Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joey bosa

CR91

3 hours ago, Rebelknight said:

I met Joey and his Dad this year at the Draft. I talked with them before the Draft and then after the draft. They were excited to be in San Diego.

In my opinion I thought Joey and his father came across as snobbish and entitled.  I expect Joey's career to mimic his dad's and is the reason for the way they want the money paid out.

While I agree on the snobbish part, I don't feel like that's the reason they want the money up front. John Bosa left the league after 3 years because of two career ending injuries. I doubt Joey wants to get injured and leave the league like his father before him. I think his father wants him to have the money up front because of the way he left the league. If Bosa gets Injured like his father, he want's to have the money already paid up front. I fully expect Bosa to have a great career, but his father is just watching out for him, not wanting Joey to follow in his footsteps.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

Chargers could end this today if they would just give him the guarantees up front. Which should have been done already

They don't want to set new precedent...IOW,  they would rather ruin Boas's career.  Bo Jackson sat out a year, but played for Kansas City Royals- then was a steal in round 7 in the next NFL draft..  The next to force a teams hand was John Elway who also promised to play baseball, then a deal got done.  Eli had his dad in his corner to work a trade with NY Giants and Rivers.  What can Bosa do?  His big time contract is gone if he even gets drafted next year.  Chargers have his rights for a year, and don't have to yield an inch more from their offer if they don't want to. To them, the team is bigger than a player... and will work it that way.

It looks like the Charger are set to go forward ini 2016 without Bosa on the roster, and not trade away his rights either. Looks like they will make him sit a year then try again.  No way on earth he is a round 1 pick next year, let alone #3

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It is, and it is called precedent.  And they will  not deviate from that no matter the player.  That is their public stance.

"All the other players were dumb enough to agree so you should too"

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Long before the draft I got a gut feeling Bosa will underachieve in the NFL.  NOTHING CONCRETE, just a hunch.  He's off to a great start.

i got the same feeling about Brian Cushing.

Brian Cushing hasnt underachieved.  Unless you count getting injured as underachieving.

@WoolMagnet, I have thought the same thing. We wont really know until he plays as he could prove the doubters wrong but I don't think he will live up to being the #3 pick. This situation going on with the Chargers has nothing to do with how I feel about him. Compared to a lot of Pass Rushers playing already in the league he is slow, his combine speed wasn't that good at all either. Heck at 35 years old Robert Mathis is faster than he is.

11 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Brian Cushing hasnt underachieved.  Unless you count getting injured as underachieving.

After his rookie season after he got busted for PEDs he's never been the same player. He's been pretty much a non factor every time I've seen him play the Colts. Getting easily blocked at the second level and struggling in coverage. 

4 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

After his rookie season after he got busted for PEDs he's never been the same player. He's been pretty much a non factor every time I've seen him play the Colts. Getting easily blocked at the second level and struggling in coverage. 

He was 2nd team All Pro in 2011.....had a monster season.  He has dealt with with serious and not so serious injuries since then.

Yea it's fun to take sides on this. Part of me says it's cool to see the player sticking it to the league basically (in fact the Chargers) but the  precedents are there league wide. And then part of me is like good on the team for saying hey this is the way it's going to be take it or leave it. They've obviously negotiated and how far the Chargers have come from offer #1 is probably unknown.

id like to see Bosa out the whole season just so we can see what happens to him next year. What kinda repercussions it has.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It is, and it is called precedent.  And they will  not deviate from that no matter the player.  That is their public stance.

There are two completely different sets of precedents in play here....

For the Chargers,  all of their picks since the new CBA has been implemented have given the club the two things asked for......   a delay on paying their signing bonus AND off-set language.      They want to continue the precedent.     They say they won't break it for Bosa.

OK.......

But for Bosa,  his camp says every 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round overall since the new CBA has been put in place did one OR the other,  but NOT BOTH.      And he doesn't want to be the first of that group to give the club both.

And his camp has said the team can have their pick of one or the other but not both.    And they say they won't break precedent for the Chargers.

So,   there's two different precedents at stake here.....       it will be interesting to see who blinks first.    I'm pulling for the player,  not the team.

As a Colts fan, I hope Bosa reenters the draft next year and it blows up in both their faces, they deserve it for not compromising. Basically from what I know, Bosa wants all his guaranteed money up front instead of part of it from a year from now. The Chargers have upped their offer from 60% to 85%, and when he said no, they took it away. 

I have never seen Bosa speak, but by the way he looks and the way the negotiating has happened, he seems to have a mental block. I have a cousin who has this and he takes a while to understand things. It seems to me Bosa is being highly manipulated by both his Parents and his Agent to get a deal that's not very far off his original terms and holdout and possibly miss a year and lose money.

I feel bad for him, but he does know what he's doing, and he should be able to figure out that the odds of getting drafted no3 overall or higher next year is slim to none, especially because he can't reenter college and would just be sitting at home for a year having to stay in shape, waiting for next year. The only other reason he might not want to sign is that he doesn't want to play for the Chargers. He may want to play for a contender, but that's purely a guess.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As a Colts fan, I hope Bosa reenters the draft next year and it blows up in both their faces, they deserve it for not compromising. Basically from what I know, Bosa wants all his guaranteed money up front instead of part of it from a year from now. The Chargers have upped their offer from 60% to 85%, and when he said no, they took it away. 

I have never seen Bosa speak, but by the way he looks and the way the negotiating has happened, he seems to have a mental block. I have a cousin who has this and he takes a while to understand things. It seems to me Bosa is being highly manipulated by both his Parents and his Agent to get a deal that's not very far off his original terms and holdout and possibly miss a year and lose money.

I feel bad for him, but he does know what he's doing, and he should be able to figure out that the odds of getting drafted no3 overall or higher next year is slim to none, especially because he can't reenter college and would just be sitting at home for a year having to stay in shape, waiting for next year. The only other reason he might not want to sign is that he doesn't want to play for the Chargers. He may want to play for a contender, but that's purely a guess.

He isn't doing the negotiations,   his agent is.  He is just taking their advice

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So,   there's two different precedents at stake here.....       it will be interesting to see who blinks first.    I'm pulling for the player,  not the team.

I'm the opposite, I side with the team.

27 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't doing the negotiations,   his agent is.  He is just taking their advice

And so far it has been bad advice.   I understand his Agents position, but I also understand the Chargers position. The odds of him being picked number three in next years draft, after sitting out a year, is very slim.   Fighting over offset language,  when it is very unlikely that he will be cut, or getting $3 million this year or in March of next year is just dumb.  If he is that upset with the way the Chargers are negotiating, then remember it when his second contract comes up. If he is a good player he will have much more leverage at that point and can squeeze the Chargers for what he wants.   If he sits out this year all he is doing, probably, is costing himself a lot of money that he will never recoup. Bosa may be right in his position/principle, but is it worth a million dollars or more?  It wouldn't be to me.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You contradicted yourself in this paragraph.  How can you say the chargers deserve to have this blow up in their face "for not compromising" and then say they upped their offer from 60% to 85%?  According to the article it sounds like the Chargers have been willing to compromise, but Bosa's reps have not. 

42 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

And so far it has been bad advice.   I understand his Agents position, but I also understand the Chargers position. The odds of him being picked number three in next years draft, after sitting out a year, is very slim.   Fighting over offset language,  when it is very unlikely that he will be cut, or getting $3 million this year or in March of next year is just dumb.  If he is that upset with the way the Chargers are negotiating, then remember it when his second contract comes up. If he is a good player he will have much more leverage at that point and can squeeze the Chargers for what he wants.   If he sits out this year all he is doing, probably, is costing himself a lot of money that he will never recoup. Bosa may be right in his position/principle, but is it worth a million dollars or more?  It wouldn't be to me.

Every other top pick has gotten all of their guaranteed money up front,  not spread across the life of the contract.   I think that is the biggest sticking point

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Every other top pick has gotten all of their guaranteed money up front,  not spread across the life of the contract.   I think that is the biggest sticking point

My understanding from what I have heard & read is that he will get about 14 million of the guaranteed money when he signs.  Then he will get the remaining amount, about 3 million, next March.  If Bosa and his agent feel that is worth fighting over to the point of possibly sitting out a year, fine it's their choice.  However, IMO, I would not be willing to sacrifice possibly a million dollars or more to prove a point that the Chargers are acting like jerks.  That is not worth fighting over, I would rather have the money and then when I was up for a contract extension I would remember how the Chargers were acting.

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think the chargers are smart on this and really it potentially is a good thing.  Young kids fresh out of college given millions up front and if something happens or even if it doesn't they are broke as before or worse within months. spread that millions out, then the kid has a chance of maturing and not blowin the money as easily.

16 hours ago, SP_21 said:

It's hysterical that you think team owners are the ones taking huge risks. Players are the ones risking their career, health, and life every time they step on the field. The NFL is so profitable it would take an * of an owner not to make heaps of money. It's a bonus if they end up fielding a competitive team. 

I think it's small minded of you to thinking paying millions of dollars on a player because he may be good is not taking a risk.  Just because the risk the owners take is different than the risks the players take does not mean they do not exist.

Just an FYI, the purpose on any for profit business is to be profitable, so for you to act like the fact that the NFL is very profitable is a bad thing.  They are very profitable because they are smart had how they approach the financial side of the business.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Not according to this article.

It states that #1 pick Goff has deferral language but no offset language for his bonus and Wentz has both deferral and offset language in his contract for his signing bonus.

18 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

To the bolded... no it's not. It's same argument people try to make with CEO's make so much more than the workers.  The team owners are the ones that take all the risks, they are the one's that pay out the huge signing bonuses without knowing whether or not the player will be worth it, they are the ones that pay for the medical staff, cleaning staff, maintenance crews, coaches, ticket sales people, etc. and they are still responsible for paying that whether the team is good or bad, whether the team makes money or loses money.  They are also the one responsible for having the vision to determine where their company is going to be in the next 10 years and implementing plans NOW so they can be there in 10 years.

CEO's of corporations don't take risks, the stockholders do.  And the stockholders risk is entirely limited by what they invest in the corporation.  If we want to talk about all the risks that business owners take then we should just eliminate the concept of limited liability of corporations all together.  If a corporation goes belly up and can't pay it's debts then the stockholders have their wages garnished to pay the corporation's debts. 

Also at this point with the NFL there is almost no risk in owning an NFL team.  What was the last NFL team to go belly up??

There are teams that have been so bad year after year after year after year and they still make a profit.  The risks to both CEO's and NFL owners in this post are heavily overstated.

However NFL players risk their health and everything to play the game.  Which is fine IMO when the player does have a multi-million dollar signing bonus.  Like I'm hardly concerned about Bosa because he could sign on the dotted line and get millions right now.  So I'm not feeling sorry for him in the least.

But lower level players risk their health and everything and see either no signing bonus or very little bonus.  Players in the 4th round and lower are pretty much meat for the grinder that is the NFL in a lot of ways.  

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think it's small minded of you to thinking paying millions of dollars on a player because he may be good is not taking a risk.  Just because the risk the owners take is different than the risks the players take does not mean they do not exist.

Just an FYI, the purpose on any for profit business is to be profitable, so for you to act like the fact that the NFL is very profitable is a bad thing.  They are very profitable because they are smart had how they approach the financial side of the business.

I never said the owners don't take a risk. BUT the repercussions if their gamble doesn't pay off is minuscule compared to any player. 

The NFL is profitable because people love football. It's ingrained in our culture. That has more to do with it than anything the owners or NFL have done. 

Why can baseball and basketball have guaranteed contracts with significantly more money than football and still be profitable? You could say the rosters are way smaller which is a valid point. But there is more than enough money to pay all NFL players more. 

45 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I never said the owners don't take a risk. BUT the repercussions if their gamble doesn't pay off is minuscule compared to any player. 

The NFL is profitable because people love football. It's ingrained in our culture. That has more to do with it than anything the owners or NFL have done. 

Why can baseball and basketball have guaranteed contracts with significantly more money than football and still be profitable? You could say the rosters are way smaller which is a valid point. But there is more than enough money to pay all NFL players more. 

I think NBA and MLB players make too much.    I like how the NFL does it.   Forces players to be their best throughout their career.  

Although it is not what other NFL teams have been doing, I like the Chargers stance.   Giving a guy $17 million dollars before he even plays a down seems crazy.   Big risk.   I know the players are risking injury, but it is what they signed up to do and are getting paid very well for it.   Otherwise they would not be doing this.

Bosa should fire his agent because I think the agent is using him to secure future clients will get more money.  

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

So if he won't play the chargers can't trade him?? That's ignorant lol they just have to keep him no matter how useless he is this season lol

I agree.   I think teams should be able to trade their players whether signed or not. 

If they cut him, can a team pick him up.    Not sure why they would cut him.  

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.   I think teams should be able to trade their players whether signed or not. 

If they cut him, can a team pick him up.    Not sure why they would cut him.  

I'm sure they could cut him but they won't cause they get nothing in return they have to wait til next season. He won't count agains their roster either so they will just keep him. I think it's stupid cause it hurts both IMO Bosa gets no playing time and the chargers can't trade him and possibly get someone that could help them this year.

19 hours ago, SP_21 said:
1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

CEO's of corporations don't take risks, the stockholders do.  And the stockholders risk is entirely limited by what they invest in the corporation.  If we want to talk about all the risks that business owners take then we should just eliminate the concept of limited liability of corporations all together.  If a corporation goes belly up and can't pay it's debts then the stockholders have their wages garnished to pay the corporation's debts. 

Also at this point with the NFL there is almost no risk in owning an NFL team.  What was the last NFL team to go belly up??

There are teams that have been so bad year after year after year after year and they still make a profit.  The risks to both CEO's and NFL owners in this post are heavily overstated.

However NFL players risk their health and everything to play the game.  Which is fine IMO when the player does have a multi-million dollar signing bonus.  Like I'm hardly concerned about Bosa because he could sign on the dotted line and get millions right now.  So I'm not feeling sorry for him in the least.

But lower level players risk their health and everything and see either no signing bonus or very little bonus.  Players in the 4th round and lower are pretty much meat for the grinder that is the NFL in a lot of ways.  

To the first line because that is complete hogwash the CEO's don't take risks, especially when you turn around and say the stockholders take the risks.  Because guess what, a lot of the CEO's compensation is in stocks.

Also there is a risk in owning an NFL team, you are just looking short term.  For example, it is being talked about more and more, people are cutting the cord, cable and satellite companies are losing customers, which means the companies that advertise are spending their money somewhere other than TV ads, which means TV revenues are going to drop, which means the salary cap is going to drop, which means the pool of money available to each team will drop, which means teams will make less money, which means it's less profitable.  Now when that happens, players will still be on their current contracts so teams and NFL will have to look for other revenue streams, if those don't make as much money what do you think will happen?  Will the players give up part of their salary to make up the difference?  No (they will indirectly but I'll get to that in a minute), they will still want their paycheck per their contract and the team owner doesn't have the option of saying... I know I owe you a $3 million roster bonus but I only have $2 million in the bank so that is all you get.  They have to pay the roster bonus which means they need to borrow the money.

Then you claim players in the 4th round are lower are meat for the grinder.  No they are not, if they do not feel the reward is worth the risk then don't sign with the team.

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

I don't know much about baseball contracts but I do know in basketball only 1st round draftees have a guaranteed contract.  Now, to tie that into Bosa, what if a 1st round pick said he wanted his entire guarantee paid up front, the NBA wouldn't do that.  From my understanding Bosa is getting a guarantee contract and a guaranteed signing bonus, but that is basically what Bosa is trying to do, he's sayiing he doesn't want 85% of his signing bonus now and 15" March of 2017, he is saying he wants it all now and he doesn't want to pay any of it back if he retires or quits or the team cuts him before the contract is expired.

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm sure they could cut him but they won't cause they get nothing in return they have to wait til next season. He won't count agains their roster either so they will just keep him. I think it's stupid cause it hurts both IMO Bosa gets no playing time and the chargers can't trade him and possibly get someone that could help them this year.

Why cant they trade him?

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Also there is a risk in owning an NFL team, you are just looking short term.  For example, it is being talked about more and more, people are cutting the cord, cable and satellite companies are losing customers, which means the companies that advertise are spending their money somewhere other than TV ads, which means TV revenues are going to drop, which means the salary cap is going to drop, which means the pool of money available to each team will drop, which means teams will make less money, which means it's less profitable.  Now when that happens, players will still be on their current contracts so teams and NFL will have to look for other revenue streams, if those don't make as much money what do you think will happen?  Will the players give up part of their salary to make up the difference?  No (they will indirectly but I'll get to that in a minute), they will still want their paycheck per their contract and the team owner doesn't have the option of saying... I know I owe you a $3 million roster bonus but I only have $2 million in the bank so that is all you get.  They have to pay the roster bonus which means they need to borrow the money.

Then you claim players in the 4th round are lower are meat for the grinder.  No they are not, if they do not feel the reward is worth the risk then don't sign with the team.

The NFL isn't going down and will find a way to keep the dollars rolling.  

Listen the NFL is getting some of the worst press ever.  Between players committing crimes, the concussion thing, and the dictatorial powers of the commissioner the NFL is getting some really bad press.

Yet the revenue every year just keeps going up and up and up.  We know that because the Salary cap is directly tied to revenue.  And the salary cap has yet to drop.  

If you have the money to purchase an NFL team in the first place it's an almost risk free investment with big payoffs.  The last time an NFL team went defunct was 1952.  

Yes there is some risk on individual players but if you look at it as a wider investment, that you are just going to pay the salaries that your GM sets you up to pay and then reap in the profits from every revenue stream you have as an owner, it's a nearly risk free investment.  

Not only do the profits keep rolling in.

As far as players 4th round and lower.  Those guys are playing on the long shot hope of being able to make it big.  A lot of them won't even make it out of their first training camp on a roster.  Those that do will play on special teams until they get injured or until they put in 4 years on special teams and NFL teams won't sign them after that because they have a bigger minimum salary then younger guys.  They are literally meat for the grinder.  But they will play on the 1 in 5,000 chance that they could become a good player in the league.

That's their decision to be meat for that grinder, I'm not discounting that.  But they are meat for the grinder.  That's how they are treated.  

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As a Colts fan, I hope Bosa reenters the draft next year and it blows up in both their faces, they deserve it for not compromising.

Here's the problem for Bosa... the Chargers have his rights.  They will hold on to them until just before the draft begins.  That means Bosa cannot even visit or workout for other teams, let alone go to the combine again. No other team gets to see what shape and condition Bosa is in before the draft.

I doubt anyone drafts him before round 4 at the earliest, and every team might see if he slides to round 6 or 7.

I thought this might go to Bosa losing 2 or 3 paychecks, then signing and everyone move on.  Now, I'm not so sure.  And I am hearing on NFL radio (SiriusXM) the Charger fan base is largely in support of the team, not the player.  It's ugly, and somehow may get even more so.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

This is the Chargers response to that-

Our contract discussions and offers to the representatives of Joey Bosa have been both fair and structurally consistent with the contracts of every other Chargers player.

Our offer included:

• An initial signing bonus payment that is larger than any player in the League has received in the last two drafts.

More money in this calendar year than every player in this year’s draft except one (QB Carson Wentz).

• The largest payment and the highest percentage of signing bonus received in the first calendar year of any Chargers’ first-round selection since the inception of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (2011).

We gave Joey’s representatives our best offer last night, which was rejected today. The offer that we extended was for Joey to contribute during all 16 games and beyond. Joey’s ability to contribute for an entire rookie season has now been jeopardized by the valuable time he has missed with his coaches and his teammates. Since Joey will not report at this time, his ability to produce not just early in the season, but throughout the entire season, has been negatively impacted.

As a result, we will restructure our offer since Joey will be unable to contribute for the full 16 game season without the adequate time on the practice field, in the classroom, and in preseason games.

So even if Joey signs somewhere down the road, the Chargers are already reducing the amount of guaranteed money Bosa can get due to not being able tocontribute on the field for a full 16 game season.  It is going to get very ugly.

16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

As far as players 4th round and lower.  Those guys are playing on the long shot hope of being able to make it big.  A lot of them won't even make it out of their first training camp on a roster.  Those that do will play on special teams until they get injured or until they put in 4 years on special teams and NFL teams won't sign them after that because they have a bigger minimum salary then younger guys.  They are literally meat for the grinder.  But they will play on the 1 in 5,000 chance that they could become a good player in the league.

Not "literally".

Actually the 4th round draft picks have been getting signing bonuses of half a million dollars.   4 year 3 million $$ contracts.   Not too shabby.    Even 7th rounders are getting $2.5 million dollar salarys with almost $100 thousand signing bonuses.