Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck admits he sometimes forgets plays he called

lollygagger8

Lol, at least he's honest. Also, the play at the end of the article was not his doing. 

Excerpt from article: 

Ladies and gentleman, the highest-paid player in the NFL, Mr. Andrew Luck.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck was at an event for NFL UK and was asked has he ever been at the line of scrimmage and forgotten the play.

Luck: “Yes”

Guy: “What was that feeling like?”

Luck: “It’s awful. If you ever see a QB turning around and making gestures like he’s checking or an audible, he’s actually asking the FB or the RB: “Hey, what did I just call?”

http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/07/11/colts-qb-andrew-luck-admits-he-sometimes-forgets-what-play-he-called-video/

Yep, was at this event, with a bunch of other UK based fans in London. It was an awesome evening and I managed to snag an autograph. Dwayne Allen and Andrew were answering fan questions. Some other things he said, that you guys might be interested in: 

There was some fun made of Luck’s new contract, which was amusing but I think Andrew found a little embarrassing.

Luck said he loved living in Indiana, Hoosier hospitality and enjoyed living in such a vibrant sports town.

He said that the newest player he’s most excited about is Ryan Kelly. Jokingly said Kelly is a bit of an a-h, in a good way, in that he’s cocky, sure of himself and confident in what he’s doing which is super good to hear.

Was asked who his biggest NFL heroes growing up were and cited Peyton Manning, Elway, Roethlisberger and Steve McNair.

He was asked about which was his favourite comeback of the ones he’s played in and stated that it was the Chiefs game but that they shouldn’t have gotten themselves in that position in the first place because of silly turnovers.

Said Jim Harbaugh helped instil that competitiveness in him at Stanford, that Harbaugh would make everything a competition, including first player out of bed at training camps, everything they did in the in the weight room, eating competitions etc.

Dwayne was asked what it’s like to play with Luck and said ‘At first glance he looks like such a geek’.

Dwayne humorously said the team get annoyed and always have to tell Andrew not to try and tackle the defender when he gets intercepted, cos he’s always charging down the field trying to make the play.  Also said that they get annoyed with him always congratulating defensive players when he gets hit.

Dwayne said his favourite moment in football is when he’s blocking a defensive player and he feels that burst of air as the running back goes past him for a touchdown.

Dwayne Allen was asked which defensive player he most feared and said he didn’t fear anyone but had a ‘healthy respect’ for Mario Williams. Luck said one of his biggest thrills in the NFL so far was being able to play against Ed Reed and Ray Lewis in the playoffs in his first season, though not the result!

They both said that Pat McAfee is definitely as funny in person as he appears in the media/twitter, but when it’s time to go to work he’s an absolute professional which is why he’s the best punter in the league.

Luck enthused about training camp, said he absolutely loves playing football all day every day. They spoke about Reggie, reminiscing on his crazy entrances to training camp and what a shame it is that he’s no longer playing. Andrew said that Reggie was the hardest working player on the team. He never thought that ‘he’d made it’ even at age 35 and by working harder than the rookies it inspired everyone, and that Mathis is/was the same.  Speculated on who would be the person to now take up the mantle of ‘entertaining entrances’ and they thought it could be T.Y.

7 hours ago, British_Colt said:

Yep, was at this event, with a bunch of other UK based fans in London. It was an awesome evening and I managed to snag an autograph. Dwayne Allen and Andrew were answering fan questions. Some other things he said, that you guys might be interested in: 

There was some fun made of Luck’s new contract, which was amusing but I think Andrew found a little embarrassing.

Luck said he loved living in Indiana, Hoosier hospitality and enjoyed living in such a vibrant sports town.

He said that the newest player he’s most excited about is Ryan Kelly. Jokingly said Kelly is a bit of an a-h, in a good way, in that he’s cocky, sure of himself and confident in what he’s doing which is super good to hear.

Was asked who his biggest NFL heroes growing up were and cited Peyton Manning, Elway, Roethlisberger and Steve McNair.

He was asked about which was his favourite comeback of the ones he’s played in and stated that it was the Chiefs game but that they shouldn’t have gotten themselves in that position in the first place because of silly turnovers.

Said Jim Harbaugh helped instil that competitiveness in him at Stanford, that Harbaugh would make everything a competition, including first player out of bed at training camps, everything they did in the in the weight room, eating competitions etc.

Dwayne was asked what it’s like to play with Luck and said ‘At first glance he looks like such a geek’.

Dwayne humorously said the team get annoyed and always have to tell Andrew not to try and tackle the defender when he gets intercepted, cos he’s always charging down the field trying to make the play.  Also said that they get annoyed with him always congratulating defensive players when he gets hit.

Dwayne said his favourite moment in football is when he’s blocking a defensive player and he feels that burst of air as the running back goes past him for a touchdown.

Dwayne Allen was asked which defensive player he most feared and said he didn’t fear anyone but had a ‘healthy respect’ for Mario Williams. Luck said one of his biggest thrills in the NFL so far was being able to play against Ed Reed and Ray Lewis in the playoffs in his first season, though not the result!

They both said that Pat McAfee is definitely as funny in person as he appears in the media/twitter, but when it’s time to go to work he’s an absolute professional which is why he’s the best punter in the league.

Luck enthused about training camp, said he absolutely loves playing football all day every day. They spoke about Reggie, reminiscing on his crazy entrances to training camp and what a shame it is that he’s no longer playing. Andrew said that Reggie was the hardest working player on the team. He never thought that ‘he’d made it’ even at age 35 and by working harder than the rookies it inspired everyone, and that Mathis is/was the same.  Speculated on who would be the person to now take up the mantle of ‘entertaining entrances’ and they thought it could be T.Y.

One of the best posts I've ever read on here. Thanks.

Fantastic thread Lollygagger!

Andrew feels uncomfortable discussing his new contract & he can't remember what play he just called. It's fine Luck getting a Master's degree in Architecture or any post Bachelor degree tends to frazzle any graduate student's brain after awhile.

Plus, digesting an NFL playbook isn't exactly easy either. HOF QB Steve Young famously said that law school was easier that mastering his NFL playbook in San Francisco. You're in good company Chewbacca. No worries. It's all good. 

Nice description of the event British Colt. Always love to get the UK perspective on things. 

I wanted a followup question. Andrew, on a play you forget at the line of scrimmage that somehow turns into a big yardage play on offense, do you admit to your HC & OC that you got flustered or do you play it off like you were in complete control the whole time? Be honest. haha

Is it just me or can the English accent make anything sound dignified no matter what they are describing? 

The gentlemen asking Luck questions could make the preparation of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich sound like a famous play in Shakespearian history. 

Okay, perhaps I am overselling it. SW1 just enjoys hearing different accents I guess. 

29 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Is it just me or can the English accent make anything sound dignified no matter what they are describing? 

The gentlemen asking Luck questions could make the preparation of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich sound like a famous play in Shakespearian history. 

Okay, perhaps I am overselling it. SW1 just enjoys hearing different accents I guess. 

The English accent is only a part. The sense of humor that the English have along with the accent makes hearing them speak interesting. A lot of their questions are by designed to be ask with a comical slant with a humorous response expected. Makes for a more enjoyable interview IMO. I would think the players more than likely like it better than being put on a grill by the media here.

17 hours ago, Jim H. said:

I sometimes forget what I had for breakfast.

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

At least you remember what day it is.

12 hours ago, twfish said:

Sometimes I don't even remember that

11 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I cant remember what I was gonna say to your post.

11 hours ago, twfish said:

I can't remember who you are

9 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I can't even remember who I am

7 hours ago, twfish said:

I can't even remember where I'm at

vinny_zpskkwu1iml.jpg

On July 13, 2016 at 3:31 AM, crazycolt1 said:

The English accent is only a part. The sense of humor that the English have along with the accent makes hearing them speak interesting. A lot of their questions are by designed to be ask with a comical slant with a humorous response expected. Makes for a more enjoyable interview IMO. I would think the players more than likely like it better than being put on a grill by the media here.

I've never been to London personally, but I am well versed in Monty Python so I grasp that brand of straight laced satire. John Cleese is a master at making the ridiculous seem totally normal. 

You're right though CC1. It's nice to see interviews with a more relaxed & easy going tone. If I were famous, I wouldn't mind being set up with soft ball questions designed to make me look foolish all in good fun. 

On July 13, 2016 at 3:29 AM, British_Colt said:

haha SW.  One of the questions to Luck was about him being known for being very eloquent and well spoken and he joked that it must have been the 2 years he spent at school in London. 

Glad I could make you crack a smile BC. Thank you for your additional background information on Luck across the pond by the way. I always enjoy getting to talk to & meet football fans from other countries. I look forward to reading more of your posts. :hat:

29 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

"Andrew Luck admits he sometimes forgets the plays he called"

This explains so much.

LOL!!!  I conjured up in my mind-   Pep relays in the Play to Luck.

Luck barks out in the huddle:  " FB West Right Slot 372 Y Stick"

Then, at the line calling the snap count thinking-  what was the play Pep wants again?

What was called was the slot receiver goes left, the FB outside and behind the TE on the right, the TE is to run a stick route, all on a 3 step drop.

Andrew takes the snap, drops back 7 steps, avoids the first pass rusher that came almost clean and unblocked, moves around looking for the skinny post receiver (but there is none, because it wasn't called) the TE runs a comeback route due to coverage, and Luck further runs around looking for someone/anyone to chuck it to before getting crunched by all 4 chasing D linemen...  "This explains so much."

I'm quite glad it doesn't happen often. :-)

22 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

LOL!!!  I conjured up in my mind-   Pep relays in the Play to Luck.

Luck barks out in the huddle:  " FB West Right Slot 372 Y Stick"

Then, at the line calling the snap count thinking-  what was the play Pep wants again?

What was called was the slot receiver goes left, the FB outside and behind the TE on the right, the TE is to run a stick route, all on a 3 step drop.

Andrew takes the snap, drops back 7 steps, avoids the first pass rusher that came almost clean and unblocked, moves around looking for the skinny post receiver (but there is none, because it wasn't called) the TE runs a comeback route due to coverage, and Luck further runs around looking for someone/anyone to chuck it to before getting crunched by all 4 chasing D linemen...  "This explains so much."

I'm quite glad it doesn't happen often. :-)

I'm thinking we'll see it even less with Chud calling the shots, that's my hope anyways.