Colts sign tommie harris

hockey878

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know why this excites me?

Because Tommie Harris can possibly teach this guys a lot. Will he? I don't know. But Harris, in his prime, was a premier Tampa 2 DT. I'm hoping he's motivated and can still go, but the potential as a mentor alone is certainly worth it.

I'm assuming we had a call in to Franklin, who just signed with the Saints. Tommie Harris is the next best tackle available. But I'm assuming this means we're looking at a mostly three-tech rotation, with AJ being the only standout. Worked in 2005, and it should be fine as long as our linemen play with discipline. No doubt about it that Harris is/was a good player. If we have a four man rotation of AJ, Harris, Nevis and Moala, with Foster/Mathews getting spot minutes, plus we have Freeney, Mathis, Hughes and Anderson, that's an improvement from last season, for sure.

I'm assuming we had a call in to Franklin, who just signed with the Saints. Tommie Harris is the next best tackle available. But I'm assuming this means we're looking at a mostly three-tech rotation, with AJ being the only standout. Worked in 2005, and it should be fine as long as our linemen play with discipline. No doubt about it that Harris is/was a good player. If we have a four man rotation of AJ, Harris, Nevis and Moala, with Foster/Mathews getting spot minutes, plus we have Freeney, Mathis, Hughes and Anderson, that's an improvement from last season, for sure.

Cheers!!

From what I've read, it sounds like he hasn't been as much of a factor the past few years, but I do believe it's an upgrade...especially if he doesn't have to be in every down!...I like the idea of being able to rotate and our whole season not ruined if one guy goes out b/c of injury. Maybe a different team is what this guy needs to play to the caliber he has in the past (We can hope). With small upgrades here and there on the defensive side of the ball (like the ones made yesterday and today), we can become that defense that can sustain the lead...what our team's philosophy seems to be. It will be really interesting to see how much better we are able to stop the run with the moves that've been made lately. I believe these moves will get the D off the field faster and get Peyton on the field more. All 3 guys we've pick up seem to really target the rusher. I like these small, low-risk pick-ups!

I'd just like to add that anyone who thinks this is the signing going to push us over the top is crazy.

I don't think anyone thinks this will put us over the top per say. But the collection of signings between Anderson, Sims, and Harris can only make this team better.

Wait, I thought that the Cilts didn't sign players of questionable character?

Is that myth now completely dispelled?

That was one of the questions I had about him in another thread. What were the issues in CHI. Clearly, whatever they were it's something the team feels it can deal with. Delone Carter, Rucker....and some from the past come to mind. Depends on the issues and where the individual stands in the team's discretion.

Very good signing in getting Harris. At the very least, he will help mentor Drake Nevis since they are basically the same player in that they both have explosiveness to their game.

But man can you imagine if these recent players signed can be reborn in this system? Talk about a beastly defense!!!

This quote comes from a write-up by Colts_Insider 1 hour before signing..."Still, despite declining skills, his stats the last two years are better than any other DT currently on the Colts roster."

Again...Love these touches we're finally making in FA...Big names?...No, but they give us experience and depth.

Here's the link... http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/8/2/2340625/more-free-agency-for-the-colts-sign-dt-tommie-harris-to-one-year-deal?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Guest BlueShoe

Colts signed him to a 1 year deal

My link

This is a very good signing. I am impressed with our signings today. Simms and Harris make us a better football team.

he makes the 53, i'll drink a sweaty buffalo (drink). trust me, i don't want to drink that, it has cottage cheese in it!! no way in bakersfield he makes the cut. his knees are like Norwegian cheese. Lot's of holes these days.

Still....it's a low risk sign and a front office departure from years past. Don't know what other FAs might be on the team's radar but at least we're taking a shot after all our in-house signing dust settled - first things first in Indy. A lot of what's happening is a product of the year's circumstances. I'm encouraged for future seasons.

one thing i might add is that this might be a sign and trade, someone could possibly have interest in him but as I recall, he hasn't had a good season in like....let me count. 2010 no, 2009 no, 2008 no, 2007 uhhhmmmmm getting closer.

so you never know, he is no doubt looking for his last Super Bowl opportunity, this might be it for him (here in Indy)...perhaps he would be willing

to do some of those injections before each game and suck it up and make some friggin' tackles. might need them at half-time too. they are NOT illegal and I think it could really be an answer for him. If he can still leg squat which I heard he can, then we might have something there.

Now our DT position looks like this:

1. Tommie Harris

2. Antonio Johnson

3. Fili Moala

4. Drake Nevis

5. Demario Pressley

6. Ricardo Matthews

Eric Foster switches back to backup DE.

Not a chance in the world Harris jumps Moala without even a competition.