Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philbin Wired

IndyD4U

Good stuff.  I remember watching Hard Knocks with the Dolphins and he ran a pretty tight practice.  Not that it paid off in games.

He certainly knows what he's doing and what he wants from the guys. 

It was funny seeing Thornton trying to butter him up at the beginning of the clip. 

Okay, I need to take my lumps & apologize to Joe Philbin, Krunk, & BOTT because when we initially hired Philbin after he was fired in Miami I was leery about this hire since Mike McCarthy called all the plays in GB when Joe cut his NFL teeth. 

SW1 was wrong. I own that & now see the hustle he has & how demanding his is holding linemen accountable every day. I was really worried about his ability to lead men after the Jonathan Martin/Ritchie Incognito fiasco & I fully admit my reservations about Joe were grossly misplaced. 

Sorry guys. Thanks for being patient with me. Joe was/is an awesome hire by Jimmy, Pags, & Grigs. When I make a mistake, I never run. I just admit I bleeped up & move on. 

If I'm being honest with myself, I was worried when Joe was also named assistant head coach to run the team in Pags absence since I didn't want our locker room fractured by a duplicate Dolphin incident & I see now that Joe's entitled to a fresh start in a new city in a familiar capacity. 

15 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Okay, I need to take my lumps & apologize to Joe Philbin, Krunk, & BOTT because when we initially hired Philbin after he was fired in Miami I was leery about this hire since Mike McCarthy called all the plays in GB when Joe cut his NFL teeth. 

SW1 was wrong. I own that & now see the hustle he has & how demanding his is holding linemen accountable every day. I was really worried about his ability to lead men after the Jonathan Martin/Ritchie Incognito fiasco & I fully admit my reservations about Joe were grossly misplaced. 

Sorry guys. Thanks for being patient with me. Joe was/is an awesome hire by Jimmy, Pags, & Grigs. When I make a mistake, I never run. I just admit I bleeped up & move on. 

If I'm being honest with myself, I was worried when Joe was also named assistant head coach to run the team in Pags absence since I didn't want our locker room fractured by a duplicate Dolphin incident & I see now that Joe's entitled to a fresh start in a new city in a familiar capacity. 

Okay, you're no longer on double secret probation. 

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Pretty cool.  I don't remember who it was but a poster was on here a few weeks ago saying that there is not a lot of coaching of fundamentals at the NFL level.  I think this video disproves that.

That was me probably.  I had an article link where 4 NFL pro linemen had to get offseason help because their line coaches didn't teach fundamentals and apparently it was league wide so they took it upon themselves to get better.  However, Philbin, I said, was the opposite.  He still believes in teaching them and likes doing so.  

3 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

That was me probably.  I had an article link where 4 NFL pro linemen had to get offseason help because their line coaches didn't teach fundamentals and apparently it was league wide so they took it upon themselves to get better.  However, Philbin, I said, was the opposite.  He still believes in teaching them and likes doing so.  

Wow.  I wonder if that was because they thought they should have had the fundamentals down since they were pros.  Every coach needs to start out with that and see how advanced or behind their guys are.

Like others, I can't remember being this excited about our line.  I hope we're not disappointed.

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Field play has to match the teaching SW1, but ya got to start somewhere and that clip was encouraging.  Steady as we go, steady as we go!

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Okay, you're no longer on double secret probation. 

BAH! Ha! HA! ROTF over that one SMRE. At least, you didn't use another quote from the movie "Animal House"..."Fat, drunk, & stupid is no way to go thru life son." 

I'm mocking myself there not you.

Actually, my favorite quote from that movie is when John Belushi yells "Nothing is over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hades no! I thought it was the Japanese? Forget it, he's Rollin'".

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

When I first saw the title, I thought may Philbin was a mole for the FBI and they gathered enough evidence to see that Irsay (alias Jimmy the Suit) is the Boss of the Indy Mob. Or at the very least the Consigliere.

i thought it had to do with excessive caffeine intake

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

It might've been you,  I'm not sure.

But the person I think it was is our friend, Gavin.

If I'm wrong,  I'm sure he'll set me straight....    but I thought that was part of the LeRaven Clark discussion and debate.....

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

When I first saw the title, I thought may Philbin was a mole for the FBI and they gathered enough evidence to see that Irsay (alias Jimmy the Suit) is the Boss of the Indy Mob. Or at the very least the Consigliere.

Joe the rat trying to take down Jimmy in the zoot suit. Sounds like Prohibition bootlegging all over again CD. 

Naturally, that would make you Eliot Ness right CD? Just joking of course. 

Those stylish hats, 1920's cars, tommy guns, & cuban cigars bring back memories. So, Jimmy was Al Capone's protege then? Alright, alright. I'll stop now. 

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Irsay said he wants Reitz to win the starting job, right? So maybe that's why Joe was being so hard on Joe, to get him extra motivated. Either way, I like it. Super entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

"Sometime today please"haha

Yeah I think he is working Rietz extra hard because they all know he has the ability to start. Whether it be at RG or RT.

8 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Pretty cool.  I don't remember who it was but a poster was on here a few weeks ago saying that there is not a lot of coaching of fundamentals at the NFL level.  I think this video disproves that.

I said it but a former O Linemen said it to. Also if this was going on the past 4 years then why wasn't it posted or made public via video or at least an interview where the O Line coach brought it up given the O Line struggles over that period. Instead we rarely got an interview from the O Line coaches period. Hard to argue it would would not have alleviated some heat the O Line coach was taking at the time.

But you are right for sure now. Nobody can blame it on not being taught fundamentals now

40 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I said it but a former O Linemen said it to. Also if this was going on the past 4 years then why wasn't it posted or made public via video or at least an interview where the O Line coach brought it up given the O Line struggles over that period. Instead we rarely got an interview from the O Line coaches period. Hard to argue it would would not have alleviated some heat the O Line coach was taking at the time.

But you are right for sure now. Nobody can blame it on not being taught fundamentals now

To be clear....

Just because there wasn't a video to show that the o-line was being taught fundamentals,  doesn't mean it wasn't happening.       Odds are strong that it was happening.      

But either (A)  it wasn't being taught well,  and/or (B) we didn't have the right players over the last four previous seasons,   or (C)  a combination of both.

Not everybody is a Joe Philbin level coach,  but that doesn't mean that fundamentals weren't being taught.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear....

Just because there wasn't a video to show that the o-line was being taught fundamentals,  doesn't mean it wasn't happening.       Odds are strong that it was happening.      

But either (A)  it wasn't being taught well,  and/or (B) we didn't have the right players over the last four previous seasons,   or (C)  a combination of both.

Not everybody is a Joe Philbin level coach,  but that doesn't mean that fundamentals weren't being taught.

Agreed. Teaching is an art, and not everyone can do it. The question is really whether things were being taught properly, and how well they were received by the players.

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed. Teaching is an art, and not everyone can do it. The question is really whether things were being taught properly, and how well they were received by the players.

Exactly.Any coach can coach the fundamentals. They know them before being hired on a NFL team. The bigger key is having a coach who can communicate with each player and what motivates each individual player. Most players react different to different styles of coaching. Some players turn off by being yelled at while others thrive with that type of coaching. I remember something Bill Parcells said one time. He said the key is knowing your players well enough to know what motivates them. Some players have to be babied while others you have to make mad to get the best out of them. Knowing the difference is what makes great coaches over others. I also recall Jimmy Johnson relaying the same basic idea about coaching.

Loved it. I like how he is really on the guys about fundamentals. We all know with how the new CBA has been along with college systems that players are coming in less-refined than ever before. They need the special attention with regards to fundamentals and I think Philbin is perfect for teaching it.

I know a lot of people are talking about him giving Reitz a hard time (and I think that shows the previous regimes attitude, if Reitz is dogging it in OTAs then that is because he could before) but the thing that really caught my attention was him telling Mewhort to get that elbow in.  It is that type of attention to detail that is important for a position coach.

13 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Because he's more than the incumbent, he's a good RT, a good RG and a good LG.  And he has all the tools to be a very good RT.

I think we are agreeing but I'm not sure. 

The point is this...Reitz was a starter from game 3 on last year, and a good one.  Reitz was excellent in the playoff run the year before.  Reitz has been a quality player anytime he has been on the field at any position.  The coaching staff acts like Reitz is a starter in 2016.

The only people who think Reitz is fighting to earn a spot are fans and certain uninformed media members.

Reitz may lose his spot to a talented up and coming player...it's the NFL....but this posture towards Reitz as some unproven commodity is just silly to me.

8 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I think we are agreeing but I'm not sure. 

The point is this...Reitz was a starter from game 3 on last year, and a good one.  Reitz was excellent in the playoff run the year before.  Reitz has been a quality player anytime he has been on the field at any position.  The coaching staff acts like Reitz is a starter in 2016.

The only people who think Reitz is fighting to earn a spot are fans and certain uninformed media members.

Reitz may lose his spot to a talented up and coming player...it's the NFL....but this posture towards Reitz as some unproven commodity is just silly to me.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood.  With the word incumbent I thought you were meaning, starting by default not because he's earned it. 

The beginning where Thornton is kissing up to Philbin is really funny. Hugh knows he better improve or he is out the door .  I also like that he riding everyone out there and offers praise when they follow direction. I do miss Howard Mudd though, That was a line coach!

Nice piece. It still doesn`t mean he is a good all around coach. I do suspect he is.
We will see how well our guys are able to execute his schemes. And how they improve.
 I was glad to see him expose Reitz.  Hopefully he can make Joe better. Reitz did look slow and sloppy.