Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Retiring Peyton's Jersey

teresa0955

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts did this at his retirement presser.  They could still honor him again for it if they wished in front of the crowd if they wanted I suppose.

I hope there is a time when he will be invited back.

When he was still playing, he was distracted and it was uncomfortable for everyone.

It would be good to see him honored in a situation where he was not an opponent

I'm not big on retiring numbers ...Peyton wore a retired number in Denver...Obviously, nobody would wear it soon but I wouldn't be upset if 30-40 years down the line, some great prospect was given the number 18

37 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm not big on retiring numbers ...Peyton wore a retired number in Denver...Obviously, nobody would wear it soon

Just out of curiosity OUM, why not? You're entitled to your opinion naturally & I'm not calling you out BTW. 

Here's my take on it: When you have a 1st ballot HOF player of Peyton's illustrious stature, both on the field and off [meaning charity work & good deeds in the community]; I fail to see what the hangup would be. Running out of numbers to wear over time? No, because you reserve this honor for the cream of the crop or best of the best. It's not like you routinely have players drafted that become sure fire HOFers in the same 1983 class like Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, & John Elway all performing at an elite level over a 10-14 window frequently. 

I'm cool with it personally. Peyton also received permission to wear a retired number in Denver too so if the HOF recipient is still around they can allow their jersey number to be worn by another player they respect just like Manning was granted. 

The only way this situation could get sticky is if the player with the retired number died, a family member in charge of the deceased player's estate or image granted an exemption, but other members of their father's family objected to giving this rare exemption. I'm talking about wills & the power of attorney authority etc. etc. 

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I hope there is a time when he will be invited back.

When he was still playing, he was distracted and it was uncomfortable for everyone.

It would be good to see him honored in a situation where he was not an opponent

I'm not big on retiring numbers ...Peyton wore a retired number in Denver...Obviously, nobody would wear it soon but I wouldn't be upset if 30-40 years down the line, some great prospect was given the number 18

In fairness Peyton was going to go back to 16 in Denver until the guy who had 18 retired insisted on him using it.  

I think ill it can be over done but 18 is the first number retired in the Indianapolis portion of the franchise (the Colts still recognize retired numbers from their Baltimore days) so I think it still means something for the Colts as they are truly reserving it for franchise changing players. 

We will see Peytin back here, for sure when they honor the Super Bowl team.  I am sure they will bring him back when the statue is done and they still have to put him in the ring of honor and I wouldn't be shocked to see him brought back when he goes into the Hall of Fame.  Peyton is going to be honored many times over here as he should be.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nobody should ever wear #18 again. He is to us like Brady is to the NE Patriots, Montana was to the SF 49ers, Jordan was to the Chicago Bulls, LeBron is to Cleveland, Kobe was to the LA Lakers. Irsay knows this.

I think I remember Irsay making the comment that no one would ever wear 18 again. I believe him as long as the Colts belong to the Irsay family.

23 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Just out of curiosity OUM, why not? You're entitled to your opinion naturally & I'm not calling you out BTW. 

Here's my take on it: When you have a 1st ballot HOF player of Peyton's illustrious stature, both on the field and off [meaning charity work & good deeds in the community]; I fail to see what the hangup would be. Running out of numbers to wear over time? No, because you reserve this honor for the cream of the crop or best of the best. It's not like you routinely have players drafted that become sure fire HOFers in the same 1983 class like Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, & John Elway all performing at an elite level over a 10-14 window frequently. 

I'm cool with it personally. Peyton also received permission to wear a retired number in Denver too so if the HOF recipient is still around they can allow their jersey number to be worn by another player they respect just like Manning was granted. 

The only way this situation could get sticky is if the player with the retired number died, a family member in charge of the deceased player's estate or image granted an exemption, but other members of their father's family objected to giving this rare exemption. I'm talking about wills & the power of attorney authority etc. etc. 

sw......

I look at what happened in Denver...as an example of the number living on

I believe Frank Tripucka was the QB whose number was retired but decades passed and here comes Peyton.

Tripucka considered it an honor to have Peyton wear his jersey number.

I hope some,day another Bronco QB wears 18, if he is worthy

I agree with you about a deceased Hall-of-Famer and his family. That could get ugly

I think it honors a great player more to have anther great player wear his jersey number than it does to retire it..

I would not have objected to Andrew Luck wearing 18, had he wanted to. Would you have?

There's no correct answer. It certainly would have been a burden.

But we will run out of numbers some day

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nobody should ever wear #18 again. He is to us like Brady is to the NE Patriots, Montana was to the SF 49ers, Jordan was to the Chicago Bulls, LeBron is to Cleveland, Kobe was to the LA Lakers. Irsay knows this.

Okay but if 18 is retired (I assume 19 is retired) wont we eventually run out of numbers?

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

sw......

I look at what happened in Denver...as an example of the number living on

I believe Frank Tripucka was the QB whose number was retired but decades passed and here comes Peyton.

Tripucka considered it an honor to have Peyton wear his jersey number.

I hope some,day another Bronco QB wears 18, if he is worthy

I agree with you about a deceased Hall-of-Famer and his family. That could get ugly

I think it honors a great player more to have anther great player wear his jersey number than it does to retire it..

I would not have objected to Andrew Luck wearing 18, had he wanted to. Would you have?

There's no correct answer. It certainly would have been a burden.

But we will run out of numbers some day

Thanks for your well thought out response OUM. You're right Frank Tripucka was the man with the same jersey number in Denver. I couldn't remember his name. I appreciate that. 

What I highlighted in red from you is an interesting perspective. A viewpoint I never even considered before until you mentioned it actually. So, greatness is commemorated by the number of premier athletes that wear the same number with pride more than once while breaking records left & right while they played? There is a certain level of next level genius in that theory. I will grant you that. 

However, allowing jersey numbers to be duplicated or worn more than once but different athletes in the same sport would create confusion for fans who collect memorabilia merchandise or people in charge of preserving NFL greatness for future generations though. Plus, sports by it's very nature is all about distinctions, categories, & separation. We wanna know in an instant which top notch players separated themselves from the good NFL & reach a new pinnacle of success in professional football. Singling guys out that played at an elite level by removing their jersey number from team circulation means something significant since very few players can put up monster numbers consistently for over a decade or more. It's like that Tom Hanks line in the movie 'A League Of Their Own': "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it; The hard is what makes it great." 

To be honest with you, I would had a problem with Luck wearing #18 in INDY on his back because of what the Sheriff meant to the Hoosier State, our organization, bringing a Lombardi Trophy here, & getting Lucas Oil Stadium built just by his presence & contributions alone. I do agree that there is no right or wrong answer here. 

If enough decades do pass, number selection could be a problem prompting concerns over whether to use once deemed sacred numbers of former living legends. There is validity to that uncomfortable discussion way down the line. I wonder if years away from the game matters as a famous athlete. Translation: Would there ever be a time where asking Peyton permission to wear 18 would be okay if he was say your favorite QB growing up? I've always wondered that or would such a suggestion be considered blasphemous or disrespectful? 

Nice talking with you OUM. Tremendous insights as always my friend. :thmup:

Eh I wouldn't be opposed if someone else wore 18 I mean Peyton wore it in Denver when it belonged to their first franchise QB and now most people think of both of them with that number instead of just one person.

52 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Eh I wouldn't be opposed if someone else wore 18 I mean Peyton wore it in Denver when it belonged to their first franchise QB and now most people think of both of them with that number instead of just one person.

I would. He has meant more to the city of Indianapolis than any other sport figure of all-time. He had a Children's Hospital built, was the main reason the Colts were relevant for 13 seasons, was the main reason why we have LOS regardless of what people may think - if we aren't winning a lot, the stadium doesn't get built, and he is the main reason why we have a SB Title. He is our Michael Jordan of Chicago and LeBron James of Cleveland. Somebody else wearing 18 would be a joke.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:41 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would. He has meant more to the city of Indianapolis than any other sport figure of all-time. He had a Children's Hospital built, was the main reason the Colts were relevant for 13 seasons, was the main reason why we have LOS regardless of what people may think - if we aren't winning a lot, the stadium doesn't get built, and he is the main reason why we have a SB Title. He is our Michael Jordan of Chicago and LeBron James of Cleveland. Somebody else wearing 18 would be a joke.

I agree. When you see the number 18 it automatically makes you think of Peyton Manning. Just like #19 for Unitas and #88 for Harrison.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree. When you see the number 18 it automatically makes you think of Peyton Manning. Just like #19 for Unitas and #88 for Harrison.

Yeah you cant retire every number but 18, 19, and 88 should be. That is only 3 numbers. Included Unitas/Baltimore days since technically we are known as the Colts overall.

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah you cant retire every number but 18, 19, and 88 should be. That is only 3 numbers. Included Unitas/Baltimore days since technically we are known as the Colts overall.

There are already 7 retired, and the only reason 88 wasn't retired as John Mackey's was because that would be 3 in the 80s.

There are currently seven players that have the luxury of having their numbers retired by the Colts organization. Those players are No. 19Johnny Unitas, No. 22 Buddy Young, No. 24 Lenny Moore, No. 70 Art Donovan, No. 77 Jim Parker, No. 82Raymond Berry and No. 89 Gino Marchetti.Oct 6, 2011

https://www.google.com/search

12 hours ago, jimmy g said:

This is why I wanted them to leave the name Colts in Baltimore and start a new history.

(and I was born in Balt in 54, moved to Indy in 80)

A new city does not mean the Colts history ends. Did the Rams and Raiders history end? Will the Rams and whoever moves to LA history end?  If you go back in history just about every team but a few have relocated to a different city. You cant change history no matter what your personal thoughts are. My question is did you hire Mayflower to handle the move from Baltimore to Indy?

On 7/17/2016 at 9:41 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some have said that about Reggie Miller and the hospital wasn't built it was renamed after him. St. Vincent Children's Hospital existed before Manning was here.

I guess my point is I'm sure many in Baltimore thought it was a joke that Marvin Harrison wore #88 when it was John Mackey's number to begin with and he made it famous. Now in Indy we think of #88 as Marvin and Baltimore thinks of Mackey and there are some who think of both of them. 

Even if someone else wore #18 it isn't the end of the world I mean its just a number especially one of a player that the Colts willingly parted ways with don't really see how his number becomes sacred after that or if it needs to be. It won't take away what Manning has done here.

On 7/20/2016 at 6:26 AM, crazycolt1 said:

A new city does not mean the Colts history ends. Did the Rams and Raiders history end? Will the Rams and whoever moves to LA history end?  If you go back in history just about every team but a few have relocated to a different city. You cant change history no matter what your personal thoughts are. My question is did you hire Mayflower to handle the move from Baltimore to Indy?

I'm not just that thought about the Colts. I wish every move of every team started a new history. For instance, the NY Yankees were once the Baltimore Orioles. The modern Orioles were once the St Louis Brown's. I seriously doubt anyone in Los Angeles even knows what a Trolley-Dodger is, nor people in Utah understand why they are the Jazz.

24 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I'm not just that thought about the Colts. I wish every move of every team started a new history. For instance, the NY Yankees were once the Baltimore Orioles. The modern Orioles were once the St Louis Brown's. I seriously doubt anyone in Los Angeles even knows what a Trolley-Dodger is, nor people in Utah understand why they are the Jazz.

I can respect and understand your personal thoughts about that but that's not the way things are. You can't erase memories. No matter how bad of an owner anyone thinks Robert Irsay was he was proud of the Colts and their history just as Jim is.

On July 20, 2016 at 6:26 AM, crazycolt1 said:

why would you ask something so dumb?  Seriously dude you make no sense 

19 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

why would you ask something so dumb?  Seriously dude you make no sense 

I guess you have a hard time understanding sarcasm? That or you have taken a personal interest in my comments and take every opportunity to give me a hard time. Your attempt to insult me with the age comment but what you fail to realize is I couldn't care less about you or what you think of me. Pretty simple.

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can respect and understand your personal thoughts about that but that's not the way things are. You can't erase memories. No matter how bad of an owner anyone thinks Robert Irsay was he was proud of the Colts and their history just as Jim is.

Then the Ravens should be the Baltimore Browns.  The NFL mandated the name change to approve the move.

I understand, it's Irsay' s team

He can call it what he wants (if the NFL approves).  I just think it would have been smoother for all with a clean break, New start. We'd have more numbers for Colts receivers!

Why do you post like you're angry all the time?  This is just a message board. No one should be upset here- nothing we post can change anything.  Relax, it's all good...

46 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Then the Ravens should be the Baltimore Browns.  The NFL mandated the name change to approve the move.

He can call it what he wants (if the NFL approves).  I just think it would have been smoother for all with a clean break, New start. We'd have more numbers for Colts receivers!

Why do you post like you're angry all the time?  This is just a message board. No one should be upset here- nothing we post can change anything.  Relax, it's all good...

I am mixed on this topic. I personally would be ok with the Colts just recognizing their history from 1984-2015 since the move to Indianapolis. It's because what they have done in Indianapolis is what they have done for this city. Johnny Unitas never gave our city the time of day and loved Baltimore so that speaks for itself. Having said that we are known as the Colts like the Lakers were in Minneapolis and the Lakers have 5 more Championships to their credit like we have another SB win to ours. I still am perfectly fine with our history here in Indy over the last 32 seasons (1984-2015) = a SB win (2006), 2 SB appearances (2006/2009), 5 AFC Title Game appearances (1995/2003/2006/2009/2014). We have made the AFC Title game with 3 different starting QB's in Harbaugh, Peyton, and Andrew here in Indianapolis showing we know how to build teams in different era's. Going by the Indianapolis tenure I would retire #18 Peyton, #88 Marvin, #93 Freeney, #63 Saturday, #21 Sanders, and #87 Reggie. That is only 6 numbers. Had Eric Dickerson, Jim Harbaugh, Marshall Faulk, Edge James played longer here I would be for retiring their numbers as well but you cant just retire every number because you will run out of numbers. Bob Sanders should be, he was the 2nd most important player on our SB winning team and he is the only player in Indianapolis history to win DPOY which was 2007. Jeff Saturday's #63 should be as well. I only listed 6 and it's a unique 6.

2 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Are you serious? I just explained what I thought and even said I respected and understood your comment. What is angry about that?  I have a different view because I was a Colt fan long before them moving to Indy. It goes back to the Bert Jones days in 1973.

On July 15, 2016 at 9:41 PM, oldunclemark said:

Okay but if 18 is retired (I assume 19 is retired) wont we eventually run out of numbers?

Well seeing as the Colts hadn't retired a number since their Baltimore days before Peyton I don't think this is going to be a real issue to worry about.

47 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Are you serious? I just explained what I thought and even said I respected and understood your comment. What is angry about that?  I have a different view because I was a Colt fan long before them moving to Indy. It goes back to the Bert Jones days in 1973.

Yeah that is why I respect the whole Colts history, many here were Colts fans before the move. People love getting you riled up for some reason haha. I love you don't take crap off of anyone and I get a kick out of your responses. It's tough when it comes to retiring numbers because you only have so many numbers and a 53 man Roster each season so it has to be selective IMO. Unitas's 19 definitely would be retired if I was hanging banners as well and Marchetti's #89 which would be only 8 numbers including my other 6, that really isn't much over 7 decades. I do like the AFC Title Appearance banners much more than Division Title Banners, I know many don't but when you make the Final 4 that is a Very Good to Great season. Anyone can win a Division in a given season if they play weak competition but making a Final 4 is very very tough! Since 1995, only the Pats (11) and Steelers (6) have played in more than we have. Broncos and Eagles have been played in 5 like us since 1995. Eagles never won a SB Title though.

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that is why I respect the whole Colts history, many here were Colts fans before the move. People love getting you riled up for some reason haha. I love you don't take crap off of anyone and I get a kick out of your responses. It's tough when it comes to retiring numbers because you only have so many numbers and a 53 man Roster each season so it has to be selective IMO. Unitas's 19 definitely would be retired if I was hanging banners as well and Marchetti's #89 which would be only 8 numbers including my other 6, that really isn't much over 7 decades. I do like the AFC Title Appearance banners much more than Division Title Banners, I know many don't but when you make the Final 4 that is a Very Good to Great season. Anyone can win a Division in a given season if they play weak competition but making a Final 4 is very very tough! Since 1995, only the Pats (11) and Steelers (6) have played in more than we have. Broncos and Eagles have been played in 5 like us since 1995. Eagles never won a SB Title though.

I stand corrected, Packers have made 6 Championship Games/Final 4's since the 1995 season. I apologize to Packers fans. I don't know how I miss that, I am losing my touch I guess haha. I forgot about Favre's 2007 appearance. Ravens have made 4 if anyone is wondering, Giants have only been to 3 since 1995 but they both do have 2 SB wins since 95.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And I to the 1958 Championship. I was born in Baltimore in 54.

All I did was ask. I've followed this board for two years and your every post comes across as an edge of uneeded testiness. Oh well, just my opinion.....

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

And I to the 1958 Championship. I was born in Baltimore in 54.

All I did was ask. I've followed this board for two years and your every post comes across as an edge of uneeded testiness. Oh well, just my opinion.....

I guess your pretty thin skinned then. Not everyone's comments are going to come across like we are stepping on eggs. My every post? I wasn't aware I was being monitored by you.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess your pretty thin skinned then. Not everyone's comments are going to come across like we are stepping on eggs. My every post? I wasn't aware I was being monitored by you.

You made my point......

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess you have a hard time understanding sarcasm? That or you have taken a personal interest in my comments and take every opportunity to give me a hard time. Your attempt to insult me with the age comment but what you fail to realize is I couldn't care less about you or what you think of me. Pretty simple.

In case you haven't noticed I don't say anything when you are voicing your opinion on a subject. It's when you attack others who voice their opinion you become a Richard 

pretty simple 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And you speak of unneeded testiness.

I come to read and post about my favorite team. Then I see you berating others for No reason, and I was stooooopud enough to ask why do you seem mad all the time. 

You took it from there, reinforcing my view.

Sorry. I'm old, haven't been on a 6th grade playground since 1966. I didn't realize such an innocent question was code inviting a fight to today's generation.  If there's an ignore list, put me on it.I'll go back to reading,and leave being the tough kid to you...

37 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

In case you haven't noticed I don't say anything when you are voicing your opinion on a subject. It's when you attack others who voice their opinion you become a Richard 

pretty simple 

So now your the forums protector when ever I say something you don't like? I am pretty sure who ever I speak to or make comments to are quite capable of speaking and defending themselves if they have a problem with me. And now you want to insult me by calling me a derogatory name? Having a different opinion or point of view is not attacking anyone. I have been civil to you even though you have gone out of your way to try to cause a problem. You can use your own code words to insult me but that's OK because what you have to say to me means zero.