Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joey bosa

CR91

Bosa can NOT be traded.    Repeat, NOT be traded until, I believe,  the new calendar year starting next March.

Odds are he'd be traded right before the 2017 draft to try and maximize leverage.   

If Bosa wants to play in 2016,  he either plays for San Diego or for no one.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SP_21 said:

They will definitely owe the team money. And although NFL players make a lot of money the discrepancy between players pay and the amount of money the NFL and teams make is ridiculous. Not to mention teams can cut players with almost zero repercussion and even if they have guaranteed $$ in their contract that percentage is tiny compared to other less profitable sports like basketball. 

Understood.  But my response to your comment is: either don't play in the NFL or don't have the Players Union sign the agreement.

I have yet to see a player give back money because the team thought the player was mailing it in.  It mayvhave happened, but I don't remember it.

I mean, he missed the Chargers entire training camp and is now sitting out preseason as well. I'm having a hard time imagining what he'd bring to the table this season at all. Although he was pretty much the top pass rusher in this past draft, there are probably 10 edge guys in next year's draft class that are all better than him. No need giving up a pick, or more, when that pick can be used on a player that plays the same position at a higher level.

29 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

They will definitely owe the team money. And although NFL players make a lot of money the discrepancy between players pay and the amount of money the NFL and teams make is ridiculous. Not to mention teams can cut players with almost zero repercussion and even if they have guaranteed $$ in their contract that percentage is tiny compared to other less profitable sports like basketball. 

To the bolded... no it's not. It's same argument people try to make with CEO's make so much more than the workers.  The team owners are the ones that take all the risks, they are the one's that pay out the huge signing bonuses without knowing whether or not the player will be worth it, they are the ones that pay for the medical staff, cleaning staff, maintenance crews, coaches, ticket sales people, etc. and they are still responsible for paying that whether the team is good or bad, whether the team makes money or loses money.  They are also the one responsible for having the vision to determine where their company is going to be in the next 10 years and implementing plans NOW so they can be there in 10 years.

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

To the bolded... no it's not. It's same argument people try to make with CEO's make so much more than the workers.  The team owners are the ones that take all the risks, they are the one's that pay out the huge signing bonuses without knowing whether or not the player will be worth it, they are the ones that pay for the medical staff, cleaning staff, maintenance crews, coaches, ticket sales people, etc. and they are still responsible for paying that whether the team is good or bad, whether the team makes money or loses money.  They are also the one responsible for having the vision to determine where their company is going to be in the next 10 years and implementing plans NOW so they can be there in 10 years.

It's hysterical that you think team owners are the ones taking huge risks. Players are the ones risking their career, health, and life every time they step on the field. The NFL is so profitable it would take an * of an owner not to make heaps of money. It's a bonus if they end up fielding a competitive team. 

11 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

It's hysterical that you think team owners are the ones taking huge risks. Players are the ones risking their career, health, and life every time they step on the field. The NFL is so profitable it would take an * of an owner not to make heaps of money. It's a bonus if they end up fielding a competitive team. 

...and it's the players who agree to the contract.  No one is holding a gun to their head saying take this or

you're going to die.  This is the career path they chose.  They have a union that is supposed to be looking

out for them.

Both sides are taking risks.  It's not just the players.

I met Joey and his Dad this year at the Draft. I talked with them before the Draft and then after the draft. They were excited to be in San Diego.

In my opinion I thought Joey and his father came across as snobbish and entitled.  I expect Joey's career to mimic his dad's and is the reason for the way they want the money paid out.

21 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

They are being compensated quite well for their job.   Electricians only wish pay was determined by risk.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bosa can NOT be traded.    Repeat, NOT be traded until, I believe,  the new calendar year starting next March.

Odds are he'd be traded right before the 2017 draft to try and maximize leverage.   

If Bosa wants to play in 2016,  he either plays for San Diego or for no one.

I apologize for insinuating that he could be traded.  I guess I thought that he would fall under the same "trade deadline" as the rest of the players.

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I apologize for insinuating that he could be traded.  I guess I thought that he would fall under the same "trade deadline" as the rest of the players.

No need to apologize at all.      Your line of thinking is completely logical.    I had the same thought until I read stories that said otherwise.     I don't know why the NFL has this rule,  but it does.     It may make to NFL types,  but to fans like you and me it makes NO SENSE whatsoever.      Go figure?

The Bosa deal is completely bizarre.....   and I don't know how it's going to end.     Is one side going to give in?

Or are both sides going to continue to be stubborn.    I think a player has to be on the 53 for 6 weeks to have a year count toward his pension/retirement.      I don't know if that will be enough incentive to break the logjam.

Maybe Bosa tells SD to forget everything and just trade him next spring.     Strange story................

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No need to apologize at all.      Your line of thinking is completely logical.    I had the same thought until I read stories that said otherwise.     I don't know why the NFL has this rule,  but it does.     It may make to NFL types,  but to fans like you and me it makes NO SENSE whatsoever.      Go figure?

The Bosa deal is completely bizarre.....   and I don't know how it's going to end.     Is one side going to give in?

Or are both sides going to continue to be stubborn.    I think a player has to be on the 53 for 6 weeks to have a year count toward his pension/retirement.      I don't know if that will be enough incentive to break the logjam.

Maybe Bosa tells SD to forget everything and just trade him next spring.     Strange story................

There was an ex NFL player who was on ESPN and he said that Bosa should hold out the entire season to prove his point.

That seems dumb to me.   Bosa should look out for himself.   The fact is that he could be a bust.   His value will be much less than San Diego is offering come next season.   Anyone feel that he will be worth a top 10 pick next season if he doesn't play this year?

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

They are being compensated quite well for their job.   Electricians only wish pay was determined by risk.

Quite well and fair value for the contribution they make are two different things. 

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Even so, they are offering him millions for what he hasn't done yet.  

It's the game he signed up for.

The game he signed up for is to sign a contract he doesn't see as fair?  If the teams wanted the protections so badly then they should have fought harder to include the last cba. And who cares if they are offering him millions?  It's his career and if he thinks this is the best thing to do then more power to him.

5 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The game he signed up for is to sign a contract he doesn't see as fair?  If the teams wanted the protections so badly then they should have fought harder to include the last cba. And who cares if they are offering him millions?  It's his career and if he thinks this is the best thing to do then more power to him.

I agree to a point, but there are 2 sides.  

I may think I deserve more to be a purchasing manager.   But I settle for what the going rate is.

The difference is that he knew ahead of time how the draft works.  

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It's his career and if he thinks this is the best thing to do then more power to him.

I agree with this statement, but one could say the same thing about the Chargers.  If the Chargers think it's the best thing to do, the more power to them.

IMO, it's stupid on both parties to be fighting over things that are unlikely to happen, Bosa getting cut before the end of his contract.

8 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Exactly.

I have no problem with NFL players holding out for money. I might not always like it but it is a cutthroat business. These players are the product that people pay to see. Their careers, at best, are limited. Most take a significant cut in pay once their playing days are over. Plus, NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed like the NBA.

The players should fight to get all of the money and security that they can. The teams certainly don't care about them and will not hesitate to cut them when they see it be in the team's best interest. The players have every right to do what they feel is in their own personal best interest.

I side with the (would be) millionaire in this case and not the team aka billionaire owner. You want to talk about greed, entitlement, and being spoiled then you should look at the owners before the players.

3 hours ago, cjrulli said:

Is he able to be traded? I thought I recall something saying he was unable to be traded. 

EDIT:  AH, he cannot be traded anyways. He has to play for SD or for no one. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/09/window-closes-on-potential-trade-of-joey-bosa-in-2016/

Good call, CJ..

He cant be traded..he has to go in to San Diego

10 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I agree with this statement, but one could say the same thing about the Chargers.  If the Chargers think it's the best thing to do, the more power to them.

IMO, it's stupid on both parties to be fighting over things that are unlikely to happen, Bosa getting cut before the end of his contract.

I think the chargers have more to lose, but they can do what they want.  Your coach is on the hot seat, your are trying to get the citizens of SD to fork over money to keep the team there and they are haggling over something that really won't impact the team.  Par for the course with this franchise.

30 minutes ago, ar88 said:

Exactly.

I have no problem with NFL players holding out for money. I might not always like it but it is a cutthroat business. These players are the product that people pay to see. Their careers, at best, are limited. Most take a significant cut in pay once their playing days are over. Plus, NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed like the NBA.

The players should fight to get all of the money and security that they can. The teams certainly don't care about them and will not hesitate to cut them when they see it be in the team's best interest. The players have every right to do what they feel is in their own personal best interest.

I side with the (would be) millionaire in this case and not the team aka billionaire owner. You want to talk about greed, entitlement, and being spoiled then you should look at the owners before the players.

Thank you. I was trying to say this but couldn't get it out as eloquently as you haha 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

There was an ex NFL player who was on ESPN and he said that Bosa should hold out the entire season to prove his point.

That seems dumb to me.   Bosa should look out for himself.   The fact is that he could be a bust.   His value will be much less than San Diego is offering come next season.   Anyone feel that he will be worth a top 10 pick next season if he doesn't play this year?

That was Damien Woody......   a pretty sharp guy.     Honestly,   I think there's probably going to be a work stoppage when the current CBA runs out, in, I think '21.      Players are itching for a fight.    They think they gave up way too much in the last deal and that owners are subtly getting more in contract negotiations like the one with Bosa.       Players are *.

But owners always have leverage.     It's one thing to talk about a fight.     It's another to actual start a fight,  a fight you probably can't win.

32 minutes ago, Myles said:

So you are in favor of compensation based on stats?

No what I'm saying is that players are the sole commodity in football. People pay to see them and they are the only reason the NFL exist. So I think every player, from the rookie UDFA to Aaron Rogers, should make more money. Not only more money but it should be guaranteed. 

10 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

That's not true he can deny playing for them just like Eli did to them and like Elway did to us back in the day.

I applaud both.  Careers are short, can't waste time playing for poorly run teams.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

I think the chargers have more to lose, but they can do what they want.  Your coach is on the hot seat, your are trying to get the citizens of SD to fork over money to keep the team there and they are haggling over something that really won't impact the team.  Par for the course with this franchise.

The head coach is the one I feel sympathy for.  He is trying to keep his job and the 3rd pick in the draft is unavailable to him, at this point Bosa will probably not be able to contribute much the first part of the season.

4 hours ago, Myles said:

NFL players are making more money every year so I disagree that they are being treated unfairly.

"unfairly" is kind of a relative term.  They may make a ton of money but we don't know how they are treated by the organization they play for 

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

Chargers could end this today if they would just give him the guarantees up front. Which should have been done already

I don't know the full story and what Bosa's camp is arguing here, but the contract offered by the Chargers in the link I posted seems more than fair.  They're treating him like an elite player giving him all these bonuses and whatnot, but he hasn't even accomplished anything on the field.  Again, I don't know Bosa's side and all I've read is what the Chargers have said, so I'm going to have some bias here.  But it seems like the Chargers are trying to give him what he wants/give him what's more than fair, and he's still refusing.