Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wacky,- but Rodgers says 49'rs picked smith over him as Smith opened car door for mom, at interview Rodgers parents not around for him to show manners

bayone

Aaron Rodgers explains why 49ers passed on him with No. 1 pick in 2005

So why did the 49ers spurn their hometown hero?

Rodgers was asked that exact question during a recent appearance on the HBO show Any Given Wednesday.

"The story that I heard, and I don't know if it's true or not, was that Mike Nolan said that when he saw Alex open the car door for his mom, he knew that was the quarterback he wanted," Rodgers said.

Um, what? The 49ers picked Smith because he opened the car door for his mom!

Apparently, Rodgers never got a chance to match Smith in the manners department.

"I was at lunch with [the 49ers]," Rodgers said. "My mom wasn't there. My dad wasn't there."

Although Rodgers' story sounds unbelievable, it might actually be true. Back in April, Nolan admitted that there was no real football reason for picking Smith over Rodgers. The former 49ers coach said the team went with Smith because Rodgers was "too cocky."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-explains-why-49ers-passed-on-him-with-no-1-pick-in-2005/

I always wondered why Smith was picked over Rogers? Not that I had a dog in the fight but it did seem very strange that Rogers fell as far as he did. Then sitting behind Farve as long as he did was also puzzling when the other QBs behind Farve seemed to always move on. It seemed to work out in the long run for both Rogers and Smith. This story seems far fetched but it's crazy enough to be true also.

"He's [Alex Smith] done an incredible job being efficient, making plays and doing what he does." --Aaron Rogers. 

Is it just me or is this hidden criticism masquerading as faint praise? Efficient isn't exactly clutch now is it. 

Also, "doing what he does" is code for game manager as opposed to say being called a comeback king. 

No person employed in the natl. football league either as a coordinator or head coach is gonna push all their draft chips to the center of the table & claim prospect X is our guy because he's so polite & totally ignore or shove to their backseat criteria how well say a QB dissects defenses, throws the ball away, or launches a deep pass to a WR on a slant & go route for instance. 

I have lost some mystique for Mike Nolan over admitting this revelation publicly. Sigh. I suppose on some level it is courageous to admit the 49ers made a mistake passing up Rogers for Smith sure. But, how you greet strangers while important, shouldn't be the end all be all for drafting 1 guy over another exclusively. Coaching staffs are paid to win games not say gee Smith is such a swell guy. 

Interesting story though. Thanks Barry for posting it. 

15 hours ago, southwest1 said:

"He's [Alex Smith] done an incredible job being efficient, making plays and doing what he does." --Aaron Rogers. 

Is it just me or is this hidden criticism masquerading as faint praise? Efficient isn't exactly clutch now is it. 

Also, "doing what he does" is code for game manager as opposed to say being called a comeback king. 

Poor Alex... always gets the backhanded complimenbts.  Let me throw out some numbers and Alex Smith over his last 5 years and comp A. Luck's 4 years to them-

Alex Smith record (not Chiefs)  49 W - 21 L  ,  Andrew Luck record (not Colts)  35 W  - 20 L  (accounts for lost games to injury)

Some stats-

Comp %          TD          Int          Yd/A          Rate

A.S.      64.5              91           30            7.4           94.5

A.L.      58.1             101          55            7.0           85

Alex Smith averages low to mid 3000 yards per season while Andrew Luck averages over 4000. So Smith is less productive overall, but much more efficient in his production.  He doesn't hurt his team, and they use run/ball control effectively to go with Smith's production.  And, some predict the Chiefs to not only take the AFC West this year, but possibly win the AFC championship and go to the Super Bowl.  Andy Reid Wheeled and Dealed for Smith while SF went with Kaepernick.  Who's ahead in that scenario now?

16 hours ago, southwest1 said:

No person employed in the natl. football league either as a coordinator or head coach is gonna push all their draft chips to the center of the table & claim prospect X is our guy because he's so polite & totally ignore or shove to their backseat criteria how well say a QB dissects defenses, throws the ball away, or launches a deep pass to a WR on a slant & go route for instance. 

I have lost some mystique for Mike Nolan over admitting this revelation publicly. Sigh. I suppose on some level it is courageous to admit the 49ers made a mistake passing up Rogers for Smith sure. But, how you greet strangers while important, shouldn't be the end all be all for drafting 1 guy over another exclusively. Coaching staffs are paid to win games not say gee Smith is such a swell guy. 

Here's the story out of the horses mouth-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000656167/article/nolan-explains-taking-alex-smith-over-aaron-rodgers

11 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Thank you for your additional link CBFL. 

"Alex at the time was a good kid -- a very good person, a safe choice, always trying to please," former 49ers coach Mike Nolan said Tuesday morning on NFL HQ. "On the other hand, Aaron was very cocky, very confident, arrogant."

I get that comment on a easy to manipulate, digest information, or take instruction well level. But, you need some level of brazen, confidence in must win game situations. Now, to his credit, Mike admitted the 49ers made a mistake not going with Rogers in the draft.

I just found it odd that Nolan wanted no part in fixing or tweaking Aaron's throwing motion. Are you afraid to roll up your sleeves or something? It's not like Aaron was a complete overhaul at the QB position. It's not a good look when coaching staffs choose the path of least resistance as professional mentors. I'd rather have a coordinator or coach say "we can retool that weakness into a strength vs it's too much work or we don't even wanna try at all." 

11 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Poor Alex... always gets the backhanded complimenbts.  Let me throw out some numbers and Alex Smith over his last 5 years and comp A. Luck's 4 years to them-

Alex Smith record (not Chiefs)  49 W - 21 L  ,  Andrew Luck record (not Colts)  35 W  - 20 L  (accounts for lost games to injury)

Some stats-

Alex Smith averages low to mid 3000 yards per season while Andrew Luck averages over 4000. So Smith is less productive overall, but much more efficient in his production.  He doesn't hurt his team, and they use run/ball control effectively to go with Smith's production.  And, some predict the Chiefs to not only take the AFC West this year, but possibly win the AFC championship and go to the Super Bowl.  Andy Reid Wheeled and Dealed for Smith while SF went with Kaepernick.  Who's ahead in that scenario now?

A lot of Smith's passes are short or intermediate throws which account for his high completion percentage in Kansas City. Now, there's no crime in that since Tom Brady has been successful doing that for yrs when NE's ground game struggled or Brady was without the offensive services of Edelman or Gronk.

So yes, it is possible to get to the playoffs on dinking & dunking the football. But once the post season arrives, you have to be able to connect with a WR or TE deep in the end zone on about 3-4 vertical plays a game. Otherwise, your team is dead even with a solid running game usually.  

Alex has come a long way from where he started in this league sure, but the guy doesn't instill fear in me as a QB. He just doesn't. Brady I fear, Big Ben I fear; Eli I fear, Luck I love, but Alex? Never in a million yrs man. 

Does anybody remember when Favre said that you shouldn't manage the game, you should play it? I don't think it's a coincidence that he said that during that Jets season. So annoying watching that dink and dunk stuff...and it went just like southwest1 said. They beat the pants off of everybody then got their own pants beat off at the end.

Anyway that brings me to Smith. I think he can play the game but because he's had 40 billion coaches and OCs he's lost sight of everything but the Xs and Os.

As for Rodgers...wow it would be hilarious if he went crazy lol! He's been in the league 8 years. That's usually when heartthrob quarterbacks start changing lol!

12 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Some stats-

Alex Smith is 38-36-1 as a starter when he played for SF, 1-1 in the Playoffs = mediocre. 30-16 with the Chiefs and 1-2 in the Playoffs which is Good but Andrew is 35-20/3-3 in the Playoffs with the Colts which is equally as Good. Smith isn't 49-21 overall. Secondly Andrew Luck throws for a lot more Yards, meaning he has to do more to carry his team. You just cant take what a player did in certain parts of their career's and compare them. If that's the case I'll take Andrew's season away from last season and just base it on 3 seasons and say he is 33-15 and 3-3 in the Playoffs. Smith had some brutal seasons in SF. I seen what you did, you took Smith's last 5 seasons in comparison to Andrew's 4 but the whole career is what matters.

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I just found it odd that Nolan wanted no part in fixing or tweaking Aaron's throwing motion. Are you afraid to roll up your sleeves or something? It's not like Aaron was a complete overhaul at the QB position. It's not a good look when coaching staffs choose the path of least resistance as professional mentors. I'd rather have a coordinator or coach say "we can retool that weakness into a strength vs it's too much work or we don't even wanna try at all." 

I see your point but tell me this... how long on the bench did Alex Smith have to wait to start in SF, and how long on the bench did A. Rodgers have to wait before the QB was his?  Who had more time to rework their throwing mechanics and who had to be almost foolproof and safe choice ready from day 1?

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

A lot of Smith's passes are short or intermediate throws which account for his high completion percentage in Kansas City. Now, there's no crime in that since Tom Brady has been successful doing that for yrs when NE's ground game struggled or Brady was without the offensive services of Edelman or Gronk.

So yes, it is possible to get to the playoffs on dinking & dunking the football. But once the post season arrives,

I get your point, but my stat    "Yards per attempt" doesn't support your dink and dunk short passes theory.  When you add up all the yards his receivers got, divided by the number of times Smith tried to throw it, the yardage gained per throw was higher for the A.Smith/Chiefs than A. Luck/Colts using the same metric.  But A. Smith throws it a loss less than Luck.... so, I'm not a buyer.   Sorry.

Alex has come a long way from where he started in this league sure, but the guy doesn't instill fear in me as a QB. He just doesn't. Brady I fear, Big Ben I fear; Eli I fear, Luck I love, but Alex? Never in a million yrs man. 

A. Smith isn't one to come back from a big deficit.  But his O won't make big mistakes to let another team capitalize easy. A. Luck is a guy that can, on a great day, come back from a deficit; even  down 38-10 vs. Dink n Dunk A. Smith and the Chiefs; 45-44.   OTOH, Alex never got his team down 28 points to the opponent...   ;-)

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Smith isn't 49-21 overall. 

I said his last 5 years.  2 with SF, 3 with KC.  Go add it up again and tell me it is not 49 - 21 - 1.

I'll wait..

" You just cant take what a player did in certain parts of their career's and compare them. "

You can if it is his last 5 years!  Much more indicative of his game now than his 1st 5 years...

" I seen what you did, you took Smith's last 5 seasons in comparison to Andrew's 4 but the whole career is what matters. "

I disagree.

On 7/16/2016 at 4:18 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I always wondered why Smith was picked over Rogers? Not that I had a dog in the fight but it did seem very strange that Rogers fell as far as he did. Then sitting behind Farve as long as he did was also puzzling when the other QBs behind Farve seemed to always move on. It seemed to work out in the long run for both Rogers and Smith. This story seems far fetched but it's crazy enough to be true also.

The 49ers would have been really really good if they picked Rogers. Harbaugh still might be coaching there too if he had Rogers over Kaepersuck.

51 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I said his last 5 years.  2 with SF, 3 with KC.  Go add it up again and tell me it is not 49 - 21 - 1.

I'll wait..

" You just cant take what a player did in certain parts of their career's and compare them. "

You can if it is his last 5 years!  Much more indicative of his game now than his 1st 5 years...

" I seen what you did, you took Smith's last 5 seasons in comparison to Andrew's 4 but the whole career is what matters. "

I disagree.

If the whole career doesn't matter than Peyton Manning from 2006-2015 blows Tom Brady off the map = more SB wins even. I'll just handpick that comparison over the last 10 seasons and leave Tom's other 3 SB wins off. See my point. If you want to do a comparison why don't you compare what Alex Smith did in his first 4 seasons to Andrew's first 4 seasons, instead of an Alex Smith that has been in the league much longer. I just don't care for the point you made because it's unfair IMO. You gave Alex Smith's numbers from his 7th year - 11th year compared to Andrew who has played for 4 seasons.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If the whole career doesn't matter than Peyton Manning from 2006-2015 blows Tom Brady off the map = more SB wins even.

Right here in the first sentence of your rebuttal I'll prove so incredibly wrong-

From 2006 on -

Name               cmp%          TD            Int          Yd/a          W          L

P. Manning        66.1           295          121         7.63         106       31

T. Brady            64.4           305            83         7.60         114        31

Post season        W        L          SB-W        SB-L

P. Manning          11        7            2              2

T. Brady              12        8            1              2

There's absolutely no 'blows Tom Brady off the map"  in the above.  I feel sick I had to defend Tom Brady from Colts homerism....  :grumpy2:

I'll just handpick that comparison over the last 10 seasons and leave Tom's other 3 SB wins off. See my point.

No, I don't.  You made it but You failed to support it.  I proved it to be false.

If you want to do a comparison why don't you compare what Alex Smith did in his first 4 seasons to Andrew's first 4 seasons, instead of an Alex Smith that has been in the league much longer. I just don't care for the point you made because it's unfair IMO. You gave Alex Smith's numbers from his 7th year - 11th year compared to Andrew who has played for 4 seasons.

Because my point was how Alex is getting a bad rap, when in fact, Alex is playing on level at or maybe higher than Andrew Luck is over the last 1/2 decade.  Rodgers said-

Then the "game manager and damned with faint praise comments began to creep in.  I'm showing why Rodgers said what he means, and means what he says.  Even though he's still fuming over A. Smith getting the nod over him.

The whole career matters in certain circumstances, but not in the context of the discussion I was in or point I was making.  Tom Brady had more SB wins early in his career, but was not nearly the QB and passer he is now.  As proven above. I don't care as much if a child wasn't good in school in while in 5th through 8th grade, but then they sharpened up and were National Honor Society members in Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior years.  Yes it's all on record, but early days aren't so reflective as the current status.

I'm not arguing about the early tumultuous years Smith had in SF with the revolving coaches and OC's. I;m not participating in that.

29 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Right here in the first sentence of your rebuttal I'll prove so incredibly wrong-

From 2006 on -

Name               cmp%          TD            Int          Yd/a          W          L

P. Manning        66.1           295          121         7.63         106       31

T. Brady            64.4           305            83         7.60         114        31

Post season        W        L          SB-W        SB-L

P. Manning          11        7            2              2

T. Brady              12        8            1              2

There's absolutely no 'blows Tom Brady off the map"  in the above.  I feel sick I had to defend Tom Brady from Colts homerism....  :grumpy2:

No, I don't.  You made it but You failed to support it.  I proved it to be false.

Because my point was how Alex is getting a bad rap, when in fact, Alex is playing on level at or maybe higher than Andrew Luck is over the last 1/2 decade.  Rodgers said-

Then the "game manager and damned with faint praise comments began to creep in.  I'm showing why Rodgers said what he means, and means what he says.  Even though he's still fuming over A. Smith getting the nod over him.

The whole career matters in certain circumstances, but not in the context of the discussion I was in or point I was making.  Tom Brady had more SB wins early in his career, but was not nearly the QB and passer he is now.  As proven above. I don't care as much if a child wasn't good in school in while in 5th through 8th grade, but then they sharpened up and were National Honor Society members in Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior years.  Yes it's all on record, but early days aren't so reflective as the current status.

I'm not arguing about the early tumultuous years Smith had in SF with the revolving coaches and OC's. I;m not participating in that.

The Stats are pretty even but look at their Head to Head matchups, since 2006 Peyton is 3-0 in Championships Games vs Tom which is a skunk and has won more SB's 2-1, Peyton has 3 MVP's in that Time frame, Tom has 2. Stat wise it is close but even with that said, Peyton's 2013 Season was better than Tom's 2007 Season statistically. Peyton has beaten Tom in every Playoff game they played against each other since 2006 and that is what the Pats fans always say that is what means the most. So Peyton is better since 2006. Regarding Smith and Andrew, you have to compare the years they played in the league, heck by year 7 Andrew might be MVP of the League for all we know.

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Smith and Andrew, you have to compare the years they played in the league, heck by year 7 Andrew might be MVP of the League for all we know.

I can compare them now, and boy do I hope Andrew is proven head and shoulders above where Alex Smith is now over his next 5 years, indeed.

Last time Andrew and Alex played each other, Alex (and Chiefs) was up 38 - 10 and then Andrew (and Colts) mounted a terrific comeback to eventually win 45 - 44.  Smith is good enough to get his team in positions to win but probably not to come back from far behind.  Andrew is good enough to come from far behind too.  So I expect him to put is all together and be an elite QB of the league soon.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I can compare them now, and boy do I hope Andrew is proven head and shoulders above where Alex Smith is now over his next 5 years, indeed.

Last time Andrew and Alex played each other, Alex (and Chiefs) was up 38 - 10 and then Andrew (and Colts) mounted a terrific comeback to eventually win 45 - 44.  Smith is good enough to get his team in positions to win but probably not to come back from far behind.  Andrew is good enough to come from far behind too.  So I expect him to put is all together and be an elite QB of the league soon.

I get all of your points and I don't think Alex Smith stinks by no means. Not sure where I would rank him? The only thing I took issue with your initial Post was the comparison over the last 5 seasons just because Smith is a seasoned Vet, Andrew is still very young. I think because we and others just expect so much out of him, anything less than going 11-5 and throwing for 30+ TD's and 4000 Yards isn't good.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I thought Smith played a great game in that Playoff game. We got LUCKY to pull that one out haha 

22 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I see your point but tell me this... how long on the bench did Alex Smith have to wait to start in SF, and how long on the bench did A. Rodgers have to wait before the QB was his?  Who had more time to rework their throwing mechanics and who had to be almost foolproof and safe choice ready from day 1?

Aaron Rogers did play the role of bench warmer for awhile under the Mike Mccarthy regime sure, but there's guarantee that if both men were drafted in opposite cities with Smith in GB & Rogers in CA that Aaron wouldn't have eventually succeeded on the West Coast. Talent usually comes to the forefront whether you start or sit immediately. Yes, Aaron had some kinks to work through sure most heir apparent QBs do. 

I get your point, but my stat    "Yards per attempt" doesn't support your dink and dunk short passes theory.  When you add up all the yards his receivers got, divided by the number of times Smith tried to throw it, the yardage gained per throw was higher for the A.Smith/Chiefs than A. Luck/Colts using the same metric.  But A. Smith throws it a loss less than Luck.... so, I'm not a buyer.   Sorry.

The eye test may not match statistical analysis, but Alex Smith is not a QB who can carry a team on his shoulders when the chips are down meaning he can't beat teams thru the air if you neutralize his ground game. He doesn't cough up the ball much which is admirable, but he just will never play in or win a SB IMO & that's what all GMs, HCs, & owners pay their franchise QBs to do CBFL. 

A. Smith isn't one to come back from a big deficit.  But his O won't make big mistakes to let another team capitalize easy. A. Luck is a guy that can, on a great day, come back from a deficit; even  down 38-10 vs. Dink n Dunk A. Smith and the Chiefs; 45-44.   OTOH, Alex never got his team down 28 points to the opponent...   ;-)

Yes, Alex is a solid QB worthy of playing in this league. I will give him that. A comeback field general he just isn't & will never be. 

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Well played Mike Nolan, 

FACEPALM.png

OK, I laughed. 

But then again... some GM's coaches have a knack on which way to go (IE: Bill Polian / Manning) on close calls, and others don't.  In hindsight today, it isn't even close.  But back then Rodgers was a guy with quirky mechanics and average arm strength; likely necessitating a 'rebuild'.  SF needed a day one starter, safe choice.  On top of that was the 'Tedford' stigma.  What's that?  Coach Jeff Tedford's 5  previously groomed and highly drafted QB's were Tent Dilfer (Fresno State - 1994), Akili Smith (Oregon - 1999), Joey Harrington (Oregon - 2002), David Carr (signed at Fresno State  - 2002), Kyle Boller (Cal - 2003).  None of these really panned out, and Dilfer's right place, right time got the only Pro Bowl and SB trophy of the group. Their record as starters is just 98-127, with only a 43.6 winning percentage. This group of QB's has combined for a completion percentage of 54.6 and thrown more interceptions (230) than touchdown passes (202), to go along with an anemic passer efficiency rating of only 68.6.

Then came Rodgers  (Cal - 2004), but McCarthy got him and then sat him behind Favre, then changed his mechanics-

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/can-quarterbacks-mechanics-be-altered

I'm not so sure the very poor offense at SF and the revolving OC's there would have suited Aaron Rodgers any better than it did Alex Smith.  Rodgers may just not know how Lucky his slide in the draft might actually have been, considering.

Essentially they had 2 guys they liked about the same and where 50/50 on so they let attitude make the decision for them.

They picked wrong, but how many people at the time knew it was such a wrong pick.  Remember Aaron fell pretty far to the Packers.  This wasn't a #1 and #2 straight off the board.  So it wasn't like every other team in the draft knew what he would turn into.  

These decisions don't leave me scratching my head because they didn't know what they would turn into at the time.

The decisions that leave me scratching my head are on the ones like Johnny Manziel.  His personal problems where obvious and somehow the Browns thought handing the kid millions was going to help him grow up.  

On July 16, 2016 at 5:12 PM, southwest1 said:

Listened to Nolan on the radio today.  This is pretty much a nonsense story.

I think Rogers has Olivia Munn of the brain. (Cant blame him)

anyone see the baccelorette?  Asron's brother is on it and it appears Aaron has a strained relationship with his family. This might explain why his parents weren't there for him to open the door in the first place.  Something odd going on there.  He's a heck of an athlete tho: