter,but I don't think I am in. I am by no means questioning the move however, I like putting as many eggs as possible in our basket.

Why would it be shocking??? Ppl act like the guy got his legs cut off or something, do you guys remember Booger McFarland? he was pretty productive wasnt he and look at his age. Harris still has plenty of game in him left the guy is only 28.

Superbowl in Indy, here we come!!!!! Making smart moves, now these guys have to make a play for it on the field... I know they will... Oh, one of the bleacher report writers (forgot his name now) predicted the Browns to upset the Colts week 2 this year, just so you all know. (personally, I think anything's possible, but I don't see that happening)

I just love all the "let's sign Tommie Harris" threads that were on here just a few weeks ago....and now that we have him, a lot of forum folks are questioning the signing.

I don't get it! You all wanted FAs this year, and the Colts actually went out and did that, and now people are whining. Granted they are not the "big names" like other teams, but given the Colts cap situation you can't expect to sign big name FAs....First, the new salary cap hurts that even with Manning's lower cap contract. Second, the Colts don't normally go out and sign big name FAs. Harris, Sims, and to a lesser degree Anderson...those are major moves for a team that usually doesn't do anything in free agency.

Let's see how the preseason plays out.

Getting past the part you ignored about him not passing Moala without at least a competition...

Tommie Harris hasn't made a Pro Bowl since 2007. He showed a very obvious decline in explosiveness and power after playing through a number of knee injuries. I think he can be a contributor, but there is a good reason a 28 year old former 3 time Pro Bowler and 1 time All Pro signed a one year deal after seeing a rather weak market. He could rebound and be that Tommie Harris that was a stud coming out of Oklahoma, but he'll have to prove that against a rising talent like Moala.

Why would it be shocking??? Ppl act like the guy got his legs cut off or something, do you guys remember Booger McFarland? he was pretty productive wasnt he and look at his age. Harris still has plenty of game in him left the guy is only 28.

Age isn't everything when injuries take their toll. You can never discount injuries from a guy with chronic injuries after rupturing his left hamstring.

1. Tommie Harris

2. Antonio Johnson

3. Fili Moala

4. Drake Nevis

5. Demario Pressley

6. Ricardo Matthews

Pressley is not ahead of Matthews either. His play as a rookie was way better than Moala's as a rookie.

2010 Stats

Moala 16 GS, 26 Combo Tkl, 20 Total Tkl, 0.0 sacks...

Tommie (with his bum knee) 6 GS, 13 Combo Tkl, 9 Total Tkl, 1.5 sacks...

Moala better step his game up. I honestly hope Harris is healthy, looks great working out and learning the system and starts. Noone knows how he will fair, could be great could be bad. All the criticism is uneccesary though. It is nice to have a DT that can sack a QB for once atleast.. ;)

Whats not to like about this signing? If the guy earns a spot on the 53 man roster, that means he was better than a guy who didn't. While the guy has an injury history, so do a lot of guys. Urlacher has an injury history, and yet he produced at a high level last year.

To me, if this guy can prove he's somewhat past his injuries, he can give us an excellent pass rush presence in the middle to go with Freeney and Mathis. If he gets hobbled up in preseason/camp, he's gone unless they see something worth waiting for. It's a win/win.

I'm liking the look of things this offseason. We potentially have a DE that could spell Freeney and Mathis on rush downs in Anderson, and a DT to become part of the rotation on passing downs. If they can mix the guys around enough, we could potentially have a very fresh line at the end of the season, en route to a long playoff run (hopefully).

For me, I am glad they are at least skimming the FA pool for potential guys who need a second chance. If one of these three (Anderson, Harris, Sims) pans out, it'll be a homerun on the account that they didn't have to give up anything to get them.

wonder what happened when visited Pats & evaluated, did we give a better offer, did they determine he has nothing left and didnt give an offer at all, I know all during lockout he was talked about coming here, but did we ever evaluate him physically ?????

But still a worthwhile signing for that may just pan out

Whats not to like about this signing? If the guy earns a spot on the 53 man roster, that means he was better than a guy who didn't. While the guy has an injury history, so do a lot of guys. Urlacher has an injury history, and yet he produced at a high level last year.

To me, if this guy can prove he's somewhat past his injuries, he can give us an excellent pass rush presence in the middle to go with Freeney and Mathis. If he gets hobbled up in preseason/camp, he's gone unless they see something worth waiting for. It's a win/win.

I'm liking the look of things this offseason. We potentially have a DE that could spell Freeney and Mathis on rush downs in Anderson, and a DT to become part of the rotation on passing downs. If they can mix the guys around enough, we could potentially have a very fresh line at the end of the season, en route to a long playoff run (hopefully).

For me, I am glad they are at least skimming the FA pool for potential guys who need a second chance. If one of these three (Anderson, Harris, Sims) pans out, it'll be a homerun on the account that they didn't have to give up anything to get them.

Don't we already have a DE to spell Freeney & Mathis on rushing downs? 1st Rounder? Remember?

Don't we already have a DE to spell Freeney & Mathis on rushing downs? 1st Rounder? Remember?

As usual your malice towards anything Polian clouds what little logic you may have.

Hueghs was not brought in to spell Freeney and Mathis on rushing downs. He was brought in to spell them in general, provide a second pass rusher if one them went down ( which has hurt us in the post season several times)

and become the eventual replacement for Mathis or, God forbid, Freeney. Anyone who knows anything about the Colts knows that.

So are you suggesting Polian should show the stubbornness you accuse him of and not sign someone that could help. Of course not. We need more than 3 DE's and this guy, Anderson, has a skill set that no one else on the team possesses. The presence of Hueghs on the roster has nothing to do with this, nor does this suggest that Hueghs is a bust ( which he may or may not be ). It's another one of their low risk high potential reward moves.

I do appreciate that Polian has at least been open to signing players this offseason, but Harris is damaged goods to say the least. It would surprise me if he even makes the final roster unless he's had some kind of miracle knee procedure that has cured him. I hope they are not done bringing in people. Maybe Whitner and Pat Williams.

he makes the 53, i'll drink a sweaty buffalo (drink). trust me, i don't want to drink that, it has cottage cheese in it!! no way in bakersfield he makes the cut. his knees are like Norwegian cheese. Lot's of holes these days.

Gosh. It must be pretty awesome to have an NFL player as your best friend. You guys must know every personal thing about eachother. Dang, you even know how his body even feels. Or are you his personel doctor?

As usual your malice towards anything Polian clouds what little logic you may have.

Hueghs was not brought in to spell Freeney and Mathis on rushing downs. He was brought in to spell them in general, provide a second pass rusher if one them went down ( which has hurt us in the post season several times)

and become the eventual replacement for Mathis or, God forbid, Freeney. Anyone who knows anything about the Colts knows that.

So are you suggesting Polian should show the stubbornness you accuse him of and not sign someone that could help. Of course not. We need more than 3 DE's and this guy, Anderson, has a skill set that no one else on the team possesses. The presence of Hueghs on the roster has nothing to do with this, nor does this suggest that Hueghs is a bust ( which he may or may not be ). It's another one of their low risk high potential reward moves.

Semantics my friend. You knew exactly what I meant. I have no malice towards Bill whatsoever. Just his poor management decisions. If he makes a good move, I'll applaud. You are no different if a player stinks it up during a game. Please get off your high horse and stop hugging our front office so tightly.

I don't care if he doesn't register a single sack... Just don't let the other team run the ball at will. Cause problems when their offensive line goes to run block, and when the stand up to pass block try to earn a double team to help out Freeney or Mathis on the outside.

We rotate on the DT position a lot, and the least he will do is help with the rotation. He's a 3 time pro-bowler. I'm sure he knows what to do. Oh, And he probably really wants that Superbowl Ring.

i think he will benifit from a fresh start kind of like albert hanesworth. When a team believes in your abilities when another team cuts you or realese you that better light a fire under youre performance :number1: